Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Courthouse posted:

Venetian separatists planned to storm st Marks square, armed with guns from the albanian mafia and a home made armored tractor/tank. A few dozen arrested and more suspected. Telephone intercepts talk about hundreds of supporters.

Recent unofficial internet polls have indicated that Venetian secessionism has been growing due to the state of the economy, central govt corruption, other parts of the country being moochers, and all that usual stuff.

One of the arrested men is former parliamentarian Franco Rocchetta of Lega Nord.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/02/italy-arrest-veneto-separatists-plot-tank

Before you added the link, I thought the idea of Venetian separatists with a tank was a story a day late, but googled it and got:

Killdozer II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Operation American Spring

lol. Good to see the summer crazy people season is starting early for DC.

I wonder how they're deriving "comprise a tribunal" from "unswerving loyalty to the US Constitution" as the only tribunals in the Constitution are courts answerable to the Supreme Court.
Perhaps they're using a different usage of 'tribunal.'

A French concept, given the name of a movement associated (in the popular mind) with the Muslim Brotherhood - a pedigree the 10 million american spring members can surely get behind.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

/\ /\ /\
e:Huh. Guess I had this window open for a while...

psydude posted:

It tells you that national Republicans are a thoroughly useless bunch when the only platform they can build out of everything the Obama administration has failed to do is one based upon impeaching him for hesitating to use the word "terrorist" and for conducting a prisoner swap in the fashion of that most Sacred Cow, Israel.

No kidding. If only he'd made it happen by selling missiles to al-Qaeda to fund the ISI, he'd be good to go.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Vice (yeah, I know. Shut the gently caress up.) did a pretty cool segment on American support for Israel and showed that a ton of it stems from right wing evangelicals cheerleading the apocalypse, to the point that they're raising more money than AIPAC.

The rest of the support is from older Americans who associate Israel with the plucky underdog fighting for their existence who didn't take no poo poo from the Arab bullies in the '60s and '70s. Now that it's bullies fighting for livingspace, the associations don't match up with those positive archetypes as well.

VVVVV
e: And people who like them as proxies, to kick some post-9/11 mooslim rear end.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 14, 2014

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Gyre posted:

Since I'm a civilian, could someone explain to me why someone who was held by an enemy for 5 years is being returned to active duty after less than 2 months back?

Because he never left active duty. He hasn't been discharged because they're not sure whether he's going to be tried for desertion.

Gyre posted:

This seems a recipe for a mental collapse.

Which is why he's got two babysitters.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

'Active duty' does not mean he's actually doing any military stuff. If you're on med hold (because you're bonkers) you're active duty but that doesn't even necessarily mean you put on a uniform very much.

They do that to the guys they pick up after being deserters for 30 years, supposedly
Yep, you've got to be AD to get court-martialed.

When all the federal and state criminal databases were getting online and widely available in the early-mid 90s we had a 45 year-old private cutting grass for a few weeks. For the 15 years before that he had been a trucker, until he got stopped for a speeding ticket. Apparently back in 1971 he took his CO's GET THE gently caress OFF MY GODDAMNED BASE tirade a bit too literally. We ADSEP'd him.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Not agreeing with a Shim trollpost, but ironically pointing out of that the Brits only called it 'Palestine' as a play off 'Philistine', which in Hebrew as in English means, basically, 'savage'. They did this to troll the Jews who thought they'd get their state there after the Ottomans fell, because the Brit Foreign Office at the time was (shockingly) packed with raging anti-Semites. Either no one told the Arab refugees this until it was too late, or they just didn't care.

Speaking of 'poo poo I learned at the student union' ...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

there is blue bird in my Donetsk that
want to get out
but my Buk is too tough for him,
I say, stay here forever blue bird,
I will no let
you see anyone
again.

there is a blue bird in my Donestsk that
want to get out
but I shoot missile on him and he inhale
Jet A smoke
and the blues and the jews
and the cnn news
never know who
is putin
him
in there.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

And you people defend these monsters

Our internal security forces don't even bother with excuses to shoot our dogs. We're used to it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Wish you were dropped from a balcony.

Impossible. He wouldn't show up until 2 1/2 hours after everyone had left the room.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Courthouse posted:

That is not how that argument goes, and you know that. It's a question of measured and proportional response. If a large man comes at you with a knife and you bash him over the head with a lead pipe, you were justified, if a toddler comes at you with a knife and you do the same it was not justified. Why? Because the toddler, regardless of being armed with the very same knife and burning intent to harm you, simply did not pose that big of an actual threat. You have alternatives and freedom of choice in how you handdle the toddler, you can poke him with the led pipe so he falls over or something.

In the case of Palestine it's quite simple. Israel has the clear upper hand. The jews are not about to be driven into the sea, or anything else justifying desperate measures. Israel has a range of options from do nothing (bad) to nuke gaza (also bad), and in that bag of options they have the privilege to choose which response to take. It seems to many of us that the current response of blowing up hundreds of palestinians for every jew that eats it is neither a measured and justifiable response, nor does it seem to be one that leads to Israel being in a better position after having conducted it.

The Western ideal of proportionality, if it has ever applied in the real world, doesn't apply here.
The Sumerian ideal of an eye for an eye is an anachronism from the mythological past.
This is tribal honor warfare. This is the Chicago way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Courthouse posted:

Except, as I loving said in that part you just quoted, they are failing at both western ideals/samurai honour/whatever and tribal thunderdome warfare. Israel is neither gaining the moral high ground, nor wholesale removing the palestinians. Either they go full out reconciliation, or full on takeover and ouster. loving around in some imaginary middle ground where you kill enough palestinians to ensure they will all hate you and want to launch more rockets, but not enough that you actually stop them from firing said rockets, gets you loving nowhere but deeper into the quagmire.

It's not Last Samurai style Hollywood Honor, either. This is the 'honor' of honor killings. Annihilation and takeover isn't the end state. Debasement and humiliation is the end state. If there's no-one left to be degraded or shamed, you haven't won.

e: To be clear, this applies to both sides.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 31, 2014

• Locked thread