Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

hollylolly posted:

I liked this episode. :shrug:

I really liked it too. I just thought the baby thing was interesting to note, didn't expect people to really take me seriously on that. And I was just correcting the other guy, since he seemed to think that only kittens and other animals aren't able to see after birth.

And I did say:

Ravane posted:

I get that this show wouldn't go into that detail, I'm just letting you know that infants are basically blind at birth.

In fact, I was much less concerned about the newborn looking like it did (or being able to see), than I was that Bellamy stuck his finger into the actual baby's mouth. That's just unhealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Really starting to wholeheartedly dig this show. It's keeping my interest far more then say, The Tomorrow People, which I missed an ep a few back and have put off watching online because the only reason I'm still there is to watch Pelegrino chew scenery.

This show, though, this is getting legit good. They are doing exactly what I was hoping they would with focusing more on the adults on The Ark and not just the pretty kids on the ground. And I may be stretching (I totally am), but I've convinced myself that their clean hotness on the ground is a stylistic choice to show how dirty and grimy and used up The Ark is (the clothes, walls, etc). Works for me though.

I like the ambiguity of Kane possibly being not a mustache twirling villain. Same with Bellamy.

My theory on the Grounders is that they are just primitive devolved survivors, but I'm holding out that the people in The Bunker they are trying to get to will be full on still operating remnants of the US govt and military, with like a President and everything. They can be devolved and evil, or they can do the twist and have them be actually cool. Either way that's a story I'd like to see them do. Basically either Thunder Mountain or Valhalla Sector from Jeremiah.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Astroman posted:

I like the ambiguity of Kane possibly being not a mustache twirling villain. Same with Bellamy.

Bellamy is basically the worst leader. Everything is his fault.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Exactly. It looks like they're setting him up for an early redemption arc, though. Once it's done, they'll kill him ("Because we want the audience to know that nobody is safe" says every nowadays show).

I'm sorry this one seems to be going for the very tired love triangle angle. Gah.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Kid with a lot of guilt and a chip on his shoulder is easy to manipulate. And as far as the Ark conspirators care, he's off the ark and dead most likely and can't finger them as who told him to shoot the president. I know they don't call him the president, I'm blanking on the title. :shrug:

I like him as a character, he has a lot of juicy flaws but has managed to start working with Clarke who is clearly the smarter one.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Pilli posted:

I'm sorry this one seems to be going for the very tired love triangle angle. Gah.
Eh, it's on the CW, so I'll allow it for the first season. I get the feeling it might be mandated. I mean, Nikita had one early on and then it got unceremoniously dropped. Arrow had some of that weirdness as well but now they barely focus on it.

At least here Clarke isn't the one central to the affections of two hot young adults, and is in fact the other part of the triangle (with Finn being the focal point of all people). Unless you mean people shipping Clarke x Bellamy, which I don't see yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it (opposites attract, right?).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravane posted:

I really liked it too. I just thought the baby thing was interesting to note, didn't expect people to really take me seriously on that. And I was just correcting the other guy, since he seemed to think that only kittens and other animals aren't able to see after birth.

And I did say:

In fact, I was much less concerned about the newborn looking like it did (or being able to see), than I was that Bellamy stuck his finger into the actual baby's mouth. That's just unhealthy.

People been sticking dirty fingers in babies mouths for eons. My immune system is perfect because of it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

People been sticking dirty fingers in babies mouths for eons. My immune system is perfect because of it.

Infants that drink milk with a bottle get a variety of bacterial flora that helps their immune system. Infants that only drink breast milk have a limited flora in comparison.

Sticking dirty fingers in mouths doesn't improve flora, it just increases the chance of somebody accidentally giving a child a staph infection. Please don't be a parent if you won't use clean hands while handling children. Newborn maternal immunity only lasts a few months and afterwards, you actually need to be careful with your newborn.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravane posted:

Infants that drink milk with a bottle get a variety of bacterial flora that helps their immune system. Infants that only drink breast milk have a limited flora in comparison.

Sticking dirty fingers in mouths doesn't improve flora, it just increases the chance of somebody accidentally giving a child a staph infection. Please don't be a parent if you won't use clean hands while handling children. Newborn maternal immunity only lasts a few months and afterwards, you actually need to be careful with your newborn.

Poppycock. Babies pick up bacteria and cram their hands in their gob every 5mins.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

Poppycock. Babies pick up bacteria and cram their hands in their gob every 5mins.

There's a difference between babies and infants. I'm talking about children under the age of one, children who can't walk or otherwise feed themselves. By the age of two or three, babies generally have heightened immune system that allows for the curiosity of putting objects in their mouths.

But infants don't have that kind of immune system. That's why you vaccinate them after two months. Medical professionals don't even touch adults with unclean hands; that's why newborns are in some of the most sterile environments of the hospital.

I don't know if you're trolling, but you should know why good hygiene is literally the number one way to prevent sickness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hollylolly posted:

Kid with a lot of guilt and a chip on his shoulder is easy to manipulate. And as far as the Ark conspirators care, he's off the ark and dead most likely and can't finger them as who told him to shoot the president. I know they don't call him the president, I'm blanking on the title. :shrug:

I like him as a character, he has a lot of juicy flaws but has managed to start working with Clarke who is clearly the smarter one.

The head of the Ark is the Chancellor.

I think this week's episode did a pretty good job of explaining why Bellamy is so anti-authority. Hiding Octavia basically made his whole life a living hell so the second he's free from authority he's going to grab as much power as possible so he can never be powerless again.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

^^^ I liked it, too, for those reasons. It added complexity to the brother sister relationship which was pretty bland.

Ravane posted:

I don't know if you're trolling, but
loving :laffo:

Sober posted:

Eh, it's on the CW, so I'll allow it for the first season. I get the feeling it might be mandated. I mean, Nikita had one early on and then it got unceremoniously dropped. Arrow had some of that weirdness as well but now they barely focus on it.

At least here Clarke isn't the one central to the affections of two hot young adults, and is in fact the other part of the triangle (with Finn being the focal point of all people). Unless you mean people shipping Clarke x Bellamy, which I don't see yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it (opposites attract, right?).
The funny thing about love triangles and this show is that everyone is so pretty it's almost harder to see nonchemistry than chemistry. Even the Grounder/Octavia stuff is giving everyone Stockholm Syndrome vibes after their brief interaction. I can see how some viewers might have seen the weird awe/admiration look from Bellamy in the scene where the acid burnt guy got mercy-killed by Cliff as the possible start of attraction.

edit: Clark, Cliff, whatever.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Can we stop talking about how to care for babies? I'm pretty sure hiding them under the floorboards (I can only imagine how they guaranteed an infant wouldn't cry during a random inspection :gonk: ) isn't recommended either.

muscles like this? posted:

The head of the Ark is the Chancellor.

I think this week's episode did a pretty good job of explaining why Bellamy is so anti-authority. Hiding Octavia basically made his whole life a living hell so the second he's free from authority he's going to grab as much power as possible so he can never be powerless again.

Thanks :doh: I knew it but couldn't think of the title. And I totally agree on Bellamy...and he and his sister love each other but at the same time hate each other (when they should realize it's their mother's lovely decision that ruined their lives, just like Clarke did). Octavia being a little messed up in the head is being written right too, I think. She wasn't trying to go back to the Grounder at the end, she's just trying to get out from under Bellamy's over protective wing.

Also I thought the Grounder's cave was really interesting. It looked like it was full of old earth artifacts (like in Oblivion[movie]how Tom Cruise's character collected all the books and records and things). Like maybe part of their culture remembers but mostly it's MurderDeath all the time, and he happens to like to hoard interesting things, like girls who fall down hills and hit their heads.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

hollylolly posted:

Also I thought the Grounder's cave was really interesting. It looked like it was full of old earth artifacts (like in Oblivion[movie]how Tom Cruise's character collected all the books and records and things). Like maybe part of their culture remembers but mostly it's MurderDeath all the time, and he happens to like to hoard interesting things, like girls who fall down hills and hit their heads.
"I will chain her up next to my Monster High dolls and the Bratz with the burnt hair."

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I like this show for the most part. But a few things bug me:
Everyone speaks English. Does every country have their own ark?

How did they know how to field dress and clean the animals they killed.I know it's a TV show, but your average people would not know how to do that let alone kids that have been in space their whole life.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

joebuddah posted:

How did they know how to field dress and clean the animals they killed.I know it's a TV show, but your average people would not know how to do that let alone kids that have been in space their whole life.

The entire show from ark to earth is all handwaving. Reality will in no way impede this show.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

joebuddah posted:

The Ark is probably a lashed together amalgamation of commercial space stations that had enough fuel to meet up. The second you could hand wave pretty easily with just having a bunch of books available for reading before they launched during their jail time, it's not like ebooks take up space.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

joebuddah posted:

Remember that it has been 100 years since the ark was boarded. Even if the first humans didn't speak english, they may have all determined that english should be the main language taught in the ark. Minority families may speak their own language at home, but for the most part, everyone's common ground is probably english.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Ark is probably a lashed together amalgamation of commercial space stations that had enough fuel to meet up.

This is probably the best theory for the ark's creation.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Ark is probably a lashed together amalgamation of commercial space stations that had enough fuel to meet up. The second you could hand wave pretty easily with just having a bunch of books available for reading before they launched during their jail time, it's not like ebooks take up space.

The show mentioned the cobbling together of existing space stations in the pilot, I think. Also at least one character (Chancellor's son?) talked about Earth Skills as if it should be capitalized like an elective class.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BarbarousBertha posted:

The show mentioned the cobbling together of existing space stations in the pilot, I think. Also at least one character (Chancellor's son?) talked about Earth Skills as if it should be capitalized like an elective class.

Multiple kids have referred to their Earth Skills classes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azhais posted:

Earth Skills class seemed to omit how to dodge spears

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

etalian posted:

Earth Skills class seemed to omit how to dodge spears

That was covered in the rarely taken "Earth Kills" elective.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it's not really unbelieveable at all that English is the language on the space station due to how it was cobbled together. Remember, English is the official language of aviation and it seems to me that a lot of these stations would have been run by former pilots when things first started.

What I'm not sure I buy is how devolved the 'grounders' appear to be. 100 years can be as few as 3 generations in some instances. It's conceivable that someone alive now may have known someone who was alive before this disaster. It also stands to reason that the only people who survived on the surface were those hunkered down in some government bunker somewhere, so there would have been even less reason for a completely collapse of societal norms.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Azhais posted:

I know. It was also an episode title. I was just trying to phrase it gently, not in a bitchy, "Did you loving even watch the show," way.

bull3964 posted:

What I'm not sure I buy is how devolved the 'grounders' appear to be. 100 years can be as few as 3 generations in some instances. It's conceivable that someone alive now may have known someone who was alive before this disaster. It also stands to reason that the only people who survived on the surface were those hunkered down in some government bunker somewhere, so there would have been even less reason for a completely collapse of societal norms.

I've been asking myself the same question. I'm curious to see how "feral" they really are and if the explanation makes even one lick of sense. Hopefully the grounders will not all speak Spanish or something.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well didn't they land in like rural Virginia or something? Close to DC? Probably got bombed to poo poo, I can't imagine any survivors haven't been hosed to hell by genetic defects and other crap.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DarkCrawler posted:

Well didn't they land in like rural Virginia or something? Close to DC? Probably got bombed to poo poo, I can't imagine any survivors haven't been hosed to hell by genetic defects and other crap.

If there were a theoretical nuclear apocalypse, would there be any country spared. I imagine them to be mostly third world countries. And small islands in oceania. If so, humanity would continue to survive unhindered.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Ravane posted:

If there were a theoretical nuclear apocalypse, would there be any country spared. I imagine them to be mostly third world countries. And small islands in oceania. If so, humanity would continue to survive unhindered.

Or perhaps if the technology exist to maintain a closed ecosystem that sustains thousands of people in orbit there must be populated habitats below ground.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

Mount Weather is in Virginia within 50 miles of DC, yeah. The likelihood of it actually surviving a nuclear attack are nil though because it's a designated relocation site for government officials and the headquarters of FEMA. Having them be survivors of a known but unused bunker like the one under the Greenbrier would work though.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

These kids are so stupid

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
They are now whipping the new black character. Seriously? First black lead gets killed off, the next black character gets pissed on then disappears now they are whipping the new one. This loving bothers me.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 1, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It's a nice touch that Jaha and the other cochief are switching viewpoints because of Wells being definitely dead and the other guy being the primary proponent of culling.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like Kane isn't going to be a villain anymore so they had to introduce a new bad guy.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yea after this I hope all these kids die, they are despicable.

Well except Octavia I guess.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kdrudy posted:

Yea after this I hope all these kids die, they are despicable.

Well except Octavia I guess.

The 100 more like the 24. Tell me where the bomb antidote is!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh poo poo, the Cylons just showed up.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rhyno posted:

Oh poo poo, the Cylons just showed up.

Gaeta really should have warned them.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
I got to dig this show, no matter the amount of nonsense. As for the kids, of course they'll be stupid, that's what kids are. And they have no previous experience in what they're doing right now, they're just going through the trial-and-error process.

I'm mostly drawn in because of the suspense. Then add the camera, the acting, the music, the post-editing, it eventually delivers something of quality.

Also I like how the show has opened itself for future seasons with the ark-people-going-to-earth storyline. Funny how the story is about survival and the show itself also tries to survive from cancellation.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
drat, this was a really great episode. Love the internal politics of the Ark.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
This show is better than it has any right to be.

I mean other than the two episodes with the tweener brat. Although even that paid off with some Bellamy growth (and seeing how utterly he fucks up at trying to emulate his mother).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Not trying to be a shipper or anything, but I do see Clark and Bellamy eventually becoming a thing. The opposites attract thing will eventually play into more of one person swaying to the same ways of thinking as the other. It showed a little bit when Clark encouraged the torturing of the grounder (even though she felt sorry afterwards).

The whole torture segment in general was off putting though. I can't imagine that someone like Raven would jump full throttle into juicing a guy with wires to save someone without batting an eye. I mean hitting him maybe, but electrocution!?

Definitely glad that they redeemed Desmond "Brother" Hume (:lost:) as the big bad on the Ark. Though I feel like the whole scheming bullshit of that new council member is going to be dumb.

• Locked thread