Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I am really keen to see Okada murder the gently caress out of Styles after Styles' promo on Invasion Attack, so I guess they did a drat good job with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Nakamura vs Okada down the line is gonna be awesome.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

ishii vs. kushida for NEVER title and kojima vs. conway for NWA title on the taiwan shows next week

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

A reminder that just about exactly 1 year ago right now this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_YrShl3bw

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Okada is IWGP Heavyweight Champion 1 year today, making it the 7th longest single reign.
By the time he defends it on May 3rd it will be the 5th longest reign at 391 days, beating Hashimoto's 367 day reign and Vader's 374 day reign.
If he beats AJ Styles on May 3rd he will pass Nagata's 392 day reign the next day. Assuming he gets past Styles and holds it until at least Yokohama Arena on May 25th, he will have held it 413 days, beating Muta's 400 day reign and Tanahashi's 404 day reign.
The longest reign ever is Hashimoto's 489 day reign which he will have to stay champion until early July to beat.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Finally watched rest of Invasion Attack, good show though not up to last year's. Losing Devitt blows but I actually dislike the Bullet Club as heels now and want to see Okada club AJ in the face, which I guess is the point.

Surprised Goto&Shibata didn't take the belts.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Listening to today's Observer show, apparently the reason why Devitt hasn't signed with WWE is that TNA is making a major play for him.

I understand going to WWE for the earning potential, but leaving a successful, functional growing company where the workers are happy for TNA would just seem insane no matter what they're paying him. They might not even be around in a few months if WWE goes to Spike and then you're just one of a bunch of ex TNA guys desperately trying to get in to WWE.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
My hope is that he's playing one off the other, and not seriously considering TNA.

Then again, maybe he figured the oath to the IWGP title goes through TNA. Worked for Okada :v:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I can't see any type of contract war between TNA and WWE ending in any other way than WWE laughing at Devitt and telling him to gently caress off.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Thauros posted:

Listening to today's Observer show, apparently the reason why Devitt hasn't signed with WWE is that TNA is making a major play for him.

That's not the way Dave worded it from what I remember. Was it actually said it was "the reason."

July last year was the big Performance Centre/new trainee induction month and Devitt has seemingly lined up his last pre-WWE booking at the end of June about an hour and half away from where he lives in Ireland:

rovert fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 8, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

rovert posted:

That's not the way Dave worded it from what I remember. Was it actually said it was "the reason."

July last year was the big Performance Centre/new trainee induction month and Devitt has seemingly lined up his last pre-WWE booking at the end of June about an hour and half away from where he lives in Ireland:

I may have missed the exact verbiage since I usually don't devote 100% undivided attention to a podcast, but I'm pretty drat sure he brought it up as a factor at the very least. "A reason" would probably be more fair than "the reason" I guess.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Thauros posted:

I may have missed the exact verbiage since I usually don't devote 100% undivided attention to a podcast, but I'm pretty drat sure he brought it up as a factor at the very least. "A reason" would probably be more fair than "the reason" I guess.

Believe me I don't either give my 100% undivided attention especially my first day back in work after Mania. Very sleepy.

Dave did bring it up as a factor as well as New Japan wanting him back too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

masato tatanka posted:

Okada is IWGP Heavyweight Champion 1 year today, making it the 7th longest single reign.
By the time he defends it on May 3rd it will be the 5th longest reign at 391 days, beating Hashimoto's 367 day reign and Vader's 374 day reign.
If he beats AJ Styles on May 3rd he will pass Nagata's 392 day reign the next day. Assuming he gets past Styles and holds it until at least Yokohama Arena on May 25th, he will have held it 413 days, beating Muta's 400 day reign and Tanahashi's 404 day reign.
The longest reign ever is Hashimoto's 489 day reign which he will have to stay champion until early July to beat.

the night before G1 Finals actually.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Finally got around to watching Invasion Attack. Wasn't really a huge fan of the main event till they got to the ending sequence, once they kicked it up a gear it was great. Tanahashi working heel is interesting but it does make it hard for me to get into the match for some reason.

I'm actually most curious to see how these booking changes affect the ROH shows. Is AJ going to be part of the Bullet Club there?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Is AJ going to be part of the Bullet Club there?

Yup:

(shamelessly stolen from Thauros in the wrestling pics thread)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

Finally got around to watching Invasion Attack. Wasn't really a huge fan of the main event till they got to the ending sequence, once they kicked it up a gear it was great. Tanahashi working heel is interesting but it does make it hard for me to get into the match for some reason.

I'm actually most curious to see how these booking changes affect the ROH shows. Is AJ going to be part of the Bullet Club there?

Bullet Club took pictures with him doing their gang poses, so I guess he's in.

Anderson's already been tweeting that he's in charge of the Bullet Club with Bad Luck tweeting his support to Anderson. So AJ is probably going to be used like the Young Bucks, comes over, does poo poo under the BC banner and then reps it on the US indies.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Sorry, I meant to say that yes AJ is in the Bullet Club, but will he be "heel Bullet Club leader" at the ROH shows? Or will he be "respected ROH veteran AJ Styles"?

Actually I just checked ROHwrestling.com and their main image is AJ with the Bullet Club, so I guess that answers that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Sorry, I meant to say that yes AJ is in the Bullet Club, but will he be "heel Bullet Club leader" at the ROH shows? Or will he be "respected ROH veteran AJ Styles"?

Actually I just checked ROHwrestling.com and their main image is AJ with the Bullet Club, so I guess that answers that.

roh posted the pic of him joining the bullet club so i imagine he will

e: you ninja editing btich

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

coconono posted:

Bullet Club took pictures with him doing their gang poses, so I guess he's in.

Anderson's already been tweeting that he's in charge of the Bullet Club with Bad Luck tweeting his support to Anderson. So AJ is probably going to be used like the Young Bucks, comes over, does poo poo under the BC banner and then reps it on the US indies.

Anderson being the new Boss makes he and Gallows retaining the tag belts make a lot more sense to me now, though that could also easily be explained by the fact that Goto is the greatest choke artist since David Carradine.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Jerusalem posted:

Anderson being the new Boss makes he and Gallows retaining the tag belts make a lot more sense to me now, though that could also easily be explained by the fact that Goto is the greatest choke artist since David Carradine.

:sbahj:

Kinda figured Anderson would be the new boss, and pretty happy to hear confirmation that it's so.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I've been watching a bunch of my dvds from the mid-2000's (Chono is still taking up space on the card and Brock Lesnar just showed up, to give you an idea of the time frame) and the transformation Shinsuke's made since then is fuckin remarkable. He was a good wrestler but he was basically the most generic man in the world, like a Japanese version of the "Firstname Lastname wants to win at wrestling" thing we joke about with WWE. It's really impressive how much more entertaining he's become since his early days.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Solomonic posted:

I've been watching a bunch of my dvds from the mid-2000's (Chono is still taking up space on the card and Brock Lesnar just showed up, to give you an idea of the time frame) and the transformation Shinsuke's made since then is fuckin remarkable. He was a good wrestler but he was basically the most generic man in the world, like a Japanese version of the "Firstname Lastname wants to win at wrestling" thing we joke about with WWE. It's really impressive how much more entertaining he's become since his early days.

Funnily enough, his wiki article credits the transformation to Chono. Shinsuke Nakamura: Chono if he could work.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Who would you say is the worst worker to ever be a serious threat in the NJPW title scene since the early 90s, not counting "shootfight" guys like Hashimikov and Sapp? I mean guys who honestly trained to be wrestlers, were brought through the dojo as wrestlers and just sucked poo poo but kept getting major chances?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

nakanishi comes to mind pretty quickly

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

John Cena posted:

nakanishi comes to mind pretty quickly

I thought Nakanishi had improved a bunch by the time he got to the title scene?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I thought Nakanishi had improved a bunch by the time he got to the title scene?

No. No he did not.

Not the IWGP title, but for tag titles, TenCozy keep getting shots and they're loving awful these days. Tenzan especially.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kojima is still good when he's not working some NWA stiff.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Tenzan is working really hurt which is why he's been kinda awful for a while now, dude has major neck problems from what I remember but won't/can't take a break.

EDIT: Was he one of the dudes who dropped out of the G1 last year with injuries or?

Biosys fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 10, 2014

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Biosys posted:

Tenzan is working really hurt which is why he's been kinda awful for a while now, dude has major neck problems from what I remember but won't/can't take a break.

EDIT: Was he one of the dudes who dropped out of the G1 last year with injuries or?

Yeah, I think he cracked a rib.

I'm glad Bigass Moth specified "non-shooter guys" because otherwise Kazuyuki Fujita would sweep this thing forever. Holy christ. He was so bad, and he was constantly in the title picture for a while. Just the absolute worst.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Both Ishii vs. Naito III and Tanahashi vs. Nakamura III were rated ****1/2, pretty accurate IMO.

I was disappointed in seeing empty seats after a good early advance, but Dave actually sees the attendance as a positive and not a negative:

quote:

The show drew 8,500 fans, not a sellout, and there were notable empty seats in the expensive section right in front of the hard camera. But it was only down 500 fans from the October show, and that had an Okada vs. Tanahashi IWGP title match. The fact they did almost as well with an IC title match main event shows how well the promotion has built its No. 2 belt. This was also the third show in five days in Tokyo, and the third time this year that Tanahashi vs. Nakamura have headlined on PPV. It is a sign of an upswing to do this well without the main title at stake, as aside from the King of Pro Wrestling show with Okada vs. Tanahashi, and G-1 finals every year, this was the best paid crowd they’ve had at Sumo Hall since a special show in 2009 that celebrated Masahiro Chono’s 25th anniversary and had Chono & Keiji Muto & Kenta Kobashi as the main event trio.

More buildup to Okada vs. Nakamura that was new to me:

quote:

In more build-up for the slow building Kazuchika Okada vs. Shinsuke Nakamura match, Okada said he was upset with Nakamura for picking Hiroshi Tanahashi as his opponent at Invasion Attack in an interview with Weekly Pro Wrestling this past week. He said he thinks Nakamura is scared of facing him because he’s now the best wrestler in the world, and said their dynamic was very similar to the 90s Keiji Muto vs. Masahiro Chono situation, where they started off as regular tag team partners but ended up as rivals for the top spot.

Who if anyone do you guys see as playing face and heel roles in that matchup? They're both super over tweeners/ultra cool heels/whatever.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 10, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Both Ishii vs. Naito III and Tanahashi vs. Nakamura III were rated ****1/2, pretty accurate IMO.

I was disappointed in seeing empty seats after a good early advance, but Dave actually sees the attendance as a positive and not a negative:

More buildup to Okada vs. Nakamura that was new to me:

Who if anyone do you guys see as playing face and heel roles in that matchup? They're both super over tweeners/ultra cool heels/whatever.

Well, those comments seem pretty drat heelish.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I would assume Nakamura would be the face in that situation, he strikes me as being more believable as the "good" guy than Okada.

That said, based on crowd reaction alone during Ishii/Naito I, I thought that Ishii was a super babyface and Naito a sniveling heel, so... :shrug:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Thauros posted:

Both Ishii vs. Naito III ****1/2

That reminds me, what were the first two Ishii vs. Naito's given?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Nakamura seems pretty firmly babyface considering even Tanahashi was getting booed against him.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

That reminds me, what were the first two Ishii vs. Naito's given?

First was ****3/4, second ****1/4. Not that anyone cares but I'd personally give the first a full 5, the second 4, and agreed on the third.

epitasis posted:

Nakamura seems pretty firmly babyface considering even Tanahashi was getting booed against him.

Tana's worked heel against Okada too though. But yeah, Okada basically has a cool heel gimmick and promos where Shinsuke basically comes off as a face to me based on watching him and reading Yottsume's transcripts.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Jerusalem posted:

I would assume Nakamura would be the face in that situation, he strikes me as being more believable as the "good" guy than Okada.

YEAOH!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Nakamura is the elusive "cool babyface"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

No. No he did not.

Not the IWGP title, but for tag titles, TenCozy keep getting shots and they're loving awful these days. Tenzan especially.

They are perfectly fine and the crowd is into everything they do. Their match on the last iPPV was actually rather good. I may be in the minority but I didn't feel that Jax Dane carried it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

They are perfectly fine and the crowd is into everything they do. Their match on the last iPPV was actually rather good. I may be in the minority but I didn't feel that Jax Dane carried it.

You are right it was Rob Conway and Bruce Tharpe's taunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Tenzan is pretty bad now, but Kojima is still pretty good.

• Locked thread