Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Isn't that like... the entirety of their naval force?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

etalian posted:

Also it's amusing how Russia has to pay a higher yield rate for their 10 year bonds than even Greece.

Hasn't Russia been largely shut out of traditional bond markets though? Like yeah their yields are higher on an absolute level but I'm under the impression they don't rely on borrowing to anything close to the extent Greece was/is.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Michael McFaul once tweeted about going to gently caress City.

ed: what I'm trying to say is that he's an idiot and that his blathering about ~restoring US moral authority~ should be ignored.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Zhirinovskiy is a huge joke that nobody has taken seriously since the 90s, if he was even taken seriously then. This would be like, I dunno, Steve Stockman asking Independent Quebec to invade Ontario while the US picks up Western Canada or something, just completely batshit.

e: here's a nice anti-American rant from him with slightly cleaned up subtitles (he's basically interjecting gently caress a bunch): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExfLOwmSD88
e2: as mentioned above he starts poo poo-talking Condi around 5:30 if you want so skip to that

Swan Oat fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 25, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

rockopete posted:

Doesn't Ukraine still serve as a transit point for a lot of Russian gas headed further west? Why couldn't they just give the finger to Russia and take what they need? iirc they've done this before. Plus it would put the squeeze on Germany and co. to help out more.

Well, Nord Stream is online so Russia could at least partially cut Ukraine out by just pumping gas directly to Germany. I have no idea if that line has the capacity to totally make up for what transits through Ukraine though. Any oil & gas goons have some insight?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I find squatting very uncomfortable, can any Eastern Europeans weigh in on how to do it properly? Should I buy a tracksuit?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

It's hard to tell if he has an accent or if he is enunciating weirdly because he's bleeding from the mouth.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I hope Putin invades the US to destroy SA's servers and also that NATO does not intervene.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

The words of John McMaverick are inspiring to me.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Zombywuf posted:

According to this the Mayor of Kharkiv was the target of sanctions https://twitter.com/russian_market/status/460730423858184192/photo/1

The target of Western sanctions? So he was a Yanukovych/Russian ally?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't any move closer to the west come with horrible IMF austerity? Not to justify Russia's actions here - I just thought Ukraine was going to eat a poo poo sandwich either way.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Why would NATO being in Ukraine mean Russia would have to give up their Crimean bases? (This hypothetical is prior to Russia invading Ukraine)

Are non-NATO countries allowed to have military bases in NATO countries?

e: this is an actual question, not a rhetorical one.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

You must be new to this thread.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I think 99% of posters ITT are being paid off by either Soros or Putin.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Moscow LGBT groups wanted to hold a march commemorating the anniversary of the decriminalization of homosexuality later this month, calling it the Conchita Wurst March of Bearded Women and Men. Moscow authorities did not give them permission to do this, so it sounds like they are going to fold that into the gay pride parade a few days later.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Thompsons posted:

For a $60 fine for each it seems like they spent more money going after them than anything else, plus whatever the venues they were attending lost out on by having them cancel. What possible point was there?

Maybe a trve kvlt rvssian is taking a stand against false metal.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

rockopete posted:

Such thinking is now pervasive in the Russian political establishment but so too is the growing sentiment that the sanctions, mainly visa bans and asset freezes on individuals and companies close to Putin, are having a serious effect.

The thinking may be pervasive because the sanctions primarily affect the political class.

Russia's behavior during the crisis in Ukraine have negatively affected its economy but the sanctions have not really done much overall. Like I don't think even 100 Russians have been hit with sanctions; even in an oligarchy it's hard for something that limited to damage the economy. It's probably hella annoying to the people who have been sanctioned though.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly I am surprised that there wasn't really any significant violence on election day.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I'm seeing reports of hundreds of fighters killed in donbass during operations on the 26th. That's a pretty major escalation, no?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Russia is inscrutable and mysterious. The Russian language, for instance, has separate verbs for "to give a gift" and "to be late". What are the implications of this, both on the Russian Soul and the way in which Russia conducts its international relations?

Please note that any poster who insists that gift is a verb in English will be reported.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

According to Reuters Ukraine has enough gas stockpiled to get them through the summer months so the gas cutoff doesn't have to be a pressing issue unless Ukraine decides to start siphoning gas bought by other European countries.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putin_khuilo!

I would advise screencapping this as soon as possible in case it gets deleted. The talk page especially is hysterical.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any chance that the government in Poland will fall over this, or will it just be a nasty political scandal that will end with the party's massive defeat at the next elections?

e: and I am asking if the government will resign and call early elections, not, like, some kind of coup or civil war :v:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

While "Army Strong" is indeed stupid, it's an adjective phrase, not a statement. "There's strong, and then there's Army Strong".

Content: on Tuesday, I think, ITAR-TASS reported that a DNR spokesperson declared that the DNR and LNR had merged to form a new state of Novorossiya. I was not able to find any quotes from the LNR saying the same thing. I am on a really lovely computer right now so I can't search for the article, but it was definitely on ITAR-TASS if someone wants to track it down. I mean the Russian language site, I have no idea if it was translated and posted to the English section.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

There was a big demonstration in Kiev at Independence Square yesterday demanding an end to the ceasefire and the imposition of martial law on eastern Ukraine. I don't support the separatists but I feel like baying for their blood is not going to be helpful for any sort of peace process to move forward...

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I remember reading earlier that Ukrainian forces were focusing on cutting Luhansk and Donetsk off from the border, that is regaining control of the territory in between the cities and Russia. That is a good idea but also probably the quickest way to piss off Russia. One thing I'm not clear on: are the multilateral negotiations still happening or did ending the ceasefire scuttle peace talks for the time being?

Also:

Mightypeon posted:

If you presented a historical Banderist with the following situation: "Imagine you can shoot a Jew, a Russian or a Pole. However, your rifle only has 2 shots. Who do you shoot?" then this would start a discussion among Banderists concerning which of these groups is more responsible for the sorry state of glorious Ukraine. In the end, they would propably shoot the Russian out of hatred, and the Jew because the Jew was the least likely to shoot back successfully, but it isnt that certain.

Todays Right Sector would shoot the Russian, twice, without hesitation, and then try to mutilate the corpse with the empty rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zUbhwIlGfg

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

There was reportedly a shooting at the Maidan in Kyiv earlier.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

I have to say I'm a little surprised that the Ukrainian military didn't go on a major offensive right after the downing of MH17. I think with the worlds attention squarely focused on the region (after quite some time of the Ukraine conflict being backpage news) the military could have made some gains and the Russians might have been a little too spooked to send in their army lest they look even more like they are solely running the rebellion. It seems like in a few days Ukraine is going to be off the headlines again and the rebels are basically going to be in the same position they were in before the MH17 shootdown. Which is too bad, it seems like the Ukrainians let a good opportunity get away from them.

I am not surprised that Ukraine didn't retaliate for the killing of hundreds of civilians by initiating military operations that would have also killed hundreds of civilians.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

So has it been posted that the separatists turned over control of the bodies? They're all in a train in Donetsk right now with Dutch and OSCE observers. I'm not sure what the holdup is but they're set for departure some time in the AM, to Kharkiv, where the bodies will be transferred to the Dutch and flown to the Netherlands for identification and repatriation. Unfortunately I believe the train is at the same station that was shelled earlier today. The Ukrainian government denied responsibility for any shelling of Donetsk but I believe reports mentioned that pro-Kyiv militias operating in the area could have been behind it, or of course the separatists could be responsible. I hope the train stays safe because holy poo poo that would be grotesque if, after rotting in the sun for four days, the remains are just blown up by violent idiots.

Also the separatists declared a ceasefire in a 10 km radius around the crash site. I am not confident they will be able to adhere to it beyond simply leaving the area. This whole mess has made clear how poorly organized and undisciplined the fighters are, and given how severe the reaction has been I wouldn't be surprised there are multiple fighters who are basically thinking "gently caress this and gently caress my commanders" and just doing whatever they want.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/KeirSimmons/statuses/491488117262917632

Actual good news for once, the bodies are close to being identified and sent home.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

It's about 280 bodies with parts for more. Obviously they might recover more corpses or corpse parts but according to Ukrainian sources and Dutch investigators the train is carrying most of the remains from the flight. There was a major effort yesterday morning to get as many bodies as possible recovered.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

And France is now delivering a warship to Russia. A country which robbed territory of another nation and is waging an unprovoked proxy war which it also started. gently caress France, gently caress Germany, gently caress most of the EU.

Hollande may be considering canceling the sale of the second Mistral

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

There have been consistent demonstrations in Calais where the Russian sailors are being trained for the first Mistral, but it's organized by leftists. Also I believe Le Pen and her FN party have been broadly supportive of Putin, since you know the right wing authoritarians gotta support one another. Of course the MH17 shootdown is a huge game changer but prior to last Thursday you weren't exactly going to peel off racist right wing French people by acting belligerent about Putin.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Well yeah but what I was getting at is that there isn't some previously-existing alliance between idiot xenophobes anti-righters because the FN have been big Putin fans. Like it is difficult for me to imagine the FN suddenly deciding oh yeah Putin and his authoritarian nationalism is bad, support the PS in their effort to stop the sale of the second Mistral. UMP might grow a pair about it but I'd imagine the out and out fascist party will just ignore it or poop out conspiracy theories. This applies broadly across Europe in my opinion.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

^^^ do Polish far-righters feel much about Silesian autonomy?

Persona non grata posted:

Do you know if a particular party is organizing them? The far left communists have generally held an anti-Kiev line. It'd be interesting if there was a split.

Judging from the facebook page I looked at a while ago it was just generic leftists, not necessarily from a party or organization on the left. My impression is that it was just organized from a group of people in Paris as opposed to an actual organization. Important caveat: I am not French and was basically relying on gooogle translate for posts; I don't want to falsely give the expert I am an expert on the French left.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly have a harder time understanding Philips than I did the locals. His Russian is really, really bad.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Considering the investigators had to postpone their trip to the crash site due to intense fighting in the immediate vicinity, the answer to your question is yes we know, and no they have not.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sad that Putin isn't killing Zmey Gorynych, who has three heads. Those VKontakte people need to step up their drat game.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

The N-K dispute along with insane Turkish denial of the genocide have really hurt Armenia's economy too. The only way goods and people can get in or out by land is through Iran or Georgia. And Azerbaijan has been using its oil money to start an arms race that Armenia can't win, which is also loving the economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Igor Strelkov posted:

Azerbaijan's huge materiel advantage didn't help them in the first war. Armenia was going to roll them back to Baku if not for the intervention of Chechnyan and arab jihadis who had lots of experience in Afghanistan.

It's a dictatorship and their army is still a bunch of badly trained conscripts, outside the praetorian guard units. Armenia will be ok.

For clarity's sake, what I was saying is that Armenia is trying to keep up in an arms race that it can't win. I wasn't trying to imply that Baku was ready to whip Armenia in combat, just that the arms race is bad for Armenia's economy since it redirects government spending on stuff that's actually useful.

• Locked thread