Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Tide posted:

(I'm terrible and not funny)

finally something we can all agree on in the current events thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Tide posted:

(I'm terrible and not funny)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tide posted:

If the implication was "work harder", I apologize, that's not my intent. I just meant "the jobs that will pay better than min wage are harder/more difficult than making coffee at starbucks"

But you're quite right: Somewhere in the middle is the truth.

There's some hypocrisy (and luck) there, I'll admit, but it doesn't mean I'm wrong with everything else. I could have paid my way through school with the money I was earning but that went to beer, bongs, and golf along with rent.

So I guess I'll just say THANKS OBAMA.

I worked anywhere from one to three jobs while attending college. My grades were poo poo and I hated every minute of those 4.5 years. I managed to pay off the debts after about 3 years of officer pay (2 of which I had a roommate to save BAH).

I guess what I'm saying is gently caress off.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

psydude posted:

I had my tuition paid for by the government, but even stringing together 20-25 hours a week between 3 above-minimum-wage part time jobs and my ROTC stipend was barely more than enough to pay for rent and food.

What kind of scrub takes a ROTC deal that doesn't include a dorm room and meal plan

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

What kind of scrub takes a ROTC deal that doesn't include a dorm room and meal plan

A lot of schools (read: liberal ones that don't support the military) don't give room and board to ROTC kids.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Snowdens Secret posted:

When I was in ROTC I turned down the scholarship because I didn't want to serve an extra 2 years and I'd already gotten one from my school anyway. I wound up leaving after I realized what an awful financial decision the Guard is if you don't have one.

At least for Army ROTC, reserve/national guard contracts are 6 years drilling/2 years IRR if you're not on a scholarship and 8 years drilling if you do have one. Active duty is 3 active/5 IRR without a scholarship and 4/4 with one.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 20, 2014

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Genocide Tendency posted:

I mean I get that you don't need to be a combat vet to have seen some poo poo in your time. And bad things happen to people. Hell, after getting hit by lightning, I'm not a big fan of finishing the back 9 when the afternoon storms come rolling in. But there comes a point where it is taken too far. Those people are waaaaaaaaay the gently caress past that point.

fuckkkkk, what was that like? Did you get any sweet powers besides pissing your pants whenever someone turns on the microwave?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Tide posted:

There's been reports/studies done that correlate the incredible rise in tuition costs with the ease in which students are able to get student loans to cover it.
Personally, I think they need to limit what course studies that loans will pay for (say, for example, STEM degrees), and I would agree that's probably not really fair - to an extent. Colleges could seriously trim the fat on what majors they offer (eg gender studies....really?).

If lenders make the requirements to obtain a student loan similar to say a car or whatever/so strict (higher credit score, income requirements, etc) then it could be argued that it would block out lower income kids from going to college. Apparently, they can't grasp that they could work while going to school and take a lower course load and graduate in 6 years instead of 4. Or, join the military then go to school on Uncle Sam's dime.

Then the calls of racism would come.

I was lucky enough that my parents paid for college as long as I made good grades AND worked to support myself if I decided to move out. But I took my time (graduated in about 6 years), did well in school, and had a blast.

I can't really imagine why anyone would feel the need to graduate as quick as possible.

You're a moron and should kill yourself.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

RichieHimself posted:

fuckkkkk, what was that like? Did you get any sweet powers besides pissing your pants whenever someone turns on the microwave?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGR6Wk3Kboo

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r95a3p8Os-w :colbert:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Tide posted:

There's been reports/studies done that correlate the incredible rise in tuition costs with the ease in which students are able to get student loans to cover it.
Personally, I think they need to limit what course studies that loans will pay for (say, for example, STEM degrees), and I would agree that's probably not really fair - to an extent. Colleges could seriously trim the fat on what majors they offer (eg gender studies....really?).

If lenders make the requirements to obtain a student loan similar to say a car or whatever/so strict (higher credit score, income requirements, etc) then it could be argued that it would block out lower income kids from going to college. Apparently, they can't grasp that they could work while going to school and take a lower course load and graduate in 6 years instead of 4. Or, join the military then go to school on Uncle Sam's dime.

Then the calls of racism would come.

I was lucky enough that my parents paid for college as long as I made good grades AND worked to support myself if I decided to move out. But I took my time (graduated in about 6 years), did well in school, and had a blast.

I can't really imagine why anyone would feel the need to graduate as quick as possible.

You'd be using 'People can't afford college anymore' as an intermediate mechanism to stymie costs, and as soon as people can afford to go to college more, prices would come back up because you'd lose that mechanism. You'd gently caress with way fewer people by just regulating how many wheelbarrows full of money college administrators can pay themselves per bi-weekly period and poo poo like that.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I've yet to see a good article on why college costs keep going up, especially undergraduate. 100 people in a room that got paid off 70 years ago being taught by some TA making 12 bucks an hour somehow = exponential rise in fees over time assessed to those 100 people. Even in those rare rare classes where you have maybe 12 people facing an actual professor, that professor sure as hell is not taking a significant fraction of that cost.

brains
May 12, 2004

Best Friends posted:

I've yet to see a good article on why college costs keep going up, especially undergraduate. 100 people in a room that got paid off 70 years ago being taught by some TA making 12 bucks an hour somehow = exponential rise in fees over time assessed to those 100 people. Even in those rare rare classes where you have maybe 12 people facing an actual professor, that professor sure as hell is not taking a significant fraction of that cost.

it's because colleges are businesses meant to make money, not teach people. a business needs to continually increase profit, not let it plateau for the sake of some hokey bullshit like the social institution of producing trained and competent people to sustain the economy.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Best Friends posted:

Quite curious about this as well :shobon:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
College prices are going up because demand is going up. More people are going to college; that's why you can't get a job based on your liberal arts degree anymore. It doesn't set you apart. e: actually don't really want to get into :can: territory

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 21, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

brains posted:

it's because colleges are businesses meant to make money, not teach people. a business needs to continually increase profit, not let it plateau for the sake of some hokey bullshit like the social institution of producing trained and competent people to sustain the economy.

People think because schools are 'non-profit' and often public that this isn't true. They don't get what the terms mean, and they're wrong.

E: Mort has the right idea, just read the thing below

This stuff is all pretty extensively documented, I'm on poo poo hotel internet right now and can't collect links but if you're curious I recommend tossing a couple bucks towards:
http://www.amazon.com/Higher-Education-Bubble-Encounter-Broadsides/dp/1594036659

It's not a book, it's less than 60 pages so it's a quick read and goes over this stuff in detail.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Best Friends posted:

Most professors are making less than 3k per semester class. That number has dropped significantly over the past 20 years.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Snowdens Secret posted:

People think because schools are 'non-profit' and often public that this isn't true. They don't get what the terms mean, and they're wrong.

E: Mort has the right idea, just read the thing below

This stuff is all pretty extensively documented, I'm on poo poo hotel internet right now and can't collect links but if you're curious I recommend tossing a couple bucks towards:
http://www.amazon.com/Higher-Education-Bubble-Encounter-Broadsides/dp/1594036659

It's not a book, it's less than 60 pages so it's a quick read and goes over this stuff in detail.

Based on the summary I think this book gets into what I was hesitant to post about before, because it's kind of hot-button, but basically federally guaranteed student loans are a huge driver behind why so many people go to college now. There is no scrutiny over whether or not you will be able to pay your college loans back, because the feds guarantee it will be paid. That drives down interest rates and expands the availability of credit to people who otherwise wouldn't be able to get it, and that means people take out loans to pay for school that they can never pay back. And because so many people are going to school, prices are driven up, so those loans become astronomically huge. A high school student with a middling GPA and SAT scores is extended the same credit to go to a mediocre private liberal arts school to study gender studies that a top-tier student does to get a mechanical engineering degree at a good state university.

The student who takes mechanical engineering at Virginia Tech is a lot more likely to pay those loans back than the gender studies student at Vassar or whatever.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 21, 2014

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

When state schools say "we need tuition to go up" to their legislatures though, and post costs accordingly.

http://www.washington.edu/discover/budget/

http://www.washington.edu/externalaffairs/files/2012/10/12_UW_Tuition_Increase.pdf

If tuition rises are driven purely through supply and demand, as in "we can get more from these fuckers," then State colleges and universities across the country are engaging in literal, actual fraud in saying that their costs are rising. I am skeptical of assuming a widespread criminal conspiracy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's also reduced state funding:

This really isn't the best graph but I'm lazy. Funding for higher education's always been a bit of a soft target so it's been getting killed over the past few decades.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you're wondering why it's not really helping class size / teacher pay (especially for non-tenure / TAs) its because that stuff really does nothing to sell college A over college B. Realistically the number of kids and, perhaps more importantly, the number of parents who really really value the raw quality of education (as opposed to the signalling from having the correct school name on your diploma, which is very different) is pretty small, and the schools they're going to look at are pretty much predetermined. Schools are going to do what they can and need to do to game the US News & World Report ratings but beyond that it's a waste of cash to invest in undergrad academics.

Instead, you see money sunk into what you see on promo videos and college tours - lavish buildings, fancy dorms, new sports facilities, 'world class physical fitness facilities' where you can peep dem yoga pants, etc. which have diddly to do with a student's potential for success post-graduation. Schools can say costs are rising, because without these luxuries they can't meet enrollment targets.

There are a lot of factors to 'reduced state funding' that are mostly numbers games. I know my state school alma mater has roughly doubled undergraduate enrollment even since I went there; even with increases in total state funding, the amount per student has dropped. This only matters if you think all expenses are per-student (they're not) and not total overhead-related. The school did this rather nakedly as a way of bringing in extra money, knowing the difference would come from increased loans the students and their families would have to shoulder.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

RichieHimself posted:

Supposedly it made me smarter to a minor but measurable degree. Which has been undone by multiple concussions since.

Really the only thing interesting about it was I was one of 7 people hit and all of us have a different account of the sensation. That and one dude had his boots blown apart. I mean literally blew them into pieces.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Supposedly it made me smarter to a minor but measurable degree. Which has been undone by multiple concussions since.

Really the only thing interesting about it was I was one of 7 people hit and all of us have a different account of the sensation. That and one dude had his boots blown apart. I mean literally blew them into pieces.

dusted grounded

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

do air ionizers give you PTSD?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There are no effective cost controls while society beats into your head for 18 years that if you don't got to college you'll never be more than a burger flipper

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The only college I know of that does that is the lovely college in my hometown. Not even UMD does that, or at least they didn't when I was shopping around for schools.

e: I tried searching around for some ROI comparisons between undergraduate and graduate. Graduate tuition and debt have also risen substantially, but I'm curious to see the actual value compared to the debt incurred. I have noticed that (in my field) having a master's degree will definitely still make you stand out if you have applicable work experience.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 21, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

go3 posted:

There are no effective cost controls while society beats into your head for 18 years that if you don't got to college you'll never be more than a burger flipper

Perhaps we shouldn't do that then, since it's obviously not helping

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's generally true though. They just usually forget to mention that half the burger flippers did go to college.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It's self-fulfilling, since when everyone is going to college, it makes the few that don't go look like weird defective outliers; combine this with mechanistic filtering by HR department drones or straight up computer algorithm filtering and you're cut before any meaningful eyes see anything else about you. It doesn't mean there's any meaningful requirement for the actual position or that whatever schooling you got has real value-add for it - that's part of how it's become more signaling than anything else, and a fantastically expensive form of it to boot. At best you showed the determination and drive to get through 4+ years of it, but at many schools that's hardly much of an accomplishment, minus the writing of the checks.

Whether that's reversible, I don't know, but there are people trying (via substituting pre-employment standardized testing, expertise-based certificates, etc etc)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Some local SJWs have decided to open a social justice cafe in town. They might have had a shot if it was over by any of the colleges (Well there is a ripoff for-profit school over there with a bunch of unaccredited programs), but it's not so it'll probably crash and burn pretty quickly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Casimir Radon posted:

Some local SJWs have decided to open a social justice cafe in town. They might have had a shot if it was over by any of the colleges (Well there is a ripoff for-profit school over there with a bunch of unaccredited programs), but it's not so it'll probably crash and burn pretty quickly.

Do they have a website

I'm sure its hilarious

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Do they have a website

I'm sure its hilarious
Sort of

Back in January the proprietor of an import store who thought herself pretty forward thinking thought a good way to celebrate MLK day would be to declare a 25% off sale on "everything black". That was until it got blown out of proportion on social media and she got swarmed by SJWs telling her what an awful bitch she was for some reason or another.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Courthouse posted:

Back in world events, the Thai military has unilaterally declared martial law, put troops in the streets, and taken control of tv stations.

So a typical Tuesday in Thailand

Snowdens Secret posted:

This was after an epidemic at the (mostly female) college of men supposedly getting gangraped in the showers by random roving packs of butch femmes.

lol

That feels like something that should be in the latest higher education satire film.

TheOtherGypsy posted:

A lot of schools (read: liberal ones that don't support the military) don't give room and board to ROTC kids.

Hell, Iowa State (pretty far from a bastion of liberal "you're all babykillers" whatever) didn't give room and board to ROTC kids, scholarship or otherwise.

In actual news, Boko Haram has been busy the past couple of days. Also this is from a few days ago but I didn't see it mentioned in the thread, we've been flying MC-12s over Nigeria gathering intel to help in the search for the missing girls, also flew a Global Chicken as well.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

psydude posted:

You're right, it doesn't, but it also doesn't make you qualified to make blanket generalizations about how everyone could pay for college if they just knuckled down and chose to worked at a high paying job that only requires a high school education and also leaves time to complete coursework. I had my tuition paid for by the government, but even stringing together 20-25 hours a week between 3 above-minimum-wage part time jobs and my ROTC stipend was barely more than enough to pay for rent and food.

You're both right, college is too expensive and I still want to punch entitled fucks in the face who decided to take out giant loans to pay for that too expensive history degree and now think the world is unfair because they have to pay those loans.

edit: how the gently caress did a miss a whole page?

quote:

There's more demand then supply (people are competing to get into these schools) and price doesn't effect demand because any 18 year old kid can go out and get loans for just about any amount in order to pay for it.

Its like sub-prime mortgages all over again only this time since you can't have a degree foreclosed from your head so the loans are non-dischargable.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 21, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
And, on top of that, it's the US Government holding the bag when everyone defaults, not the banks (bailouts notwithstanding)

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

tuluk posted:

do air ionizers give you PTSD?

No. But dealing with Payroll gives me flash backs to dealing with Finance who managed to always gently caress up my 1st and 15th. Which is waaaaaaaaay worse.

On the serious side, I don't really have any ill effects that are more severe than all the other crazy poo poo that has happened to me. My heart was more damaged from defibs trying to revive me 3 or 4 times. My brain was more hosed up by all the concussions I have suffered. Drowning in a half frozen lake probably didn't do positive things for my health either. But outside of being a bit more careful when thunderstorms start rolling in, I'm not really bothered by it. I survived the first time, and if you aren't loving retarded, generally you don't get hit twice.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm really amazed at how much press this VA stuff is getting from traditionally administration-friendly sources, considering how the whole thing is basically a ringing condemnation of government-run health care. Even if Shinseki goes, the problems predate him by a good amount, and there's no indication chair-swapping even at the top is going to do squat.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/18/exclusive-v-a-scandal-hits-new-hospital.html

quote:

Veterans with heart problems are waiting an average of four months to see a cardiologist at the Albuquerque VA, according to the doctor there who has access to patient records.

There are eight physicians in the cardiology department. But at any given time, only three are working in the clinic, where they see fewer than two patients per day, so on average there are only 36 veterans seen per week. That means the entire eight-person department sees as many patients in a week as a single private practice cardiologist sees in two days, according to the doctor.

For perspective, 60% of cardiologists reported seeing between 50 and 124 patients per week, according to a 2013 survey of medical professionals’ compensation conducted by Medscape. On the low end, the average single private practice cardiologist who participated in the study saw more patients in a week than the Albuquerque VA’s entire eight-person cardiology department.

In some cases, a long wait to see a doctor is just another routine inconvenience of the sort people expect in a large bureaucracy, but other times it can be a matter of life and death.
A patient whose initial blood test on December 8, 2013 suggested he might have a brain tumor waited until April 28 2014 before he was seen again. Another veteran, diagnosed with gangrene, was referred for surgery so doctors could try to salvage his limb or amputate it if necessary—it’s 36 days after he was initially supposed to see the surgeons and he’s still waiting now.

Clearly the answer is to sign everybody up for that level of care, that way no one will have unrealistic expectations!

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm really amazed at how much press this VA stuff is getting from traditionally administration-friendly sources, considering how the whole thing is basically a ringing condemnation of government-run health care. Even if Shinseki goes, the problems predate him by a good amount, and there's no indication chair-swapping even at the top is going to do squat.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/18/exclusive-v-a-scandal-hits-new-hospital.html

Clearly the answer is to sign everybody up for that level of care, that way no one will have unrealistic expectations!

Whenever GBS (before the massive and long overdue house cleaning) brought up universal health care/government run health care/socialized medicine, I told them it was a terrible idea and would never work.

Shouted down every fuckin time.

Because working in the medical industry doesn't allow me to get a glimpse into how its run. And I am only one person so just because I have read about it/seen it/experienced it doesn't mean its a real problem. And its great health care for every one else but me... And this kind of poo poo doesn't happen. And the same assholes who can't pave loving roads right or balance a budget, or run a covert espionage program with out getting caught are more than capable of setting up a government controlled health care program. And The Affordable Care Act has gone so well...

TLDR, GBS and the D&D fucks that used to run essentially every carebear Communism thread in it are retarded.

I should go troll the gently caress out of their health care threads with this. But :effort:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I wonder if it would make more sense to fold the VA healthcare into the existing ACA/medicaid programs that seem to have a better (but far from perfect) track record and a wider geographic coverage area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The difference there is the VA is an entirely government owned and run healthcare provider while Medicare/ACA stuff deal with the insurance side of the deal. I'm all for universal government run health insurance while keeping the providers, hospitals, clinics, whatever as private entities.

• Locked thread