Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Hello, I want to talk about the best ways to learn synth programming!

I have found an important point that is oft forgotten is studying your history!

Electronic music and its history is almost wholly chained to the technology and hardware of the time, and an understanding of the evolution and techniques of the genres and sounds will enrich your musical palette.

Find some genres you like and trace their origins, you'll probably find some really cool old scenes and gain practical knowledge.

Ragga Jungle is one of my favorite genres now thanks to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Say what you will about the album, but Robot Rock's synths are so bouncy and wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2tYJoocSgg

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Does anyone have any resources for Ableton's Analog instrument? It seems incredibly capable and useful, but I haven't seen much in the ways of exploring that. Any help?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Is there a resource for the characteristics of older retro synths that I could use to aid me in recreating them in Ableton's Analog???

I am sure I can find a 303 preset somewhere, but I want to understand why a 303 sounds like a 303, so that way I can recreate it in any synth I want. Any help?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's more about the sequencer and the squelchy filter than anything else. I mean, even a Moog Phatty set to a saw with the res up and sequenced by a 303 sounds kind of like a 303.

Though you could also buy a 303. :getin:

Don't encourage me to spend money in the synth thread :cry:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

ejstheman posted:

Perhaps a dumb question, but how does one say "moogerfooger"? "Moog" is like "mow" as in "mow the lawn" except with a "g" on the end, so I kind of want to say "MOW grr FOE grr" ("foe" as in "enemy"), but I also kind of want to rhyme it with "booger booger" because that makes it sound more like "motherfucker".

like the n-word

edit: effort post;

Have there been any cool developments with those lego-like synth modules that would stick together? And they were going open source? I remember there was cool talk of where it was going, but never followed up...

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

This is awesome and I love everything about this.

EDIT: Someone buy me one of these I'm losing my poo poo over it, holy cow.

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 26, 2014

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

MJP posted:

Korg Triton Pro at a local Sam Ash for $450... worth it as a digital piano replacement if I want synth functionality and 88 keys, no weighted action?

Or a Yamaha S08 with a stand, case, and pedals for $500 on Craigslist... that's really, really tempting. 88 keys, weighted, an actual synth... ergh. I'm really tempted to take the plunge so I can at least still have piano feel.

I bought a P-105 Yamaha digital piano, 88 eighted keys, for about 600$

It's USB so you can obviously sync it with any digital synths you have, plus you have the advantage of also having a piano.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Flanky posted:

Bummer, makes sense. Maybe I just buy a Snow or something in a few months.

Buy me a 303 while you're there :3:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

I've gotten three different answers on whether having more headroom in digital recording is good or not. I'm so confused. Mixing thread was like "uhh headroom doesn't matter in digital" but in the home recording thread it was recommended to record to -6dB

I just make sure it never peaks above 0, but when I was starting out, I had a similar problem - I was so afraid of being too loud I was making it too quiet!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

treasureplane posted:

The Machinedrum is amazing. Never fails to do the job and do it well. Maybe the only piece of gear I own that I can't imagine parting with.

stop making me want to buy things :gonk:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Not a synth question per se, but I've been sampling out all of the sounds from my Roland MC-909 into Ableton. My goal is to output each individual patch and drum hit to its own .wav.

Right now all of the patches are recorded into 4-5 clips of 128 waveforms each. I know I can use Ableton's slice options to cut each patch to a sample on a Drum Rack, but I'm looking for a way to easily cut out each individual sample and save it separately. The samples themselves have about a bar of silence between them, it would be very easy for software to detect the beginning and end of each sound. I'm basically looking for an equivalent to the MPC auto-chop feature but on my Mac. Any suggestions for a way to do this in Ableton/Logic/Audacity or can someone recommend other software?

If you don't mind ponying up the cash I think this would solve you a lot of headaches. I'll stand by this endorsement btw, great great samples.

http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/products.html

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Just bought one of these as well as some extra modules (for a percussion sequencer as well).

I only ended up spending about $275 and I'm utterly convinced that I can make brilliant stuff with it. Can't wait to share.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Griff Lee posted:

Just bought one of these as well as some extra modules (for a percussion sequencer as well).

I only ended up spending about $275 and I'm utterly convinced that I can make brilliant stuff with it. Can't wait to share.

I am a white man and I demand acknowledgement

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I think I'm going to try and design a portable jambox with my littlebits and other hijacked hardware. I by chanced snagged 2 studio monitors from work (great speakers too) so I think I can use those. Would anyone like to help? I need it!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
My synth kit came and I am pleased to report it is everything I thought it would be. This is the future! It's absolutely amazing.

I will upload something for you tomorrow but till then, my cat is enjoying the toys as well.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Radiapathy posted:

I'm putting the proceeds from my Virus toward a wedding ring, apparently.

Don't let her kill the band, man.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

Griff Lee did you post anything from your Little Bits Synth yet? I'm keen to hear it if you do.

I haven't posted anything yet but I've been playing with it constantly for the last few days and it's boatloads of fun. I will try to share ASAP! :)

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

ynohtna posted:

In the meantime, you still need to tell us the name of your fluffy synth kitty. :colbert:

Lucy, Queen of the Dumb Idiots <3

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Ugh okay okay I'm caving, I really want a TB-3 ;A; The only specific analog retro synth I'd ever really want is a 303 so it's perfect.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

BKPR posted:

I have a question for those of you who actually still make music

:drat:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Buy me an AIRA TB-3

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I love Acid Tracks so goddamn much why can't the 303 fairy come wahh :cry:

edit: Acid House in general kicks so much rear end

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I will be in Chicago in early October for about two weeks. I have been seriously working at my musicianship for the last year or so, and am actually not terrible now.

I would love to meet some goon musician friends while I'm there. I can't do PMs but just let me know and I'll post my email.

Hope to meet some neat goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

PIGS AROUND THE WORLD SPROUT WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT, AS WHEELS ON A ROLAND APPEAR IN SIGHT

oh my