Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

reflex posted:

I've been reading the old newbie thread and one of the stronger pieces of advice I've seen is "follow a division, not the whole league," which makes the whole thing less intimidating. Anything fun (rivalries, rowdy emotions, etc.) I should know about the NL East for this season? I'm going to try and follow the Nationals.

Get ready for plenty of Mets schadenfreude. They're still suffering from the effects of their financial strategy of "Invest everything with their BFF Bernie Madoff" and having to pay settlement costs for the afflicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Why would the Angels only give Mike Trout a six year deal when they just gave Albert Pujols a ten year deal when he was like, 9 years older? I'd figure that if you're going to give anyone a ten year deal, it'd be someone that's 22. And with a six year deal, as long as Trout continues to put up numbers like he has, he's going to be a free agent at like, 29? How much money is he going to make?

I would suspect his agents would have prevented him from being extended any further. Players in baseball tend to peak around 30-35, so Trout will be getting paid a ton more if he breaks his deal at age 29, instead of age 31.

He will be getting paid a fuckton of money unless something causes him to regress. Probably 30M AAV.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mornacale posted:

The peak in baseball is ~26-28, 30-35 is all decline for most players.

Yeah. That was my brain slipping. He would still be getting a bigger second FA contract if he frontloads it starting at age 29, as opposed to 31.

reflex posted:

Is pitcher W/L record a dumb stat to care about? It seems weird how Strasburg on the Nationals started 30 games last year, but is 8-9 when it comes to W/L.

Not really, but its like the only counting statistic that pitchers get, aside from K/BBs, so it gets played up a bit.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 31, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

reflex posted:

How many games do you people watch a season? I'm looking at the Nats schedule and there is a stretch in April of 20 days where there is a game every day. How the hell. Does baseball eventually degrade into highlight watching for 75% of the regular season or does it become your main time sink/you get really invested?

Baseball has about 3 weeks of off days spread across the entire season.

Its a good thing to pop open a beer to when you get off work.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VJeff posted:

What kind of process goes into relocating an MLB team?

Put more directly: Will my dream of the Cleveland Indians being moved to Montreal ever bear fruit?

No. Most teams at the moment are pretty satisfied with where they are, though Tampa Bay and Oakland are looking to get new stadiums. They're in the 5th and 7th oldest stadiums on the market.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

And baseball is probably the most easy to understand of the major sports. The NFL contains contracts with made-up numbers that don't actually mean anything and are frequently renegotiated to circumvent the cap, and the NBA's cap holds and trade exemptions and bird rights and max contracts are only understood by a weird guy with a Top Gun mustache.

Don't forget about paying a hockey player until he's 60 to lower his AAV hit against the cap.

Which I think is gone now, but that was hilarious.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Everblight posted:

reminder that Bobby Bonilla is still on the Mets payroll, and will be for at least another decade.

That was a different scenario. The Mets settled with him to take the $6M he was owed, pay him 8% annual interest, and safely invested it with a 10% annual ROI in a fund owned by the best man at the owners wedding.

As opposed to sticking it in the contract outright.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
For those who don't know, the Mets ownership was bffs with a Mr. Bernie Madoff.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

If an error occurs on what should have been the third out, all runs scored after that are unearned.

Only for the team and the pitcher who in the game at the time of the error. If another pitcher comes in for relief, he doesn't get that benefit of the doubt.

So with 2 outs with Pitcher A pitching, Hitter B reaches on an error. Pitcher C comes in relief, and then promptly gives up a homerun to Hitter D. Pitcher A would be charged with an unearned run, Pitcher C would be charged with an earned run, and the team gets 2 unearned runs.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Drive them an hour up to Manchester and watch the Fisher Cats :colbert:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VJeff posted:

What positions does the most offense typically come from and what positions are typically more like "eh he catches the ball good, who cares if he's no good at the plate."

My assumption is something like:
Offense: 1B, 2B, COF, DH (in :911: league)
Defense: CF, C, SS, 3B

Or is it just that every team does what they can with the players they can acquire and there's no trend?

Swap 2B and 3B. In general the key defensive positions are up the middle. CF covers the most outfield 2B/SS cover the most ground in the infield. (SS is more valuable than 2B, since more balls are hit towards the position and need to make longer throws.)

3B is kind of in the middle between good offense and defense, because you need a good arm, but they don't cover as much ground as SS/2B.

edit:

This is what Iget for making coffee.

Mornacale posted:

One warning: just because a position is "easier" than another does NOT mean that any player can move there. Catcher is an extremely tough position, but it doesn't require the range that SS/2B/CF do. 2B is "harder" than 3B but 3B requires arm strength that most second basemen don't have (if they did, they'd usually be shortstops).

You're also not going to slot a left-handed fielder into 2B/SS/3B.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JoeRules posted:

Basically, "black hole" is pretty fair for this season. His BABIP is down 40 points from his career average/what you'd normally expect, so a small part of it is that he's just getting unlucky.

He has barely played 2 seasons over 3 years.

Career BABIP is worthless.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JoeRules posted:

Out of curiosity, how many PA would you say it takes for career BABIP to be of value?

More than 2 seasons. His career isn't long enough to break it down to being an issue of luck, or hey, the book on how to pitch him is much better.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

Dee Gordon fouled to deep left just now. The left fielder went to play it but the ball bounced away.

What the hell is that? Either it's playable or it's not. I feel like if you attempt to catch foul ball and fail, that should count as a good ball.

Why would you give the umpires even more judgment calls

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tony Phillips posted:

What the Hell? It was foul all the way. Left fielder ran in that direction and never touched it or had a chance to barring a stupidly dangerous dive/slide into a wall. For what possible reason would that have been a fair ball or whatever you're talking about?

No - Gordon was leading off the bottom of the 1st.

Hahahaha.

Yeah, let's have the LF break his goddamned legs so he can catch that ball.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Badfinger posted:

Because you have to draw a line making a clear delineation between a ball in play and a ball not in play, and the line in this case is literal. The person running across the line doesn't matter.

Technically he didn't run across the line marking in play or out of play, because that would have broken his legs.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

If a player tries to catch a ball in foul territory and the ball hits his glove but he can't hang on, does that put the ball into play?

A player may be charged with an error, but the ball is still dead and the batter/runners can't advance.

(This does mean it is possible to commit errors in a perfect game.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Everblight posted:

More of a general sports question, but certainly applicable to baseball:

What would happen if, mid-season, the - say - Cleveland Indians plane crashed, and the whole team died. Obviously all games would be cancelled for a day or two (like 9/11 did), but then they'd have to pick back up. What happens when a team is gone? Do the opponents Cleveland would have had to play get wins by forfeit? Does Cleveland call up literally every AAA player they can and try to field a team for the rest of the season?

If the PA agrees to it, MLB runs a
Rule 29 draft.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

I have a question about offensive interference based on a play during game one of the WS. If a runner is already out on a double play, does he have an obligation to duck if the ball is thrown over the basepath?

He can't intentionally interfere with a thrown ball.

So yes, he needs to get out of the way. However if the ball does strike him, it would require the umpire to make a ruling on intent, which is where it gets messy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kensei posted:

Designated Hitter, Hall of Fame, Wild Card.

Sorry Edgar shouldn't go in

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Everblight posted:

OK, here's a sort of effortpost, but also me just trying to walk through the stages of contracts. Correct me when I'm wrong, but also I guess maybe use this in the 2015 newbie thread? I've bolded the parts/numbers I'm not sure on.
========
Billy Ballgame is 6 years old and likes to throw the ball. He's also left-handed, and because his mother is smart, she enrolls him in little league because that's the fastest path to making money.

Billy Ballgame is now a junior in college, a starting LHP. He does not declare for the draft, but plans on finishing his degree. The Dayton Triangles throw a 34th round pick at him just to see if he bites. He doesn't, but being drafted doesn't affect his college eligibility.

Billy is finishing his senior year, and is drafted in the 2nd round by the Cleveland Spiders. They agree to a $500,000 signing bonus and the standard rookie contract. Billy ships off to Minot, ND to play for the Minot Minis, the Spiders' minor league affiliate.

Billy spends two years in Minot, making the minor-league salary of $1800/month and staying with empty-nesters who like free season tickets. During these years, he is not eligible for the Rule V draft, as he is less than 4 years removed from being drafted.

After two years in Minot, Billy is promoted to the Hole-In-Rock Juggalos, the upper-tier minor league team for some final seasoning. Because the Spiders want to push his timetable forward, they add him to the 40-man roster.

Because he is now on the 40-man roster, Billy is now pulling an MLB league-minimum salary ($440,000/year) and accruing MLB service time, although he is still playing for the Juggalos in Illinois. At the end of his third year, he is called up to the Spiders for a cup of coffee and makes a few starts after rosters expand.

At the beginning of Billy Ballgame's third year in professional baseball, he makes the Spiders out of spring training and is promoted to the 25 man roster while the decrepit ghost of Jamie Moyer is designated for assignment and sent down to the Juggalos. The season begins, and Billy Ballgame pitches well all year.

Billy (who now goes by William Ballgame) has been in the league for four years, making the league-minimum rookie salary of a few hundred thousand dollars a year. During his first four years, he has a few hiccups and is sent back to Cave-In-Rock for further seasoning and training. This is completely legal and he cannot refuse this as long as he's in his first four(?) years of service on the big league team.

At the end of his first four years, the Spiders offer him arbitration, where he submits what he thinks he's worth, the club does the same, and an arbitrator picks between the two numbers (historically siding with the players).

This year (Billy's 5th) and the next, Billy plays for an arbitrated salary that is between 40-80% of what he would make on the open market - still a steal as he's blossom into a legitimate #2 starter who's drat-near invulnerable and has pitched 1000 innings in the last 4 years and led the league in CG's over that span.

At the end of Billy's 5th full season in the Major Leagues (and 6th on the 40-man roster, including the first playing for the Juggalos), Billy declares free agency. The Spiders can offer him a qualifying offer, meaning they pay him the average of the top 20? MLB salaries at his position. If he accepts, he gets a 1-year deal to stay with the Spiders. If he declines, he gets to negotiate with any club, but the club that eventually signs him loses their 1st round pick next year, and the Spiders get an extra pick after the last team picks in the 1st round of the draft next year (so somewhere around 29-35th overall).

William joins the Yankees for a disturbing amount of money, is forced to shave his beard, and everyone decries him as an overrated innings-eater since he plays for the Evil Empire now.

You're missing the part where the Cardinals buy the Spiders and pillage their talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shine posted:

IMO use real team names, at least for all the major league clubs, because when I got to "Cleveland Spiders" and such I assumed that was minor league stuff and got a bit confused when you referred to them drafting players. Do minor league clubs do drafts of any sort? Help, I don't know baseball other than 90's Mariners lineup owned.

The Cleveland Spiders were an actual team that had a great pitcher for them named Denton Young.

Unfortunately the owners of the competing St. Louis club bought then out the team and moved all the great players off of them and onto the Perfectos.

The Spiders then went onto have an absolutely historic year and set a record for road games that will never be met.* Then they got dissolved. and led to the establishment of a an American League club in Cleveland.

*-They finished 20-134 and lost 101 road games.

• Locked thread