Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I don't think any manager is gonna pull a guy working a perfect game and anyway a perfect game doesn't usually take a lot of pitches because of the whole not letting a guy on base thing. Most of the perfect games have only taken between about 100 and 115 pitches. Also maybe you get lucky and you get a hyper efficient David Cone perfecto where he only had to throw 88 pitches to get it done, with 10 strikeouts no less.

Also Don Larsen actually threw a perfect game in the 1956 World series in only 97 pitches. That was game five though so there was no need to preserve him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Because gently caress the Angels, that's why.

Yeah but gently caress the Rangers, who have some how managed to put together a worse rotation than the Angels

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

People don't hate the Yankees enough, anymore. Honestly, I am far too friendly with far too many Red Sox fans.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Monicro posted:

There is, but unfortunately it's woefully incomplete and probably won't get a whole lot more writeups (complete it jerks).

I'll do the yankees tonight, jeez

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Jose Fernandez is the FUCKIN COOLEST

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Is there any way to see which players are most successful in 0-2 counts?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

TheHumanEyeball posted:

bbref's play index ought to do it, though I think some of its functionality is restricted to subscribers (I don't subscribe so I don't know for sure). Here's a list of all hitters with >=50 PAs in an 0-2 count last year ranked by OPS.

Perfect I love you

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

AA is for Quitters posted:

who'd the Bucs get? McCutcheon? Cause i remember seeing his debut season when i was living in WV and it was dirt cheap to see games (we got tickets behind home plate for like $30), and he was phenomenal from the start.

Lastings Milledge

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

ted williams sucked in the field

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

well im going to play with this all day

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Since the Pirates aren't going anywhere this year, can anyone tell me which Small-market AL team I should bandwagon on this year?

no team, stop watching baseball, its april. you don't have the stomach for it.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

If you're gonna play softball or golf in the hat, bend the brim. If not, well, thanks for heads up, dork.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

VJeff posted:

What kind of process goes into relocating an MLB team?

Put more directly: Will my dream of the Cleveland Indians being moved to Montreal ever bear fruit?

eh, everything ive heard is that its another 20-30 years before they try Montreal Baseball again. Also, probably not the Indians, considering they are coming up on their 100th anniversary next year and the Dolans have a poo poo ton of money.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Tharizdun posted:

Occasionally I read about something like "the Rockies have purchased the Montgomery Biscuits" or something where an org buys an entire minor league team.

Does this mean they get all the players? Or do the current Biscuits all scatter up or down a level in their original org and the Rockies just buy the name, stadium and location?

So, there are two things that could be happening here. Typically, ownership of minor league teams is somewhat autonomous, because the only thing that the MiLB ownership pays for and profits from is the stadium, concessions etc. They have no stake in the actual players, who are paid for by the parent MLB organization.

MiLB teams are "affiliated" with MLB teams, but those affiliations can change over time. Recently, the Dodgers and the Angels swapped affiliations, which is just a location swap, really. The reason for affiliate changes isn't always clear, at least to me, but sometimes its because they want their prospects closer to the MLB team.

Sometimes ownership of an MLB franchise will buy an MiLB franchise as well, as another money making venture

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Kershaw, Grienke, Tanaka, Darvish, Sale, Price, Verlander, Wainwright, Cueto, Hamels, Strasburg, Gonzalez

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

my favorite quick and dirty stats OPS and OPS against.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

dunno, trade deadline could be good to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

what happens to a guy in Arb that has an injury that causes them to miss a season or seasons? Like Tyler Skaggs for example.

• Locked thread