Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
:coolfish: Sardines you say? :coolfish:

Sardines are pretty cool. I think there's like a million different kinds (ocean creatures, am I right?) but they probably adhere to a few common characteristics.

Dolphins eat them because Tuna don't eat them (thanks, evil fishing industry!). They probably actually eat them because they're nutritious and dolphins are way bigger so it's a curb stomp.

Humans don't eat dolphin cause they're smart and NO - that was Mahi-mahi you had. The Murtaughs stopped eating Tuna on account of dolphins, and you should too.

"Mom, dad killed flipper." -Nice Murtaugh who did Riggses laundry for him (he can't because of when wife)

Sardines are low in the food chain, so they're low in mercury.

Sardines are low in the food chain, so it's environmentally responsible to eat them instead of Tuna.

Sardines have some fish oils or summat, so they're good for your heart (think of it like car oil for your engine).

Sardines come in a can, so they won't go bad on you in four days-I'M LOOKING AT YOU, BUTTON MUSHROOMS!

So goons - get that cheeto dust off your paws and key open a tin of lip-smackin' sardina.

If you don't -- Good. More for me. :smug:

:krakken: Overview
Canned sardines are a special kind of meat. The quality/price range is very broad and unlike something like beef, can be purchased in 120g tins at a time. I think its best to treat them like wine or liquor. Start cheap, but not too cheap. No sense in wasting MacCutcheon whisky on an unrefined palate. You can definitely shell out $3-8/tin and it will be worth it, but not until you've spent some time in the trenches. Next to your buddies. With little personal space. Like a bunch of...somethings in some kind of small area...

:qfg: Alright I'm in! What kind should I start with?
King Oscars will do you fine. They are small, so you won't notice any bones. They are delicious upper-middle shelf sardines (and the best you'll find in the standard mega mart). If you're still a bit nervous about eating something that resembles a headless fish, go with any brand of boneless/skinless. Third option would be any sardines in tomato sauce as that tends to cut down on fishiness. If you like any of those, you are ready to experiment with the infinitude of brands out there. Beware that price is usually tied to quality. Don't get cheap on them, Dodson.

:btroll: Oh god how do I eat these?
Put em on crackers with hot sauce. Then graduate to making burgers with em like that one guy did. (Don't do that).

:tbear: Oh god I put an empty sardine can in my garbage can and now it's smellception.
Rinse out the sardine can in the sink before throwing it out. If that's still not enough, you can seal it in a ziploc bag. Or huck it over into your neighbors yard.

:hb: Oh god I can feel the spinal bones crumple when I eat them.
Only the bigger varieties have detectable bones. Most people eat them and they are good for you. Otherwise, fork the bodies open and gently lift out the spinal cord. Then eat it and pretend you're an ogre or that monster from Rugrats.
No Tommy...not like a dog.

:backtowork: Oh god these were good and I want to try other canned seafoods.
Give it a go and report back. If it's tuna, give it a go and don't report back.

:cedric: PSA: Anchovies and Sardines are completely different things! Substituting sardines for anchovies is like subbing pork chops for prosciutto.

:munch: How is they? :munch:

The best bargain (under "$2") and value (above "they're practically giving it away!") sardine is by far Trader Joe's Sardines in Harissa, as Bum the Sad reviewed for us (see below). The Harissa is so much better than the embarrassment that is called "hot sauce" in typical lower-shelf brands. It also does a good job of camouflaging what I can only assume is a plebeian sardine based on the price. If you're scared of hot stuff - try a tin and I think you'll manage. If you actually have a pair, fortify it with your favorite napalm and dig in.

Here is a pathetic collage of reviews:

Pros
-amazing smoky sardine flavor

Cons
-about $3.50/can
-big fish, possible boners

Pros
-negligible fishiness
-decent sauce
-flavorful. Not King Oscars, but still a flavor to savor.
-a delight to eat straight
-add cholula and you'll be in heaven

Cons
-around $2.30/can
-big fish, possible boniness

Bum the Sad posted:

Trip Report on Trader Joe's Sardines in Harissa on jasmine rice.

Ingredients: Sardines, Soy Oil, Harissa(Fresh Hot Red Peppers, Garlic, Coriander, Caraway and Salt), Salt
Seems to have been released September 9th according to the Trader Joe's website. I think this might be the first web review.

Delicious. Nice and firm 'dines with crunchy little spines. Pleasant mild to medium chili pepper spice to them, could easily be enjoyed by non-pepper heads. Significantly larger than the tiny double layer brisling dines, but little smaller then the big three to a can 'dines. Couldn't really tell how many were in there as they were jammed in super tight into the slimmer taller can.

Cost: $1.29 a can, significantly cheaper then larger boneless skinless Trader Joe sardines which are over $2 a can.

A++ total delicious bargain. Just wish they were a little spicier.

:chef: Dads using recipes ain't no Dads of mine :chef:
Alton Brown's Sherried Sardine Toast w/ Avocado
Spaghetti alla Puttanesca (note this uses anchovies, NOT SARDINES)

TheDon01 posted:

Sardines are dad food because its fish, in a can. The only thing more dad is canned oysters.

Dad's catch from this weekend, there's some lightly fried fish fillets in my future. :dance:

Richardanator posted:

MY girlfriend hates me because I eat sardines. Put that in your OP.

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

:zoid:

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I had sardines on a pizza once. I guess it was a pretty healthy pizza. It was pretty good, but I don't think I will go out of my way to order another pizza with sardines on it. Well bye.

naem
May 29, 2011

Agreed, once a popular working class staple

They have calcium because you eat the bones

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
errbody squeez in

Afro Doug
Aug 10, 2007

i eat sardines almost every day. usually the cheapest kind in tomato sauce, but if i'm feeling fancy i love this stuff - http://www.colestrout.com/allproducts.aspx . it's crazy how good it is.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
I don't think that's how a food chain works. They're probably swimming in mercury. That's a food chain joke for you, you're welcome.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
i'm not a huge fan of really fishy tasting fish, do good sardines taste as fishy as bad sardines?

Jingai Jigokumoto
Feb 8, 2013

by XyloJW

Haam posted:

i'm not a huge fan of really fishy tasting fish, do good sardines taste as fishy as bad sardines?

no. Fresh are way better than canned. Good luck finding those.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Haam posted:

If you ain't diggin' the "fishy" aspect, go for boneless/skinless sardines. They taste exactly like tuna, but they'll set you back a bit north of a Jefferson.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Afro Doug posted:

i eat sardines almost every day. usually the cheapest kind in tomato sauce, but if i'm feeling fancy i love this stuff - http://www.colestrout.com/allproducts.aspx . it's crazy how good it is.

I'm eating some tomato saucers right now. The sauce looks like something out of a public school lunch, but it actually does a nice job with these punk-rear end fishes.

Afro Doug
Aug 10, 2007

FaradayCage posted:

If you ain't diggin' the "fishy" aspect, go for boneless/skinless sardines. They taste exactly like tuna, but they'll set you back a bit north of a Jefferson.
No way. Season brand has fillets and they're a little over three bucks

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
where does ranch dressing place on the food chain and am i morally ok for eating it

if i take something high on the food chain and drench it in something low on the food chain (mayonnaise and franks red, for example) does that even it out?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Fetus Tree posted:

where does ranch dressing place on the food chain and am i morally ok for eating it

if i take something high on the food chain and drench it in something low on the food chain (mayonnaise and franks red, for example) does that even it out?

It does - but you don't get the healthinoids.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Even though the spines can be eaten, I think chewing on them feels disgusting and I'm willing to spend a little extra on sardines that have already been boned.

My brother prefers anchovies. Don't see how anyone can stand those, they taste like lumps of fishy salt.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
The ones in mustard sauce are the best followed by hot sauce.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

One time I tried some sardines with pretzels because they do that in The 'Burbs and it wasn't too bad.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Sardines are alright, not my favorite, but not terrible either. cya

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
I eat lots of sardines. I call 'em "dinis" [DEEN-ees], actually, because that's sort of the point we've arrived at in our relationship. I get Brunswick brand, usually mustard or jalapeņo for snacking, and just in spring water for putting them in other dishes. Anyhow, they're really good for you. If you get some dinis in ya, you'll do okay.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Unguided posted:

Even though the spines can be eaten, I think chewing on them feels disgusting and I'm willing to spend a little extra on sardines that have already been boned.

My brother prefers anchovies. Don't see how anyone can stand those, they taste like lumps of fishy salt.

Dude, you can seriously debone them with a fork if you give it half an effort.

The flesh rips apart at the bisections, and then you just scoot the tongs under and give a little lift.

I ain't eaten those chalky supplements in two years I tell ya hwat.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Unguided posted:

Anchovies are delicious, but they should be used as a seasoning rather than a meal. Your brother is weird.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
I dig sardines. We used to eat them a lot in University for some reason, probably because we were poor.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
How the hell could you eat this poo poo instead of tuna? Nothing beats a tuna steak.

Kung Fu Candy
Oct 28, 2010
I like the Wildplanet brand sardines but haven't tried any other flavor than the spring water ones. Also kippered fish snacks are p. good welp cya

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
brislings you scrubs

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Smelts are also a good fish. You can deep fry them and it's like french fries. Fishy, scaley, french fries, filled with tiny bones.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My disgusting sardines recipe (what i invented myself)

-chop 1 onion and fry in oil until it goes soft
-reduce the heat and add:
- 1 tin sardines
- 1 heaped tablespoon pickled chillies
- 1 big squirt of tomato puree
- salt & pepper

Simmer it until it's all nicely mixed together, adding a splash of water as necessary, then serve with pasta. loving delicious. Sardines rule.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
realtalk if youre white european your ancestors probably ate so much of these thigns that your bodies evloved to require them ore lese you get heart disease and die

so ha ha

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arian_Samurai posted:

Smelts are also a good fish. You can deep fry them and it's like french fries. Fishy, scaley, french fries, filled with tiny bones.

and eggs. dont forget the eggs. best part.

Unguided posted:

a good quality anchovy has a lot of flavor, especially if you give them a rinse first to take off some of the salt. the cheap ones are gross salt bombs though no mistake

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Canned sardines are definitely a dad food. Dads across the nation eat sardines on the days they don't eat braunschweiger.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
haven't eaten a 'deen in years but probably gonna go hit up the store and get some today

thanks op :henget:

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

canned sprats (you can find them in european stores/some asian groceries w/ a euro section) are similar and also tasty imo

use some bread to soak up that tasty oil

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Sardines are great.

Soy & linseed toast, slap some sardines on & cover in tomato slices. Easy clean food.
gently caress your Mcdonnards

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Smoked Herring kippers god tier.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

what about smelts or anchovies?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I buy the sardines packed in water and stir half a Sardine in with my dog's dry food. He goes crazy for the stinky fish.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd recommend trying anchovies on pizza at least once.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Sprats are good and cod livers are so loving delicious it isn't funny.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Arian_Samurai posted:

Canned sardines are definitely a dad food. Dads across the nation eat sardines on the days they don't eat braunschweiger.

Pickled herring is the best dad food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

if you don't eat King Oscar's you're eating lovely sardines sorry

• Locked thread