Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

The Devil Tesla posted:

That was to get you listening to the ping pong sounds.

I understand the reason, it just felt a bit too long to me. I'm just being a backseat director though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I just started reading the manga today and totally forgot that the first ep had been released, so I watched it and I am blown away by how amazing it is. I can't wait for more episodes, and I'm about to really dig into the manga now. Peco's obsession with sweets is one of my favorite character traits.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

The golden age of classic HK movies is long long over :(

Most All HK movies will be in Cantonese and not Mandarin, before dubbing, anyway. There is still plenty of good stuff coming out, though!

I guess I'm a big weirdo cause I dig the animation in this and am flabbergasted to hear it's the reason some people don't like this. But I'm kind of a sports/game anime junkie and expected to like this from the get-go as it's about a game I actually play. I really enjoyed the little introductions with what grip they use and their preferences.

Also after hearing the not-so-great English from the teacher early on (though I guess his English isn't meant to be stellar), the good Chinese kinda took me by surprise. I had expected the Chinese student would inexplicably speak perfect Japanese like most foreigners in anime. I'd definitely bet on him having some relation to China. It's definitely not super-standard Mandarin, which is almost what I'd expect a Japanese person who studied Chinese to have, but that just makes it feel way more authentic since you never hear standard Mandarin outside of classrooms or TV shows.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

2:

You're a machine.

This show's real good.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
The second episode was wonderful, both with ^ and with everything the coach does during the episode. I'm also glad that there is a reason that he tosses in english words while he is talking, because that was bugging me a little in the first episode.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
That was much better than the first episode. The main characters actually feel interesting now.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
BEWARE OF KITES, THEY LOVE TO BURG

aers
Feb 15, 2012

For those wondering about the OP, there was a pre-screening/talk event and people who attended said there is an OP coming eventually. There's a rumor going around animation circles based on the talk event that the OP is being done by Shinya Ohira, if that's true it should be nothing short of amazing.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Zorak posted:

BEWARE OF KITES, THEY LOVE TO BURG

I really hope 'burgers being forcefully taken away from people' is a recurring theme in the series.

Anyways, the episode was fun, and I already want another episode to be out. I can't even really explain even why I like this show but it's really compelling.

Wikiman
May 30, 2011
I really like how this series looks. It really helps to not just look like everything else.

The whole robot thing in this episode was amazing. I loved the sound design in it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I wonder what exactly it was that caused Smile to emotionally retreat like he has. He didn't seem like that as a kid, really.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Zorak posted:

I wonder what exactly it was that caused Smile to emotionally retreat like he has. He didn't seem like that as a kid, really.

judging by how he was locked into that broom closet i am going to assume he was bullied.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
This show is the best. It is actually ridiculous and unfair to other shows. That is how good this show is.

Differences to the manga-ish related talk about why Yuasa is awesome: Yuasa is sticking really close to the manga but his additions, specifically the broomcloset scene and the whole robot transformation are incredible. I rewatched that scene like 4 times. I'm really glad his additions are this good. It's maintaining the realism of the manga without compromising Yuasa's overall grasp of character and stylization. Basically: Thanks Yuasa.

Also, I am glad the OP is changing every week. That's super cool. If the rumors about Ohira are true (And I'm sure they are -- Yuasa mentioned that he wanted to work with Ohira again when I interviewed him during all the Kick-Heart stuff) I'm sure the results will be impressive.

laplace fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 20, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I keep seeing Kamakura pop up in anime. First Ika Musume and Tari Tari and now this show. It's a really awesome place and everyone should visit it if they're in Tokyo. Beware the kites though. They're worse than seagulls.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Like everyone else, I find myself irresistibly compelled by this show. The sounds of the ping pong are already making me subconsciously engaged, and that will only become more so. I also thought Smile's arc in the episode was amazing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wikiman posted:

I really like how this series looks. It really helps to not just look like everything else.

The whole robot thing in this episode was amazing. I loved the sound design in it.

The robot motif was brilliant. I didn't think much of the first half, but the payoff was absolutely brilliant.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I made a gif of the best moment this episode

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I made a gif of the best moment this episode

Thank god, I was hoping someone would gif that.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
How long is the manga? Is 11 episodes enough to cover everything?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

laplace posted:

Also, I am glad the OP is changing every week. That's super cool. If the rumors about Ohira are true (And I'm sure they are -- Yuasa mentioned that he wanted to work with Ohira again when I interviewed him during all the Kick-Heart stuff) I'm sure the results will be impressive.

Well, we got proof:

https://twitter.com/honnyaku_blog/status/457421067535937536

Still don't know when we're seeing the actual OP, but the KA list is amazing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mercrom posted:

How long is the manga? Is 11 episodes enough to cover everything?
5 volumes. So, probably? With a little bit of editing here and there. The movie for reference was 114 minutes.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

aers posted:

Well, we got proof:

https://twitter.com/honnyaku_blog/status/457421067535937536

Still don't know when we're seeing the actual OP, but the KA list is amazing.

Miyazawa Yasunori (maybe)

Don't know why but that made me giggle. The guy's worked with Yuasa since all the way back on Vampiyan, so I'm curious why it's a (maybe) considering how he had a lot of contributions to Tatami Galaxy as well.

What an exciting list of names. This show is too good.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hahahaha holy loving poo poo:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-21/ping-pong/kick-heart-yuasa-directs-adventure-time-episode

Looks like Yuasa is going to be directing an episode of Adventure Time? That RULES.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

Hahahaha holy loving poo poo:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-21/ping-pong/kick-heart-yuasa-directs-adventure-time-episode

Looks like Yuasa is going to be directing an episode of Adventure Time? That RULES.

This is like a return to Happy Machine, which is loving awesome. The animation fidelity (which is generally good in Adventure Time anyway iirc) was also pleasant.

But this is hilarious because just imagining Yuasa attempting to direct a team of american animators (making something distinctly american) when he doesn't speak a lick of English is great. I'm glad his popularity over here is bearing fruit.

Edit: seriously though what?! I can't even believe this is happening.

It turns out the entire episode was animated in Japan with no outside supervision, which explains the really silly lipsync.

laplace fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 21, 2014

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
That seems remarkably fitting. I hope the episode nails the humor though.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Mercrom posted:

That seems remarkably fitting. I hope the episode nails the humor though.

The preview alone is full of great gags, I think it's going to be fine.

I just love how the layouts and compositions are so cinematic, too. I wish CN would just give Yuasa a show of his own.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I've been saying this for a while but I really need to watch Adventure Time. I'd love to see a Making Of for this episode just to see how this all came about.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

laplace posted:

Miyazawa Yasunori (maybe)

Don't know why but that made me giggle. The guy's worked with Yuasa since all the way back on Vampiyan, so I'm curious why it's a (maybe) considering how he had a lot of contributions to Tatami Galaxy as well.

What an exciting list of names. This show is too good.

The guy who tweeted that/wrote down the KA list is a Japanese animation fan who goes to basically every pre-air/talk show event he can, he scribbles down as many names from the credits as he can remember. The maybe is because he just wasn't sure, probably!

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Anybody know if or when the full version of the OP song will be out? I really like it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Paper Triangle posted:

Anybody know if or when the full version of the OP song will be out? I really like it.

I think this is the song and the single isn't out until June. And yea, it's loving great.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7nE0QsnbJw

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

A luscious rainforest springing from the contact between earthen soil and human soil would be within the realm of this series.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today is Ping Pong day, the best day of the week.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Ping Pong has an OP, and it owns.

kyubeybryant
Jan 4, 2013

That OP was worth the wait.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So can somebody explain to me what a Chopper is? Smile seems to be one, or maybe not, and I have no idea what that even means.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

tonberrytoby posted:

So can somebody explain to me what a Chopper is? Smile seems to be one, or maybe not, and I have no idea what that even means.

You hit the ball with a vertical chopping motion which is usually a defensive position

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010
Lucy Heartfilia had a great post about it earlier.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The visual style of this show isn't all pretty and cutesy, but it feels so energetic and alive! I really like it and think it's beautiful.

Also:
A chopper is a table tennis player who mainly uses chops to hit the ball, and is typically a defensive player who waits for the opponent to make a mistake first.

In table tennis, a chop is a backspin stroke (with anything from virtually no-spin to heavy backspin) that is performed from about 3 feet or more from the end of the table, usually against a drive or loop from the opponent. The bat will hit the ball somewhere between the bottom and the back of the ball, imparting more backspin if the ball is skimmed rather than hit solidly.

Forehand Chop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7DlijPvZmU
Backhand Chop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUTnMh0FV8

Shakehand and penhold grips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zq-OHCNx7o

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
This show is like nothing I've ever seen and I'm loving every second of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
That OP was freaking amazing. And so is the humming.

• Locked thread