Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
OOC thread

For most of you, it’s been a while.

With the reviews of records, decisions, and overall bureaucracy, none of you have been able to log into -The World- Online for quite a while due to your accounts being seized and reviewed, but now, finally, whether with determination, resignation, or anticipation, you dive in.

The song is basically meant to accompany the opening of the first episode of an anime, where all of you are seen putting on your Full-Divers and heading into -The World- Online loading interface.

Please Wait

Currently creating -The World-

You were each given a strict time to log in for a first meeting, your accounts were locked until then, and you’ve now been given access. It didn’t help that this was all explained to you across annoyingly spread out emails over a few weeks as your role in all this was decided, though.

-The World- has successfu-

You then hear that familiar static...

Loading Twilight_hack.exe

Each of you had access to mysterious hack pack that had appeared on the internet for some reason. The only thing you know is that it lets you hack -The World- in many ways and that Asuni Corp. have never been able to create countermeasures for it.

After the hacks and game has booted up successfully, you log in to -The World- Online proper. You all find yourselves sitting at a table in the middle of a… rather decrepit building. It looks like it hasn’t been maintained at all.

So now, a half-naked sealer, an old mage in purple, a petite girl in red, a red-haired young man, and a twinblade Cat Girl sit around at a table…

If each of you could post your character sheet in your first post with all the fluff stripped out to make it smaller, that'd be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Baccarat

Yawning hugely, Baccarat leans her chair back and puts her booted feet up on the table. The bells on ankle and tail jingle quietly as she idly plays with one of her blades. "So they finally let us loose. One big happy family of crackers all playing nicely together." She blows a long raspberry. "Whatever. You can call me Baccarat. So, what are we supposed to be doing here? I don't care that much, but you guys might be bored."

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Kaito Hitomi / Baccarat
CV: Mayumi Shintani
Refresh: 3
MMO Stress/Consequences: OOO [-2/-4/-6]
Compromisation: OO [-2/-4/-6]
Mental Stress/Consequences: OOO [-2/-4/-6]

High Concept: Freelance Rogue
Hacker Rationale: Grand Theft Data
Trouble: Forced Bet
Aspect: Powergamer
Class: Twin Blade Advanced Class: Thief-Acrobat

Skills:
Character:
+3: Speed
+2: Melee, Impossible Thievery*
+1: Detect, Inventory, Ranged

Hacker:
+3: Hack
+2: Contacts, Integration
+1: Trolling, Will
+0: Emote

Stunts & Extras:
Ability TheftClass: By invoking the aspect Calling Card created by Impossible Thievery, you can use one of the Stunts or Skills of the character affected by the aspect for a single action.

Min-Maxer: When Baccarat invokes an aspect while rolling a skill in which she is only Mediocre (+0) or Average (+1), she gets a +3 instead of a +2. However, this places the boost Min-Maxed on Baccarat. The next time she rolls a Mediocre (+0) or Average (+1) skill while Min-Maxed is in effect, she takes a -1 penalty to the roll. Min-Maxed is then removed.

Quarantine Protocol: When you perform a Data Drain, you may choose to sequester the data rather than immediately accessing it. You can choose when to integrate the data, or to subject it to analysis before integrating it, or even pass it off to another character to integrate.

Twin StrikeClass: When you make a successful melee attack against a target that deals a consequence, you may spend a Fate Point to invoke that consequence to make another melee attack against the same target.

Impossible Thievery (Class Skill)
This skill is the ability that allows the Phantom Thief to use their magic to debuff or confound enemies, unlock or disable dungeon obstacles, or steal the abilities of enemies.

Overcome: Yes You can use Impossible Thievery for disabling traps and magical hazards or unlocking doors or portals.

Attack: No.

Defend: Yes. You can use Impossible Thievery to defend against Trap attacks.

Create an Advantage: Yes. Impossible Thievery can be used to create optical illusions or even become invisible.

Special: Impossible Thievery can be used to place the aspect Calling Card on a character. Most Phantom Thief class abilities are most, or even only, effective against targets with this aspect.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 4, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Furtuna FP 1/1

"Most people would be excited about playing games for money," Matthias/Furtuna observes with a shrug. She leaves aside the fact that she was probably as annoyed as the catgirl's player was when she was told she had to stay on the job while their new patrons did the background checks. She shakes her head, ignoring the soft buzz, buzz in her temples, and props her staff up against a ruined bit of wall behind her. "Anyway, nice to meet you, Baccarat. Call me Furtuna. It means 'gale'."

Davin Valkri posted:

/ NSFW
Theme

High Concept: Bought-Out Startup Engineer
Sample Invoke: And now it's time for my elaborate and college educated skills to come into play!
Sample Compel: Have no money, Asuni can't buy me, but they can pressure me...

Trouble: Every Day the Same Dream
Sample Invoke: Commiserate with others in the "real world", enjoy fantasy
Sample Compel: Enjoy fantasy a bit too much, have no life

Hacker Rationale: It's All About the Pentiums
Sample Invoke: Do something showy in code, get help from other members of MAD Andrej and Dominic
Sample Compel: Speak in freakish technojargon that nobody understands; technically still a company employee, get caught as a corporate whistleblower

Free/Interface: The All-Seeing AI
Glitched Area: Matthias'/Panoptes' Glitched Areas largely resemble the standard area, but with bright pastel sheens over everything. They are color-corresponded to script triggers, objects, important/unimportant NPCs, NPC walk nodes, etc.
Sample Invoke: Parse script triggers; help others go around bad triggers (e.g., this tile is trapped), AI benefits, technobabble, combine the power of the AI and the human
Sample Compel: Forget that most people don't see the script triggers, AI quirks, everybody wants Panoptes, AI + human = it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts

Class: Wind Mage
Class Weapons: Wind Spells (ranged)
Type: Magical
Class Techs: Fortress of Storms. Once per battle, the Wind Mage may roll Class Tech to place the aspect Fortress of Storms on a zone. Enemies may not enter or exit the Fortress of Storms zone, as they are buffeted by hurricane-force winds that push them back to their original position, unless they use any skill to Overcome the aspect (and disperse it) by matching the original Class Tech roll.
Class Stunt (Free): Zephyr's protection (Armor): Because the Wind Mage's spell list includes a number of defensive spells, Furtuna can add +2 to Tanking Overcome rolls if there's a reasonable chance the damage-dealing vector can be blown away, slowed, or otherwise misdirected by an errant gust.
Sample Invoke: Move quickly, apply area effects, support other players
Sample Compel: Not very tanky or strong; "Ha ha, you loving weirdo! I'll bet you like looking down and--"

MMO Skills:
+3: Support
+2: Knowledge, Detect
+1: Speed, Tanking, Ranged Weapon

Player Skills
+2: Integration, Will
+1: Emote, Contacts
+0: Trolling

Stresses:
MMO: OOO(O) Consequences 2/4/6
Mental OO(O) Consequences 2/4/6
Compromised (O) Consequences 2/4/6

Stunts:
This Place Looks Familiar (Knowledge): Because Matthias helped debug the game, once per session, he can place the scene-wide aspect "Ins and Outs". While this aspect is in effect, all advantages Matthias creates have two free invokes. This includes "Ins and Outs".
Totally a Beta Tester! (Interface) : Because Matthias' name is technically in the credits list...somewhere...he may appeal to moderators to clear a Mild or Moderate Compromised consequence on another player between scenes as long as he himself has not been blacklisted (has a Compromised consequence himself)
Random Number Seeding (Hack/Integration): Matthias can force the World to interrupt its programming flow and rerun its RNG scripting. While originally handy for tracking boss AI patterns and testing how "gracefully" NPCs take interrupts, this can also be used for more nefarious ends like duping rare drop rolls and making an enemy not use its signature attack in the first place. In game terms, by rolling Integration or Hack successfully he or his AI can force an ally or enemy to reroll its move. This takes an action (if ally) or counts as a defense move (if enemy). On a success with style, roll twice and pick one.

Panoptes the AI posted:

AI Synchronization OOO
AI Compromised 2/4/6
AI Will OO 2/4/6

AI Executions:
+4: Dissection
+3: Propagation
+2: Restoration
+1: Destruction

Refresh: 1

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 20, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Eh, it's not that bad.

The sealer drums her fingers on the table, for lack of entertainment and patience. Her other hand twirls a strand of hair down by her hip. Her mouth starts moving a second before she starts up, in a tinny soprano, "hi, i'm pyrite. so like, i figured we were supposed to make this our ichq or something? we could always copy-paste some scenery in here if it's too drab. i can even refurbish the walls. i dunno."

Pyrite lifts her hand off the table to check her nails. "they want us to get familiar with each other? y'know, so we don't go all renegade and 'grr, that's against protocol!' and stuff. probably."

Rather Watch Them posted:

The Pretender / The Reeling

Refresh: 3
MMO Stress: [1][2][3] (-2/-4/-6)
Mental Stress: [1][2][3] (-2/-4/-6)
Compromisation: [1] (-2/-4/-6)

High Concept: Dragged Into Deep Cover
Hacker Rationale: Textures-Am-Me
Trouble: I've Been Burned Before
Free: Still Life Artist
Class: Sealer

Class Weapon: Brush (Magic Melee), Seal (Magic Ranged)
Type: Magic
Class Skill: Calligraphy
(Overcome: Yes, Attack: No, Defend: No

Create An Advantage: Yes, and Yes!
Instead of the usual Advantage roll, I can name a basic action before I roll. If my "attack" succeeds, I Seal the named Action until they next roll to perform it, at which time my Seal subtracts a penalty from the roll equal to the number of shifts by which the attack succeeded. (i.e., I can subtract from their next Attack if I name Attack, but the enemy can Overcome like normal.) I can only have one active Sealed Action per enemy, and the attack does not actually deal stress damage with this method.

It can also Create An Advantage like normal, which is boring but effective: sticking tags on stuff to make them stronger or weaker, stuff like that.)

MMO Skills

+3: Calligraphy
+2: Inventory, Support
+1: Detect, Speed, Stealth

Player Skills

+3: Trolling
+2: Emote, Will
+1: Integrate, Hack
+0: Contacts

Stunts

[Class] Gonna Give You The Slip: When I use Calligraphy to Create an Advantage on an enemy (the normal way), I can add a free tag to the resulting Aspect. The Aspect (denoted by the preface Seal:) can be invoked before the sealed enemy's next turn to give them -2 to their next roll as well as its usual function.
Who Needs Enemies?: I can use Trolling on a Contacts roll by enticing some know-it-all to correct my horribly inaccurate rumors.
[Class] Swift Kick In The Buff: Once per scene, as long as I'm not under attack I can give them one more MMO Stress at the end of their track to tank hits I'm not taking. This extra box (labeled [^]) will go away when filled, and I can only have one of these stress boxes floating around at a time.
If You Got It, Flaunt It: Once per scene, before I take my action for a turn, I can give someone (including myself) an incredibly overpowered Class Weapon they can use, with one free tag only to be used for Attacking and the suffix (OP).

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 1, 2014

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Ivan von Kassomir / Lazarus - FP: 3/3

The black cloaked sorcerer, swathed in ornate robes of deep black and purple, leans forward, elbows upon the table, tapping his fingers together, "Given the dilapidated state of our current whereabouts, I think we can safely assume that someone wishes to utilize this building as a clandestine meeting spot. I suspect we are in some old, locked out quest zone, given the lack of anyone besides our little brigade. Our... threadbare companion appears correct - they intend for us to deal with any initial squabbles before they - whomever they might be - appear to begin whatever discussion they have planned."

He pauses, looking at each companion in turn through narrowed eyes, "I am Lazarus."

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Sheet

Aspects: “Reclusive Genius”, “Accursed Sorcerer”, “Spider’s Web”, “Fear the Unknown”, “Savant Core 2.0”
Refresh: 3 = 3(base) -0(class stunt x1) -0(free stunts x3)
FP: 3/3

Stress & Consequences:
MMO:
OOOO
2:() 4:() 6:()
Compromisation:
O
Mental:
OOO

Skills:
MMO:
+3: Ranged Weapons
+2: Tanking, Knowledge
+1: Detect, Stealth, Inventory
Player:
+2: Will, Integrate
+1: Contacts, Emote

Stunts:
“Loremaster” - When using Knowledge to place or discover an aspect, Lazarus gains a +2 bonus.
“Apocrypta Sorcery” - Before attacking, choose to make the attack an Apocrypta Sorcery. For this attack, every + rolled increases the damage by one, but if two or more - are rolled, then Lazarus gains a negative aspect.
“MBarrier” - When using Tanking to defend, Lazarus gains a +2 bonus.
“Seeping Corruption” - When tagging or invoking a boost or aspect as part of an attack, Lazarus gains a +3 bonus (as opposed to the usual +2).

Class: Accursed Sorcerer
Type: Balanced
Class Weapons: Black Sorcery (Magical, Ranged); Wristblade (Physical, Melee)
Class Features:
-Class Stunt: “Apocrypta Sorcery”

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Baccarat

"Ooooh scary!" Baccarat makes wiggly motions with her fingers, the universal sign for spooky stuff, then sticks out her tongue at Lazarus before breaking up in laughter.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

She points a finger at Lazarus and smugly whips her head around. "squabbles, right. so, first thing you should know:" She taps the finger on the side of her neck, lowering her voice to a more clear bari-tenor. "I'm a man. I've been banned tons of times for using this skin to steal items from newbs. Which reminds me: if we go dungeon-crawling, remind me to hand you (Baccarat) and you (Lazarus) some new blades. Super OP, probably cracked, but I'm sure they'll be useful in moderation against party bosses. Or newbs."

She taps her throat again.

"what about the rest of you? any... secrets?" She winks at Trace. Ironically, of course.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Furtuna

"Secrets?" Furtuna cocks her head to the side. "Well...I'm also a man when logged off of the World. Besides that...I can't really think of anything."

buzz buzz

No, I'm not telling them now.

buzz buzz

Matthias in the full-diver winces a bit at the pain in his temple. Furtuna echoes the expression.

"Nngh!...I'm alright, the cat just decided to jump on my lap."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Trace

The red-haired young man looked around, smiling slightly when he confirmed his puppet was standing behind him.

"Trace. You're probably heard of me: first person, and so far only, to ever solo Absolute One. And hey, if someone's offering to pay me to play this game, I'm taking that offer. This game is amazing!" He grinned wide at that.

"But yeah, what exactly are waiting on here? I'd expect them to have been waiting for us."

quote:

Chester Black, Trace

Trace and Puppet

Refresh: 2
MMO Stress
Track: OOOO

MMO Consequences
Mild:
Moderate:
Severe:

Player Stress
OOO

Mental Consequences
Mild:
Moderate:
Severe:

Compromisation Stress
OO

Compromised Consequences
Mild:
Moderate:
Severe:

High Concept: ADHD Addict
Trouble: He Can Dish It Out, But He Sure Can't Take It!
Hacker Rationale: Spreadsheet Guru
Free: Anything to Win
Class: Puppeteer

Class Weapon: Puppet (used for both melee and ranged attacks)
The Puppeteer's puppet is a semi-autonomous golem through which he channels all of his status magic and aggro control. The puppet may be outfitted with many different kinds of weaponry. Trace's puppet is a model with an emphasis on Hand-to-Hand combat; Chester focused on that, and so the ranged weapon is the weak wrist-mounted crossbow standard on the model.

Type: Physical
Puppeteers can use their puppets to tank physical hits very well, but magic techniques are capable of bypassing the puppet entirely, hitting the fragile Puppeteer instead. The player needs to be crazy prepared to overcome this deficiency.

Semi-Autonomous Puppet (Class Stunt): The puppet may be moved independently from the Puppeteer. Unless a Move action is taken, only one of the Puppeteer or the puppet may be moved in a single round. The Puppeteer and his puppet are the origins of different skills. For example, the puppet is the origin of any Class Weapon rolls made by the Puppeteer, and any targets must be in the same zone as the puppet.

pre:
Puppeteer      Puppet
Speed                  Melee
Knowledge              Tanking
Detect                 Ranged
Inventory              Stealth
Friendlist             Support
pre:
MMO Skills
3: Tanking           
2: Inventory Melee
1: Detect    Support
pre:
Hacker Skills
3: Integration
2: Hack        Trolling 
1: Emote       Will
Stunts
Monitoring Script (Hack): Chester runs a script alongside The World that not only tracks his buff and debuff timers, but refreshes them automatically. Trace may spend a Fate Point when he Creates an Advantage to mark the created aspect with this stunt. At the end of the 2nd round following the action, reapply the aspect to the same target with one free tag. If the original target has been Taken Out, Chester may choose a new target.

Golem Shield (Tanking): Chester has optimized Trace as a tank. As long as Trace has no Consequences, once per round he may redirect an attack targeting an ally in his puppet's zone to himself. He may defend against this attack as normal.

Number Cruncher (Inventory): Chester has spent a lot of time optimizing his equipment and inventory items, stockpiling a number of attack and defense items. Trace may use Inventory to Attack or Defend. He may only use this ability when his puppet is in a different zone.

Obsessive Data Collection (Integration): Chester is obsessed with documenting all stats, abilities, and drops of every enemy in -The World-. Once per scene, when Chester first enters combat with an NPC or mob that has not been affected by this stunt previously, you may place the aspect "Data Analyzed" on that NPC or mob with one free invoke. As long as the free invoke exists, all of Chester's allies (but not Chester) have +1 to Defend rolls against that NPC or mob.

Chester may spend an action to roll Integration against the active defense of an NPC or mob that has been previously affected by this stunt or a passive defense of +3, whichever is higher, to place "Data Analyzed" on that NPC or mob with the same defensive effect as above.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Lazarus glares at Baccarat for a moment then chuckles and nods. "I am somewhat wealthy," he says as if it were a slight understatement, "Enough that I can remain at home and do as I so wish, for the most part."

Glancing at Trace, he adds, "We await whomever chose to bring us here to reveal the why, obviously."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Sorry for the wait."

A door that had been in shadows upens up and bright light from the outside comes in. It looks like you're in the root town Mac Anu.

The door closes and your eyes readjust to the dim light, and you see a scarred man in robes and armor walk towards the table.

"I didn't get up until about half an hour ago... Anyways welcome to the guild hall we're using for a meeting place. I haven't seen much of a point to pay upkeep so it's a bit of mess." The man says with a shrug.

"I'm the leader of this project, we brought you here using guild guest passes while we had access to your accounts. I wanted you all to meet before sending you off on to the Event, not like there's any reason to rush."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Trace

"Psssh, like anyone needed to actually meet me. My reputation precedes me." Trace cocked his head to the side, "So, what about this event has you all riled up?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Furtuna

As Matthias/Furtuna rubs off their headache, their apparent contact comes in. Furtuna grabs her staff on the wall and smiles. "Well, hello, then. Nice guild hall...it sounds like some of us might be interested in paying your upkeep. If only for appearance's sake."

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

"an event? ooh..." The opportunity perks Pyrite back up, standing up to turn the chair backwards and drape her arms over the back. She's actually wearing some lovingly-textured canvas shorts, if anyone bothers looking.

"i like public events, obviously. refresh my memory, sir. limited-time quest? holiday? oh, do tell me it's a holiday."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Well, calling it 'riled up' is a bit of an overstatement. We're just trying to dig up connections that could be funding Asuni in semi-legal ways to see if we can dig up anything more major. It's not like there's a small amount of hackers out there to blackmail for the job, so this is pretty cheap for us to fund as is. Might as well try to investigate it and see what we dig up." The man says with a shrug.

"Anyways, your first objective is to enter the Real Money Event taking place in Λ Enticing Dangerous Maze. You guys will be doing most of the leg work in figuring things out about the event... The most I can offer is the Player Character Ken'ichigo. He's apparently a Revolver Knight class who ninjas prizes in events, that IS what you call it right?"

Real Money Events are events held where you buy a pass that allows you to enter an area using the Chaos Gate. They typically have rare items or classes being offered, and the passes sell out quickly, chances are good you legally buying a pass NOW are slim to none...

The man scratches his head as he thinks if ninja is the right word for someone who steals rare items from the group they're a part of, but he then moves on.

"Typically, we notice that the prizes he earned tended to show up online. We're not sure if this is connected to Asuni at all, but digging up more criminals can be useful for contacts."

The man then turns his attention to Furtuna.

"No real point, I just opened the guild when I made an account and had a temp level this character. It's just a cheap meeting place online, whatever."

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Lazarus nods at their grizzled looking employer, "Capture the blackguard and convince him to share information. An adequate test of our talents from your perspective too, no doubt. Did you attempt to inquire about the financial details of the item sales? It could provide a clue."

He paused for a moment, before adding, "Do you have any preference as to the final fate of Ken'ichigo, or is one of those operations that leaves that up to us?"

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 20, 2014

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Trace

"Whatever. As long as I get to play," Trace looked around the room once more, taking in the group, "Hell, this even gives me an opportunity to possibly run some of the tactics I've been brainstorming over the last week or so. You guys game?"

He seemed mostly oblivious to... whatever the stakes were. Or hell, whatever they were really supposed to do. Maybe these people wouldn't avoid him like the plague.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Baccarat

Baccarat sighs, shaking her head and raising her arms in a shrug. "No wonder you need us, Gramps. Trust us, this place needs fixing up pronto. And your timing could use some work, we're going to need to scramble to make this event." She stretches, the kicks away from the table and hops to her feet. "No point in waiting around in that case! We can argue about guild names and curtain sets later."

She heads for the door, pausing to look back at the others. "Oh, and my secret - I really am a cat! Best thing about the internet, no one can tell~" Baccarat heads out, laughing again.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 21, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

"ah yes... the Ninja. This Ken'ichigo is a classic griefer. No frills. I like it. I mean, I morally don't, but i so do..."

Then she recognizes Trace. "ah, right, the puppet master! guess i know where my focus will be. in combat, i mean."

Back to... the guide? "You can hand us the keys, What's-your-handle. I figure we can chip in for upkeep. Don't even have to hit upgrade goals as long as I have access to decor. I had a few ideas in mind. Anyone see Dr. Strangelove? A War Room might be cool."

Pyrite falls asleep for a second. Then a green felt texture appears in a window in front of her face. "Like that."

Baccarat jostles the pop-up closed, which makes Pyrite sit up straight. "Ugh, fine. let's get this done quick. i'll scratch that itch as soon as we come back."

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 20, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Furtuna

"Does that mean we're not allowed to fight in here?" Furtuna nods at Pyrite before standing up, her skirt falling down around her shins. "Anyways...so we're trying to figure out if this...Ken'ichigo is a Asuni money launderer, then? And we need to hear it right from his mouth--"

Then she realizes what Lazarus says and looks oddly at him. "What exactly would we do? Stealing prizes is poor form and all, but the best we can do in here is report him to moderators. Well...we should probably head out to this /\ Enticing Dangerous Maze, then. I'm guessing you have paid passes for us?"

buzz buzz

Not right off the bat.

buzz buzz

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Pyrite leers at Furtuna, with more ego than malice. "of course we can. we just have to be discreet about it." She stands up and glides to the door. "not that any of us are very subtle." She tails Baccarat out the door, facing inward the whole way.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"There'd be no point in hiring hackers if they couldn't get themselves in places they don't belong, RIGHT? So we don't have any passes."

The man shrugs again.

"Oh yeah, and you're not getting signed up to this guild because that'd have an identifying meeting place picked out. We'll get you guest passes if we need you, though. If you want me to spruce up the place or whatever, just give me the resources and I'll do it myself if I feel like. Maybe if you do a good job or something, I dunno. Oh yeah, and when it comes to the ninja guy, we'll need you to extract data so we know who he is. So do that Data Draining thing that comes in the Twilight Hack Pack you all have on your Full-Divers. It should give you some illegal skills and all that."

It looks like you're not going to get any help on finding passes...

It looks like you guys need to secure passes! There are several ways to do this. The most direct way would be to screw the passes and just Gate Hack your way in using the Twilight Hack Pack, of course.

Aside from that, you could roll Knowledge or Friends List to have access to passes by knowing somebody or knowing about the event ahead of time. Alternatively, you might bribe a player to giving you a pass with some Sweet Loot by using Inventory.

Whatever you do, you each have to try and overcome a 2 difficulty challenge of getting a pass. If you try Gate Hacking, the difficulty is equal to whatever the Dungeons Cheat Detection rating is, which you don't know unless you research it... be careful~

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

"I actually already possess one of the passes. I got bored last year and wrote up a quick bot that purchases any event limited stuff like this. Handy thing, actually," says Lazarus as he stands, shaking his robes straight, and moves to leave.

Thinking back, he pulls open his RSS reader (a custom client, of course) in a side window and runs a search for the zone name on a few feeds for sites where beta testers post their thoughts. "I think I read about this one..." he muses to himself as Lazarus moves out of the guild hall. Pulling up an account of the dungeon, he begins skimming it.

((
Knowledge(+2): /+++ +2 = +5
Succeeds with Style and gains Boost: "WorldBetas.Com"
))

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Down in the square of Mac Anu, Pyrite sets up an open trade request above her head.

"trading EG equip 4 evpass!!! ;)"

Waving Inventory in front of men's faces.

(Krysmbot) RWT, +++++2 = 6

A line begins forming almost immediately. How nice of them to help a frail little woman. She calms them down by waving both arms in the air. "thanks bunches, boys! hugs!" While the males start swarming for the chance to cop a feel, Pyrite ducks under their legs and struts to the Chaos Gate, pass in metaphorical hand.

Boost: Deep Pockets

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 20, 2014

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Trace
FP: 2-1=1

Knowledge roll to have already purchased a pass:
Krysmbot
10:03 omegagoo, /+/-+1 = 1
Spending a FP to tag ADHD Addict. Of course Chester has a pass. He always has a pass.

"Of course I have a pass. I got one the moment the event was announced. I'm just happy you didn't lock my account through the whole thing."

Trace stood up and gestured, causing the golem to walk toward the door, "While I normally do some hands-on research before committing to this, it sounds like we're more pressed for time than normal. I'll see if I can do some research on the way there. I suggest you all do the same if we're going to do this right."

HIs interface popped up and he walked out the door, "I'll meet you at the gate. See you shortly!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Furtuna FP 1-1/1

"So...no passes, then." Furtuna and Matthias frown simultaneously. Furtuna slumps down in her chair, then sits up again, a bit more aggression in her voice. "That's fine," she says, her voice having switched from a young, petite woman to a young, tired man. "I know this game like the back of my hand. I helped build it."

More like he tapped at some of the support beams to make sure they were okay, but still...

"Excuse me a second, would you?" Furtuna/Matthias holds their hands up in the air. In the real world, Matthias has eased the visor on the full diver up just enough to see his socket terminal and start typing.

[20:11:18] <Davin_Valkri> Hell with it, I'm hacking this
[20:11:20] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[20:11:21] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, ----+3 = -1

After a few moments and some glowing red exclamation marks, he pounds the table in annoyance, and Furtuna does the same, seemingly out of nowhere. "drat corporate firewalls!" they shout. "I built you! I'm your master! Now roll over for me!"

[20:11:24] <devilmaydry> hahhaha
[20:11:26] <@ChrisAsmadi> No, you're not.
[20:11:28] <Davin_Valkri> DRIVE DRIVE
Make that a +7

"...better. Maybe."

[20:19:56] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+2
[20:19:57] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, +//-+2 = 2
[20:19:59] <Davin_Valkri> :(
[20:20:13] <devilmaydry> well, I rolled a 3
One stress, cleared by next scene

An alert pops up in the corner of his vision. He brushes it off. "Later, dammit."

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 20, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Baccarat

Baccarat skips out into the town, making her way towards the event start without any apparent concern about her lack of a pass. In fact, she takes a swing by the pass shop, and buys one for an event next week.

As she gets closer to the current one though, her ears prick up. Baccarat listens carefully for the right mark - a solo character, but one who likes to brag about all the events they do. She picks on of these at random, and uses an old trick to establish a connection - bring up a trade request window on the target, to see what they have on offer, but then closing it before making an offer.

No obvious connection is made, but the whole point is to get her sniffer programs the scent, to catch the little query across databases that identifies which piece of encrypted code represents the other character. Hitomi gets to work. It's almost too easy a hack - if she was just outright stealing the pass, it would be easier to detect. But instead she swaps the code for the one she just purchased with the one her mark is holding. The watcher programs are best at noticing when something goes missing, but two pieces of data of equal size with similar values swapping places? That happens all the time, and is much easier to spoof, if you're fast and clever and good.

And Hitomi is all of these.

Baccarat hops up on a wall and casually walks along the narrow top, hands tucked behind her back, as she approaches the gate, scanning the crowd for her new comrades.

Covert Hacking!
[19:33] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +//++3 = 5

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 21, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Each of you get a Flash Mail, the in-game private message system, from a character named Gary1748.

quote:

It looks like you all found a way through? At least that's what it looks like on your monitors. Anyway, hurry up and party up at the Chaos Gate. We're going to Λ Enticing Dangerous Maze

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Furtuna FP 0/1

Furtuna reaches up with her hand and plucks a glowing gold-leaf pass from apparently thin air. As she brushes an invisible alert with her other hand, she runs out of the room to catch up with the rest of the "party", carrying her staff in one hand, a chat globe recorder set to "recent contacts" in the other, and (in "schoolgirl" fashion) the pass between her teeth.

"Hey, wait up!" she calls out into the chat globe, her voice flickering between male and female. "And uh...hang on."

With a bit of effort, Matthias makes Furtuna babble out a long string of letters and numbers. "External link, third party chat program," she manages to whisper before she coughs, nearly dropping her pass. "Agh...whispers are hard..."

Hacking myself (and the party) a Super Private Channel for our talks
[18:31:03] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[18:31:03] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, +++++3 = 7
...huh?!

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Λ Enticing Dangerous Maze

As you warp into the area, the familiar golden rings creating your avatar near a Chaos Gate in a kind of carnival square, you see several stands with NPCs selling many kinds of items as well as a large crowd of players within the colorful square. In the back of the area, you see a very large, very ominous cave opening.

The players look hyped to play, all of them talking amongst themselves. There appears to be an announcement board overhead, as you look up at it the words enlarge to take up more than half of your field of vision.

quote:

WELCOME TRANSIENTS

Try your hand at defeating Minos and his Minions in this grand maze in order to gain the soul of the famed Olympian, and secure rare ore for yourself!

The first floor is currently open to any brave souls, the official opening of the dungeon down to the fourth floor will being in 30 minutes!

It looks like you’ve arrived at the event, and you’ll probably have to go into the Dungeon in order to get Ken’ichigo by himself… but you’ll also have to FIND him first.

Right, there are 3 things you can do in this Investigation Phase. One of them is crucial while the others are just helpful.

The first goal is to find and track Ken’ichigo somehow. Finding him could be a lot fo different skills, the first that come to mind would be Detect or Friends List, but I’m sure there are others.

Then you have to track him. You can do this in a myriad of ways either by getting him in your party, hacking his locational data, or just trying to tail him throught he dungeon when it opens up.

THEN there’s the normal dungeon Investigation phase stuff. which is found in the booklet.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Furtuna FP 0/1
Compromised X -2/-4/-6

By the time Furtuna makes it to the square where the event will start, the place is already jam packed. In the carnival of colors and people it's impossible to pick out just one, especially one "ninja" that she had no idea for appearance!

...of course, she DOES have the block menu game interface to help with that. She touches the tip of her staff to the chat sphere, as Matthias/Furtuna recites some pseudocode to themselves.

"Server. Filter: Channel. Filter: Immediate Map Instance. List All Players. Find: Ken'Ichigo. Highlight in World."

Hey, don't all MMORPGs have something like this? Let's go Detect and Overcome!
[17:10:35] <Davin_Valkri|2> !r fudge+2
[17:10:36] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri|2, +-/++2 = 3

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 22, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

A minimap highlights a dot in the square and in the world, you see someone with a faint outline, he's hard to make out form the crowd, though. It looks like you've found Ken'ichigo.

He seems to be talking up a gorup of players already, they seem to be in a private conversation though, considering the text box symbol over their heads.

I'd call that an application of the Detect skill, yeah. Hunters in World of Warcraft have the ability to track all of one type of thing on their minimap, and that can include players.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 22, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Pyrite glances at Furtuna's meager ability to use game mechanics and dismissively fans her hand. If one were to stand close to her they would practically hear her eyes rolling. Pyrite's hands feel forward for Takahashi's keyboard. It's not like he needs to look at what he's typing. He passed English; he knows about home row. He does pull up a window to single out Furtuna, though.

She swaggers to Ken'ichigo's party while twinkling her fingers in front of her. In a few moments, Furtuna receives a personal Flash Mail.

i would have expected more from a poser than to use basic tricks like that. watch and learn how a real woman gets poo poo done ;P

Flicking away the excess polygons of hair (a good chunk of hair is painted onto the actual skin; no rendered nudity on this model at all), Pyrite opens up a party request with the header:

"1 open, ranged AD req, loot FCFS, free EG ranged/phys wep!"

She stands close to Kenny, crosses her arms and leers expectantly before speaking. "wanna speedrun? i bet this [Peacemaker-G "Lucille" (+crit, ++hit, drain)] i'll get done before you"

A window pops out between them displaying the item, Pyrite assuming Kenny doesn't know what a Peacemaker-G looks like. Behind the window, she's sticking her tongue out and winking.

<Krysmbot> RWT, -/+/+2 = 2

Invoking Deep Pockets to make that 4.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Trace
FP: 1-1=0

"Hey! You over there! Yeah, the Revolver Knight!"

Trace walked over to the group of people chatting with Ken, puppet in tow.

"We need a DPS for our preliminary run of this event dungeon. Should take 40 minutes, tops. Gives you some insight to the instance and two shots at the loot. You in?"

Emote roll! Gotta convince him I'm awesome.
Krysmbot
2:36 omegagoo, -+-++1 = 1
Well that sucks. I'm gonna join Davin in the FP-less box and tag He Can Dish it Out, But He Sure Can't Take It! for some reputation flaunting action.I think that's a Good attempt.

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 22, 2014

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Entering the zone, Lazarus stands back from the crowd, observing like a imposing obsidian monolith as Ivan tabs open a few browser windows, skimming through various forum threads and game data dumps as his fingers fly across his keyboard like a master pianist. Into another window, this time an encrypted chat channel helpfully provided by Furtana, he notes down a few key details.

pre:
<LAZ> It appears that Asuni did at least attempt to make this one a surprise. Obfuscated game files, even, but as usual, the internet's found it anyway. Big shock.
<LAZ> Here's what I've got so far:
<LAZ> Element: Shadow/Earth
<LAZ> Obstacle: Concealed Spike Pits
<LAZ> Eyes open, gentlemen.
((
Knowledge(+4): /-+- +4 = +3.
Despite the bad roll, our fearless DM is even worse and it's still a SwS!
Learned:
Aspect: "Dungeon of Shadow and Earth"
Obstacle: "Hidden Spike Pits", diff 4
Dungeon has Secrecy +2
))

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Baccarat

Leaving the others to rope in the mark, Baccarat activates her stealth abilities and slips through the dungeon entrance. Creeping through the first few rooms, she gets a feel for the starting floor and where the exit to the next section is. She makes notes on the mobs and looks for movement patterns. Eventually, satisfied she's seen what she needs, Baccarat creeps back to the starting room to wait for the others to catch up.

pre:
<BAC> gentlemen? you just love leaving me out~
<BAC> scoped 1st floor & tried some basic exploits
<BAC> pretty tight code, havent seen much in the way of bugginess
<BAC> just some of the game-wide stuff
<BAC> looks like someones been reading greek myth
<BAC> place is a maze, designed to separate parties, easy to get lost
<BAC> if youre not me~
Stealth to explore the first floor!
[12:01] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +/+/+2 = 4

Aspect: Lost in the Maze
Obstacle: Minos' Minions, diff 3
Dungeon has Bugginess +1

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

As Trace and Pyrite approach Ken'ichigo, his group breaks off contact a bit to let you talk to him. It looks like they stop their private conversation, too.

When you make a request to see him, he seems to just completely ignore Trace but walks up to Pyrite. Looking at all the angles...

"Well, HELLO there. Nice... equipment. I wouldn't mind tagging along with you, little lady. Who else you got in your party?"

He waves the other people he was talking to away, and they make their way out of the crowd.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Pyrite pokes at thin air, winking at Kenny. Furtuna gets another Flash Mail.

that's how it's done. btw, fix your modulator. the illusion's all you got, 'sexy'

Pyrite bites her lip and begins counting on her fingers. "we got a 2b, windy, cursor, seal, n pupp. we need a range-capable AD like u to clean the spread. i'll even strip for u-i mean, slip. paper slips, buffs. that is, if u don't mind me focusing all my attention on u..." She puckers coyly, running a finger along his chest. "n i'll give u Lucille as an added bonus."

Oh look, the item window's still there. That sure is a nice package she's offering...

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 23, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Furtuna FP 0/1
Compromised X -2/-4/-6

Furtuna pouts to no one in particular as she replies to Pyrite's flash email.

[Oh, should I make a constant buff spell that causes updrafts to flip up my skirt? Maybe I can go to the cash shop and get some custom underwear! I did not choose a girl PC so I could **** my **** while playing, **** OFF]

She scowls as she walks to the party forming up by the dungeon entrance, and blinks noticeably as she hears something like laughter directly behind her eyes.

It's a weird human thing. Don't ask.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Λ Enticing Dangerous Maze(Dungeon)

A pop-up fills your screen after you've grouped up with Ken-ichigo, he seems to look quite smug and self assured.

quote:

THE DUNGEON IS NOW OPEN!

Stop the Ritual before Minos succeeds in becoming the King of Mosnters!

Bring back both Minos' Medallion AND the Head of the Great Minotaur for the grandest prize!

As you enter the dungeon in a rush, you see many split passage ways and twistng caverns. Shadows int he light dance and you hear singing in the background, like some kind of ritual.

small Minotaur-like beasts scamper around the dungeon, and with all the twisting pathways, it looks like things might get VERY confusing...

pre:

+3:?
+2:?, Secrecy
+1: ?, ?

Bugginess/Cheat Detection: 1/3

Aspects: Dungeon of Shadow and Earth, Lost in the Maze, ???

Stunts:

On a Need to Know Basis: When Knowledge or Friends list is used to Create Advantages or investigate the dungeon while no one has completed it, Secrecy is rolled at +2

???

???
Obstacles:

Traps:Hidden Spike Pits(4)

Mob Strength: Minos' Minions(3)

??:???
Alright, we've entered normal Dungeon exploration now. You don't have to complete the dungeon I suppose, just get Ken into a solitary area using a stealth roll... On the other hand, how fun is THAT?

The Mystery Obstacle will reveal itself once you've finished all of the other ones, if you didn't have any obstacles discovered I'd have probably revealed them one at a time randomly as you finished them.

After 2 posts of people exploring the dungeon(creating an aspect or overcoming an obstacle, stuff like that), I'll post again updating your progress and attacking you all.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 23, 2014

• Locked thread