Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So, the Seattle Mariners, truly the greatest of teams, for the greatest of people. I'm super hyped to watch some games this year, although I am a pretty huge newbie. What can you guys tell me about the teams chances? I figure it's not good since our pitching rotation is still bad, aside from the King. We signed that one guy who's supposed to be pretty good, and we've got some pretty good young players so hey, maybe things aren't that dark! yes they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mornacale posted:

They are competing with the Angels to be the 3rd-best team in their division on paper. They will probably be decent or even above-average, but a lot of things need to break right for them to make the playoffs.

On a larger scale, they have probably the worst front office in the sport by a long way, and they seem to be less operating on a plan than flailing wildly trying to keep from getting fired. Most of the "pretty good young players" you're talking about are actually overrated, or at best made redundant by their weird offseason strategy of signing a million LF/1B/DH types.

I watched/listened a ton of games (probably at least 160) the last few seasons, mostly slacking off at work since my team is 3 time zones ahead of me.

So do the Mariners have any young guys to watch out for particularly?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Taijuan Walker could be a fun pitcher to watch. The problem with the Mariners is that their "core" was supposed to be built around Felix and the offense provided by Smoak/Ackley/Montero. None of the latter dudes panned out, and if they fail this year then the whole thing will need to be restarted.

Mike Zunino and Brad Miller, and to a lesser extent Stefen Romero, *could* be fun to watch but there's a lot of unknowns, and given the failure of the earlier core it's hard to get too excited about them.

Welcome to Mariners fandom :smithicide:

Just pretend it's still the 90s and the pain goes away, just for a second. :smith:

Also Farqhar is like the goofiest goddamn name, me and my buddy call him lord Farqhar, like the guy from Shrek. Baseball is a great sport, and so good live. Gonna go down and see the Tigers and Jays series with my buddy, road trip style.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Why do people still hate the Angels even though they've been basically irrelevant for a decade

Mike Trout fans maybe?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

tadashi posted:

They are in Anaheim and represent everything terrible about suburbia.

Why are people always hating on sports teams from Anaheim, I know from personal experience that they're some of the best ones :smug:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

AsInHowe posted:

If the Cleveland professional baseball team had any balls, they'd rename the team to the Spiders. The Cleveland Spiders would be amazing.

Cleveland Sorrow, Cleveland Despair, Cleveland Misery all seem pretty good to me.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So what's the deal with this Fernando Rodney guy the Mariners picked up? Don't follow much non-Seattle baseball.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Everblight posted:

Also google searching shows that he religiously wears his hat slightly tilted, which leads me to think sportswriters are constantly saying "that kid doesn't respect the game" and "he doesn't play the right way" and "he's a niBONGGGGGGG!" and other such curmudgeonly awfulness.

It's good to see that the "black player disrespecting the game" isn't just a hockey thing.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I like baseball, I especially like pitchers. So.. I guess a lot of the good pitchers are injured right now? Who are the really great guys I should make a habit of watching? I know Hernandez and Iwakuma are pretty fabulous, who are some of the great pitchers in the MLB right now?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Closer seems an interesting position, they're just there to play a single inning? Why? How valuable to a team is a good closer?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I saw million dollar arm, what was the reality of those two kids? Are they ever gonna play?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ElwoodCuse posted:

No, Rinku had injury problems in the low minor leagues and Dinesh went back to India.

Oh, well that sucks. Oh well, it was a pretty alright movie at least.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So, how do I read stats? What is a good ERA look like? What's a good OBP?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Really I was just looking at the Mariners rotation, I know Felix and Iwakuma own hugely, but I guess Young and Elias are pretty solid lower rotation guys as well. Our bullpen looks decent and we've got Rodney to close! Things look pretty solid from the pitching front for the Mariners, if only I could say the same about our hitters. Oh well, Jones has been pretty okay for a rookie and I'm sure theyll do something in the off-season (no)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Drunk Tomato posted:

Pitching is the only way we are above 500. We're way on the bottom for almost every offensive category, its kind of funny actually

Remember when Felix pitched a perfect game and we won off a single run scored in like the 8th? Just, Mariners as gently caress. This team used to have so many good hitters and now we have like, Cano and Seager. I love this dumb team, I remember someone telling me we almost signed Tanaka as well, could you imagine?

• Locked thread