Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Austrian mook posted:

So, the Seattle Mariners, truly the greatest of teams, for the greatest of people. I'm super hyped to watch some games this year, although I am a pretty huge newbie. What can you guys tell me about the teams chances? I figure it's not good since our pitching rotation is still bad, aside from the King. We signed that one guy who's supposed to be pretty good, and we've got some pretty good young players so hey, maybe things aren't that dark! yes they are

I actually kind of like Seattle's rotation. Iwakuma is coming off a great year, and Ramirez had a great spring training (which means nothing!).

Seattle had a weird offseason, because they made one huge signing, and then nothing of importance (unless Morrison, Hart, and Rodney are considered 'important'). My guess is that they are around a .500 team this year.

reflex posted:

How many games do you people watch a season? I'm looking at the Nats schedule and there is a stretch in April of 20 days where there is a game every day. How the hell. Does baseball eventually degrade into highlight watching for 75% of the regular season or does it become your main time sink/you get really invested?

Baseball is the perfect background sport. I'd guess I probably watch 30-50% of the Jays game, and parts of 60-80% of them. I may be overestimating.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Why do people still hate the Angels even though they've been basically irrelevant for a decade

Too long of a team name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

This isn't a baseball question, but I figure I would ask it in this thread, rather than the N/V.

When is the best time buy tickets from StubHub, as in, when will I get the best prices? I've heard you can get some great deals, but it seems like every time I look for tickets, they are going for what the team sells them for. Is it better to wait for the day of the event? A few hours before the event? Minutes before the event?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The deadline is two hours before the event, and prices generally drop as you get closer to it. (But so does availability.) To get a good idea of it just watch and see. Say a game starts at 7:10... start watching at about 4:40 and checking every few minutes and you'll see.

Thanks! I looked tonight, and there was some pretty good prices when I checked. I will use StubHub in the future.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I was watching Ken Burns' Baseball a few weeks ago, the one on the 1910s (the third inning?), and I feel like someone on this board (probably jefferson), cast doubt on the accuracy on the popular narrative of both the Black Sox Scandal and Ty Cobb. Am I remembering this correctly? Even if this is correct, does someone care to remind me why the popular narratives are wrong?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

Basically Cobb's biographer, Al Stump, was completely full of poo poo. I'll let Prime Minister Pete Nice give you a long introduction and to a very in depth PDF

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=874

In the case of the Black Sox, the popular narrative is Eight Men Out, which is full of errors, particularly in the case of its portrayals of Joe Jackson and Eddie Cicotte

Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I should have specifically asked about Joe Jackson. I think it was jefferson who said the book portrays him as a small-town, illiterate rube, but that he was more of a factor than what Eight Men Out presents. I can't remember what was said about Cicotte.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I can't seem to find a suitable answer online, other than the standard "Mendoza Line", but I thought I'd ask here:

I have been having an off-and-on argument with a few people about a few Jays players (I will let you figure out which ones), about whether a player's defense is able to make up for his lack of bat. In a scenario where the other 8 batters in the line-up are decent (in the sense that none of them will hurt you), how bad would a batter have to be, even if they had Ozzie Smith-like D, before you had to bench them? What if the situation is changed, and the line-up isn't solid all the way through, but the player's D is "only" great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I guess the answer, just like it usually is, is that it's situational. I didn't try to give much information, because I was trying to figure out how bad a player's bat has to be before you start wanting to think about finding another option. I didn't specify a positions either, although you'd obviously take better D at the 2B/SS position, just because the position usually lacks great bats.

This is all so vague, I know.

• Locked thread