Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Why do people still hate the Angels even though they've been basically irrelevant for a decade

Mike Trout fans maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

reflex posted:

How many games do you people watch a season? I'm looking at the Nats schedule and there is a stretch in April of 20 days where there is a game every day. How the hell. Does baseball eventually degrade into highlight watching for 75% of the regular season or does it become your main time sink/you get really invested?

For me it depends on the expected quality of the game, especially the pitching matchup. If it's two aces I'll pay more attention. Most of the time after the first week or two I usually turn the game on every night, watch the first inning, and then just putz around the house and catch bits and pieces, trying to catch at-bats by specific players. If something cool starts happening I'll pay more attention, and often I'll watch the 10-minute condensed game video MLB puts out before I go to bed or in the morning.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Why do people still hate the Angels even though they've been basically irrelevant for a decade

They are a team from an annoying place that most of us associate annoying things (Rally Monkey, Mike Scioscia) with. Also, it's sports, hating people and teams for stupid reasons is fun.

e: Also, expect this exact question to cause about 4 multi-page derails in baseball threads this year.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Because gently caress the Angels, that's why.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Because gently caress the Angels, that's why.

Yeah but gently caress the Rangers, who have some how managed to put together a worse rotation than the Angels

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Politicalrancor posted:

Yeah but gently caress the Rangers, who have some how managed to put together a worse rotation than the Angels

If the Angels had the same number of injuries to SPs that the Rangers have had the last two years, you'd be their #3 starter right now.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

reflex posted:

How many games do you people watch a season? I'm looking at the Nats schedule and there is a stretch in April of 20 days where there is a game every day. How the hell. Does baseball eventually degrade into highlight watching for 75% of the regular season or does it become your main time sink/you get really invested?

I attend around 75 games a season, and watch another 50-60 on t.v.

This is just Astros. I check box scores for every team.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
A great way to keep up with scores and stuff is to follow @Baseballin140 on Twitter. They tweet a summary of every game every day.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Memes

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Rally Monkey

Mornacale posted:

They are a team from an annoying place that most of us associate annoying things (Rally Monkey, Mike Scioscia) with. Also, it's sports, hating people and teams for stupid reasons is fun.

e: Also, expect this exact question to cause about 4 multi-page derails in baseball threads this year.

But how can anyone hate ~*~*~*~*my team*~*~*~*~

reflex posted:

I put them on in the background but I would go in person if I lived closer. Before the playoffs I'll watch maybe 30 or 35 Orioles games very closely and then another 30 or so primetime baseball games. The rest I'll just watch in the form of highlights or if I get an update on my phone letting me know a game is going into extra innings and catch up on box scores later. Anything more and I'd probably go insane. The pace is nice, especially for watching live, but it can be a bit grating, especially in comparison to other sports I enjoy.,

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

reflex posted:

I probably manage to catch 130+ Brewers games a season (gently caress day games.) I go into each of them with the intention of watching the whole thing, but if the Brewers are handily getting their asses kicked (which is often) or it turns into a real snooze-fest (which is also often,) I'll either work on other things with the game going in the background or switch over to a different game. And I fall asleep listening to Vin Scully every opportunity I get. Baseball takes up the majority of my free time from April to September. I try to be super productive with all that freed up time the rest of the year to make up for it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

They are in Anaheim and represent everything terrible about suburbia.

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

We hope anyone sees you again...
Whatever I'll be laughing at all of you when you're in hell for not worshiping a godly team

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

reflex posted:

Baseball has about 3 weeks of off days spread across the entire season.

Its a good thing to pop open a beer to when you get off work.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

The Angels are basically the team for people who say they're from "Los Angeles" when they're really from Orange County and complain about the "urban crowd" if they're ever forced to leave strip mall hell. Basically if you think of Applebee's as a wild night out and/or you got mad at me for making fun of Applebee's, they're your team.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

reflex posted:

I try - and inevitably fail - to watch every Red Sox game, but almost never as my Main Activity; I'll have it on while I eat or play games or whatever. That's part of what attracts me to baseball, actually; because it moves at a relatively leisurely pace, you don't need to focus on it with laser-like intensity for the entire length of the game.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

The Angels are basically the team for people who say they're from "Los Angeles" when they're really from Orange County and complain about the "urban crowd" if they're ever forced to leave strip mall hell. Basically if you think of Applebee's as a wild night out and/or you got mad at me for making fun of Applebee's, they're your team.

Since I am from neither does that mean I can still root for them

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Root for whoever you want, every team has dumb fans

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah I honestly don't seriously care who you root, even if it's the Red Sox or whatever. I just like talking poo poo about Not My Team when I am King Smug on the yankeesfans.gif team. What's the point of sports without talking some poo poo?

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

But how can anyone hate ~*~*~*~*my team*~*~*~*~

As a Cardinals fan for a long time I would think this, until lurking SAS last year convinced me to embrace that hatred. It does help me not care about it when most the reasons SAS will list for hating the Cards annoy me too. #bestfans #trader

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

no. i will tell you who to root for. you're an arizona diamondbacks fan now.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

ninja alamode posted:

As a Cardinals fan for a long time I would think this, until lurking SAS last year convinced me to embrace that hatred. It does help me not care about it when most the reasons SAS will list for hating the Cards annoy me too. #bestfans #trader

basically if your team is successful people are gonna hate them. people hated the angels for a really long time because they were routinely successful despite overperforming year after year. It finally caught up to them and now we get to laugh. The gently caress the Angels thing died over the last few years.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

People don't hate the Yankees enough, anymore. Honestly, I am far too friendly with far too many Red Sox fans.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Politicalrancor posted:

People don't hate the Yankees enough, anymore. Honestly, I am far too friendly with far too many Red Sox fans.

If you like seeing unexpected things happen in baseball, it was hard to root against the Yankees last season since it was pretty hard to understand how they kept winning games.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Politicalrancor posted:

You think you've escaped Yankee haterdom, but time will bring it back again. Hating baseball teams is a flat circle. You can't break the cycle.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Austrian mook posted:

So, the Seattle Mariners, truly the greatest of teams, for the greatest of people. I'm super hyped to watch some games this year, although I am a pretty huge newbie. What can you guys tell me about the teams chances? I figure it's not good since our pitching rotation is still bad, aside from the King. We signed that one guy who's supposed to be pretty good, and we've got some pretty good young players so hey, maybe things aren't that dark! yes they are

I actually kind of like Seattle's rotation. Iwakuma is coming off a great year, and Ramirez had a great spring training (which means nothing!).

Seattle had a weird offseason, because they made one huge signing, and then nothing of importance (unless Morrison, Hart, and Rodney are considered 'important'). My guess is that they are around a .500 team this year.

reflex posted:

Baseball is the perfect background sport. I'd guess I probably watch 30-50% of the Jays game, and parts of 60-80% of them. I may be overestimating.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Too long of a team name.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

They can go to disneyland whenever they want :colbert:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
As a Red Sox fan, I kind of hope the Yankees do really well so that they can be credible rivals again. :v:

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Rincewind posted:

As a Red Sox fan, I kind of hope the Yankees do really well so that they can be credible rivals again. :v:

Considering their abysmal injuries last year, the Yankees performed insanely well.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It was mostly a mirage of an April where Travis Hafner was healthy and Vernon Wells was good. It was way, way downhill from there.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

tadashi posted:

They are in Anaheim and represent everything terrible about suburbia.

Why are people always hating on sports teams from Anaheim, I know from personal experience that they're some of the best ones :smug:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Last year was my first year of the Experiment To Love Baseball; I don't follow sports and I decided that I would go all in. Joined a fantasy league, shared an mlb.tv premium subscription, bought a hat.
This year, I didn't get in to a fantasy league, which is sad, because I don't have a favorite team, which kinda means the experience of watching baseball has no end-game for me. I wouldn't be doing it to see if "my team" got the pennant, or that "my players" did well. I'm still trying to keep up though.
My question is, I'm looking for a good quality Standings Board that I could update every day on the wall of my cubicle, something not so huge, like maybe 11x17; something like that. Just a little ritual every day to remind me that baseball exists and I should watch it. Any ideas?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

Why are people always hating on sports teams from Anaheim, I know from personal experience that they're some of the best ones :smug:

Not to derail but also gently caress the Ducks for being allowed to steal players from the North Stars ahead of one of the greatest robberies of a sports franchise in history.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Quad posted:

Last year was my first year of the Experiment To Love Baseball; I don't follow sports and I decided that I would go all in. Joined a fantasy league, shared an mlb.tv premium subscription, bought a hat.
This year, I didn't get in to a fantasy league, which is sad, because I don't have a favorite team, which kinda means the experience of watching baseball has no end-game for me. I wouldn't be doing it to see if "my team" got the pennant, or that "my players" did well. I'm still trying to keep up though.
My question is, I'm looking for a good quality Standings Board that I could update every day on the wall of my cubicle, something not so huge, like maybe 11x17; something like that. Just a little ritual every day to remind me that baseball exists and I should watch it. Any ideas?

Oh this is pretty good, I second this request. I don't hang enough stuff on my cubicle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Quad posted:

The easiest way for you to get in to it is going to be picking a team. You should pick a cool team like the A's.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The easiest way for you to get in to it is going to be picking a team. You should pick a cool team like the A's.

You seem to have misspelled "Tigers". :colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Deteriorata posted:

I said "cool" :regd09:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deteriorata posted:

Teams aren't allowed to be cool if they have a payroll over $150 million

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Ehh, if I had to get into a team I'd have to go for the best team in Baseball (Boston, as of 10-30-13), until the next World Series came and changed that title. But I'm more trying to appreciate the sport as a concept, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Quad posted:

I'm sure you looked, but Amazon sells that exact thing for $40. Or you can just buy the mini pennants for $10 and make your own.

• Locked thread