Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Why the gently caress would he put this poo poo all over twitter instead of getting with a lawyer and a journalist if he wants to get the ~real story~ out.

Did the 23 year old private do something dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Casimir Radon posted:

He's acting concerned that the current administration will get him because that's what "they" do apparently. That's probably some reference to Dinesh D'Souza.

OBONGO WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO PROTECT HIS NEW AGENT

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
It's cool when the person who may have the most factually correct story is also a loving retard.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Why the gently caress would he put this poo poo all over twitter instead of getting with a lawyer and a journalist if he wants to get the ~real story~ out.

Look at that picture of him a few posts up and make a guess.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Dantu posted:

OBONGO WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO PROTECT HIS NEW AGENT

That's basically what it reads like. I'm not discounting his story, by many accounts Bergdahl sounds like a loving moron that deserved what he got, but the timing and choice of venue for his story is odd and you can smell the Obongo permeating from the jump.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Whip Slagcheek posted:

That's basically what it reads like. I'm not discounting his story, by many accounts Bergdahl sounds like a loving moron that deserved what he got, but the timing and choice of venue for his story is odd and you can smell the Obongo permeating from the jump.

Yeah, same. I got the douche-chills just reading what this insufferable manchild wrote.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

*writes a poo poo ton of crap about bergdahl over the course of several hours* I think I should talk to a lawyer!

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I never felt like that about my Iraq deployment buddies, and never thought any of them were like that. Then some of us had a get together at a bar, hadn't seen each other in a long time. Sandy Hook had just happened, and the last thing they all started talking about before we went home for the night was how OBUMMER FAKED A SHOOTIN TO TUK ER GUNNNSSSS.

These were some of the smartest and level headed people I've met (before them saying this)....but god drat it we enlisted are some dumb fucks :negative:

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Mike-o posted:

god drat it we enlisted are some dumb fucks

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mike-o posted:

....but god drat it we enlisted everyone in the military are some dumb fucks :negative:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

anne frank fanfic posted:

Keep posting please who knows when hell delete it all

I copied/pasted the rest of the tweets into my original post. I'm surprised they're still up, honestly.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I don't know about all of that. I don't get an Obummer vibe from him at all. He hasn't made any statements accusing the administration of anything super fishy. He's just stating his observations of a dumb gently caress private that is contrary to the line being fed to the media that he guys is some all American hero patriot.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't know about all of that. I don't get an Obummer vibe from him at all. He hasn't made any statements accusing the administration of anything super fishy. He's just stating his observations of a dumb gently caress private that is contrary to the line being fed to the media that he guys is some all American hero patriot.

well he's a white dude from texas and this is SA

THANKS OBAMA LOL

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Now if you want to talk about a most likely fabricated, Bergdhal-Obummer story from twitter, behold: http://twitchy.com/2014/05/31/working-to-free-all-guantanamo-prisoners-tweet-from-account-of-released-soldiers-father-deleted/

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

ManMythLegend posted:

Now if you want to talk about a most likely fabricated, Bergdhal-Obummer story from twitter, behold: http://twitchy.com/2014/05/31/working-to-free-all-guantanamo-prisoners-tweet-from-account-of-released-soldiers-father-deleted/

That dad does have a suspiciously long beard imo

The pieces are coming together....

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

uhhh...

CodyFNfootball posted:

All politics aside I think we can reasonably agree if you get on the wrong side of the current admin, they can and will strike you down.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

That's not the same thing as saying the Administration is some sort of terrorist sponsoring, America hating, Islamic regime which is the typical Obummer type stance.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

That's not the same thing as saying the Administration is some sort of terrorist sponsoring, America hating, Islamic regime which is the typical Obummer type stance.
He's implying that the administration is going to get him for saying these things, and that doing so is routine for them.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

He's implying that the administration is going to get him for saying these things, and that doing so is routine for them.

Is it really that controversial to think that modern presidential administrations do not take criticism well? I'm pretty sure I could go back and find similar statements for every administration since the internet was invented.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

ManMythLegend posted:

Is it really that controversial to think that modern presidential administrations do not take criticism well? I'm pretty sure I could go back and find similar statements for every administration since the internet was invented.

I'm pretty sure presidential administrations have always not taken criticism well.

They don't respond to it KGB/SS style, but they do tend to be overly sensitive.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Genocide Tendency posted:

I'm pretty sure presidential administrations have always not taken criticism well.

They don't respond to it KGB/SS style, but they do tend to be overly sensitive.

That's exactly my point. The idea that someone is worried about retaliation from an adminstration because they are contradicting their message isn't really freeper madness.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ManMythLegend posted:

That's exactly my point. The idea that someone is worried about retaliation from an adminstration because they are contradicting their message isn't really freeper madness.

Of course, the question here is what kind of retaliation we're talking about.

Being slapped with some sort of troubles with the law? Completely reasonable to expect and I'd honestly be surprised if they don't try something along those lines there's apparently some sort of NDA involved (regardless of how legitimate is actually is).

Being disappeared? That's deep into freeper territory. And whether he meant to or not, the use of the phrase "strike down" sends a connotation much more in line with the second type as opposed to the first.

\/ If he's who he says he is he's more than just some idiot on twitter. \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 1, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

I've yet to hear about this administration or the preceding one go after any idiot from twitter. He sounds like the kind of crybaby who think Dinesh D'Souza was prosecuted for being a critic of the president, and not because he broke campaign finance law.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Is he even really contradicting the administration line, though? I feel like the government has been pretty careful to not really paint him as this all-American hero and more of a "we never leave one of our guys behind," which is still a somewhat understandable response to a deserter.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Has anyone published a who's who of the guys we released to get this idiot back? I can only assume they're relatively high level guys.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Has anyone published a who's who of the guys we released to get this idiot back? I can only assume they're relatively high level guys.
From here

BBC posted:

The five released inmates had all been held at Guantanamo since 2002

Mohammad Fazl served as the Taliban's deputy defence minister during America's military campaign in 2001. Accused of possible war crimes, including the murder of thousands of Shia Muslims.

Khirullah Khairkhwa was a senior Taliban official serving as interior minister and governor of Herat, Afghanistan's third largest city. Alleged to have had direct links to Osama Bin Laden.

Abdul Haq Wasiq was the Taliban's deputy minister of intelligence. Said to have been central in forming alliances with other Islamist groups to fight against US and coalition forces.

Mullah Norullah Noori was a senior Taliban military commander and a governor. Also accused of being involved in the mass killings of Shia Muslims.

Mohammad Nabi Omari held multiple Taliban leadership roles, including chief of security. Alleged to have been involved in attacks against US and coalition forces.

Qatar has made security guarantees about them for what that's worth, the only one that I've been able to find is that they're not allowed to leave Qatar for at least a year. It'd be kind of hard to speculate on what their chances recidivism are, but after 12 years in prison I doubt they'll find themselves back in decision making roles within the Taliban.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Is he even really contradicting the administration line, though? I feel like the government has been pretty careful to not really paint him as this all-American hero and more of a "we never leave one of our guys behind," which is still a somewhat understandable response to a deserter.
He's not really contradicting the administration, just being a paranoid idiot.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 1, 2014

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Whip Slagcheek posted:

quote:

Mohammad Fazl served as the Taliban's deputy defence minister during America's military campaign in 2001. Accused of possible war crimes, including the murder of thousands of Shia Muslims.

Khirullah Khairkhwa was a senior Taliban official serving as interior minister and governor of Herat, Afghanistan's third largest city. Alleged to have had direct links to Osama Bin Laden.

Abdul Haq Wasiq was the Taliban's deputy minister of intelligence. Said to have been central in forming alliances with other Islamist groups to fight against US and coalition forces.

Mullah Norullah Noori was a senior Taliban military commander and a governor. Also accused of being involved in the mass killings of Shia Muslims.

Mohammad Nabi Omari held multiple Taliban leadership roles, including chief of security. Alleged to have been involved in attacks against US and coalition forces.

From the BBC.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NPR has a more thorough bio on each of the prisoners.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
Please tell me we brainwashed them before letting them go? Or at least secretly implanted a radio chip under their skin that we'll use to drone their asses a year from now?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Imagine Marlon Brando in the latter half of The Godfather, that's what these guys are going to be like.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Casimir Radon posted:

I've yet to hear about this administration go after any idiot from twitter.

E: ok youtube but you get the joke

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Who's that?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

^^^The idiot behind The Innocence of Muslims

Snowdens Secret posted:

Idiots wanted to defend him too despite a lengthy criminal history and violation of his probation.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Casimir Radon posted:

^^^The idiot behind The Innocence of Muslims

Idiots wanted to defend him too despite a lengthy criminal history and violation of his probation.

the idiot, is u

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

Being an idiot and lawbreaker and being a political target who was urgently arrested to underscore a narrative the administration was spinning are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

genderstomper58 posted:

the idiot, is u
Then how come the mussulmen don't want to kill me?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

Being an idiot and lawbreaker and being a political target who was urgently arrested to underscore a narrative the administration was spinning are not mutually exclusive concepts.
The probation violation arrest came after it was revealed who was behind it, were they supposed to ignore that information? You'll notice Terry Jones wasn't arrested for his actions.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 2, 2014

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Casimir Radon posted:

Then how come the mussulmen don't want to kill me?

The mudslimes want us all dead.... :twisted:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

He is.

Here, I went through and copied/pasted all of them so far, because it's interesting as gently caress.

edit: Copied/Pasted the rest of the tweets.

Thanks for putting these together, was a pain trying to read them on Twitter.

So it sounds like Bergdahl and 4 other dudes are rotating sleep/post at a position up the hill from the COP. While this guy is standing his watch outside of the post, Bergdahl exits with his own camera and journal but no equipment. If nobody disputes that narrative I don't see how that is anything but desertion, all "suspiciously cerebral" opining aside. (lol at it being suspicious that a boot bought an AK47 and bothered to try learning local languages in his free time. Sad but true.)

Any part of this sound off to anyone?

quote:

If I had to guess B slipped out around 0300-0430 local time. And I think he picked that night because it had the lowest moon lumens

We now know that he knew he would be leaving on the final trip. He just picked the best time to do it.

Having extensive knowledge of the tiny OP and terrain, he knew the dead spots of where we on guard could see and where we couldn't.

My TeamLeader, PLT forward observer, A SGT, myself and a private. Were all tasked to man the bunker on the hill during the last rotation

We all rotated on 3 hour guard rotations. Mine came up at 0500. Bunker was small especially with 5 grown rear end men in it

So I stood up put my plate carrier on and helmet, guy takes my places and goes to sleep. It's still dark, so I out my NODs on

I walk outside the bunker, take a piss and throw in a dip. Walk back in the bunker, do a radio check and begin my guard shift.

Gets boring real quick, so I walk outside the bunker and just kinda stand there looking around for about an hour.

So after an hour of scanning my sector and what not, Roll Call and accounting for sensitive equipment begins.

I'm on guard still in the bunker, so I count heads, guns and radio down saying we are up. I'm not gonna be a dick and wake people up.

I hear 1st Squad give their 100%, then 3rd, still no 2nd squad yet. A scene similar in Ferris Bueller plays out.

Call it whatever you want, at this point I began waking up B and I's TL. Frantically. He woke up and all I said was "he is gone"

He said "gently caress me" and knew who I was talking about. Up to this point I had spoke to a few guys about B.

Always thought something was just a little off. Like mental off, I felt like he thought he life was a movie in his head

And wanted to act it out in real life

(The French Foreign, Beating up drugs dealers, wanting to get lost in mountains and find his way China.) Proves my point.

TL and Me look at each other like what next? I tell him to ask if his gun and kit is still there. We are then summoned to the OPs lower

We start checking his poo poo. Gun, Ammo, Plate carrier, Nods all good. Only things missing are a camera, journal, compass....

An MRE might have been taken too but those things are a dime a dozen and uncountable.

This is all kinda of a WTF moment going around with leadership. Everyone is looking around puzzled. Minus me and TL

We both look at the SL, PL and PSG and say he is "loving gone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I don't know how they would know the camera/compass/journal is gone, unless it was something he had sitting on his table out in the open. I lived with a dude in a trailer for 14 months and I couldn't tell you a single thing he owned (or if it was missing)outside of his laptop.

• Locked thread