Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I feel like I'm getting a crash course in Realpolitik from Putin, all the events in Ukraine keep making me more cynical and I'm not sure anything would surprise me at this point, especially given his ties to Andropov.

I also found an article that seems to suggest that at least 5 Russian MPs who are openly calling for a return of the Soviet Union via suggesting that Gorbachev be investigated for treason for breaking up the USSR..

quote:

A group of Russian MPs have formally requested prosecutors to investigate former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev for treason over the breakup of the Soviet Union, a lawmaker said on Thursday.

Ivan Nikitchuk, a Communist party deputy, said recent events and the Ukraine crisis in particular have led five MPs, including two from the ruling United Russia party, to ask the prosecutor general, Yury Chaika, to examine Gorbachev, 83.

"We asked to prosecute him and those who helped him destroy the Soviet Union for treason of national interests," said Nikitchuk, adding that Soviet citizens in 1991 were against the country's breakup.

"The consequences of that destruction can be felt today in the conflicts that we have seen," said Nikitchuk.

He added that this included not only Ukraine but other former Soviet countries over the past two decades.

"What is happening in Ukraine can happen in Russia, too," said Nikitchuk. "This pushed us to write to the prosecutor general, so that professional lawyers rather than historians can investigate the events of 1991."

He added that lawmakers were also concerned about internal enemies stirring unrest.

"The fifth column in our country has been formed and works in the open, funded by foreign money," he said.

In a landmark speech marking Russia's takeover of Crimea, President Vladimir Putin called Russians disagreeing with his policies, such as his decision to occupy Crimea, a fifth column.

There have been previous attempts by the Communist party to have Gorbachev prosecuted but these have led nowhere.

Nikitchuk said he hoped that the current political climate makes for a more favourable moment and that prosecutors would launch the investigation this time.

Unlike the previous cases, the current request is backed by lawmakers from the ruling party, United Russia.

I know that five dudes in the Duma aren't a reliable basis for any kind of judgement, but I still find it interesting. I'm so curious what the endpoint of this madness is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The real solution is to exterminate Canada's population and strip it for resources.

Start with Alberta.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

mambo italiano posted:

From what I understand the Kremlin has been selling this conflict on the idea that Ukrainians have been pillaging villages and eating ba babies. The Russian militants think they are protecting themselves. I'm not surprised that the young generations have been posting pictures

So this is what the German invasion of Poland would have looked like if Feldwebel Müller had Facebook?

• Locked thread