Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ping Pong is a manga series by Taiyō Matsumoto about table tennis, and it’s getting an anime this Spring directed by Masaaki Yuasa at Tatsunoko Production, a studio that’s been around since the 60s. You should know Yuasa from The Tatami Galaxy, Kick-Heart, and a bunch of other cool things you should watch.

I’m super hyped for this, as you should be for anything by Yuasa and doubly so since the source seems to fit him so well. The clips that have been leaking out are breathtaking even by Yuasa standards, taking something very mundane and twisting it into something amazing. I admit that I’m skipping the manga in favor of the anime, but it’s got a pretty solid reputation.

Sports anime is something of a niche taste outside of Japan, but everyone should check this out.

Non english speaking countries can grab it on Crunchyroll. Americans can grab it from Funimation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmZVuMDlw-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-KHYGXh_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEaDOZkLMSs

devtesla fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 13, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Still waiting for them to announce the promotional tie-in crossover with Kill la Kill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOt0tW26hRY

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am incredibly hyped for this because everything Yuasa puts his touch on is gold, and I have no reason to doubt that this will be any different. Probably gonna be the best anime of the season, if not the year?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

pandaK posted:

Still waiting for them to announce the promotional tie-in crossover with Kill la Kill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOt0tW26hRY

I can no longer see the words "Ping-Pong" and not think "circulate". That song'll probably go off in my head every time I see there's a new episode.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm probably a bit of an outlier, since I don't plan to watch for Yuasa (loved Tatami Galaxy, hated Kaiba, so I guess I'm neutral on him overall) but rather out of nostalgia for the 2002 live-action movie which I saw years and years ago and liked a lot. It's a really solid sports film with Supercar insert songs.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
But is it going to be better than Ping Pong Club?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgPGtZH0EjQ

The first long PV.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Forgall posted:

But is it going to be better than Ping Pong Club?

Unless Maeno and Izawa join then no, there is no chance.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I was gonna ask if this is based on the movie of the same name, but as far as I can tell from the trailer the answer is yes.

How are they expanding what's like a two hour movie into an entire series? Incidentally, you can rent the film on Netflix if you're interested.

edit: Wait, is it the the case that the manga came first, and the movie was based on that? This is blowing my mind.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Coca Koala posted:

I was gonna ask if this is based on the movie of the same name, but as far as I can tell from the trailer the answer is yes.

How are they expanding what's like a two hour movie into an entire series? Incidentally, you can rent the film on Netflix if you're interested.

The movie was based on a manga, actually. No idea how accurate the movie was to the source material tho but the manga did run for 5 volumes so that should be enough to fit a 12 episode run.

Srice fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 22, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
More previews!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FgvRHrxTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcYaLJn1XU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
This is cool and I'm convinced Yuasa will do Matsumoto Taiyou's art justice. The manga was just so good at creating a sense of flow and action in static images that you should all just read it anyway, poo poo.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
So, should I be expecting Prince of Table Tennis from this?

Lazy Dog
May 23, 2003

rock out with your cock out
It doesn't feel the same without Yumegiwa Last Boy playing in the background.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Funimation's streaming.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I watched the movie and spent the day reading the Manga and it was actually shocking how Yuasa it was. I was thinking the whole time about how this is pretty much the exact thing Yuasa loves to work on, and how close the themes and characterization are to Yuasa's other adaptations.

Needless to say this is gonna be good.

Fake edit: Peco and Smile's actors could definitely play live action Ozu and Watashi.

Maybe if I get some more time off I can ride the train to the town Ping Pong takes place in and take photos of the location like I did during the Tatami Galaxy simulwatch. No promises, but I kind of want to do it if I can.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Yuasa is getting a new series? Awesome! I'm really happy that he is getting to create more stuff. I was scared he might have some problems getting new work after the kickstarter, but apparently thats fine.

Anyway can't wait. Having it be about ping-pong sounds boring, but i bet Yuasa can make it work.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Captain_duck posted:

Anyway can't wait. Having it be about ping-pong sounds boring, but i bet Yuasa can make it work.

Try watching Tekkonkinkreet (Black and White). Adapted from the same manga author (Taiyo Matsumoto) this's being adapted from. Honestly, Matsumoto and Yuasa are a great matchup--both're pretty psychedelic.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Captain_duck posted:

I was scared he might have some problems getting new work after the kickstarter, but apparently thats fine.

It's actually the opposite. Yuasa's said a few times that the kick starter 'saved his career' and pulled him out of a pretty serious depression. Thanks to the kickstarter they (Kevin Aymeric, Choi Eun-Young, and Yuasa) immediately got hired to work on Space Dandy as well. You can see their work in episodes 9 and 10, which are extremely Choi and Yuasa respectively. Aymeric did lots of work all over the show.

I'm glad Yuasa got to work on such a well known property other than Shin-chan. People who haven't even heard of Tatami Galaxy or Mind Game are super stoked for this here in Japan. It's gaining some legit hype.

Brings a goddamned tear to my eye :unsmith:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Er, Yuasa didn't work on any episodes in season 1 of Dandy. His episode is in the second season (its #16). You are right about Choi & Aymeric though. Mihara also worked on Dandy (#6) but when Choi's episode aired he tweeted that he had a fight with her at some point (probably during Kick-heart) and wont work with her again, so he probably won't show up on Ping Pong.

Yuasa had to resort to tweeting looking for both episode directors and animators for Ping Pong buuuut he seems to have found enough directors. The real worry is whether or not he has enough animation staff to get everything done. There's a ton of animation talent at Tatsunoko (see the staff who worked on the recent Yozakura Quartet) so hopefully Yuasa gets access to them for this.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

aers posted:

Er, Yuasa didn't work on any episodes in season 1 of Dandy. His episode is in the second season (its #16). You are right about Choi & Aymeric though. Mihara also worked on Dandy (#6) but when Choi's episode aired he tweeted that he had a fight with her at some point (probably during Kick-heart) and wont work with her again, so he probably won't show up on Ping Pong.

Yuasa had to resort to tweeting looking for both episode directors and animators for Ping Pong buuuut he seems to have found enough directors. The real worry is whether or not he has enough animation staff to get everything done. There's a ton of animation talent at Tatsunoko (see the staff who worked on the recent Yozakura Quartet) so hopefully Yuasa gets access to them for this.

Ah, you're totally right, I misread Miyaji Masayuki's name as Yuasa's for some reason in the credits of Episode 10. How I managed that I have no idea. Whoops, totally my bad. The alien animation looks super Yuasa at least, specifically Miaou. Same with the midcut section.

Do you have a link to the tweet by Mihara? I can't seem to find it and I didn't hear anything about it from Choi. I'm curious what could have had them disagreeing because they all seemed relatively happy as a unit, at least as of ~3 months ago when I last spoke to them all. I follow all of them on Twitter as well and never noticed it either (all I can find from the airdate is Mihara posting about Idols, as usual), which makes me think maybe he deleted it? I wonder whats up. It'd be weird to see a Yuasa anime without Mihara. It's kind of sad to imagine.

edit: ~animation production dramas~ more intense than anime drama itself. I found the tweet where he mentions that he didn't get along with "A person in production" anymore buried between tweets of idols but any information about the fight iself seems to be deleted. Hopefully this didn't hinder Ping Pong's production. :ohdear:

laplace fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 8, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I'll have to go find it myself but basically when episode 9 was airing, or right after it finished, he tweeted something about it having good direction but he had a fight with that person, or something similar.

Another thing is that we know for sure Mihara is working on a second episode of Dandy for the second half so he's super busy with that, making it even less likely he'll work on Ping Pong. :(

edit:

Ok so this tweet is still up https://twitter.com/mictimiha/status/440131098387832832

However there is a second, now deleted, tweet which is the one where he said he wouldn't work with her again. I'll try and find a copy of it.

aers fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 8, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Crunchyroll picked up Ping Pong!

VVVV Oh. Well then, I guess I need to learn not to skim.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 9, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Very specifically only for Europe, excluding UK and Russia. :suicide:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Funimation has the US license and one of the UK streaming sites probably has it, so that makes sense. Note that there's also a 6 month delay for France since Wakanim (probably) has the French license.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

No one hit the ball so hard that technicolor sunbeams erupted from their shot in the first episode, but the last few minutes were hella intense regardless

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was so loving fun.

Battle Strudel
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone know who has this for the UK? I've not spotted any news about it on Wakanim or Animax.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
The first episode wasn't psychedelic or anything, but it had some drat compelling storytelling. I'm already interested in everything that's going on. Ping pong has never been this intense.

This is going to be really good.

Franz von Dada fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 10, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I usually avoid sports anime like the plague but that was amazing.

Also someone need to dub 'Take On Me' over the ending animation.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
The first episode was so great. I can't wait to watch more of this!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

PING PONG gently caress YEAH!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

That was one hell of a compelling episode and a great way to start the series. Im so loving pumped to be watching a cartoon about ping pong :allears:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The OP was very :rock:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Pretty much what I expected a Yuasa Ping Pong series to be. I can see why he wanted to adapt this.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I don't know why this episode was really good but it was really good. :) Does anyone know if this series will be covering all of the manga or am I going to have to chase that down later?

Also, am I missing something with the coach guy who keeps speaking in English? Is that just how he talks or is he from an English-speaking country?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

This seriously top tier material of the season only if Jojo wasn't the top already.

What a compelling way to start a show and I do enjoy that they had Chinese dialogue (it sounded pretty drat authentic). I'm already hooked into this show.

It's very stylish and I love how everything looks like.

Thursdays are looking great again

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

And to nobody's surprise, this loving owns and makes me want to give more money to Yuasa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

boredsatellite posted:

What a compelling way to start a show and I do enjoy that they had Chinese dialogue (it sounded pretty drat authentic).

Supposedly Kong's VA was born in China, and I couldn't find anything about his coach/interpreter's VA but with a name like Tei Ha, I'd assume he's also Chinese.

Honestly I was already all-in because of Yuasa but having fluent Chinese speakers for it is such a cool touch that I can't help but be even more into this :allears:

• Locked thread