Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

The Piper posted:

Wanna play now?

My bad for missing this. You have any times this week? I'll be available before 12 PM and after 12 am until Friday and I'll be free all weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

UPDATE PLS PIPER ON AVAILABILITY.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
I can't play during the AM hours so we'll have aim for the weekend. Or sim it?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The Piper posted:

Hell no weekend is fine dude. No worries just didn't want to let the thread sit for too long.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

The Piper posted:

Name a time I'm not doing anything this weekend.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
Just thought I'd post a "quick" thought on how I recruit. Dunno if it's the best method but I'm hoping to trade in in exchange for tips on actually playing the game (specifically weakness any of y'all have noticed, biggest one I've noticed is that I don't generate turnovers and my gameplan basically is to allow 4-5 yards per play on D and hope that eventually I get a good play (tackle for loss) or my opponent makes a mistake)).

I open the season by just searching for recruits that have me in the top 10 and add all the ones I like. I mostly go with just projected OVR but do pay special interest to position needs and players that work with my style to play. I try to set a hard limit on how bad the worse players players are that I'll include on my board (often around 70) but invariably this limit drops throughout the season. If I don't fill my 35 spots (always keep your board full) I'll then add players based on what I need and if I see guys I should be able to make a good run at (i.e. all his top school are in CA and he values close to home). Then I sort my guys (going mostly with just straight OVR but adjust a bit based on team needs and play style) and scout the top 20 and reorder my board again. After the season starts I just put max points in my top recruits until my points run out, if I'm maxed out in my scouting skill I'll often scout out the remaining players. Week to week I drop players that I obviously won't sign because: I keep losing points despite putting max points in or I am not putting any points in and other teams are putting a lot in. I also drop players if a scouting reports drops their OVR below my threshold or they are undesirable for some other reason. Again, anytime I drop a player I add and scout a new one to keep my board at 35. The first two weeks, players I add are based on the same criteria from preseason (i.e. I avoid the top players that will obviously be pursued). Starting on week 3 I will sort based on commitment <25% when searching for new players and will often find 5* players and such that no one is recruiting. Each week I re-order my board based mostly on OVR especially once I start adding the new 5* players that I may have not started in the top-10 but noone is recruiting. The week after I add those guys I appear on their list of top 10 and after one or two more weeks I gauge if I will be able to sign them based on how fast I shoot up their rankings. When a player is ready to visit I tend to schedule them for the first available game with few exceptions. The reason for this is I almost never reduce the number of points I am putting into a recruit because I want to get them to sign ASAP. Even if I have a 4k lead on points by week 3, if I stop putting points into them they may hang around and not sign until after bowl season and then I have to decide if I want to put points into them in the post-season where another team could easily steal a recruit from 4k points behind. The timing of offering scholarships I haven't figured out yet. I used to offer to everyone I was mildly interested in but now that I have the insta-sign skill I'm waiting until I am their #1 school so I have a chance at the insta-commit. People have mentioned having an offer increases the points you get per week so I'm not sure on the optimal strategy there. Oh and I hate post-season recruiting, bunch of vodoo magic black arts if you ask me. I mostly choose 4-5 recruits and dump all my points into them based on how my dog wants them distributed, I have no idea.

Whew that's quite the wall of text and probably does not have a continuous train of logical thought. I swear I did not take a bump of cocaine at 3 in the afternoon to write this. Just trying to get my thoughts on recruiting out there since it works for me and seeing if anyone has ideas on what I can do to bolster my game (both O and D).

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

That's very close to my strategy. I, however, do pursue top players and almost always land them - or at least in the last couple of seasons I have. I've been told to look for great recruits around Weeks 3-4 but I never find any that are worth pursuing. I guess that's one area I could improve in.

As for generating turnovers, it depends on which position you play. The safety is all about manipulation and baiting the user into throws. It's the most risk/reward position as to this day as I still give up big plays. It's really inevitable, but what matters is how much more often can you get a pick. I tend to do good with that.

D-linemen is the most sought position to play because it's the easiet. Personally, I don't like it because I feel like I have less influence on each play. As a safety I can defend the pass and/or turn HBs/WRs back into the crowd when they're beginning to break away. Anyhow, if you master the DT/DE you can wreak absolute havoc for passing teams. There are times when it's single-handedly kept ZSB in several of our games.

As for LB, it's been literally years since I've played but it's obviously a mixture of both. I think MLB is great for pass-heavy teams with a mobile QB. For me it's pretty easy to get lost in traffic when pursuing a runner in the backfield.

So first I would chose which of those 3 you feel best suits you. From there I can offer more specific tips.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Well I tend to do D-line partially because then I won't get burned and think the CPU does better at playing secondary and partially because I used to be able do very well down there with power and finesse moves. However this iteration it seems like I can't get the pressure I used to hence why I'm looking for new ideas.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I pretty much do the same recruiting as you, sly, and I'm assuming most of us do something similar. I have my own little changes to your recipe, but overall, the same idea. I've just tried to focus more and more on filling out classes with JuCo players because I've found Sophomores that are 2-stars, but like 72-76 OVR which is good enough depth for special teams or if I really whiff on a recruit. There's always a ton of JuCo talent at QB/WR/DB/OL, but I mainly use it for the last 2 since a good WR or an ATH turned QB are not hard to find. ATHs are mainly what I use to fill out a class outside of top targets and often I cut a few of them if I have a full class, but the possibility of having someone who can give depth or start at multiple spots is promising to me. I know I won't out-recruit most people, so if I start losing points I usually back off quickly. If someone is in the low 70s and likes me as their #1 school and keeps giving me bonuses, I don't tend to try to close with them and I use their points for higher priority players because the chance of losing them is so low.

I tend to play DT or DE because if I can't generate pressure, I can at least try to be a run stopper. If I'm against a mobile QB, I give LB a shot but I blow too many coverage responsibilities. Really, Z is the one who I would like to be more like because he can play the DL well and generate a lot of pressure. I have a hard loving time running on him because he doesn't get fooled into playing too wide or over-pursuing, which I often do against players like Kancho who run all over me. I can't stop his counter plays

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dline feels like its the easiest to play, but I would actually say its tougher to play really well, its just less noticeable when you make a mistake in comparison to playing the safety spot. This years game made the running lanes critical so if you blow your gap assignment things get ugly fast. It's not hard to set everything on the line and still end up having a counter block your guy you tried to get wide. I'm just never coordinated enough to manage safety or LB spots, I end up leaving a hole somewhere. My biggest advice if you're going to play Dline is always be looking for the HB screen, they are very successful generally but being able to break the "rush" assignment and get out to the flat is one of the biggest advantages you can get as a DT or DE. My other advice for the position is don't be too fast to use the RS for power and finesse moves, it can slow down the rush or tie you up when you'll want to disengage. I try and wait a second or two after the snap unless I've gotten a free release. The A Button is also your friend as any ball carrier within arms reach tends to at least get disrupted as they go by. Don't be afraid to change the slants of the line, or the pinch or contain options. Some formations are more likely to run wide than others.

As far as turnovers go, they are almost always predicated on pressure, real or phantom (thrown too many picks to JB rushing a throw thinking pressure was gonna arrive when I had time). If you can't get into the backfield fast, the passing game opens up enough (except seemingly late in games when I know I have to pass) to the point where a patient player will find the right read. Fumbles seem like complete luck to me so I dunno how to help there but INTs I think come from early throws, and close coverage. I will press most of the time if the coverage doesn't start them close to their players. When corners play off coverage they never react fast enough to curls and outs.

Recruiting wise, I tend to slap 35 dudes on the board, identify who I want to really pursue and put 90% of the possible points. Once I've figured out who to stop wasting points on I dump the max points into the top 10-14 guys until I have a big enough lead to bleed them back down to just above the the 500 base. I dunno I'm not a very good recruiter, but I try and focus on pipeline states first and then chasing guys from other places if I have to. Anyone who has me in their top 3 will end up on my board. For some spots like P, K, FB, you might not need to put anymore into them than having them on your board and offering them a scholarship.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Safety and LB is where it's at for picks. Only the CPU and Sly(once) can just outright dissect my zone coverage.

Also, a lot of my INTs come from playcalling. I tend to give away some looks early in the game so that by third quarter you've dumbed down your plays. Typically if you have to pass against me in the second half you're SOL because at that point I can come out in formations(or even plays) that I've used earlier and make a change or two before the snap.

Another thing I like to do is play a bunch of zone in the first half, and then in the second half throw in some man blitz on long downs out of those same formations. Playing the safety helps minimize the risk on this. Blitzing less than 5 in zone is not the way to go or you'll get picked apart. Also, press man seems to give everyone in here fits but Sly and myself.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Press man is always predicated for me by either safety help high or pressure, and I prefer pressure. If you can make that fast sack either with a free runner or a good dline move then it works just long enough. It's a big part of how I manage long distance downs.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I try press a lot with 7 man rushes against the cpu (leaving the RB uncovered as I hope that if he's getting the ball its behind the line as the pass rush is too intense) but never seem to generate enough pressure. I do get over eager with the R stick when I control a lineman and see it cost me sacks or TFLs when I get a free look so I'll try to work on that. Press never bothers me too much, dunno why. Usually when I see it I check for safety shading to that side as that usually indicates a CB blitz instead of coverage and if it's coverage my first read is to the go route. If my guy beats the CB off the line it's a fairly consistent 20 yard pass as long as I don't float it too much so that the safety can undercut. If it's not there I try to step up into the pocket and wait: either someone gets open or I lose 3-4 yards.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

The Piper posted:

Hey will you be free any time soon?

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

AfterFather posted:

Hey will you be free any time soon?

Can we set a tentative time of 7pm EST tonight? Really anytime 7 to 11 is good for me tonight.

The Piper fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 12, 2014

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

The Piper posted:

Can we set a tentative time of 7pm EST tonight? Really anytime 7 to 11 is good for me tonight.

Yeah thats fine

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Friendly reminder that Dio and DJ HAVE CPU games.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I forgot. May not be able to play it til tomorrow

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Sorry about the end of the game Piper. I wanted to check out the Saftey blitzes. I think they should be banned as the Saftey is unblockable no matter what play is run.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

I haven't noticed anything too cheesy with safety blitzes. I was running stretch runs to the outside. A safety blitz would gently caress that up IRL too.

Winston goes 8/8 for a modest 90 yards passing but he combined with my RB for 200+ yards rushing in a nicely balanced attack. I got lucky when AF took his opening drive down to the 10 but threw into a zone for a huge INT. From that point on I never trailed.

Good game AF, you've got UVA into upper-middle class talent level and will make some noise this season.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

John Brown posted:

Friendly reminder that Dio and DJ HAVE CPU games.

I know. Just holding out hope that make would get back into town. Hate the CPU bullshit.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we advanced and I play Cletus. When can you play? I'm pretty tied up today. How about tomorrow night?

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

The Piper posted:

Looks like we advanced and I play Cletus. When can you play? I'm pretty tied up today. How about tomorrow night?
Tomorrow night I'm getting my SEC game in with Wreckus, so I don't know if I'd be able to fit another game in - if you're online and I see you, maybe we can make it happen. But I can definitely do Tuesday night - or today/tonight if you happen to free up.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Yup there was an advance. There is also another user game involving South Carolina, I know MAkev will be back Tuesday so maybe we can aim to advance again by next weekend.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Only took me 4 tried but I finally finished my game against Louisville. Arlt this point the only solution I can think of is to change the channel on my router.

I'll look into it tomorrow night.

E: This team is so loving good that I'm really not even trying that hard to stat pad. Duke tha God is insanely good in this game. I can square up anyone in the open field and make him miss guaran-loving-teed. Also, my front four rates 85, 94, 91, and 97 :getin:

e2: Holy gently caress the typos in this post. 2am is not my friend.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 14, 2014

Texas A. Wreckus
Aug 20, 2006

Welcome to the OVal Office
#15 Golden Eagles sadly walk into Beaver Stadium and trounce my alma mater 27-14 to go to 3-0. Sadly if it was real life I guess. r2a

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
Piper, is tomorrow good for you?

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

cletus42o posted:

Piper, is tomorrow good for you?

Yes. 7:00PM EST would be ideal

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

The Piper posted:

Yes. 7:00PM EST would be ideal
Ideal for me as well. See you then!

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Holy poo poo didnt notice the advance. MAkev I wont really be available until Saturday.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice
GG Piper! FSU is crazy good and I was helplessly lost after you got the lead.

At least I'm starting to make some good triple option plays. Those are satisfying even when I'm losing.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Good Game. Jameis went 11-11 and added another 115 yards in the ground. The godlike completion percentage is just a result of being able to scamper for a decent gain whenever my first read is covered. You absolutely did have some sweet triple option runs though.

Next victim: Der Juicen

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

The Piper posted:

Good Game. Jameis went 11-11 and added another 115 yards in the ground. The godlike completion percentage is just a result of being able to scamper for a decent gain whenever my first read is covered. You absolutely did have some sweet triple option runs though.

Next victim: Der Juicen

I haven't been close with wake since the first season sadly.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.

AfterFather posted:

Holy poo poo didnt notice the advance. MAkev I wont really be available until Saturday.

Saturday or after is fine, I'll probably be busy on Sunday during the day with easter things

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Hey AF, lets wake up and coordinate a time to play this game. I'm anxious to unleash these Hokies on some real ACC foes.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

MAkev posted:

Saturday or after is fine, I'll probably be busy on Sunday during the day with easter things

I'm free after 10 PM Central during the week and free all weekend.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

AfterFather posted:

I'm free after 10 PM Central during the week and free all weekend.

Wednesday at 10 or 10:30pm central? I'm on pacific so really anytime until like 2am your time is fine.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Lets try for around 10:30.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

AfterFather posted:

Lets try for around 10:30.

Sounds good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
UVA over USCe 28 - 0.

• Locked thread