Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

orange juche posted:

Doesn't plutonium have the capability to spontaneously ignite for pretty much no reason at all?

No. You see, there's a sizable difference between nuclear physics/chemistry and 'loving magic'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

orange juche posted:

Doesn't plutonium have the capability to spontaneously ignite for pretty much no reason at all?

If by "ignite" you mean release thermal energy as a byproduct of nuclear decay, then yes some isotopes can. For instance the cores used in RTGs for unmanned space probes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium#Power_and_heat_source

Plutonium sources like these are still powering the Voyager probes decades later

You might be thinking of criticality incidents- sudden, spontaneous release of energy when two subcritical pieces of fissile material are physically joined to create a critical mass. No big boom, just a shitload of ionizing radiation. It'll look really cool but you'll be dead inside of a month from viewing it directly at close range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticality_incident

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

orange juche posted:

Spontaneous fission can occur with a reasonable probability within meaningfully observable timescales only in Pu-240; Pu-239 is about 42,000 times less likely to decay by spontaneous fission than Pu-240 in a given length of time (for comparison, U-238 is about 68,000 times less apt to decay by spontaneous fission than Pu-240).

Even then, spontaneous fission doesn't work like the spontaneous combustion of rags soaked with linseed oil - you'll get damage to the crystal structure, not a chain reaction ending in conflagration. Probably.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

No. You see, there's a sizable difference between nuclear physics/chemistry and 'loving magic'

I got it mixed up, bulk plutonium only ignites when heated. Powdered plutonium, and Pu2O3 ignite at ambient temps.

Also, no I do not mean their ability to produce heat, powdered plutonium and Pu2O3 will literally burn.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070428220410/http://www.hss.energy.gov/NuclearSafety/techstds/standard/hdbk1081/hbk1081d.html#ZZ281

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 11, 2014

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

orange juche posted:

I got it mixed up, bulk plutonium only ignites when heated. Powdered plutonium, and Pu2O3 ignite at ambient temps.

Also, no I do not mean their ability to produce heat, powdered plutonium and Pu2O3 will literally burn.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070428220410/http://www.hss.energy.gov/NuclearSafety/techstds/standard/hdbk1081/hbk1081d.html#ZZ281

I see what you meant now. Like AB said, they can fuse and dump radiation like a fat girl after prom, but really, modern safety protocols can make those dangerous situations pretty tame.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orange juche posted:

I'm not a chemistry or nuclear science major but it doesn't seem like the various plutonium oxides are all that amazingly harmful, except for the alpha radiation. Apparently PuO2 is what fuels the modern RTG engines used by NASA.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bolow posted:

The SMAW has had thermobaric warheads for awhile now as well

Also, the M202 did the rocket flamethrower job for a while, when it wasn't being used in Eighties action movies.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I basically never have strong political opinions on anything, even supposedly clear-cut issues like the systematic murder of unborn children or civil rights for gays, but somehow I am 100% on the Israeli government's side here. The few people in that thread actually making arguments instead of dogpiling the IDF dude are pretending like Hamas was a peaceful organization not at all bent on annihilating the Jews until like 5 days ago when an Israeli bomb killed a kid AND THAT CROSSED THE LINE.

e: Even Hamas says that they launched hundreds of missiles at civilian targets (including a nuclear power plant) this week to avenge six militants who died when a literal terrorist tunnel collapsed. DnD is now continues to invent its own propaganda.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 13, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hamas missiles are bullshit firecrackers but at least it gets us nice dystopian videos from weddings and poo poo of the missile shields intercepting them

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Hamas missiles are bullshit firecrackers but at least it gets us nice dystopian videos from weddings and poo poo of the missile shields intercepting them

Pictured: a bullshit firecracker

Obviously the rinkydink Qassams are glorified fireworks but they'll still ruin your day if one hits your house. However, there's also a large amount of 122mm actual military rocketry, with increasing use of 300mm stuff, which is a big step up in range and firepower.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

just because someone shot but missed doesn't mean you don't gently caress them up

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Reverand maynard posted:

just because someone shot but missed doesn't mean you don't gently caress them up

yeah those videos gave me ptsd

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Meanwhile, in Best Korea...

http://www.rodong.rep.kp/en/index.php?strPageID=SF01_02_01&newsID=2014-07-02-0010&chAction=T

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

He has an entire waitstaff following him around?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mad Dragon posted:

He has an entire waitstaff following him around?

The only fat guys in NK who aren't Best Leader, his family, and anyone that he's sticking his stubby penis into are military high command.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I wonder how many of those commanders are photoshopped in?

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

at the date posted:

I basically never have strong political opinions on anything, even supposedly clear-cut issues like the systematic murder of unborn children or civil rights for gays, but somehow I am 100% on the Israeli government's side here. The few people in that thread actually making arguments instead of dogpiling the IDF dude are pretending like Hamas was a peaceful organization not at all bent on annihilating the Jews until like 5 days ago when an Israeli bomb killed a kid AND THAT CROSSED THE LINE.

e: Even Hamas says that they launched hundreds of missiles at civilian targets (including a nuclear power plant) this week to avenge six militants who died when a literal terrorist tunnel collapsed. DnD is now continues to invent its own propaganda.

Israel is looking for an ultimate answer, a final solution, if you will, to the Arab question

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Lazy Reservist posted:

Israel is looking for an ultimate answer, a final solution, if you will, to the Arab question

Hopefully they find one.

The worst part about Munich was when Eric Bana had a heart to heart with the PLO dude instead of just brutally murdering him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Git yur hands outa your pockets scrub!

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
he's actually holding his senior officers to physical standards? mad respect, baby chonger.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Can't we just admit that both Israel and Palestine are terrible loving places and leave them to perpetually kill eachother in peace?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helldump Immunity. posted:

he's actually holding his senior officers to physical standards? mad respect, baby chonger.

i want to see a naked, greased-up General Welsh try to suplex Admiral Greenert in that goofy courtyard the Pentagon has. perhaps also triathlon competitions between O-9s before you get to take over an O-10 slot.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

psydude posted:

Can't we just admit that both Israel and Palestine are terrible loving places and leave them to perpetually kill eachother in peace?

We should just give them a one year free card from external involvement to settle the issue, and promise to pretend that we didn't see whatever happened during that time. May the best Semites win.

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 13, 2014

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Courthouse posted:

We should just give them a one year free card from external involvement to settle the issue, and promise to pretend that we didn't see what happened during that time. May the best Semites win.

You need to give palestinians 3 billion dollars too to even it up. Think of the rad rockets they'd come up if they had that.

EDIT: the interesting thing about iron dome is that the palestinians could put serious financial hurt on isreal by having $100 rockets get shot down by $50k intercepts

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 13, 2014

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I wonder what would happen to Mexico if they took up the habit of lobbing missiles at the US.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Reverand maynard posted:

I wonder what would happen to Mexico if they took up the habit of lobbing missiles at the US.

We'd bring in more laborers to fix the damage.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Reverand maynard posted:

Mexico would be a crater. Israel shows way more restraint than any world power would given a similar situation. Look at Chechnya and how China handles EVERYTHING

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Mexico would be a crater. Israel shows way more restraint than any world power would given a similar situation. Look at Chechnya and how China handles EVERYTHING

I dunno mate they bomb the poo poo out of gaza on the regs

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I dunno mate they bomb the poo poo out of gaza on the regs

Yeah, but the fact Gaza doesn't have cartloads of corpses show up for no reason when there aren't bombs falling and there's no usage of FAEs on -suspected- areas of possible combatants already has them way more "moral" than Russia and China. I'm pretty sure if the US had a similar issue, we'd show no more mercy than those two.

The only reason Israel isn't engaging in WW2 style carpet bombing is they still worry about losing US/NATO support. If it weren't for that, I'm pretty sure Israel's borders would look an awful lot like the Ottoman Empire's by now

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 13, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Booblord Zagats posted:

Frankly if they just went out and did the proper response to these things they'd get way less flak. The "restraint" just encourages them. Its not something they respect.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

The only reason Israel isn't engaging in WW2 style carpet bombing is they still worry about losing US/NATO support. If it weren't for that, I'm pretty sure Israel's borders would look an awful lot like the Ottoman Empire's by now

The Turks might have something to say about that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If canada or mexico started lobbing rockets over the border, you better loving bet that the entire country would be glassed within 36 hours.

The Israelis have the patience of saints when it comes to poo poo like that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

psydude posted:

Moral equivalency in action, also claiming Palestine is an actual place

Booblord Zagats posted:

If it weren't for that, I'm pretty sure Israel's borders would look an awful lot like the Ottoman Empire's by now

All those ultraorthodox Russian immigrants aren't breeding that fast

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Moral equivalency in action, also claiming Palestine is an actual place

I dunno, it'd go along with our current stance of inaction on Sudan, Ukraine, and Syria.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
A different post for a slightly more serious response:

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

You need to give palestinians 3 billion dollars too to even it up. Think of the rad rockets they'd come up if they had that.

EDIT: the interesting thing about iron dome is that the palestinians could put serious financial hurt on isreal by having $100 rockets get shot down by $50k intercepts

Iron Dome was specifically designed to be as economically efficient as possible, by determining the risk class and target of incoming projectiles, only attempting kills at the ones actually aimed at high-value targets, and using the least expensive kill vehicle possible for each case (I think they have three options based on range/altitude.) It's a good bit more sensible than the '91 Iraq War's "hurl a Patriot at everything" system, and is sufficiently more advanced than anything we've got that the US is licensing the tech.

The aid to the Palestinian Authority, Egypt and Jordan added together exceeds what Israel gets. In theory some of the money to Egypt goes to keeping the Suez open but strategically the entire rest of that cash is essentially a bribe to not fight Israel. Nevertheless, quite a bit of it goes to those rockets getting lobbed today, as well as a variety of other weaponry used and intended only for use against Israelis.

Obviously not an unbiased source but worth quoting:
http://pjmedia.com/spengler/2014/07/10/sunny-with-light-missile-cover-here-in-tel-aviv/

quote:

Sunny with light missile cover in Tel Aviv this morning. I awoke to muffled thuds in the distance, Iron Dome shooting down Syrian-made missiles launched from Gaza, according to news reports. I attended the obligatory morning mixer for hotel guests at the bomb shelter, which fortunately lasted only five minutes before the all-clear sounded. ...the thumbnail version is that Hamas is making a demonstration out of weakness. Money is tight, 44,000 Gaza civil servants haven’t been paid for weeks, and the IDF did significant damage to its infrastructure on the West Bank after the kidnapping-murder of the three yeshiva boys. Netanyahu will look indecisive and confused, because he has to deal with an openly hostile U.S. administration on one side and his nationalist camp on the other. Time, though, is on Israel’s side: economically, demographically, strategically. The proportion of Jewish births continues to soar. The fruits of a decade of venture capital investing are ripening into high-valuation companies. And the Arab world is disintegrating all around Israel’s borders.

I have no idea whether the IDF will go into Gaza on the ground, or what they will do if they do so: that’s a tricky cost-benefit calculation, and no-one outside the government has relevant information. But the broader point is that Israel will win a war of attrition. Hamas has shot off hundreds of rockets (including one that landed a few kilometers from me up north in Zichron Yaakov while I had lunch there yesterday) without causing a single injury. Iron Dome has worked brilliantly. Traffic was a bit lighter than normal last night, but there wasn’t a free table at any of the hundred or so cafe terraces on Dizengoff St., Tel Aviv’s main drag.

There will be no Intifada on the West Bank: the Palestinian Arabs are older, more resigned and less inclined to destroy their livelihoods than in 2000. Syria and Iraq continue to disintegrate, Lebanon is inundated with Syrian Sunni refugees (weakening Hezbollah’s relative position), and Jordan is looking to Israel to protect it against ISIS. Egypt is busy trying to survive economically.

Medium-term, the boycott and BDS threat become irrelevant. “Startup nation” is becoming market-cap nation as hundreds of Israeli firms exit the venture capital stage and become profitable, mature enterprises. There’s never been anything like this. India and China beckon with a combined market of 2.5 billion people. To the extent that the Europeans threaten Israel with sanctions, the term “Middle East” gradually will be replaced by “Western Asia.”

[I was interrupted by another brief visit to the bomb shelter, again for five minutes.]

In the short-term, to be sure, Israel must proceed with caution. It is still vulnerable to pressure from the U.S., which provides the bulk of its military hardware, and economic pressure from Europe, which accounts for a third of its trade. Nonetheless, Israel is winning and its adversaries are losing. B’ezrat Hashem Israel will prevail.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Lazy Reservist posted:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I laughed.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Closing out some tabs, this came out while the servers were down:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/22/poland-foreign-minister-alliance-us-worthless

quote:

A Polish news magazine said on Sunday it had obtained a secret recording of Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski, in contention for a senior European Union job, saying that Poland's relationship with the United States was worthless.

The Wprost news magazine said the recording was of a private conversation earlier this year between Sikorski and Jacek Rostowski, a member of parliament with the ruling Civic Platform who until last year was finance minister.

According to a transcript of excerpts of the conversation that was published by Wprost on its Internet site, Sikorski told Rostowski: "You know that the Polish-US alliance isn't worth anything."

"It is downright harmful, because it creates a false sense of security ... Complete bullshit. We'll get in conflict with the Germans, Russians and we'll think that everything is super, because we gave the Americans a blow job. Losers. Complete losers."

According to the transcript, Sikorski described Warsaw's attitude towards the United States using the Polish word "murzynskosc." That derives from the word "murzyn," which denotes a dark-skinned person and someone who does the work for somebody else, according to the PWN Polish language dictionary.

That's apparently not that uncommon a view in recent Poland, or, of course, elsewhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He called America a friend of the family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Godholio posted:

He called America a friend of the family?

I -think- he said Poland was America's friend of the family.

That'd go in line with the 'The Polish are Europe's blacks / Mexicans' opinions that get thrown around a lot over there.

E: quoted from elsewhere:

quote:

In some regards, In my observation, I may be inclined to agree with him. In my opinion (and that of many other Polish Diaspora here in the U.S.), Poland has been used as sort of a ‘shortstop’ in the affairs of the world; covering the holes of necessity when and where they are needed but not really given the equal reciprocation and due respect that should go along with that due credit and respect. Whenever the U.S. needs Poland, then they come, hat in hand full of promises.

[For example,] President Obama clearly stated from the beginning of his term of office, that he would make removing the Visa Waiver program one of his priorities, and, like most of everything else he’s promised, it’s all been hot air and pipe dreams, with absolutely no concrete results whatsoever. Meanwhile, on the surface, for the public display, it’s all smiles and handshakes.

Americans probably don't find themselves saying "poo poo, where are the Poles?" whenever something comes up, but they are pretty active and I can see the perspective from the Polish side being a little different.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 13, 2014

• Locked thread