Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
And we're back!

Last Season on Whose Line

After a long hiatus, Whose Line is it Anyway was rebooted on the CW last summer for a 12 episode season. Since the original version's cancellation, the crew has tried and tried again to recapture the magic of Whose Line, but now, it's pretty much back. With some exceptions.

The new Whose Line is filmed in the same studio, the set is basically identical, and Colin, Ryan and Wayne are back and in every episode. But we do have a new host, Aisha Tyler, who you might recognize as the voice of Lana on Archer.

It's hard to complain too much about new episodes of Whose Line, but last season did have some issues. In last summer's thread, we got a lot of complaints about Aisha and her role on the show - that she doesn't quite blend in with the cast like Drew did, that the show is missing something without him, etc. Personally, I think she just needs some more time to grow on us, but it's hard to deny that something is missing without Drew.

There were two major problems with last season from my perspective. The first was repetition - so many of the same games were played over and over and over again, to the point that a lot of the humor wore thin. Sideways Scene started as a great new game where the performers act out a skit while lying down. And then it was played every single episode, with basically the same kind of jokes every time. Helping Hands is a really funny, classic game, but again, it was played in well over half of the episodes. With a show so rich with different games, it was hard to see why they couldn't vary some of these episodes up.

Another big problem that a lot of us complained about in the last thread was the use of special guest stars. In addition to the rotating fourth chair, almost every episode last season featured a guest star. It was kind of fun at first, but it got the point where it really interrupted the flow of the show, didn't allow the fourth chair guest any time to shine, and again, generally the same sort of humor was done with the guest every time. Usually they would always play Helping Hands with Ryan and a game of dubbing.

Let's hope that this was mostly an issue of The CW wanting to bring in more viewers for Season 1, and that this problem will cool down this season. That said, from the looks of it, BOTH of tonight's episodes feature both a fourth chair and a guest star. So maybe not.

Season 2 (10)!

But gently caress all this negativity, Whose Line is back! Season 2 premieres tonight at 8:00 est on The CW , and this time we're on for a full 24 episodes! Tonight we have two back to back episodes, the first featuring Kat Graham from The Vampire Diaries and, more importantly, Greg Proops! The second features Olympic figure skater Tara Lipinksi and fourth chair Keegan-Michael Key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
So far, pretty great first episode. The chemistry is MUCH better between Aisha and the guys this time around.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
I'm still not a fan of the guests, I know they cross promote CW shows etc but I think most of the time the show ends up weaker for it.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Oh man, didn't realize this was back until it showed up on my Tivo!

Agree about having fewer guest stars, but Kat Graham in the first episode did a drat good job. If more guest stars were as into the games and as willing to go along with the shenanigans as she was, I wouldn't mind them so much.

Overall, incredibly strong first episode. Great guest star, infomercials was amazing, and SFAH / Party Quirks!

Very solid second episode too. KMK's Cosby was very impressive. Aisha's chemistry with the case was really strong. And SFAH may have been the creepiest I've ever seen Wayne.

"Schpling-dong!"

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I feel like the CW definitely listened to some of the complaints from last year. More in-between banter is shown, and we've already seen a couple games we never got to see from last season. And Greg Proops! :woop:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Tonight's episode started off with a bang. I was red in the face at literally every impression of the suitors.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I'm still honestly laughing over schlliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.............................. Donnnnnng.
I've got a ton of gifs from Season 1, need to get started on 2, but most aren't under 2 megs for imgur, so this is all you get for now. Tell me if you want these removed from this post.

:catdrugs:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't think there was a single part of that episode that I didn't enjoy. Ryan playing a newborn baby trying to find the perfect breast to suck on and then later a fish being reeled in was hilarious :neckbeard:

Sound Effects was great too.

The sight of Verne Troyer will never not horrify me though :ohdear:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Verne was super into it, that was dope. Aisha seems to be gelling with the gang better this season too, so far.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Yeah, that was pretty incredible. Especially Wayne playing an undiscovered tribe

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Well this just snuck right up on me. Enjoying it so far, feels just like it should now with Greg Proops as the fourth. Just keep these five in permanently, bring in your random CW actors as needed, and there we are.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Colin just hitting it out of the park every time he has some air time.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Echoing how motherfucking amazing this episode was. I just can't wait until we get our next burnoose or Captain Hair moment. Come on, runnning jokes!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I had no idea the show was back! Everyone is in great form, but Wayne's singing never ceases to amaze - even if the guest usually just stands there. "I know you got the gold but tonight you get the bronze" :heysexy:

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
This was my favorite bit.

These first few episodes of this season are way more on par with the classics, and it was so refreshing having Greg Proops back on there.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
So I'm kind of confused as to why Ryan was absent from that episode but considering how well it went over I don't really mind.
The sniping between Greg and everyone else was pretty great. Also Darren Criss only appeared for one game!

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Miss Kalle posted:

So I'm kind of confused as to why Ryan was absent from that episode but considering how well it went over I don't really mind.
The sniping between Greg and everyone else was pretty great. Also Darren Criss only appeared for one game!

I love when they start taking cheap shots at each other.

Ryan probably had to take some special time away from the show to a special fitting for some shoes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Macklemore & Jerry Lewis hahahaha

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
drat, that's the first episode Ryan's missed in like 16 seasons of the show, counting all versions of Whose Line. Based on why he never participated in the Sideways game last season, I just hope his back is okay.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
There were a many episodes where Ryan absolutely HATED Irish Drinking Song and Hoedown, which he would just sit down and do nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySdHEezFvXk and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13wEuXLk958

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

This is probably my favourite moment in the whole series. It makes me tear up with laughter every time.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Aisha just had Ryan on her podcast. Haven't listened to it yet. She also had Wayne on in 2012 and that was a good interview.

EDIT: Oh and Colin was apparently the latest exclusive episode.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 9, 2014

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Tonight was a definite classic. The return of Irish drinking song (with great ended by Colin as usual), and that Film/TV/theater styles was killer as well.

If these were filmed chronologically, I see why Ryan was out last week, he still seemed a bit sick, but was funny as hell all the same.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
I was worried they weren't going to have Laura Hall this season, but it was good to see her.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just watched tonight's episode. Ryan's line equating turtles mating to Ed Asner and Betty White loving was hilarious :mmmhmm:

All of Scenes From A Hat was great too.

Greg Proops is the best dressed on this show.

"Jugs, jugs and jugs. You a pottery fan, sir?"

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 12, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
This season is really great so far. Better than the last in just about every way already. My favorite moment has to be Keegan stealing Wayne's Cosby-impression before he could do it and Wayne being visibly upset.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Thanks for this, had nearly forgotten it.

It is hard to believe that this show has been on in one form or another since 1988, and it started on radio.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I almost loving died at John Wayne duck calling. Holy poo poo Ryan has still got it and then some.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Zaggitz posted:

Holy poo poo Ryan has still got it and then some.

"It's like Ed Asner and Betty White or something..."

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Great ep last night, scenes from a hat had me dying when Ryan and Colin's car split in half because neither could decide who was driving.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh dear god the BOING SFaH, I want to know who wrote that one

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I hope they bring back Dead Bodies, I wanna see Colin juggle around 3 limp people around again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

This season is a great improvement on the 1st! Also, they are getting better guest stars it would seem.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Holy poo poo that sumo segment was the funniest thing they've done on this show since the revival started.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Gif time! Let me know if minus is okay.

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011
Finally, Hoedown is back.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, so Ryan doesn't miss a show in all of Whose Line's history but this month he misses 2?!

When this episode started and Aisha said Ryan couldn't be here, I thought it was a rerun from a few weeks ago, but I checked Wiki and nope, new episode with Ryan not in it.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, so Ryan doesn't miss a show in all of Whose Line's history but this month he misses 2?!

When this episode started and Aisha said Ryan couldn't be here, I thought it was a rerun from a few weeks ago, but I checked Wiki and nope, new episode with Ryan not in it.

Both episodes had the same cast, maybe they were filmed on the same day and Ryan just happened to be sick that day?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spalec posted:

Both episodes had the same cast, maybe they were filmed on the same day and Ryan just happened to be sick that day?
Oh yeah, I didn't even think about that. Maybe so!

Unlikely Things Your Proctologist Would Do/Say is loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

'This is the black sheep of the family'

God drat, that line cracked me up.

EDIT - Oh wait, the maple syrup joke was even better.

Octy fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 26, 2014

• Locked thread