Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

"And so Hunter settled down to live one of the most dull and boring lives ever." You know, repairing tanks in a monster-filled post-apocalyptic wasteland. The usual humdrum. gently caress you game and quit being so judgmental. That should be adventure enough for anyone. :mad:

I have vague memories of playing this one, but never making much progress. Glad I'm getting a chance to see what I missed. Keeping with the spirit of the game, if our first runthrough was a mechanic named named 'Hunter,' clearly our second should be a hunter named 'Mechanic.' Nick for short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
TANKFIST! :black101:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tankenstein

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Good luck on this. I hope the grinding doesn't bum you out.
For those new to the Metal Max series, this game places you more as a witness to the story of others.

There is only one name fit for the son of a Hunter.
Metal Rex

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

Out of all the names suggested, Max is the only reference I've understood. I've never heard of this game, or series, but that opening has got my attention.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
:madmax:

I don't even know what to make of this. It's reminding me of Radiant Historia's penchant for throwing endings at you all over the place...but given that that was one of my favorite aspects of the game, I'm okay with this. :buddy:

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

SilentW posted:

Who run postapocalyptia? Master Blaster run postapocalyptia!

EDIT: Alternatively, if we can name him Master and the tank Blaster, that's cool too.

Gotta go with this. Master and Blaster.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lost Generation posted:

Out of all the names suggested, Max is the only reference I've understood. I've never heard of this game, or series, but that opening has got my attention.

Might I also put forth Humungus as a potential name?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Thompson, the future S-Ranked Hunter.

"Sorry mother, I can't stop here. This is tank country."

Lobster_Horde
Dec 21, 2012

FEEDING FRENZY
Trombe. You can run people over with your tanks, right?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I only heard of this game from a magazine ad of a real dog with a bazooka strap to his back. It worked and I was mildly entertained by the game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Update Two: My Home Town

I decided to go with Max. Mad Max was tempting, and there were a lot of other good suggestions! But I like Max. Nice and simple.

(Click here to watch the cutscene.)

: (Why's he thinking about this all of a sudden?) Well, I think it's a bad idea. It's a terrible, needless job. It's dangerous, you don't have a steady income... ...Most people don't have a very high opinion of hunters...
: If I had my way, your father wouldn't be a hunter, either.
: ......
: That's just how I feel, Max. Now, there's still plenty of time for you to train as a mechanic in order to inherit the family business. I think you'd be really good at it, and not just because you're my son.
: So? Will you try out something more stable than being a hunter?

We're not ending the game so fast this time!

: *sigh* ...I should have known. Just do whatever you want...

: If you're serious, then you need to find yourself a vehicle. The only thing hunters without vehicles find is trouble.
: Do you know where the Hunter Office is? That's the first place you should go--it's across from us diagonally. At least buy some equipment, OK honey? Mommy worries about you. The store's next door and has that convenient sign; you can't miss it. And, be sure to speak with Nikolai if you go to Newfolk... He's a great mechanic, and could probably teach you a few things. Newfolk is pretty far to the northeast from here.

I know the player needs some direction, but this is the town Max has lived in his entire life. I guess he never really looked around. Thanks, Mom!

: Ohhhh, I'm so jealous. You are gonna have SUCH a good time! I'll be rooting for you, Max! Good luck!
: ...... You chose the life you wanted, so you have to stick it, understand?
: But, if you do get tired of being a hunter, you know you can always come back. This is your home, after all.

Which is completely true. At any point in the game, you can return home and retire to become a mechanic. This is not the same ending as becoming a mechanic before the game actually starts, either! So, now that we have control, let's take a look at things.

We're dropped right outside our home - Mom's garage in the town of Junkyard. This is our menu. We start the game with 200G, our currency. Item is self-explanatory. We have four Healing Capsules, which restore 50 HP each. Items are our main source of healing in the game - there are almost no healing skills in the game, and most of them are unreliable, not cost-effective, or both.

Unlike most games, we start with no equipment whatsoever - we're going to have to find or buy all of it. We have slots for a weapon, a hat, some armor, gloves, shoes and a second, ablative piece of armor. Weapons can be melee or ranged, which effects what enemies they are good at targeting. For now, though, it doesn't really matter. The rest is standard equipment, except the abalative armor. This slot, the Protector slot, is not gear that will last. You wear it, it reduces damage a lot, and then it breaks, becoming Scrap. Scrap is useless as equipment, but it has a purpose.

Max starts the game with only one skill: Remote Laser, which is a direct damage skill in which he summons a satellite laser. However, its cost is so high that we won't be using it for some time. See, there is no MP or skill points in this game. Skills are fueled by cash. You pay the cost in cash and the skill happens.

This is our Satcom. Satcom provides us with a lot of information. We can look up the stock of the main Item and Equipment shops of any town we've ever visted with Shops. Remote is useless until we get some tanks, but eventually we'll use it to move them around remotely. Info is useless until we do some stuff, but it's the same information we saw at the end of Run #1. Hunt and Wanted are useless until we visit the Hunter's Office. Mail will be, well, emails that we receive. We can use Alert for cash grinding - it sends us a notification when we hit a certain amount of money. Music and Games are currently unusable because we don't have any. Config is the options menu. Diary...

Diary shows us various notes. This is all we have for now - Hunter's To Do List. We'll get on that in a moment. As the game goes on, we'll get more entries. I'll try to check regularly. The Help menu is various tutorials and help topics. Now, let's talk to that guy who was wandering around outside our house.

(Click here to watch the cutscene.)

: You're usually already gone when I stop by...... Huh?

: ...Nah, I'm just playin'. Full grown men don't just shrink.

: Man, sorry about that. I totally thought you were your dad.

: I travel around the world alone, but I try to stop by whenever I'm in the area. But, as I expected, he's not around today. I trust that Eddy's doing OK, though? I remember when you were just a baby, heh, you sure have grown. I guess you're a hunter now, just like your old man, huh? We'll probably meet again sometime. Good luck in the meantime, OK kid?

And he runs off. We'll be seeing a good amount of McKinley, which I'm okay with. He's a pretty good guy. Having talked to him, we are now going to ignore our to-do list and head back inside.

If we had a tank, Nina would be able to repair it for us. But we don't, so we just came to say hi. This is the main garage floor, and it is one of the few buildings that tanks can fit into. There are two basement levels, neither of which we'll be looking at until we get a vehicle.

: ...Oh. Well, that wasn't very nice. It is good to see you, though. You should stop by more often. Make sure to visit Emily, too. She's always worried about you...

I think Nina doesn't like being bugged at work.

While we're home, we can stop by Max's room. It is...well, it's very empty. But we can use the bed for free healing!

We can also stop by Emily's room, where we steal her towel. I'd like to say we have a use for it, but my memory is telling me that it is solely for item collection purposes. When used, it provides the message 'It's soft and cuddly.'

It was supposedly taken back when they were all traveling in the West.

Jack's our next-door neighbor and a friend of the family. We'll meet him in a bit. While we're here, we steal Nina's handkerchief. (On use, we are informed that it's Mom's handkerchief.) This, too, has no purpose. However, we can also steal Eddy's shirt. The Father's Shirt is a vitally important item and we will be hanging onto it for actual reasons, rather than because Max is a kleptomaniac. (Max is, however, a kleptomaniac.)

Emily takes care of the house, and whenever we enter this upper floor where the family lives, she will be doing some random housekeeping task. This time, she was doing the laundry, but I've seen her vacuuming, knitting and working in the kitchen. It's really a very nice touch. We could talk to Emily and retire right now, but we aren't going to do that quite yet. So we'll be honest: we're here to see her, because we're saying our goodbyes for a while.

: Hm? R-Really? That... oh, you don't have to say that. *blush*

:sigh: Japan.

This is the Hunter's Office, exactly where Nina said it would be. We can talk to the woman at the window to save our game.

This is what we get if we head inside. This guy has no face at all!

Hunter: Still, you're not a real hunter until you have a sweet ride. I mean, you can try rolling into hostile territory without a vehicle... but don't whine to me when you're dead.

Outside of dialogue choices, this is pretty much all Max ever says in the game. But dialogue choices give him a pretty solid character.

Hunter: You know about Junk Mountain, right? Out back behind town? I bet there's a vehicle stowed somewhere in there. ...Worth checking out, anyway. I sure as hell don't need it. I'm fine without a vehicle, thank you very much! If yer still alive later, maybe we'll meet up again.

And he leaves. I honestly do not remember if we ever meet him again. The game's handholding does exist - and only exists in Junkyard. The game really, really wants to make sure you get a vehicle. It won't stop you if you try to leave without one, mind you - you'll just get your rear end killed by the monsters outside town. The woman to the right, meanwhile, will save our game. I am going to show you her dialogue just this once, because it's pretty fun.

Memory Center: This is the Memory Center, where hunters record their battles.

Memory Center: ...And that's it. We're done saving. Are you going to keep on playing?

Memory Center: Good luck, and have a wonderful day full of leveling up! ...No offense, but it kind of looks like you'll need it.

I am fairly sure her dialogue changes based on our level and title. Now, we can head to the right to talk to the Hunter Office official. (The old lady just tells us we should find some friends to help us out. She'd do it herself, but she has a bad hip.)

At the Hunter Office, we can get bounty information on hunt targets and Outlaws. If we had hunted any of those, we could turn them in for cash rewards.

Today's hunt target is the Spider Tank! A Cyber-class enemy that is, in fact, a gas can on legs. Get used to enemies being this ridiculous. It will remain the target until the system clock ticks down long enough. If you take too long, you won't get your reward, but there is no upper limit on how many target monsters you kill.

Outlaws, on the other hand, last until you kill them. The only Outlaw we can learn about right now is the Trash Heap. We get 1000G for killing it.

Metal Saga posted:

Monster that lives at Junk Mountain. It's unclear whether it's a machine made of scrap or a living being covered with junk.

When we leave the Hunter Office, we are always addressed by our current title - right now, Newbie. We can also check the postings board to look at Wanted posters for Outlaws again.

Nearby, we find these two tents. These are the Scrap Shop and the Black Market.

In the Scrap Shop, we can take the Scrap we get from destroyed Protectors and trade it in for stamps. Once we get enough stamps, we can exchange them for various useful items. It's handy, since we will be going through protectors - they're useful survival tools.

The Black Market buys certain rare items, then holds them and lets you buy them back. I'm not entirely certain what makes them buy certain items, and neither is anyone online that I've been able to find. They sell the items back for anywhere from twice to ten times as much as they paid you. I honestly almost never make use of the place. The running theory I've found is that it's for if you somehow run out of both inventory space and space in the storage area. (We'll see that after we get back from Junk Mountain.) We head out and poke around town, finding an item called a Big Medal. There are three in town, and we get all of 'em. One is in a barrel across from the Hunter's Office, one is by a church to the north and the third is inside that same church. We also meet this kid.

Boy: Crap, then I need to hurry to that secret place and get the treasure there.

So far as I know, this doesn't trigger anything - it's just a hint for later that there is treasure in Junk Mountain.

McKinley is back. This is his main job - he provides backstory for each town. We take a listen.

: Ok, this junkyard formed when groups of people set up camp to trade junk. They would salvage it from Junk Mountain, just over there. Since a lot of the junk was scrap from before the Great Destruction, the trade system quickly developed into a bustling economic system. Today, these people have become known as Traders. And, since so many folks are interested in the West these days, this town has been dubbed the frontier town of the East. Nobody really knows how long Junk Mountain's been around. The most popular theory is that it was a dumping ground long, long ago. Lastly, only hunters visit anymore, since the monsters settled here. That's... really about it. See you again in some other far-off place!

He runs off again.

We, meanwhile, are headed to the bar next to our house.

The bartender is our family's friend, Jack. Now, the fun thing here is that there's a lot of dialogue with incidental NPCs that, while it has no actual purpose, cannot be repeated and has some player input. They worked hard on this! For eample, we'll go talk to the nearest man in the red bandana.

Transporter: Not good. I've been getting a lot of flat tires lately. And it's so expensive to get them fixed... I kinda feel bad about blowing all my money on booze...
Transporter: What, this? No, you really shouldn't steal water from here and sell it for cash. Why? Do you need cash to buy booze? Man, you're such a punk! Shouldn't a hunter like you be making enough money to buy booze!?

The other guy knows our dad and will tell us not to drink the water so we don't get sick. He also tells us about his business moving potatoes. He's just a farmer who does cargo transport in the off-season. He also tells us that there's more money to be made in the north, but that it's really dangerous, so he doesn't do it. For this game, that's handy information to have - the monsters up north do drop better goods for us to sell. And then there's this guy...

His companion is a Hunter.

Hunter: Got something toi say, kid? What? You're a hunter?

Hunter: Yeah, it'll be a long time before you start making as much as me. You got any questions about being a hunter?

He'll tell us about some good places to make money. For easy cash, we want Junk Mountain - the monsters there are fine, as long as we gear up first. He also tells us we can scavenge junk and maybe trade it with the other people out there. This is a valuable hint - you won't hear about it anywhere else. He does warn us not to go out of town without a vehicle, too. But once we get one, we can go hunt Iron Slugs outside. They're good for money, better than other monsters, and can be found west of town. If we want to make mad bank like him, we want to head northeast, across the bridge outside town. It's a dangerous place full of Magnum Cycles, but it's good money if we can handle it. Right now, we absolutely cannot handle it.

We can use the Jukebox to change the music until we exit the screen...but instead, we'll grab the MP3s, unlocking all of the songs on the jukebox to our Satcom, which lets us do the same thing anywhere. We also grab the game, Crossfire. We can now play that on our Satcom, but won't right now.

These are the songs we've found. Links will be provided at the bottom of the post.

Let's chat with this lady.

: Hmmmm... I see... Yup, I get it now.
: ......?
: You're a hunter, right? Er... you just became one. Right?

: Huh, what is it? Why the 'wandering loner' look?
: ...Huh? I didn't think I was glaring. You must have imagined it.
: ......Whatever.

: I'm a hunter, like you. Well... Not like YOU, but yeah...

: Newbies are so cute.
: ...I do see the fire in your eyes, though. You'll be pretty strong one day... ...Hee hee.

Now we'll chat with Jack.

: I know Eddy's probably thrilled, but your mom, not so much... I'm not sure whose side I'm on, there. The world's a tough place. But, I guess you've already decided, so not much can be done. I'm proud of you, kid. Oh, and why don't you go see Rachel, hm?

Rachel is Jack's daughter and our childhood friend. If we talk to Jack again, we can access the bar menu.

This is where we'll be selling vendor trash items we get off monsters. We can also order nacks or drinks, though we're short enough on cash that I won't...yet. We can choose to buy a round for the bar, but I don't have the cash for that, either. Each drink causes Max to have a unique reaction, so we'll see 'em eventually. As for buying a round...well, it makes everyone like you, but as far as I can find, it has no other effect besides draining your cash fast. Still, if you're rolling with dough, might as well be a nice guy, right?

We have no real reason to do this, but each room at the inn has its own rate, based on how good the room is. We'll probably stay in the rooms later, because some inn rooms actually have items in them, and you can't get to those without renting the room for a night. It heals you, too, but in Junkyard we have our own house for that. There's also a guy up here who will tell us a little about the towns of Newfolk and East Zero, but nothing especially interestng other than that they exist and are bigger than Junkyard. Once we head back downstairs and head for the back to talk to Rachel, we get an event.

(Click here for the cutscene.)

You can turn her down. Don't do it - it locks you out of later events! Scarlet walks over to talk to us.

: I'll send some advice to your Satcom later, OK? I have things to do, so I guess I'll see you later. Take it easy.

Scarlet leaves, and we're free to raid Jack's kitchen.

Why he keeps a tank repair item in the sink is a mystery for the ages. We can also get a Healing Capsule out of his bedroom dresser.

This is Rachel's room. After stealing her lipstick - which, yes, is just another item with no purpose - we can talk to her. (The lipstick tastes of strawberries, the game helpfully informs us, and is vibrantly pink.)

She reacts poorly to the funnier option, sadly, and I'd prefer not to piss her off immediately.

: Wha-What!? What are you thinking!? Being a hunter is dangerous! Why would you want to do that? If something happened to you, I'd... ...... Forget about me! If something happens to you, Nina and Emily will be heartbroken! Did you even consider their feelings!? J-Just promise me you'll be careful, OK? Whenever you're in town, you have to come visit your family! And... hunters go to bars, right? Then... you have to talk to my dad, OK? J-Just don't worry about me... I'm too busy to talk to you...*sniff* ...... U-Umn... What? I thought you were done here. Just go do whatever it is that you hunters do... Go!

Well, that went well! If we talk to her again, she seems to be over it.

: Becoming a hunter was your dream, wasn't it Max?

: ......?

We leave and head for a pair of nearby warehouses, where we get a tank repair item, the Repair Kit, another Healing Capsule, and a pair of Sandals - basic foot armor. And we meet this guy.

: Now, the things can be found lying around, in boxes or chests... Basically, they're all over the place. If you find any Medals, please bring 'em by. I collect them, y'know.

If you talk to him again while you have a Big Medal, he gets excited.

: *sniff* Something smells an awful lot like Big Medals...!

: *giggle* Now I have 1! If you come across any more, please let me have them!

It gets them out of my inventory, so we will be. However, this sidequest is broken. There are supposed to be 80 Big Medals in the game. However, it is impossible to get 80 Big Medals. There are no rewards for partial Big Medal completion. There are 80 Big Medals in the game...but because we got the one in the barrel here in Junkyard, one of the others has now disappeared. If we'd gotten that one, the one in Junkyward would disappear. No one has ever been able to complete the Big Medal quest...but someone did contact the QA Lead at Atlus. There is no reward for the Big Medal quest. There is no prize. You just give Big Medals to the Medal Collector. Believe it or not, this entire thing was a huge source of drama online! Anyway, we head out and raid some guy's cupboard for Stick-On Armor - the lowest level of Protector, which blocks ten damage and then breaks. Then we head to the biggest house in town, where we get a pair of Tile Pack S and some Work Gloves - basic hand armor. We also get the Drill Claw Memo, an item that talks about how to make a later weapon. Then we talk to the biggest person in town.

: I used to be a hunter like you. Now, I research monsters. I used to be well-known for my monster-slaying abilities. Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be, so I decided that maybe I'd catalogue monsters and their various special powers and such. ...But, my strength isn't what it used to be. Why, I doubt I could even bench more than 440 lbs. nowadays. So, since I can't record monster data myself, I was hoping you could.

: Thank you so much! You do have a Satcom, correct? When you encounter monsters, their data is recorded automatically. So, I just need you to show me your Satcom from time to time. ...I sure wish we had gadgets like that when I was a hunter. Just find as many monsters as possible for me, OK? Since you agreed to help, I'd like to give you something. It's on the shelf to the right of the sink--see it? It helped me out a lot back in my hunting days... Good luck!

The item, Solomon's Glove, is far too large to wear. It will come in handy eventually, though.

Next door, we find the teleporter.

(She says this either way.) Anyway, this is a fast travel system, but we can't use it yet. We head up to the town church.

...yeah. Welcome to the church.

: I, Dr. Mortem, a leading researcher in the field of revival. That is, bringing back the dead. It's becoming too peaceful back home, so it's hard to ...collect samples. And so, after traveling around the world, I decided... This town is the perfect place to set up a new laboratory! I research during the day and rob graves at night! Hee hee hee hee! You're a hunter, right? I f you come across any dead bodies, or become one yourself (even better), by all means, stop by!

: My job to find fresh samples to help Doctor's research...

If we ever die, Igor will drag us back here. We can also take dead party members here. Mortem will do an experiment on them and bring them back to life! The game implies that he can fail, but I don't believe he actually can. Thus, it's not actually possible to get a game over by dying. We raid the church for the aforementioned Big Medal, a Repair Kit, and also some Sticky Cells - a vendor item.

I leave town and then come back immediately, to spawn an event. This also gets me some email - see the bottom for the email. But the event is Hare Head! His job is to provide backstory on the world.

: All of a sudden, the ground shook, the sea roared, and poison rain fell from the sky. Amidst the chaos, the computers of the world began their revolt. Missiles launched without warning. Communication networks shut down. Riots plagued the cities. People killed and looted. The entire civilization crumbled in the blink of an eye. This came to be known as the Great Destruction...

And then he just vanishes. We stop by the item shop.

This building, with the convenient signs Nina mentioned. We pick up the armor we hadn't been able to get - a Hard Hat and a Denim Vest. This leaves us just shy of being able to buy the stronger of the two available weapons, the Butterfly Knife, so we grab the ranged Slingshot, instead. We now have every armor slot filled. There's one other place in town to look at before we head out, though.

The vending machine. There's one of these in the garage, too.

It sells Healing Capsules in 1 or 3 packs, as well as Tile Packs in the same amounts and basic Protector gear, too. Each time you buy, you get to play a minigame where you try to light up the center of the lights. If you manage it, you get a bonus item, but it's not the easiest game in the world.

Next time: We head out to Junk Mountain. We will be grabbing a vehicle out there - something light and fast. What should we call it? Tanks get up to ten characters. (I will also consider the names already posted.)

Emails

Music
Track 01: Joining Forces (English)/Call (Japanese)

Track 02: March On (English)/My Footstep On This World (Japanese)

Track 03: On the Waves (English)/Let's Go By Ocean Liner (Japanese)

Track 04: Nothing Like Home (English)/Theme of Love (Japanese)

Track 05: Fort Gears (English)/Caterpillar Pires (Japanese)

Track 06: Machinegun Tears (English)/Tear of the 7mm Engine Canon (Japanese)

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 30, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I love this game so goddamned much. Everything about it is just wonderful. :allears:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Do you only have the one tank and you just upgrade it, or do you find more tanks to roam around in? If this is the only tank we'll get then go with Payne, but if it's just the first of some/many then go with Power for a start, leaving Payne for one of the later tanks.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mehuyael posted:

Do you only have the one tank and you just upgrade it, or do you find more tanks to roam around in? If this is the only tank we'll get then go with Payne, but if it's just the first of some/many then go with Power for a start, leaving Payne for one of the later tanks.

There are multiple tanks, all of which can be upgraded. Our first one, however, will probably end up left behind after a while. We're going to have a stable of something like 18-20 of them by the end.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I can see why people like this game-there's so much love put into it!

Also, I love the fact that you start with no equipment whatsoever-except for (if I understand this correctly) access to a high-grade military satellite.

And this bit right here made me laugh more than I should have:

Who knew this game was willing to tackle contemporary issues like this? :cheeky:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Powers is a good name.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ahem, I believe it is clearly understood that in Something Awful canon our tank is Fight.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
But the thread title clearly states that our tank is Anime. :colbert:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I like DeathBot for our tank - eloquent yet simple.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

This reminds me of another game...

Trot.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Gonna stick with Sam.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
the tank is clearly Metal Slug

or we can use that one later, when it becomes far more formidable

and how many Girls und Panzer jokes are we allowed to make Mors Rattus?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I've never actually seen that show, so...as long as you don't get too annoying, feel free?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the game-spanning medal collection quest is just there to collect medals. Reflects the actual rewards of being an obsessive collector.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Glazius posted:

I like that the game-spanning medal collection quest is just there to collect medals. Reflects the actual rewards of being an obsessive collector.
Chatting with well-dressed people in faceless rabbit masks is its own reward.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Glazius posted:

It's too real, man. It's like the game is holding up a mirror to my pointless existence.

Magnuslord
Jul 19, 2008
Dies Irae or Arethusa, the first being the name for an Imperator Titan, and the other the name of a famous Baneblade. Because why not use Warhammer 40K for names?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
We should also not forget the obvious: Killdozer :killdozer:

Though I also wouldn't be opposed to every tank being a Mad Max quote...
"2ManEntr", "1ManLeav", "Humungus", "TheGoose", "Toecuttr", "BubbaZ", "GyroCptn", "Thndrdme", "NiteRidr", "WalkAway", etc.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It's been years since I played this game, but wouldn't Doombuggy be a good one for the first vehicle? It's either that or I'm thinking of Metal Max Returns.

I loved this game, but I never got very far. I blame one of the Outlaws roaming around the third area and the fact I spent WAY too much time on vehicle paintjobs.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

This game already has just the best writing. :allears:

For tank name I'm gonna jump on the Payne tankwagon. In fact I want every one of our tanks to be "Max" puns. I expect to see "Gentleman", "Powers", and "Headroom" show up at some point. :colbert:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Max's tank needs decent Headroom, otherwise he will always be bonking his head on things and that hurts.

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013

Picayune posted:

Max's tank needs decent Headroom, otherwise he will always be bonking his head on things and that hurts.

I was wondering if anyone was going to make that joke. He does illegally download music.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Blind Sally posted:

We should also not forget the obvious: Killdozer :killdozer:

Though I also wouldn't be opposed to every tank being a Mad Max quote...
"2ManEntr", "1ManLeav", "Humungus", "TheGoose", "Toecuttr", "BubbaZ", "GyroCptn", "Thndrdme", "NiteRidr", "WalkAway", etc.

Can't we just get beyond Thndrdme?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Oh my god this is fantastic. I have been literally laughing out loud.

Hilarious character dialogue options, your first weapon is a Kill-Sat, you have the option to "finish" the game whenever you want and it is treated as a legitimate ending, and the ability to respawn after death is justified by Dr Frankenstein resurrecting your corpse. (Plus Laura, "the world's most beautiful brain" makes me think of Steve Martin's The Man With Two Brains.)

Also, LOL WUT at some of the gameplay clips in the intro movie.

They should have had the "name your character" thing be first though, since it's a bit silly that when you mother is trying to persuade you to become a mechanic she keeps calling you Hunter, as does your sister and father if you choose that option. Though I guess it's nicely ironic that your parents actually named you Hunter and you didn't become one.

Did a bit of googling, turns out that there is an English version of "Metal Max Returns", the SNES remake of the original NES Metal Max. Apparently Metal Saga's plot is the reverse of Metal Max; in that your dad wanted you to be a mechanic and he disowns you when you say you want to be a Hunter.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Derek Barona posted:

It's been years since I played this game, but wouldn't Doombuggy be a good one for the first vehicle? It's either that or I'm thinking of Metal Max Returns.

I loved this game, but I never got very far. I blame one of the Outlaws roaming around the third area and the fact I spent WAY too much time on vehicle paintjobs.

Voting for this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

your evil twin posted:

They should have had the "name your character" thing be first though, since it's a bit silly that when you mother is trying to persuade you to become a mechanic she keeps calling you Hunter, as does your sister and father if you choose that option. Though I guess it's nicely ironic that your parents actually named you Hunter and you didn't become one.

Did a bit of googling, turns out that there is an English version of "Metal Max Returns", the SNES remake of the original NES Metal Max. Apparently Metal Saga's plot is the reverse of Metal Max; in that your dad wanted you to be a mechanic and he disowns you when you say you want to be a Hunter.

You do name your character first. I just named him Hunter on the first run. In the second run, she calls him Max.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
I would be wise to save the badass names for later.

Let us call it Bugs

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
BTW Mors in the future are you going to let us see what each new tank looks like before you open up voting for a name? 'Cause if we know what the tank looks like it'd probably be easier to come up with a fitting name other than random tank references or puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dijon du jour posted:

BTW Mors in the future are you going to let us see what each new tank looks like before you open up voting for a name? 'Cause if we know what the tank looks like it'd probably be easier to come up with a fitting name other than random tank references or puns.

Probably! Certainly once I get access to the town where I can rename them.

• Locked thread