Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Thomas Bryant

Thank God.

Bryant takes a deep breath. At least one weight has been lifted off his shoulders. It's enough to bring just one moment of relief. Even, or perhaps especially, when things go to absolute poo poo, it's pretty important to focus on the good thing when you get the chance. It's something that helps keep you going.

Grabbing a pen and notepad from one corner of the room, he starts scrawling down a note.

quote:

Kurosawa,

Angel attack. Base is in bad shape. I'll come back for you when this is over. Stay put, be careful.

-T Bryant

After tearing off the sheet of paper, and leaving it and the medkit in the technician's hands, the captain starts the long trek all the way back down the way he came.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Sebastian von Falkenrath
Fate: 1/2

There was so much that Sebastian wanted to say right now. His tongue was pressed against his teeth, but he couldn't open his mouth to say the words. He remained silent, thinking back to the times when his father would talk to him about what it means to be a Falkenrath. <There will be times,> Sebastian's memory echoes in the voice of his father, <when something unprecedented will come along and cause those who you thought your peers to balk, to squirm, to be at a loss. Those times are when we rise up and do the unthinkable, not because no one else will, but because no one else can.>

Then the world flashed blue. He could almost feel the overarching dread that loomed above their heads. He looked forward, the lights causing his glasses to almost glow with the menace of the atmosphere.

"It's here." He said. His lip was bleeding. He remembered the guns pointed at the limo, and began to feel that fear once more.

Out of 40 and HAHAHAHA Willpower: 1d100 85

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Sebastian, Junko

The blue flicker passes momentarily, and you feel a slight relief that nothing major happened until you realise everyone else is a blue-tinted, flickering ghost. When you try to talk to them, their speech comes back as garbled, static-ish noise.

Hong, Antoine, Jenna, Liza

Sebastian and Junko freak out for a second or two over something, you can't see what. The only thing that's amiss is they're not making a sound when they talk. Maybe they've snapped.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Elizabeth Hargrave

Liza watches Junko and Sebastian with unconcealed impatience. "What's wrong with you two?" She reaches down and grabs Junko by the upper arm, trying to pull the other girl onto her feet. "We don't have time for this! Hurry up!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hong Li

Hong Li places a hand on Sebastian's shoulder. "Are you okay, Sebastian? We have to get going, come on."

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Junko Kurosawa

One of the blue flickering ghosts started pulling on Junko’s arms, while spouting unidentifiable nonsense. Junko didn’t know how to react; she looked at Sebastian and pleaded silently for him to help. When she had finally gotten to her feet she yanked her arm away from the spectre, after all she had to show that she could stand on her own two feet. It was then that she finally realized that tears were streaming down her face.

“What's going on?”

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hong, Junko, Liza

As you make physical contact, an intense wave of nausea floods your body as...something...happens. Are those voices you're hearing?

Roll Willpower at -10. If you fail, share a traumatic secret with the person you touched, gain 1d10 Insanity Points, and roll Toughness to not vomit.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

Jenna tries slightly too late to halt her sister. "Wait, don't- drat it, Liz."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hong Li

<Krysmbot> Waffleman, 52 = 52
Well poo poo.

<Krysmbot> Waffleman, 8 = 8 insanity points.

And toughness
Krysmbot> Waffleman, 25 = 25
Well, that's good.

Hong Li staggers as the voices fill his head. They dredge up an event from his childhood. One he wanted to forget.

Hey, Hong! Whatcha drawin'? Somethin' gay, I bet!

Please, just leave me alone...

Did you talk back to me, Hong? Whatcha gonna do about it?

.......That's it!

"....I sent a kid to the hospital when I was younger. He tortured me everyday and...I just couldn't take it anymore..." Hong gags, but manages to keep his lunch down.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 1, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Elizabeth Hargrave

A sense of power, of purpose. A voice whisper in her ear, caution. It doesn't understand. Neither the feeling of this, or the desperate need to master it. Caution is ignored. It's supposed to be sparring, but training must be a bloodless battle so battle is a bloody drill. Not everyone has the same focus, the same drive. Not her opponent today. He treats it like a game, like he can call a time out. There aren't any. The blows come faster, harder, and then there's the slightest slip, and blood, screaming. Hands pull her away, medics rush in. She's chided, shouted at, punished by the trainers, but she can see the looks of grim approval on the evaluators' faces. The look of terror on her opponent's face, eyes flitting about wildly while the rest lies unnaturally still, barely leaves an impression. There's no way to make the kind of warriors they need, in the time they have, without breaking a few of them. And she intends to be the one doing the breaking, not the one being broken.

Liza shoves Junko suddenly, pressing a hand to her head. For a moment she has a profound sense of vertigo, then it passes, leaving only confusion and anger. "What the gently caress was that?"

Will! Hm, terrible secrets time...
[19:02] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 82 = 82

Toughness! Well at least she doesn't throw up.
[19:03] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 32 = 32

[19:04] <Krysmbot> Dopethrone, 6 = 6
[19:04] <Dopethrone> 6 insanity for gorbash

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Junko Kurosawa

Junko felt her own memories trying to surface, but due to a combination of will power and her own subconscious trying to bury them, she managed to keep them down. It seemed that Elizabeth had not succeeded in suppressing her own, as Junko was treated to a snippet of her past.

Elizabeth was clearly a strong willed person, Junko admired this of her. Like everyone here, they were a product of their own unfortunate past. The violence that she saw did not feel innate, but instead the result of pressure and fear. There was something else, something that Junko couldn’t quite understand. Before she could even begin to pinpoint it though she was shoved to the floor.

The tears returned to her eyes, “I’m so sorry” Junko bawled at Liza while she was back on the floor. Why she was sorry was unfortunately open to interpretation.

Willpower: 2: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4555873/
well that's a good result

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Antoine

"Jesus... where the gently caress did that come from?"

Half the team seems like they just got hit with a kind of seizure, if only for a second. Hong Li starts talking about his past out of nowhere, and the look on Liza's face...

"Do we need a minute? Maybe we can get some water somewhere nearby."

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Sebastian von Falkenrath
Fate: 1/2

Fear. Ice cold, static laced fear. A heart beating so loud that it provides an aggressive bassline to the verses of screaming fanatics and sharp, painful intakes of breath. Thin, sweaty fingers wrap around a blood splattered Heckler & Koch P8, picked from the palm of Klaus Eisenberg, a man the Falkenraths have counted as friend and trusted business partner ever since Sebastian was a little child. He was one of the last to die, two three-round bursts from homebrewed AK-47s opening up his chest and head with hollowpoint blossoms.

Sebastian's ears were ringing from the limo, the spray and pray rattling the inside like a soda can. The tinted windows cracked under the unrelenting hail of bullet fire, until they gave and burst onto the newly refurbished black leather seating. His father's accountant was the one that Sebastian saw shot first, the bullet spray opening his chest, the look of ghastly horror and unbelieving shock as life begins to slip from him. He didn't have time to freeze in sympathetic terror. The front window was hollowed to reveal what remained of the driver's head leaning limply in the seat. A click of the door and the bodyguards were the first ones out, guns blazing, a wall of impassioned screaming sweeping into the limo. The language was slurred and hard to understand, drowned out by the deafening rasps of 7.62×39mm bullets and gas pistons. The bodyguards howl for help, but their lives and pleas are cut short. It was clear from the voices and boots scuffing the streets that the attackers were advancing on the limo. Klaus shoved Sebastian back and down, shouting something that was quickly drowned out by the roars from outside. He fought valiantly, taking down three of the insurgents with a total of six shots. Sebastian saw the bodies after he chased after Klaus, seeing the man drop to the floor as his body grew the macabre flowers of death.

The pistol was in Sebastian's hand. There was an insurgent in front of him, covered in dusty clothes and impromptu bulletproof vests that matched the rundown urban environment of this sector of Dubai. Sebastian looked down the sights, the shot was clear, the insurgent had found his clip empty and had made the split-second mistake of going to reload. Sebastian saw the world slow to a crawl, half a second moving as an hour. Sebastian clenched, he looked down the sights, he breathed in and breathed out just enough to hold the pistol steady. Sebastian saw his face. His desperate, frightened, young face. He couldn't have been much older than Sebastian himself, five years older at best. The shot was clear, he was the enemy, this was war, take the shot. But Sebastian couldn't pull the trigger. His finger moved like a mountain, his eyes strained and his mind froze in a meltdown of split-second information overload. He is the enemy, why is he so young, you have been trained for this moment, I cannot, do what others cannot do, take the shot, what are you doing take the shot, the enemy is reloading now is the chance why are you not taking the shot take the shot take the sho-

Bright white heat blossomed in Sebastian's back with a loud barking pop. For the briefest of moments his mind was numb, his hearing tuned to a dead channel, his lungs clenched. Then the briefest notion of a second pop, before blackness. Just as abruptly as the scene ends, Sebastian's eyes and ears open to the sight of a blurred hospital ceiling and a heart-rate monitor.

Sebastian recoiled. The nausea rolled through him like a wave, hitting him with a punch to the gut even worse than the ones that Hong had delivered. The resurgence of memory and bile in his throat put him to his knees, and before he could stop himself, he proceeded to lose his breakfast with an LCL coating.

Willpower at 30 <Krysmbot> AlanWhats, 42 = 42
Toughness at there's-no-way-i-can-match-that <Krysmbot> AlanWhats, 61 = 61
Rolled 2 insanity points.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Elizabeth Hargrave

Liza takes a step away from Sebastian, a look of disgust on her face. "No," she snaps at Antoine's question. "Let's just go."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hong Li

"S-Sebastian...I..." Hong Li is speechless.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

Jenna has taken the opportunity to snatch the crowbar away from Liza in case of further trouble. "Ok. We done? If they can't speak, they can at least follow. This is clearly an attack. We shouldn't linger."

K Prime fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 3, 2014

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Antoine

"Merde... Come on, guys, get moving. They're right, we need to not be here anymore."

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It seems with that unpleasantness whatever it was that was affecting Sebastian and Junko subsides, and you make haste down the hall towards the Command Center to make up for lost time. The journey is exactly as barren as it was before, but with no major obstructions you practically fly towards the main control level. Just then, as you're walking down the hallway to one of the bulkheads delineating major sections of NERV, you taste copper on your tongue for a brief instant, before Sebastian suddenly vanishes in a column of overwhelmingly bright light that punches through the roof, walls and floor. The good news is, he hardly seems the worse for wear; he's only got mild cuts and bruises.

The bad news is the hole whatever it was just made; it's exposed to sheer nothing, and the atmosphere is starting to vent more and more quickly. Alarms sound automatically and the bulkhead at the other end of the hallway begins to close to seal off the leak!

AlanWhats successfully tanked an Angelic attack with his fleshy meatbody, congratulations not-Shinji! Test Strength, if you pass you reach the bulkhead, if you fail you take 2 rounds to get there and if you fail by more than 3 degrees your character is spaced, rip (but there's always fate points). Regardless, once you reach the bulkhead door you'll need to make a Tech-Use test at +10 to override it with your NERV ID and force it open. You have 5 rounds until you're sucking vacuum.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

Jenna is caught off guard and ripped backwards, her disease damaged strength insufficient to fully resist. But she catches and holds, dragging herself forward.

KPrime, 57 = 57

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hong Li

Hong Li is knocked down, but is able to push himself back up.

Waffleman, 36 = 36

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Elizabeth Hargrave

Liza finds herself dead in the middle of the corridor when it gets exposed to vacuum, and tumbles down it for a moment before she bangs into a bulkhead and manages to grab hold.

[23:47] <Gorbash> !r 1d100
[23:47] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 62 = 62

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Antoine

The attack came just as Ant was reaching for a handhold. The sudden burst of vacuum doesn't drag him down the corridor. He's able to keep his footing well enough to head over to the bulkhead door. Pulling out his ID, he tries to get the door open so they can get out of this deathtrap.

Strength Test
[13:05] <Vicissitude> 1d100 vs 35
[13:05] <Hashutbot> Vicissitude, vs 35: 34 [1d100=34]

Tech-Use Test
[13:42] <Vicissitude> 1d100 vs 41
[13:42] <Hashutbot> Vicissitude, vs 41: 46 [1d100=46]

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Junko Kurosawa

Junko was luckily in her semi-sobbing state before this, and was supporting herself with whatever she could find. She managed to stable herself and drag herself to the door. Unfortunately, in the panic, she can't think straight and starts fumbling with her Nerv card.

Strength: 24: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4559064/
Tech use: 73: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4559069/

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Sebastian von Falkenrath
Fate: 0/2 Wounds 11/15

Sebastian had wiped his mouth, seeing with a look that was somewhere between a deer in the headlights and an enraged berserker's glare. He was getting rather sick of this day, quite frankly. They moved to the bulkhead as the blue lights subsided.

He was staring ahead, when suddenly he was consumed in such light that all things were rendered invisible. He felt as though a great hammer was swinging by him. He could almost hear the metal shearing off in the presence of the light, but he stood, and he held his eyes shut as the light merely scraped against his skin. His glasses were carried up before him, vaporizing into particles as he was lightly pummeled and scraped.

Suddenly the light disappeared, and as his eyes tried in vain to adjust, he saw that he was standing in the middle of bloody god drat space. Almost instinctively, he grabbed at the floor as he began to be vented off into nothing. For a horrifying moment, he felt his fingers slipping, before he scrambled up under himself. His hands were giving out, but he had to try. He still held on, and as he held on he advanced, slowly but surely as the depressurization attempted to rip him from this earthly coil. With teeth gritted, Sebastian reached out, and took the first move of many in the attempt to get to terra firma once more.

Yeah that roll Sebastian tanked? 1d100, rolled a 4. Ain't nothin' but poo poo son.

With a strength check of 24, I LITERALLY AVOID GETTING SPACED BY 1!
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, 63 = 63

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

As the air continues to rush out into the void you can feel a headache developing.

Everyone's at the door now, I suggest you roll well. Bryant is taking the scenic route.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Elizabeth Hargrave

Liza claws her way to the door, cursing at herself the entire time, teeth gritted and a wild look in her eyes. And then she fumbles her card and nearly loses it. She screams in frustration, then visibly takes hold of herself and instead grabs hold of Jenna, bracing her sister so she can try. "Get this damned thing open!"

[21:57] <Gorbash> !r 1d100
[21:57] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 62 = 62

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

Mouth clamped shut, eyes watering, Jenna manages to get her card through the slot. She prays, but whether or not she's praying for failure or success is a big question.

Krysmbot KPrime, 21 = 21

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hong Li

Hong Li is ready with his keycard in case Jenna's fails, grabbing at the door to help pull it open.

Waffleman, 6 = 6

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Sebastian von Falkenrath

Sebastian, meanwhile, is merely clawing his way back out of the giant vacuum that attempts to consume. Dragging himself with his bare hands, teeth gritted, eyes threatening to close as air smacks his face, he drags himself just a little bit further. He fumbles about for the card, but it sticks to the inside of his pocket, stuck there, unable to be pulled out. "GOD DAMMIT!" He barely gets out as sound escapes out behind him. It's hard to tell whether he's scared, or just annoyed at this point.

Tech use at 34 god DAMMIT! <Krysmbot> AlanWhats, 36 = 36

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Junko Kurosawa

Junko had her card at the ready, but with already two people manning the door she decided to stay out the way just in case she got in their way.

Tech use: 9: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4572805/

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Antoine

Since it looks like everyone with a better grasp on the ins and outs of using the card reader was closer than he was, Ant focuses more on keeping them all in one place against the exit. Whenever anyone slips, he makes sure to push them back toward the handholds that'll keep them safe.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

As Jenna slides her card into the slot a green light flashes and the door opens long enough for all of you to sprint into the hall before shutting again with a very final clunk. Thankfully, it appears that the command floor is significantly less damaged than the rest of NERV, and as you approach the Command Center the sound of a crowd grows louder and louder, until you enter and see half of NERV packed in there, yelling and asking what's going on to a very flustered looking Koizumi and Takenaka. Just then Koizumi sees you and cries out. "Look, the pilots! They've made it out alive!" As one, the crowd of technicians and engineers descends on you.

"What happened?!"
"Where's the Director? Is he hurt, dead, alive?"
"How's the rest of NERV?"
"Do you know if the Evangelion units are still working?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Elizabeth Hargrave

Liza listens for all of 30 seconds, catching her breath and getting more and more annoyed.

"EVERYONE SHUT UP."

As soon as there's something resembling quiet, she continues, "The director had to go back and help Kurosawa. As for your other questions... How the hell are we supposed to know?! You're the command and operations crew. Quit acting like a mob of idiots, do your jobs and find out!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

"Are the Evas ok? I thought that was your job." Jenna looks at the command staff. "We need to know soon. I think we need them."

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Sebastian von Falkenrath

Sebastian looks at the crowd of people pouring in. He reels back almost instinctively, trying to hide back from the onslaught of voices and demands. Then Jenna and Elizabeth force their way with their voices, and Sebastian tightens his grip. He has just been hit by an Angel's attack, crawled his way back from the void of space, and has ripped an elevator door open like it ain't no thang. He has officially had enough.

He suddenly lunges forward and grabs one of the staff by the collar, a fierce look in his eyes. He takes a deep breath, before slowly and surely speaking in terse, tense tone. "The Angel...is here. If the EVAs are not working, then make them. God drat. WORK!"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Thomas Bryant

A door on the other side of the command center opens, revealing Captain Bryant. He's got a bit more dust, dirt and oil on him since you last saw him.

"I'm right here."

The Operations Director pushes his way through the crowd of technicians and forcibly creates some space around the pilots. "And this isn't the time to be asking the pilots pointless questions. If you guys seriously don't know anything that you're not telling us, then we seriously need to get our poo poo together right now!"

He starts pointing at sections of crowd and issuing orders. "I need to know, right now, which systems here are and aren't working. If our combat-critical systems are down, I need to know if anything can be done about it. And if the answers to any of those questions is 'I don't know', then don't waste my time with it. And I need some of you to escort these kids down to the EVA hangars ASAP. If for whatever reason the units aren't working, get them working."

"GET MOVING!" he shouts. "NO TIME TO WASTE!"

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Junko Kurosawa

Panting with her hands on her legs, Junko didn’t immediately register any of the chaos that was expanding in front of her. As soon as the shouting began, Junko took a final deep breath and composed herself. It should be noted that Junko’s mind had not caught up to the reality of the situation. Brushing herself off she got ready to go towards the hangars.

"Yes Captain!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hong Li

Hong Li attempts to compose himself, firing off a shaky salute. "Y-Yes sir!"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

At Bryant's urging, the crowd of formerly aimless technicians and engineers begin taking their positions, returning to their posts and generally reasserting some form of order. "Most systems are online but non-responsive...we need to reboot the whole network." "We've established links with Units 00, 02, 04, and 05; 01 and 03 must have been disconnected from the grid, or the grid's been damaged..." "MAGI are running analysis of what happened, we should have results any minute now."

Just then the comm pipes up with a familiar voice. "Command deck, this is Han. I'm stuck in one of the lower levels, the base must've been hit bad. I've found a working terminal, and I have a loose hypothesis about what's happened. It seems whatever hit us placed the entire Geofront in some kind of extra-dimensional pocket or a singularity or some sort. While this would explain the strange spatial and temporal phenomena I encountered, I can't confirm it without direct access to the MAGI. My math checks out, but logically we should be all dead..."

Another voice comes through the comm. "Oshiro reporting, I've gotten to the Evangelion cages. Some of them are in better shape than the others, but the damage seems limited to the computer networks. I got 01 and 03 working and they're charged and ready, but I can't get the others online even with my clearance code. Any luck up there?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

"There better not be anything wrong with my 03..."

Jenna rushes down the corridor, "Oshiro! I'm plugging in."

With that terse statement, she heads straight for the entry plug and sits. A certain level of anxiety leaves her. Yes. This is what she's meant to do. Her grip tightens on the controls. "Ready."

• Locked thread