Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Obama Africanus posted:

Those photos.

I take it back, I can't even be an rear end in a top hat here.

:stare:

No poo poo, the pictures definitely took out the euphoria of "Front seat to world war III"

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

I bet not much happens other than a minor show of force.

Crazy rear end John McCain said there would be "Hell to pay" if the russians are involved. "Hell" being probably some insignificant business sanctions.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

suboptimal posted:

Jesus, those pictures :(

Would it be reasonable to assume that the passengers didn't suffer? I'm hoping everyone got knocked out or otherwise had their lights flicked out before they knew what was happening.

It's a long way down from 36000 feet, but for the record that is high enough altitude that assuming your lights didn't get knocked out by the shockwave or sudden pressure change, you'll be out in 30 seconds anyways if you don't have pressurized air. I can only hope the air system failed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Obama Africanus posted:

Yeah, and certain switches were in positions that could only have happened post SRB explosion and a bunch of other poo poo. The challenger guys died a horrible way, and it's why the very useless escape systems were added afterwards- but that was lipstick on a pig. The boys who burnt up over texas went as instantaneously as you can imagine however, at break up the G forces alone weren't compatible with life.

Smeared all over the walls of a space shuttle would be a helluva way to go, almost as good as a nuclear holocaust.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Haha welp no way Russia was involved right? Totally not a Russian SAM system booking it out of town. :rolleyes:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Obama Africanus posted:

Hahaha the Gaza ground assault has begun.

..gently caress.

Holy poo poo shim was right we are all hosed, well and truly. The crazy bastard with the cardboard sign was loving right :stare:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Obama Africanus posted:

You know who I really wouldn't want to be right now?

Edward loving Snowden.

:laffo: way to swing the bat for the wrong team eh snowy?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Obama Africanus posted:

Whip if we wanted a well moderated noise free place to discuss current events on the smartest forum on the internet we wouldn't post in GiP. We'd be autistic internet marxists and gently caress realdolls much to our parents' shame, and post in D&D. Hell, we'd probably masturbate to Scrooge Mcduck slashfic and sniff girls' hair on the train.

But we don't, we post in GiP. Where it's okay to pray for nuclear fire to cleanse the earth of gender fluidity and the matriarchy.

Why are you so firmly against this, it's like you've dug your little piggy hooves into the mud as best as you can to keep comedy from happening on international Tom Clancy Day (7/17/2014 never forget).

In other news, the BBC is still firmly refusing to outright call this a shootdown or terrorist act on their world service. Commentators and outsiders have been allowed to say it, but their broadcasters are very much avoiding calling it a shootdown, and instead a crash or one that "went down or came down."

Is this just journalistic integrity, or foolish at this point? Because cursory searches and research show how obviously this plane was shot down. I get that they can't just run with internet rumor, but wow.

Most of Europe depends on Russian petrol products for heating and industry, so they'd be slow to call Russia on bullshit when the walkin actually gets tough.

Sure it's ok to poo-poo at Russia over possibly assisting in the capture of a spit of land that most of Europe couldn't give a gently caress about, but now there's a bunch of actual real Europeans involved and it is put up or shut up time, Europe decided to shut up.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 18, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BigDave posted:

I guess the big question is, are we going to treat this as a legit 'Woops! Didn't mean to kill 300 people!' cock-up, or are we going to intervene in some way?

Lol if you think the US is gonna do anything except for mutter some vague threats and navel gaze. The US couldn't give two shits about stuff happening outside its borders, especially during a fiscal drawdown and in the middle of us trying to pull out of Afghan so hard that the loving tires are burning smoke.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

FOX News had a graphic saying "shot down by a missile" at 5PM Eastern.

23 Americans on board? That's going to go over well...

You mean 23 Australians?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gleep gloop posted:

:siren: CONFIRMED 506 AMERICANS :siren:

It's the 2/3's compromise all over again, but in reverse.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ian-border.html

Were they flying in a no-fly zone, like the article says?

There's also a pic of a girl mourning the loss of Pilot Parker.

It's the drat daily mail, that's the :foxnews: of british news agencies.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Memento posted:

Updated list of casualties by nationality, from the airline

code:
Nationality   Total
Netherlands         154
Malaysia            45 (including 15 crew)
Australia           27
Indonesia           12
United Kingdom      9
Germany             4
Belgium             4
Philippines         3
Canada              1
Unverified          41
Total               298

Man this whole thing just sucks so bad, I know we are supposed to be vicious babykillers or some poo poo according to D&D but no-one likes seeing civvies die, apparently even the militants, judging from their reactions to investigating the wreckage of the crash.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

On the bright side of it all, maybe we finally have a use for the F-22 other than systematically killing off air force officers.

Heh, how else are they gonna get advanced :pwn:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Middle jet should be an F-35 tia

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

The loving teddybear screaming in the top left is what makes it.

e: Serious question: wouldn't the radar signature for an AN-26 and a 777 be drastically different?

If you're paying attention to the transponder squawk yes, if you go by operating envelope, yes the 777 was approximately 10,000 feet higher than the maximum possible operating altitude of the AN-26, and going about 300km/h faster than an Antonov AN-26, as well as the AN-26 being literally a third of the size.

Unless you are a literal drooling moron, you cannot confuse the two.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 18, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mustang posted:

Wonder if the German public will still think moving away from the US and building stronger ties with Russia is a good idea.

Germany isn't about to hop in bed with Russia any time soon.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mustang posted:

Of course they aren't but that doesn't change the fact that many Germans sympathized with Russian actions against Ukraine, even the annexation of Crimea. Germany has more Russian apologists than any other Western country.

geting back in touch with the '30s lol :godwinning:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Helldump Immunity. posted:

holy poo poo hahahahaha

mods please change my name to cucked by a buk.

tyvm

While I like HDI's current name, cucked by a buk is pretty cool too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

"Or else ve vill be very angry mit you, and ve vill write you a letter telling you how angry ve are."

lol, unfortunately this is the extent of the willpower to do anything about really anything not involving black poo poo coming out of the ground.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Why are people making a big deal about Israel using flechette shells? If the goal is to harm people without destroying the buildings, isnt it the ideal tool? Would they prefer shrapnel over metal darts?

Was there some UN agreement to not use them? We already know they use white phosphorous like its going out of style, I mean someone needs to use up our surplus.
Im not at all familiar with modern rules of engagement so im genuinely curious

The problem with airbursting flechette shells is that they kill indiscriminately, as in there is a high chance to kill something that wasn't exactly what you were aiming at. They're not as bad as a lot of the poo poo we have available that can kill random people, but they're one of the many nasty things that people frown at.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iyaayas01 posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Obama Africanus posted:

Jesus whip, do you got to beat people up while we have you on camera?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Genocide Tendency posted:

I hope to gently caress this probation wasn't simply because Whip can't recognize the genius of Mel Brooks.

:mrapig:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's the only pig I could find. :shrug: Trying to get on whip's case about cop mod brutality.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cole posted:

Sorry bro. I think I'm in love with her though.

PROBATION 07/24/14 04:49pm Cole Trespassing. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours. Whip Slagcheek Whip Slagcheek

oink oink

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Don't you dare post ANYTHING anti-israel!!! Shalom, mother fucker. :jewish:

:happyelf:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Obama Africanus posted:

I understand the last newspaper you read was wrapped around fried cod and some fries, but just because things are confusing for your feeble piggy brain doesn't mean they suck. It just means that your cerebral cortex tastes great with eggs and you can buy it canned at wal-mart.

Sometimes I make a pigs brains and queso blanco omelette for breakfast, I call it the "Whips Polish Pig Brains Cooked Faggoty French Style With Lazy Mexican Cheese That Stole Velveetas American Job"

It's the U.N. of breakfast, and all inclusive. Sort of like a thread about current events should be when there's a new front in the massive conflagration in the Middle East.

Whip, you are the worst mod short of all the other mods. And while vas's extensive collection of children's shoes must be hard for anyone to fill, you are doing an astoundingly bad job at it- And that's with even the most conciliatory of views.

I'd say may god have mercy on you but I'm not cashing in any chips with the big man to save you any trouble. I hope you live to see everything you believe in and care for fail you and leave you for naught.

Good day, pig.

:golfclap: this was a masterfully executed well thought out post, that's how you know shim cares about you whip, that he is willing to put in the effort to make a beautiful post for you.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Too bad it wasn't rip anansi the spider :(

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

you really need to walk down range during a live fire exercise

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

We really need shim back, THANKS FOR NOTHING WHIP.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

Odds that Israel wouldn't be jizzing bombs all over Gaza if Russia wasn't getting all uppity?

None, once they got the taste of killing, they discovered that murdering browns is p good feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Obama Africanus posted:

:rolleyes:

Name one loving ally in the history of ever who hasn't sold technology to the Chinese.

I'm dead goddamn serious. Hell we get in the same game in the U.S. Private companies love blowing off the law and sending poo poo to China they "shouldn't." Welcome to the drawbacks of free and open societies and reliable and cheap lines of international communications and transportation.

Israel is our bulldog on a tenuous leash in the region, and our universal arming of the Middle East has been more destabilizing many times over when compared to the exploits of the Israelis and their quirky modern Gaza problems.

You don't seem to "get" the long arc of anything, let alone the history of American intervention in the region.

The worst loving ally to have in the Middle East is the United States.

Step one in the problem is admitting you have a problem- and in the spirit of that, perhaps we should review the long term security benefits of the Military Sales Jamboree in the region we're having in exchange for short term profits to our MIC, and extremely short lived goodwill from dubiously rational state and non state actors.

But hahahahahaha hahahahaha. I'll drink NyQuil and Boxed wine while building a pillow fort in Vas's basement before we ever have a moment where we question the "common sense" of our middle eastern "strategies" (And I can't put quotes around this hard enough),

No matter what happens, ultimately there are too many people, too many guns, not enough livable land, and not enough water and food. Give poo poo enough time, and one group is going to have to destroy the other as a separate and competitive force. Either this will happen through assimilation of one culture and peoples into the other, or one will become a footnote to history like the Iroquois or say, Sioux.

Human kind hasn't got the best history of assimilation however, particularly when it comes to these plucky motherfuckers on both sides.

In my opinion Our worst "allies" by far are France and Germany. And personally I love those smelly Muslim hating Frogs myself, and I'll never find myself comfortable with the Germans.

Ever.

I'm serious though, if you want a terrible goddamn Ally in the Middle East, the United States is your man. We'll happily arm your people to the teeth, spread about the blackbowder, Chuck a CALCM or Tomahawk, and watch the sands burn while laughing maniacally.

I loving love America.

I missed the gently caress out of you man, welcome back. It's time to clean the D&D out of Current Events.

• Locked thread