Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Unsurprisingly, Ukraine's navy is utterly gutted now:

http://www.janes.com/article/35861/ukrainian-navy-decimated-by-russian-move-into-crimea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Considering how they lost so many air assets when that airbase was taken over, too, I'm rather surprised they didn't try to redistribute things to safe locations when it became clear that they weren't likely to hold on to Crimea.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Apparently France is going through with the sale of helicopter destroyers to Russia because they're totally like civilian ships with no military purpose guys!

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20140319/DEFREG01/303190028/French-DM-Cancellation-Carrier-Sale-Russia-an-Extreme-Measure-

Edit: whoops I guess this is actually like a week old; I only just read about it in a Japanese newspaper and thought it was a new development.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I wish I shared some people here's confidence that the US would step in in the case of a Japan-China conflict, but in reality I don't think it's as sure as people hope in every situation. In an open all-or-nothing war between China and Japan the US would almost certainly step in, but there's a whole gradient of conflict where China throws around its weight without the US doing poo poo to stop them.

This is also keeping in mind that we don't know what the political situation will be in the future; for all the poo poo Obama's been getting from right wing media he's clearly not opposed to the use of force when prudent (see his attempts to be more materially involved in Syria), but that's not guaranteed in the future, and a modern military that could serve as a deterrent to China can't necessarily be built up over the course of a couple years.

Of course you'll have a hard time convincing the Japanese people of this; pacifism to a fault has been beaten into the minds of enough of the Japanese population (they even have a specific word for their form of knee-jerk pacifism; 平和ぼけ, heiwa-boke, literally peace-senility) that actually changing the current dynamic will take time and a lot of political capital.

In the meantime it's looking like they're gearing up to likely subsidize their neighbors who are arrayed against China, or if nothing else offer more advanced weapons to regional partners. At least I'm hoping that they have some greater strategic objectives in mind, as opposed to just shilling for their arms industry.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

please don't white knight glorious nippon

I will unironically white samurai grorious Nippon forever

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Full Battle Rattle posted:

According to the movie he was supposed to be the last one, I want my money back.

Actually in all seriousness so many people misinterpret that title. The last samurai are the Japanese dudes Tom Cruise is with; Japanese doesn't have pluralization like English so even when you're talking about multiple samurai you wouldn't say "samurais".

There are some people who know that and are just making a joke, but I've met a number of people who literally thought the title meant Tom Cruise was the last of the samurai.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ded posted:

Caro was pretty brave to go into multiple warzones with only government oversight instead of government support.

I'm not sure that schizophrenics being suicidal counts as bravery.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 13, 2014

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Realtalkin' "Renew Shia/Sunni foreverwar, also conduct wholesale tribalist slaughter" has been on the to-do list of most of the Mideast since the Ottomans fell. I'm still convinced that in the long run that area will go through a lot less pain having had us punch the reset button sooner, rather than let some tinpot dictators run their genocides and bushwars for a few decades more and then have all this poo poo inevitably happen (would've been better in the '90s before Euro was too broke to help, but whatev.)

The only real argument is whether we could've eased Iraq through or even avoided this phase with a long (decades) occupation. The Japs had been doing the tribalist slaughter thing for centuries at least before we showed up and it only took two to three generations of occupation to work that out of their system.

Uh, the Japanese had like 250+ years without any major wars before they were made to open to the west at gunpoint by the Americans. The point of almost every shogunate period Japanese media is how the lack of conflict was transforming the warrior class into largely glorified clerks.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 12, 2014

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Can someone please list all the different Slopes from good to bad from an American perspective.

i.e

Japan
North Korea
Pakistan

Obviously being British, the Wog starts at Calais and my tiny mind can't comprehend a geo-political difference between the gooks and zippers etc.

Pakistan? I don't think Slope covers South and Central Asians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
p sure it originally meant just East Asians, but it probably started being used more broadly, and once that starts it's a slippery hill

• Locked thread