Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I'm not sure what you're asking, are you looking for a position adjusted offensive number? You could look at oWAR by itself for that, I am pretty sure. It's listed on BBREF pages in the value area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Tharizdun posted:

If you're looking for a place to crush inefficiency, it's wasting money on Brien Tayler, Todd Van Poppel and Allan Dykstra.

Brien Taylor busted out for non-baseball reasons and was a 1-1 pick, he isn't comparable to the other two. If you're looking for an actual inefficient money-wasting 1-1 pick it's Matt Bush, not Taylor.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

tadashi posted:

While you're here, do you remember people being down on Jacob Turner before he was traded to the Marlins in 2012? I thought most people around here thought something was very wrong with him (as demonstrated by his walking a lot of people and not striking out a lot of guys in AAA that season) but someone is trying to convince me people still thought of him as a top 20 prospect. I can't find a lot of coverage on him other than a Callis chat where he was still high on him in early June of that season.

I remember some of his shine wearing off, but I can't remember why. Maybe some people were starting to realize the curveball wasn't coming around? I'll have to dig when I get home from work.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

leokitty posted:

I remember some of his shine wearing off, but I can't remember why. Maybe some people were starting to realize the curveball wasn't coming around? I'll have to dig when I get home from work.

I asked around and it was basically what I remembered, he got rushed in that weird Detroit developmental style and turned into a fastball only guy. His fastball was/is good but not good enough.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

1941 was DiMaggio's hit streak, has nothing to do with pennant winning.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Michael Corleone posted:

Well, that explains it, sort of. Would've been good fodder for the talking heads.

I'm not sure you quite understand the magnitude of being Joe DiMaggio and then having that hit streak? Also, he wasn't a unanimous win even with that. It's not one of the best MVP wins of all time but it is not a bad one.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I'm a casual baseball fan who knows very little about the levels of play below the majors. Is there a preference for players to go to the farm systems straight out of high school or to go to college to play ball?

It depends on the team. Some like to develop pitchers themselves, some like to get more complete products, some draft guys from Rice and are shocked when they get hurt and die forever.

Pander posted:

Generational talents - yes. Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg are recent examples.

I'm confused, are you using Strasburg as an example of a guy who skipped college? College is where he blossomed.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The broken bones posted:

Something I've wondered: what colleges are known for throwing their best pitchers under the bus and forcing them to throw 200 pitches in a college baseball game?

Rice, NC State and someone else I can't remember. I'll make Mr Olives pop in he'll remember/know.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

leokitty posted:

Rice, NC State and someone else I can't remember. I'll make Mr Olives pop in he'll remember/know.

After consultation, third school with the pitcher abuse rep that is kept quiet officially but widely known is TCU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Safeco didn't kill Cano's power, it disappeared over a year ago.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

This is what they mean, from JJ Cooper:

quote:

Command And Control

It’s fair to talk about control and command together, for they are two aspects of the same skill: the ability to know where you’re throwing the ball.

Control is the ability to throw strikes. Some teams quantify it through walk rate. A pitcher who walks about three batters per nine innings has average control, and the grades go up or down from there.

Twins righthander Phil Hughes set a record this year with 11.8 strikeouts per walk. His walk rate of 0.7 per nine innings is better than the best year of Greg Maddux’s career. So scouts would give Hughes a top-of-the-scale 80 grade for control.

Command is the ability to hit the intended target with precision. And when it comes to command, it can’t be judged strictly from statistics.

If a pitcher intends to throw a low-and-away strike and he ends up throwing a pitch high and away, dead-middle or up and in, he’s showing poor command—even if the ball is in the strike zone. If anyone refers to a pitcher’s walk rate when talking about command, he’s inaccurately mixing his descriptions.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

You can't choose not to accept that definition. It is what people are using when they grade or talk about command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Reds had Tony Perez, they got plenty of homers out of their firstbaseman.

• Locked thread