Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. White/Tony
¥: 33,380 TV Rating: 8.5 Cards in the Deck: 51/52
Edge: 0/4
With The Decker.
"I need it done before then." White says handing the man a credstick with 2k on it. "Do it fast, securely, and thoroughly. Whatever else is on your schedule can wait for a moment I'm sure? Ok get with me at 7."

With the Reporter
"Yeah I've been using Jazz for a while. Here's the way I figure it, it does exactly what its advertised to do. It levels the playing field for the unaugmented, or relatively unaugmented in my case, so that they can have the reflexes they need to survive. Until you get the nuyen to afford some of that cultured bioware or really highgrade wired reflexes, because that poo poo takes alot out of you, you gotta use this stuff, you don't have a choice. The only reason I haven't burned out yet is because how I work, I work from a distance most of the time so I don't need to use it except for short period of time when I gotta be on and provide close support, then I can't afford to be slower than the rest then." White says to the man all of it true and thinking for it. "Drugs are a low cost option for competing with the augmented or enhancing your abilities to their full potential. The cost is simply a gamble with your life every time. Thus far I've been lucky but I've known plenty who haven't, especially Kamikaze users. Right now I'm paying for it with my body and the addiction is kept in check so it hasn't gotten worse. But I can't wait for the day I'll never need the drug again. That said, the people who have no need for jazz are the guys who are always on, the world for them is slow motion. So let me ask you? Which is worse, the rush of the drugs that alter you for a time or being changed forever? I'd like to see your thoughts on that when you finish your article, if I'm still alive after the Challenge. Pleasure to make your acquaintance sir."

White will continue mingling with the other squads, he'll try to see medical during the hour break he has before training after the meet and greet to get more no doze pills.
"I'm gonna be in the field from 4 solid hours and I can't have any weakness. Combat training is going to tire me sooner and I don't want to be caught falling asleep behind my scope, let alone baking the desert sun like that. Hook me up doc please, you gotta have something back there right? Maybe an IV bag or two to have me prehydrated for this cause I get dehydrated fast in a chameleon suit during the heat. Shits hot as gently caress."

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViscerusIgnea
Mar 21, 2014
Franz Talhoffer
Assets: 4500¥
Rating: 9

Franz straightens his tie, and after downing some crepes to suppress the hangover gets to work. He removes the suit jacket, and rolls up his sleeves, exposing the blackened chrome of his arms. Swooping in behind Mr. White, he puts an arm around his shoulders.

"If I could steal you for a moment Herr White? I require some assistance." Franz pushes a set of plates into his hands. "Dont ask questions, just roll with it."

"Ladies unt gentlemen, a little action, I believe is in order. In ze spirit of ze Desert Vars, ve fight for entertainment. So why not have our first shots be in ze spirit of entertainment? I present to you, ze finest in Ares Military Cybertechnology. White, PULL!"

OOC: Going to be shooting plates out of the air. How many shooting tests do you want?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. White/Tony
With Franz at the Meet and Greet.
"Got it Franz. PULL!" White says as he throws a plate up in the air as hard as he can with his augmented strength. And keeps throwing till Franz's thing is done.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 30, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 5480 TV Rating: 7 Cigars: 15 Edge 5/5 Karma: 0

Yea, I'm heavy weapon and demo support. Bein big ain't a loving issue if you don't mind taking a few hits every now and then. The name's Matches. He pauses and lets the man take in his scarred face and blackened and charred arms. This usually precluded any more questions about his name. Any way, let's you and me slip the gently caress out a here and grab us a smoke.

Sneaking a smoke: 6d6t5 0

As Matches and Winger try to slip out, Matches, hearing someone shouting over the general din of the room. When he sees that White fucker start throwing plates he lets out a rather unsteathy What the gently caress are those dumb fucks up to?

ViscerusIgnea
Mar 21, 2014
Franz Talhoffer

"Game on!"

Franz extends the barrels from his knuckles, and takes a well aimed shot at the plate, smiling as it shatters. "Ze finest in Ares technology, precision and grace unmatched by her competitors!"

Aimed Single Shot: 17d6t5 8

"Keep zem coming Herr white! Give me two zis time, let's show off ze full power of zese things!"

Franz sprays a few plates out the air, and for the big finish does one shot blindfolded, viewing the plate through the integrated smartgun camera. Watching as the plates arc into the air, he flexes his arms, and makes punching motions, his arms rapidly pistoning in time with the blasts from his arms. "Speed and power, through superior research! With these arms I can catch a butterfly, crush a stone, or destroy small vehicles!"

Burst Fire at plates - Left Arm: 8d6t5 2
Burst fire at plates - Right Arm: 8d6t5 2

Showboating to the maximum now, Franz takes off his tie, and wraps it around his eyes, obscuring his vision. "And now, Frau unt Fraulein, I vill demonstrate ze superior integrated smartgun technology I am equipped with. With Ares Tech, I don't even need my eyes."

Blindfolded single shot: 10d6t5 8

Grinning, Franz pulls the tie up onto his forehead, showing off for the crowd a little still. "But not only are ve so blatant in our cyberware, oh no..." Franz grabs a plate with a slice of cake on it from a table, and walks back towards White. "Hey White! You hungry? CATCH!"

Cake Toss: 15d6t5 5

ViscerusIgnea fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 30, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. White/Tony
With Franz at the Meet and Greet.
Without skipping a beat, White turns to look at the cake, slides real quick and uppercuts to catch his cake, his cyberspurs deploying to receive it and catch it perfectly in the 3 blades, the cake resting on the front of his hand. He eats the cake, carefully but enjoying it off of his cyberspur before retracting it. "Tasty, send compliments to the chef. What else you got Franz?"

Cake Catch with Cyberspurs: 16d6t5 8

ViscerusIgnea
Mar 21, 2014
Franz Talhoffer

"Ah, my friend, if only I could! But it seems ve are all out of plates!" Franz laughs, and turns to the camera, sticking an arm around White's neck and pulling him in close. "And be sure to catch our trixseries!"

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Nina Walker
TV Ratings: 7.5

Night Before:

Nina looks through more stories of events, but also some of the people who got famous from it. Get some ideas on what to do for the next day. Especially the deckers from earlier games.

Morning:

Nina finds her suit set out for her, trying to get there early to get herself all dressed properly. Between the bunch of them, she hoped to stand out, but the whole event made part of her wish for something a little more her speed. She was, of course, the last one out of the back, barely in time for the speech. She quietly watches the gunplay, thinking to herself that she just hopes she doesn't get shot at.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

You're whisked away into a back room and before you know it there's a tripod camera and a bunch of professional studio lighting and you're in a big, comfortable chair across from the woman who approached you. The woman who swept you back here sits down across from you, smiling and looking at the camera. "Hello and welcome to The Barrage. I'm your host, Jessica Bartless, here with the now-famous Bell 'Casustic Bell' Underhilde, an up-and-coming Ares Macrotechnology Desert Challenge competitor. Bell, I've got a number of questions for you."

Over the next half-hour, she asks you a myriad of questions, including:

"To start off, how would you describe yourself?"

"How is your squad? Any complaints? I understand you're in with fellow dwarf, including one Heinrich Berchtold. How do you think that your relationship with him will shape future portrayals of Dwarf relationships in the trideo medium?"

"What do you want your legacy to be?"

"Do you have any regrets?"

"How is Ares as an employer? How long have you worked for them, and what do you enjoy about working with them? What don't you enjoy?"

"When you have children, what will you tell them about your time here?"

"You've clearly made it. What kind of message do you have for the Stonecutters members out there in the lower rungs? Do you think that your life decisions have been wise ones?"

"Where do you see your career going after this escapade? Something quiet? Do you want to move up in Ares? Move laterally, to some of their military units?"

"How do you feel about your magical abilities? They aren't something many people have. Clearly they give you some kind of advantage, but how far do you think you can get on talent alone?"

Then she dropped this bombshell on you:

"Is it true that you once sabotaged a Tir Tairngire ship carrying relief aid for 20,000 nuyen? Actually, according to my file here, it says that 20,000 was the going rate, but you, and I'm quoting, 'Would do this job for half the pay', and accepted only 10,00 as your fee? Do you have a comment on that?"

As the hour winds down, you feel pretty good with how things get left. If you could say anything, is that Bartless was cold-hearted. But if you could say anything after that, it would be that it wasn't exactly undeserved. You end up back on the media showroom floor at 9:30; most of the crow has cleared out, and they aren't serving crepes any more, but there is still plenty of mingling going on.

Mark a contact, 6 Conn, 1 Loyalty

I expect answers! But quality will result in a Ratings bump, so hey!

At the decker's

The decker rolls his eyes and shoves the credstick back at you. "Look, add another zero and double it, and you'll get to the front of my list. If you aren't going to do that, come back at eight tonight like I told you the first time."

He waits a moment, and then closes the hotel door. You hear the clicking of a deck inside, and it's clear it's not worth pushing.

Reporter

The reporter makes a few notes on a small commlink, and then looks back at you for a passing moment as his cybereyes trace the trideo in front of him. "Thanks for the quote, Tony. I might be in touch again in a while, if that's alright. I'd love a follow-up after a few months in the desert."

He slides you his card. Mark a contact, 3 Conn, 0 Loyalty

Reporters crowd around Franz as he starts to roll his sleeves up, and when the first plate flies into the air you can audibly hear Commander Guetti say, "Oh, Christ!" Even so, the support of the Ares firearms inlaid in Franz' arms fire with precision. The fire rings out over the crowd, and everyone's eyes are instantly on Franz. He shatters plate after plate in the air, and the two of you can see security closing in while you do the cake trick.

As Tony pulls his spurs into place to catch the cake, another sound of gunfire rings out, this one unsilence. Damien Knight is standing on the stage, holding a brand-new Ares Gamma, the replacement they're trying to market for the Ares Alpha, with a grin on his face. He looks Tony over and says, "A few more. I'm paying for all of those, and I'm going to get my money's worth."

As Mr. White tosses plates through the air, Damien Knight picks them off with expert, almost lazy, ease, three at a time, until the magazine's exhausted. Then he grins at the press and quips, "No further questions."

The reporters swarm you two, asking after the Ares brand and its reliability, and their treatment of their employees.

As you head for the door, a reporter catches you and the Winger. "Hey, you're both heavy weapons guys, right? You look like it anyway!"

Then the entire scene with Franz and Tony unfold, bullets digging into the banquet hall, but after it dies down (and security intercedes), the repoter looks back at you. "So you've had a chance to look over all of these prototypes here, right? Any hands-on experience? Would you care to comment on the new stuff?"

Feel free to take some creative freedom here with the guns you tested, bunnielab. If the Gun Pod II's weird shape kicked too much, or the Black Hook really seemed the perfect weight with a full magazine for triggering a pressure sensor, let the reporter know!

Lacking a little sleep but with a working iDeck, you end up at the meet and greet looking more than killer in your fresh suit. On your way to mingle, in fact, two different Bravo company 'bros' try to hit on you. But it's weird and awkward, and soon enough you're at the 'dessert' table, talking to a bunch of Matrix Games (patent pending) reporters. One of them, a younger guy with pimples up and down, scrounges together enough courage to ask, "Is it true that you wrecked a Renraku ringer? I know you bragged about it in your interview, but what kind of ports was that dumbass running to take a hit? What exactly what he doing that you wrecked him?"

Take some creative freedom here, and don't worry about the real computer science behind it. I'd rather a good Chromer story than some hard CS details for the media. On the subject of the 'Night Before', if you're asking for decker details, every 'main base' is going to be running a host, but field teams will just be 'ware and commlinks, maybe a decker.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 30, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. White/Tony
¥: 33,380 TV Rating: 10.5 Cards in the Deck: 51/52

"Ares treats us all good, great pay, great benefits. Let us get away with stunts like what we just did, you're welcome for by the way. Yeah we're starting up a trid series, what was that we talked about last night? CQC stuff right Franz? Anyway let me talk to you about the Ares Desert Strike and the Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot bullets you wanna load in it. I remember this one job, the location don't matter, the person don't matter, all you need to know it was a jungle and it loving sucked. The water, the mud, all that poo poo she's been through it. She shot true at 800 metres and did the job as advertised. And its not even called the Jungle Strike, man I was impressed. I was sure I'd have missed the headshot but no, straight in the heart, through a Class IV Trauma Plate. He went down like he got hit by a brick. In the desert training we've had thus far its performed pretty well. The smartlink system in particular is easy to use and very accurate, no bugs or software errors. I've been using my Desert Strike for the past few years, changing barrels and firing pins after jobs for obvious reasons. Very little if any range time needed to rezero the weapon after such a change. Highly recommend it, especially for a place like this. Its called the Desert Strike for a reason friends. She strikes hard and she strikes true. What else ya'll wanna know!"

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 30, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

QuantumNinja posted:

You walk through the crowd trying to keep to yourself, but it sort of fails when you notice a few reporters with UCAS tattoos. One of them hits you up at the drink table, holding a fresh glass of orange juice. He's got a few service tattoos along his lower arms, and a few more that seem specifically related to Desert Wars. He catches you looking and grins. "Yeah, I got ink put on just covering the games. I've had two camera men shot doing this poo poo, you know? Even the bystanders aren't exactly safe. Where did you serve? How long? How'd you get from Uncle Sam to Uncle Knight?"

Karl Bradford
Rating 7 / Nuyen 24683 / 8 Karma

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616949&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post427111195

(Sigh, almost made it out unscathed!) Karl sizes up the reporter who stopped him. "Name's Bradford. I spent a few years in the sand for the UCAS before honorable discharge, then got recruited into Firewatch. Ares wanted my mix of experience, magic and tech for the special ops teams but I was usually stuck watching some data jockey's back. When the Wars recruitment spot opened I jumped at the opportunity - not that I missed the desert or those fragging camels, but I wanted to get back into the action and figured I should get paid extremely well to do it. One thing led to another, and here I am, ready to rock and roll in the sandbox one more time."

ViscerusIgnea
Mar 21, 2014
Franz Talhoffer

In response to questions about working for Ares

"You want to talk about employee treatment? Ares is by far ze best company to be vorking for. You see zese arms? Zey would be out of mein price range, even if I vere a hotshot guard captain in ze Knight Errant. Herr Knight vas kind enough, upon seeing a vashout from his Firefight program apply to vork at Ares, to supply me vith these arms. And not only zat, he put me straight on ze highest paygrade, so I could vork my way back to independence. Not zat he lords it over me, or threatens me. Nein, I am simply a man who does not like having ze black in mein ledger, especially when it is from a man who has helped me so much. Without Ares charity and confidence, I vould still be a cripple on ze streets of Berlin."

On the questions about Ares equipment

"Statistics do not lie. Shadowrunners, ze criminal underworld. Zey vill go through hell and back to procure Ares equipment, and I do not blame zem. Ever since I was augmented, I've been able to shoot straighter, fight harder, and all without having to rely on expensive skillvires. Not zat a skillvire is a bad thing, but they are limited in scope. And to any mercenary with a validated bank account, and an Ares Military Cyberware Licence, Ask for Scabbard and Longsword. These arms were one-offs, but I will be making inquiries to turn zem into their own line of Cyberware, designed for reinvigorating the lives of combat veterans who have lost limbs. These are not just weapons. These arms represented a whole new life to me, a better life, and that is what Ares sells. A better life."

"Now, myself and Herr White vill take questions. What vould you all like to know?"

ViscerusIgnea fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 30, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 5480 TV Rating: 7 Cigars: 14 Edge 5/4 Karma: 0

For fucks sake, a guy cant even slip out for a fuckin smoke without some gently caress sticking a mic under his nose. Matches sighs, this is gone to be fuckin unavoidable, might as well get it over with.

Dazzling a loving reporter with bullshit.: 14d6h5 6
LOG+Weapon History, Edged

He flashes a broken grin at the reporter and just loving unloads on him with an avalanche of technical info. While all of it is correct and actually pretty insightful stuff, his point is to make the reporter feel dumb as poo poo and hopefully never bother to ask Matches for "a few words" ever again. He spends some time on chrome-lined vs stainless barrels, the merits of caseless ammo and the challenges it presents to a military supply chain. He goes off on a tangent about the Thompson-LaGarde tests back at the beginning of the 20th century and how the lessons learned there were totally forgotten until Murphy and Ling released their seminal work "Terminal Ballistics and the Metahuman Body" in 2035. He spends a good bit of time on one of his favorite topics, High-Low pressure system launchers. Starting with the classic M79 lancher, Matches goes though the history of the grenade launcher, ending with his thoughts on the new Ares Omega.

As the reporter's eyes glaze over, Matches wraps up and with a nod to Wings, finishes with So yea, over fuckin all, Ares new stuff I pretty decent, but I will for fuckin ever maintain that the extended bolt latch on the fuckin Black Hood is an accident waiting to loving happen. Now, if you will excuse me, my college here claims he has this hooker upstairs with a fuckin clit the size of my cigar and brother, this I gotta fuckin see.

And with that, he slips off with Wings.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius
Nuyen: 29030 TV Rating: 8 Armor: 18 Condition: 0/11P 0/11S Edge: 2/3

Darius doesn't have time to feel relieved as he is passed off to the reporter. He also doesn't have time to recover and collect his thoughts...
"Uh...yeah...Wolf...Sorry what was your question? Oh the nickname. Right. Ahh, I'm an adept and I've got a wolf for a totem or a spirit or however you want to call it. It's cool sometimes, other times not so much." He shook his head to remove last night's dream from his head. "Wolf's not so bad though, you gotta be careful what kind of spirit you let inside your dome. Just the other day I saw a shark adept go crazy. Totally lose control" The words came out of his mouth faster than he could think about what he was doing. He gulped nervously.

If the reporter asks what the circumstances were Darius tries to make something up about a street fight. Failure is likely. Otherwise as follows

"But, uh, back to your questions. I worked, uh, animal control for Knight Errant. I would've liked K9 better I could never get transfer approved. I guess they loved me too much where I was at." He snorted and continued "I am, you know, good at what I do though. I'm stronger than an ox and I'm lethal or non-lethal as required with a bow. People always ask if I can do that Robin Hood crap with splitting an arrow in the bulls-eye, so if you're about to - yes. Waste of perfectly good equipment though."

OOC: That's what I figured, thanks

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Nina Walker

Nina quietly makes her way out of the random Bravo Company folks hitting on her, not really in the mood for it. When she hears talking directly to her about her exploits back before this, she gives the best smile she could given her lack of sleep. "Well, it wasn't like he had a port just sitting open that had a big flashing light above it saying "Touch Here To Wreck My Deck". It was like a tug of war, he opened ports to attack, I put up firewalls to screen off his attack. I attacked, he defended. It gave me long enough to find something to latch onto, the way he set his defenses up. He'd leave open a port, probably just to keep me from completely turtling on him. He moved it along as I went, but he did it in a pattern. I had like three seconds each time to make something happen. As soon as I figured out the pattern, it was a piece of cake. Just take those three seconds and.."

She suddenly claps her hands together. "Gave him everything I had. Flooded that one port with everything I had. Was fast enough to keep it open long enough to brick his deck. One of the big rules of decking is never be predictable against someone who can learn. You probably want to write that one down."

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Dozer posted:

"Sup? Name's Dozer. I'm the rigger for Squad Bravo Three. You look like you've done this whole thing before. It's my first time in the challenge, and I was wondering if you had any advice for me, rigger to rigger."

Luckily Birch had a mouth full of bacon when Dozer asked for his advice, because his first instinct was to say "Don't be a trog." But it wouldn't do to upset a fellow teammate, even if he was genetically unsuited to the delicate, cerebral arts of rigging.
"Biofeedback filters. This isn't spying on gangers armed with lead pipes, and you're gonna lose drones. Better your money than your brains." Gods know orks didn't have any to spare.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 2, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The reporters continue to crowd around, and keep their questions up asking everything from your preferred weapons and attack style to how you all got started in the business of "muder for money", as one of the reporters indelicately put it.

Several of them try to pull Franz aside for more questions about his cyberware, too, trying to get more details on the work done in each arm and who actually did it. A lot of them want to know if the 'one-offs' are going to become a mainline Ares products, their price bracket, and what kind of long-term effects cyberharm on a person's humanity. "Berlin, you say? Is this Ares Europe work? Can you give us some more of the technical details? Arm torque, weapon caliber, that stuff? When will they be available?"

A lot of the reporters shy away from Tony, clearly riddled with drugs, but after that performance at least one is interested in the cyberspurs. "Do those hurt when they come out? How long have you had them? Do you find it worthwhile? Do they get used a lot?"

The reporter finishs his orange juice and grabs up another one. He seems persistant, like he isn't going to give up until he gets a real quote. "Yeah, but where'd you serve though? 'A few years in the sand' isn't exactly something I can use as a quote in my report. This seems like a pretty good fit for you, if your time was in some gently caress-off desert somewhere, but could you be more specific? What got you into the UCAS, and where were you stationed? Got any war stories you'd share with a fellow soldier? And tell me a little about your cyberware; it isn't every day I see a mage that's been 'wared up. "

You start to talk about the various details that go into the Ares firearm philosophy, finding that edge of technical know-how buried in your brain and explaining the finer points of things that the reporter's struggling to scribble down: it might be important, but more than that it's coming directly from a Desert Challenge competitor. A few other repoters gather around as you go on and on, and your new friend Winger even throws a few intelligent comments in: he seems to know what's up. The Ares Omega comments seem particularly well-received, and a few of them even laugh about your bolt latch complaints. The comments about the hooker raise some eyebrows, but before another moment passes you're out of dodge with Winger.

As you two ride the elevator up, he grins at you. "You know a shitload about your guns, man. I had a choice, I'd want you as my armorer for the sand. Now there isn't exactly a hooker, but I'd love to hear what you actually think of the new hardware. The Omega looks like it'd make a fun addition to an Ares Venture, maybe some light field work, but I still prefer the big rail guns they stick on the tanks. You ever fired one of those things?"

You end up on a balcony twelve stories up, smoking cigars and shooting the poo poo. Winger even produces a flask of scotch, offering you some. "So how'd you get all tied up in this poo poo? I was dumb enough to talk my way into it, thought it'd be better than living in real tanks in the real front line. Somehow, I convinced myself that getting shot at in wargames would be less scary. I didn't account on red sams on the other end, you know?"

Your story about a street fight is unimpressive, but your nervousness is making some of the reporters hesitate to pursue a further line of questioning. The Robin Hood brag garners some interest, though, and one follows up. "How long have you been using a bow? Where did you learn? And why a bow? What sort of advantages do they give you over normal firearms that really make them preferable? I mean, it isn't like they're exactly faster or anything. Oh, and if you win Desert Wars, do you think Ares will make a line of their own bows?"

One of the reporterts immediately comes in with a follow-up question. "Where did you learn those skills, that level of finesse on a deck? I couldn't find much background on you, so I was wondering if you would fill in some blanks today. And do you have advice to anyone out there getting into your line of work. You seemt o know a lot about all of this, and that sort of expertise has to come from somewhere. Academia? An old console cowboy?"

Dozer gives you another smile as he collects crepes of his own. Between bites, he tries to continue the conversation. "Yeah, biofeedback filters? I hope that'll take care of it, you know? What else? What kind of drones do you think I should get for the desert? Any particularly good ones for the terrain, something to blend in? I'm, you know, worried about my little microdrones getting ripped right up in the sand. I don't mean to sound like such a scrub, man, I'm just nervous, you know?"

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 2, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

QuantumNinja posted:

The reporter finishs his orange juice and grabs up another one. He seems persistant, like he isn't going to give up until he gets a real quote. "Yeah, but where'd you serve though? 'A few years in the sand' isn't exactly something I can use as a quote in my report. This seems like a pretty good fit for you, if your time was in some gently caress-off desert somewhere, but could you be more specific? What got you into the UCAS, and where were you stationed? Got any war stories you'd share with a fellow soldier? And tell me a little about your cyberware; it isn't every day I see a mage that's been 'wared up. "

"Check your history vids, chum. You should be able to find out pretty quickly where the UCAS has had desert conflicts in the last ten years. After all, you are a journalist." Karl chalks that hilarious quip up as a point in his favor. May as well screw around with these guys and have them do their own legwork, right? "As for war stories, most of my service is classified. However, maybe you heard about a UCAS squad taking down a group of Shedhim in the Sahara back in '69? I may or may not have been involved with that dramatic, heroic, potentially-world-saving endeavor." He flashes a somewhat goony smile, trying to look as cool and tough as possible...but, you know...2 charisma, 1 etiquette....

"As for the ware, I needed some augments that magic couldn't provide. I'm not mage though; my ability comes from within and is provided through Bear's will."

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

After getting passed the pleasantries and right into the meat of the interview,
Bell is starting to have second thoughts abouts it, then additional thoughs about fling the trid-camera
whatever right on top of the reporter's head, claiming it was a freak accident.

"To start off, how would you describe yourself?"

"I describe myself as someone making a living and a name for themselves in the
wonderful world of private military contractors! Really, I am a hard-working metahuman
looking forward!"

"How is your squad? Any complaints? I understand you're in with fellow dwarf, including one Heinrich Berchtold. How do you think that your relationship with him will shape future portrayals of Dwarf relationships in the trideo medium?"

"Oh, we seem to be excellent working well." Especially when those yahoos work without a safety net
Innovative and always seem to be several steps ahead." Walking off a cliff or boat With Heinrich Berchtold, well, like any other relationship regarding media. Get yourself an agent.

"What do you want your legacy to be?"

"Do you have any regrets?"

"Regrets? Why waste time with regrets when you can take the bull by its horns to sieze the day?"

"How is Ares as an employer? How long have you worked for them, and what do you enjoy about working with them? What don't you enjoy?"

"I have been working for Ares for several months. They are pretty good and the thing I like about them
that they strive to reward those that achieve success and punish those who don't with failures. A refreshing
change from other corporations that seem to change their policies day by day based on whim."

"When you have children, what will you tell them about your time here?"

"That desert and dessert are two different words."

"You've clearly made it. What kind of message do you have for the Stonecutters members out there in the lower rungs? Do you think that your life decisions have been wise ones?"

"Where do you see your career going after this escapade? Something quiet? Do you want to move up in Ares? Move laterally, to some of their military units?"

"You can't say you have made it till you cross the the finish line, otherwise you will probably have your legs blown off, your head decapitated, and [insert other gruesome comments when you dance around with demolitions in an attempt to make the interviewer sick to see what she got.] Otherwise," Bell flashes a cheerful smile, "and this is for the Stonecutters out there, you have to be sociable and never be stuck in a rut."

"How do you feel about your magical abilities? They aren't something many people have. Clearly they give you some kind of advantage, but how far do you think you can get on talent alone?"

"I feel that I can always be learning more about the wonderful world of magic and that I'm lucky to have them. However, I never got by on talent alone because you have to show your face to people and be able to socialize with them.

"Is it true that you once sabotaged a Tir Tairngire ship carrying relief aid for 20,000 nuyen? Actually, according to my file here, it says that 20,000 was the going rate, but you, and I'm quoting, 'Would do this job for half the pay', and accepted only 10,00 as your fee? Do you have a comment on that?"

Bell coughs slightly, "I'm not going to say I'm going to be honest because it is a cop-out but I have always been an equal opportunity contractor based off of species when it comes to the matter of blowing stuff. Also, I underbidded cause I needed the job at the time. Bad mistake, I barely broke out even."

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Birch
Rating: 7.5
HC: 9/9
SC: 9/9

Dozer posted:

"Yeah, biofeedback filters? I hope that'll take care of it, you know? What else? What kind of drones do you think I should get for the desert? Any particularly good ones for the terrain, something to blend in? I'm, you know, worried about my little microdrones getting ripped right up in the sand. I don't mean to sound like such a scrub, man, I'm just nervous, you know?"

Ugh. These orks do go on don't they? "You can't ever really get away from the risks of dumpshock, and the primary defense is to just not get hit. And drones? Since you got nothing but micro-drones I'm guessing surveillance. Which means you want a Lockheed Optic-X. Or, if you really hate your wallet", Birch lowered his voice and looked around conspiratorially,"one of those old ES pets. They're a dickens to find, and expensive as all hell, but if you can get ahold of one it's pretty much undetectable as a spy drone out in the desert. Or if you want something with firepower, the good old Black Knight is an Ares Desert Wars staple. I'm sure us riggers will get to take a few out for a stroll before all is said and done."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. White/Tony
¥: 33,380 TV Rating: 10.5 Cards in the Deck: 51/52

"My cyber spurs incorporate a sort of internal "sheath" that guide the spurs coming out. It prevents any potential internal damage that would inevitably occur along the wound track like cut blood vessels or muscle tissue until the spurs exit the body. Then it hurts but its sharp and quick, most importantly temporary. I like it, the pain brings you back to focus immediately. Its absolutely worthwhile to have something like this, you can never be disarmed when your armaments are within you. These were one of my first implants, I've had them since I was a teenager running with The Ancients. And they get used often enough that I've become very proficient with them. I either operate real close or very far away. Close in, I like to use shotguns but if I run out of ammo or if the opportunity presents itself these do in a pinch and are more effective against a single target then the shotgun I was blasting off with the way I've been augmented more recently. Very powerful, good option to have in the toolbox."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Nina Walker

Nina tries to pass the question off as nothing. "You'll have to ask the PR rep, I was told to keep it hush. Keeps people guessing, makes the competition unable to study my style too much. You know how it is with this kind of gig, they're looking to make creds. When it comes to my past, I just say what they let me."

Nina pauses for a moment to think. "As for anyone who wants to be here? Only do it if you really want it. This isn't a part-time thing. You have to live the life, you have to see the world as both reality and AR, and that takes practice. Lots and lots of practice. It's not for the faint of heart."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The Media Meet and Greet winds on for another two hours or so, to the point that much of the media wanders out to other events going on as the morning progresses. By 11 o'clock, a few of the higher-ranking Desert Wars soldiers have been pulled away into private interviews or otherwise occupied with preparations, and you are all pretty much left unharrassed. The buffet has been thoroughly cleared out, but two hours' downtime until the afternoon training session was a welcome break. Guetti stopped by during the morning to chew out Mr. White and Franz for their stunt, but concluded that it was probably worth the ratings. Someone else asked Nina for a signature on a new Apple MacDeck II, a chrome number with mostly stock parts, and several other reporters asked several questions about everyone else. It was exhausting, but overall it seemed to pan out well: Ares put on a good show, and many of the soldiers got to know each other.

This concludes the Media Meet and Greet. Everyone make up and mark down two Ares Desert Wars soldiers you met. They can be Alpha, Bravo, or Charlie company. Each has 1d4 connection (use Orokos), loyalty 1. You've got time to do anything before the afternoon training session, which will involve some small arms practice and other stuff. For Ratings:

Bell: +3 for an extensive interview that's going to get play everywhere.

Birch: +2 for eating food and answering a few rigger questions off-screen.

Darius: +2 for the arrow line.

Franz: +4 for plate shooting / interview

Karl: +2 for interviews with evasive answers

Matches: +4 for the history lesson and knowledge about the Ares arms

Nina: +2 for wowwing matrix nerds

Tony: +2 for plate shooting / interview

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 4, 2014

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius
Nuyen: 29030 TV Rating: 10 Armor: 18 Condition: 0/11P 0/11S Edge: 2/3

Reporter: "How long have you been using a bow? Where did you learn? And why a bow? What sort of advantages do they give you over normal firearms that really make them preferable? I mean, it isn't like they're exactly faster or anything. Oh, and if you win Desert Wars, do you think Ares will make a line of their own bows?"

"I actually learned them when I entered the unit at Knight Errant. I know, you probably thought I'd been using them all my life after the Robin Hood remark. Some things are just a part of you, you know it from the first time you do them."

Darius stares off into space for a moment after this; as if looking at something far away, something he loved. Suddenly he shakes his head and continues: "Anyway, to answer your questions: About six years now, originally it was crossbow from one of my squadmates, and because - no offense to Parashield, some of their other products are great - sometimes their darts just don't penetrate. In my line of work we just can't take chances like that. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a happy medium - I'm never happy when I have to hurt one - but it is a balance. I have to make sure they go down, but they're more likely to survive than if we were to fill them with lead. As far as advantages: aside from being excellent delivery systems vs armored targets, they can be quiet. Quiet like no silencer is ever going to be. Honestly I just like the feel of it though. When that arrow hits home, I know that I put it there. And I take responsibility for that. One way or another."

Darius pauses for a moment looking self-satisfied and finished. After waiting for him to continue the reporter simply asks the question again: "So if you're really successful in the games, do you think Ares will make a line of their own bows?"

"Personally I'm hoping for an action figure, but if I can't get that I'll settle for a line of bows. End of the day, Ares makes quality gear. So yeah, I would be interested to see what the eggheads come up with." To emphasize the last comment he invites the reporter to check out the new suit he's rocking and then attempts to quickly make an exit.

He tried to avoid the reporters as best he could for the remainder of the meet and greet. He was helped in this by a few fellow combatants. An ork sniper adept who went by the name of Bang and his friend Jared, a human mage. Darius wasn't sure how he felt about Jared, he didn't exactly love mages or humans. On the up side, at least he was a fellow wolf and so far he'd exceeded Darius's expectations. Both were on the same team in the Bravo company, this was their third and second respective year in the games. They joked about all the hoops they were being forced to jump through for media and Ares management and they seemed to get along.

Bang - Connections: 1d4 2
Jared - Connections: 1d4 4

When things started to wind down at the meet and greet Darius thought to ask them if they knew anywhere he could obtain Qi foci.

Bang: Ork sniper adept, no mentor spirit. 3rd year in the games. Came in through Ares's military wing and was very successful in the first year. Halfway through the second year he a rocket hit too close to home and he lost his left leg. His contract wasn't nearly up yet and so they fitted him with a cyber-leg and sent him back in. His combat ability is generally back up to snuff but he's been unable to regain focus to bring his reflexes all the way back to where they used to be. Fairly friendly but after the accident prone to bouts of isolation and anger. Don't draw attention to his leg.

Jared: Mage. Wolf mentor spirit. Worked security for Ares. Came in Bang's second year to replace a retiring combatant. Very intelligent and sometimes a bit cocky. A good portion of that self-confidence is well-deserved. When Bang and two other teammates were hit Jared single-handedly defended their position in a literally awesome display of fiery destruction. Good friends with Bang but still unnerved by the cyberleg and the results if it had or did happen to him instead.

OOC: Any roll to see if they know of places? Once he finds a place to ask Darius will specifically be looking for Qi Foci that will give him a strength boost.
Edit: If one of them sucks/isn't appropriate just let me know and I'll make someone else up.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. White/Tony
¥: 33,380 TV Rating: 12.5 Cards in the Deck: 51/52

After the meet and greet is over, Tony makes some friends. First there's a green haired latina who doesn't look like she's loving around in the slightest. They get to talking about the stunt him and Franz pulled at the meet and greet, the food, whatever. He finds out she's in the same company as him. Alpha 4 Recon squad, so that makes her a very good scout and possibly as deadly with a long gun as him. They end up talking more about details related to their work. Everything from which smartlink gear is the most reliable, shots they've taken, even random stuff like the most comfortable inserts to put into their boots and which brand lets their feet breath more. Weird how when you meet someone that has the same interests at you the conversation seems to go on and on about everything and nothing. They exchange commlinks and Tony promises to come out to train with her squad, test his skills against her squadmates.

Tony tells franz to come with him to medical so they can get some of that nodose stuff and IVs from the medics to get them rehydrated before the upcoming training. After they are done with that he'll talk to him about their little side business when they are alone and away from prying eyes or microphones. "I've been thinking on it and I think I got us a bit in deep. I think I need to kick this up to Mrs. J, she won't like surprises like this. But she might wanna take advantage of this in we've somehow figured. Any thoughts on how we wanna take this bro?"

Some point later as Tony is enjoying coffee and croissants in the Hotel cafe trying to relax before training, another Ares guys chats him up, mainly about the spur and plates trick at the meet and greet. Another Alpha Company guy but he's in Charlie Platoon, the Support Platoon. Squad C2 is the Armorers and Electronics specialist and Mr. Moe Green seemed to be quite good at both if Tony took his word for it. They both talk about Damien Knight's reaction to their stunt, Moe's kinda surprised the top guy could shoot so well. Tony himself for that matter, anyway they also exchange commlink codes and promise to go out for beers sometime before the challenge kicks off.

As he leaves the cafe, he thinks about what he's going to say and takes a drive away from the hotel, going no where in particular with a rental. Honestly, he goes into the desert to have a secure conversation with Mrs. J. He comms the commlink code he was given.

"Bartlett Financial, how may I direct your call?" says the female operator who handles things like this. "Hello I'm having a problem with my account number Delta Sierra 451." Tony says as he hears a quick hiss of static in his commlink as he knows the encryption is being applied. "Line is secure go ahead." the operator says. Tony pauses for a moment collecting what he's about to say. It'll either propel his career up or end his life in one go. But thats the life he chose.

New Ares Soldier Connections: 2#1d4 4 3

Added to my sheet
Cpl. Mirialis "Miriya" Santana A. Co, Squad A4 (Recon) (Connections 2/Loyalty 1)
Sgt. Moe Green A. Co, Squad C2 (Armorers & Electronics) (Connections 3/Loyalty 1)

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 10, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Karl Bradford
Rating 9 / Nuyen 24683 / 8 Karma

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616949&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post427111195

The meeting over, Karl breathes a sigh of relief and heads back to the room to prepare for the day's later events.

Contact #1 - Tom James, Alpha Company matrix support. Also from Ohio, mutual interest in things going on back home.
Contact rating #1: 1d4 2

Contact #2 - Lauren Caldwell, Alpha Company magical support. Focus on summoning and binding spirits. Karl managed to make a good impression on a woman somehow.
Contact rating #2: 1d4 2

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 5480 TV Rating: 11 Cigars: 12 Edge 5/4 Karma: 0

Winges posted:

"You know a shitload about your guns, man. I had a choice, I'd want you as my armorer for the sand. Now there isn't exactly a hooker, but I'd love to hear what you actually think of the new hardware. The Omega looks like it'd make a fun addition to an Ares Venture, maybe some light field work, but I still prefer the big rail guns they stick on the tanks. You ever fired one of those things?"

You end up on a balcony twelve stories up, smoking cigars and shooting the poo poo. Winger even produces a flask of scotch, offering you some. "So how'd you get all tied up in this poo poo? I was dumb enough to talk my way into it, thought it'd be better than living in real tanks in the real front line. Somehow, I convinced myself that getting shot at in wargames would be less scary. I didn't account on red sams on the other end, you know?"

Na, never got any real loving time on that new man-portable railgun they are working on. I try to be a forward thinkin, modern sortta guy but gently caress, the general fuckin metahuman track record with new tech doenst loving give one a lotta fuckin reason to get excited about being an early adopter. Like, take them laser weapons that have started to trickle out. Sure, they seem to have the fuckin performance down good, but until I see what happens when one of those battery packs cooks off, I aint so hot to strap one to my fuckin back. I'd give the rail gun a go sure, so long as I aint strapped into it.

Before answering the second question, he takes a long drag on his cigar. It aint like in the trivids, you dont meet some fucker at the crossroads and sign in blood. In real life, you sell your soul one loving drop at a time.

New Contacts:

1)Winger, Alpha Company, Squad B1, Gunner: Contact Rating: 1d4 3 Winger seems like a decent gently caress, doens't run off at the fuckin mouth all the time, and when he does talk, fucker seems to know what he's talking about.

2)Mic Finn, Aplha Company, Squad C2, Armory Tech: Contact Rating: 1d4 4 Reggie introduced me to Mic as the loving tv poo poo was winding down. Said he was a fellow fan a cigars and blowing poo poo up. It's loving nice to have another ork around for a change, all these smoothies and runts make a guy a bit loving edgy.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Nina Walker
TV Ratings: 9.5

Nina made her way back to the other soldiers, where she met up with some of the other support crew types. They tend to hang together as they're usually not the big macho sorts who need to get their killing on.

Lissa's a combat medic with a good amount of experience from Charlie Company, A3 assault squad. She's taught Nina a bit about patching people up, and they're generally both laid back outside of the field. They're also both heavily into Ares as a company. (Connections: Lissa: 1d4 4)

Oz is an ork rigger with Alpha Company, C1 Motor Pool. Oz and Nina can talk tech with one another for hours, even if they've got different interests in the field. While they don't tend to work together very often, when they do, they're a pretty good team. They've never seen actual combat together, though. (Connections: Oz: 1d4 3)

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 4, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Bumping to say I edited my post to actually have IC content. :toot:

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

When you inquire after the Qi focus, Jared grins and throws a playful elbow at Bang. "Looks like we need to take him to meet Seer Ago, huh? She's a crazy lady, a Berber from out in the deserts. They say she has the ability to see into the future or some poo poo. All I know, she's blind, but she does that scar-tattoo stuff, pours magic right into it."

Bang pulls his right sleeve back, revealing a number of interesting scars, beautiful and tribal and Berber in theme, and you can feel the magic coming off of them: whoever they were talking about, she knew her craft. "She put these on me last year, help make up for the leg I lost. She wanders a bit during the games, does work on the company bases, but before the games she's got this weird hut out on the edge of town. We can head over there: we should have time before training starts up. You have the cash?"

Mark an extra point of ratings for the answers. Your NPCs are awesome!

You get the IV, but the nurse is hesitant to feed you any more of the nodose. "Look, as far as I can tell, you've consumed six different drugs in the last hour. I don't know what you need to be more awake for, but I'm not about to give you a lethal dose of this stuff to get you through training. Now I can write you a note, let you get out of team training early, but there's no way I'm feeding you more of that go-drug with that much of a jazz hangover."

Even so, you feel refreshed (normal stats now), and more prepared to make it through the afternoon. It helps, or course, that you'll be out by three and able to catch some much-needed shut eye.

-----

The phone call doesn't go as planned: the encryption kicks in, and the phone rings a few times, replaying bounce noise after bounce noise, but after eight rings the operator comes back on the line. "We're sorry, sir. Your current account executive is unavailable. They are currently out of range on a suborbital flight. Would you like to leave a message, or shall I leave a notification of your calling?"

You spend your lunch prepping, getting everything in order for the training in the afternoon: mostly small unit stuff, room clearing and the like, but anything would be better than that insufferable meet and greet at this point. And on your way to your hotel room, for a passing moment, you think you see the woman fron the night before on the streets. It was just a glance, though, before she was lost in the crowd.

Cigars spent and the Meet and Greet over, you part ways with your new friends and head out to prep for the afternoon's work, but not before Winger promises to let you fire the rail gun in the desert. It was supposed to be gel rounds and whatnot, with a focus on small unit training, so hopefully it'd be low-impact. Even so, it meant you'd likely get to see a little more firing action than you did the night before.

After shooting the poo poo with some of Ares' fellow employees to pass the time, Oz gives you a mischevious grin. "You ever get into the pregames? I know we've all got this small unit poo poo this afternoon, but there's a place nearby that does hacker-on-hacker runs. They even provide the hardware, let you load up whatever image you want and get at it. There's money to be made, you good enough. I'm not myself, but I do love to watch. Wanna head over?"

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius
Nuyen: 29030 TV Rating: 11 Armor: 18 Condition: 0/11P 0/11S Edge: 2/3

Darius raises an eyebrow, the scars weren't quite what he was expecting. "Well I haven't seen anything like that before but it definitely feels like foci. And I trust you guys." Darius smiled, enjoying the camaraderie and continued: "Let's head over now, the cash shouldn't be a problem unless things are a lot more expensive here."

When Darius gets there he'll ask about qi foci for Improved Ability: Archery and Attribute Boost: Strength. Right now I'm leaning towards strength. If there is any small talk Darius will probably ask her about the local fauna.

ViscerusIgnea
Mar 21, 2014
[quote="ViscerusIgnea" post="428989785"]
Franz Talhoffer
Assets: 24500¥
Rating: 13

Ducking out of the way with White, Franz's pale skin crumples with concern as White relays the news. "Ze Shiavase party guys? Vell, poo poo. Ze most obvious answer is ze Shadowrunner special. Ve doublecross Shiavase, take ze suit, and bring Ares down on zeir heads. Eizer vay, ve are goig to be found out, why not spin it in our favour?"

Franz heads over with White for a pick me up, and slips his gear on, ready for combat training.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Bell 'Casustic Bell' Underhilde

Body 12/12
Stun 4/10
Edge 3/3
Rating: 7 + 3(TV Interview)
Nyugen: 28k
Karma 8

Thank you whatever that that is over,Bell sighs in relief, heading out of the room to get some fresh air. The question regarding the relief ship should have not come as a surprise to her but..

She pauses before the buffet table, seeing that there are no more crepes. "drat it, war is hell after all," she mutters sadly, a bit pissed off as she turns around to check out any familiar faces in the crowd.

Seeing a couple, she heads over towards them, doing the social thing to keep up appearances, killing time, and hoping they don't ask her to move a dead body so early in the day. Hopefully....

Jillian 'Nightingale' Mannering Human scout/recon adept Bravo: Contact Rating 1d4: 1. Notorious in Ares's military wing due to how gloomy she is off the field, to the point that she was given her nickname for her ability to drive those having a good time to the point of suicide. Kept on cause she is able to infiltrate without even being known she was here.

Jack 'Anywhere Jack' Matlock Human squad leader/scrounger Alpha: Contact Rating 1d4: 4. Transferred from Ares UCAS to fill a vacancy for the Desert games. Recently promoted, suspected to be an expert in acquiring stuff recently fallen off a truck. Always seems to have something handy that is not on the property books. Never caught with stolen property but rumors persist to this day regarding the trade-in of a pair of cement mixers to the UCAS Navy in exchange for fire support.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Your two new friends lead you through the city, Bang paying for the taxi and telling the cabbie to drive to the eastern edge of town, by the old riverbed. Within a half-hour, you find yourself on foot, trekking up an old riverbed carved into the sand, with Bang leading the way and Jacob coming up from behind. They both seem a little on edge, and Jacob was even carrying a handgun, but you arrive without incident. It's an old mud-made hut with a shoddy wooden door and a number of trinkets hanging like wind chimes but still in the desert breeze. You realize a little late that they're reagents, animal bones and feathers and scorpion tails, for whatever witch lives here. And soon enough you see her, too, an old, squat woman. She comes out and flashes a toothless smile, picking up some sand and rubbing it through her hands. As it drifts into the breeze, across the desert, she says, "Yes, yes, come in. Tell me, children, what is it you wish for?"

Bang just laughs and motions for you to go first.

The inside is larger than you'd expect, and hard-bottomed thanks to the riverbed. There's a small fireplace and a number of tomes, along with a shining set of small knives and peelers, just the sort of thing to replicate the scar on Bang's arm. The witch looks you up and down, twice, before plucking a hair from your head. "So what is it? Spit it out!"

The nurse offers you a little, red pill along with the IV, suggesting that it
will help you through the afternoon. He also comments that you don't look as
gone as your buddy, and asks what exactly you took last night.

Roll for your contacts.

Nightengale is odd, but her interests seem to somehow line up with yours. As the Meet and Greet winds down, she gets a weird little smile on her face and asks, "You want to go see something spooky? Supposedly a ghost haunts some of the older subway tunnels nearby, and I was going to go check it out during my lunch."

If anyone else had any business they'd like to conduct befor lunch, post soon or we'll move on to the small unit training.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Bell 'Casustic Bell' Underhilde

"Sure, why not?" Bell quips, not having anything to do till the evening regarding her secret dinner meeting to discuss plans how the dwarfdom will be on top of everything, just like the Illumanti.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Nina Walker
TV Ratings: 9.5

Nina checks the time quickly, trying to do some mental math. "How long we got? Not that I'm opposed to a bit of a challenge, but my group's probably gonna need to get some time to gel and all. Still, can't resist a good challenge. Plus, it's not like I do much more than overwatch, anyways."

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius
Nuyen: 29030 TV Rating: 11 Armor: 18 Condition: 0/11P 0/11S Edge: 2/3

Darius's eyes widen when he sees the tools of Seer Ago's trade. However his need for a boost overcame his fear. Forced to speak when she plucked his hair, he grimaced and replied: "I need to be stronger Seer Ago. Are you able and willing to make a qi focus for me? In the future I may have a need for magic to improve my skill with the bow as well."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Nightengale walks with you through the streets, past skyscrapers into the smaller homes of the area, old ones made of crumbling mud and white stone. Within thirty minutes of walking, you come to a larger one, and she points. "It's there. They call it the 'Watching Hut', because people say that they see people looking out of the windows all the time. It's technically closed to the public, but I was wondering if you could do something to make us a little... less visible. What do you think?"

You can definitely feel some sort of aura coming off of the building, but it isn't clear what's there.

Oz shrugs. "Who cares if we're a little late, right? Let's go have some fun!"

He guides you through the streets to a sketch alleyway full of neon graffiti trying to recreate scenes of ice blasting icons apart while deckers pound furiously at keyboards. In the middle is a door, and Oz opens it to a gust of cool air. "This is the place. Well, it's down two flights of stairs, but then it's the place."

You follow him down the stairs, and you can feel the bass in your chest before you hear the high-running treble lines of the latest Kallister Krafts single running in time to the laser lights. The room's full, even for noon, and you see more than one discarded Long Haul dose on the floor or in a trash bin as Oz shoves his way to the center of the room. There, in a three-meter volume, is a virtual trideo of a Matrix scene, two deckers slicing into each other with agents flowing around third-party IC taking intermitten shots at both of them. The crowd is loud, and you watch as nuyen swaps hands again and again and again. The deckers run back and forth, and then suddenly one of them slips up and takes a data spike, hard. His icon shatters into a million little triangular polygons and his physical body, in a lit booth at the end of the volume, starts coughing up blood as he takes a hot-simmed dumpshock. Then someone shoves a stack of nuyen at the winner, and Oz grins at you and yells over the music. "What do you think? Want me to see if I can get you in a game?"

Bang and Jared stay near the door, as if they don't want to become the subject of her attentions. Ago grabbed up your arms, running her desert-worn hands over them again and again, and then suddenly there was a pinch and you see her withdrawing a needle glittering with your blood. She sniffs it, then tosses it into a small beaker full of clear liquid that turns a bright green. "Yes, yes, that's all doable, my dear. How much money, though? How much money? What is it, precisely, and what are you willing to pay for it?"

Roll Charisma + Negotiation.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius
Nuyen: 29030 TV Rating: 11 Armor: 18 Condition: 0/11P 0/11S Edge: 2->1/3

Darius looks back at his two companions as if searching for help then turns back to Ago. "Well where I'm from [Improved Physical Attribute: Strength] usually costs about..."

OOC: Haha glad you asked again, was totally calling it the wrong name. Also I believe my dice pool would be 0 in this case, no? Charisma 1 and all.

[i]OOC Edit: Sounds good.

Negotiating price for Qi Focus: Strength - new and improved with EDGE!: 3d6h5 3

Arkangelus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
You may consider edging that roll. In general, it would have been 0 dice, so if you were going to roll at all it would be 3d6h5 at the cost of an edge point.

• Locked thread