Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Vishass posted:

Kind of wish the post credits scene was Hawkeye sitting on his couch with pizza dog watching all the Buffy the vampire slayer DVDs and we pan over to his answering machine and it has like 50 missed calls
Eh, it's the marvel universe, I'm gonna give him the benifit of the doubt. He and Stark were probably busy saving the world from a completely unrelated crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh, it's the marvel universe, I'm gonna give him the benifit of the doubt. He and Stark were probably busy saving the world from a completely unrelated crisis.

Stark was chilling in Stark Tower.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Perhaps I'm just totally unknowledgable, but what other storylines could they go with to make movies out of? Are there any stand-alone Cap stories big enough to make movies out of beyond what we've seen?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
According to Kevin Feige, the events in this film are happening right around the same time Stark is getting his house blown up in IM3, so I imagine he was a little busy. (I also think it happens while Jane is in Asgard during Thor 2, but I could be wrong)

I loved this. I have been very critical of Marvel movies, and am infamous amongst my friends for being the "weirdo" who didn't like Avengers and did like IM3, but this fired on all cylinders. Actual action and fight scenes that stand up to the best of the genre, and a really cool twisty plot that actually managed to make great use of the world building Marvel has been doing as of recent.

I loved the use of Winter Soldier, which surprises me because I thought doing that storyline so soon was a mistake because I felt Bucky had no character development in the first one except that he was Steve's friend. This movie more than makes up for it. Winter Soldier Bucky was dangerous, scary, and in the end, a little saddening

I spoiled myself on most aspects of the film by accident, so I knew going in that Pierce was going to be bad and that SHIELD was now run by Hydra. I knew Zola would be there, but man was I really thrilled with how they did him. One step closer to weird stuff like MODOK! One thing I didn't know about and thus was a complete surprise was Peggy Carter showing up. I loved her in the first film, so having Hayley return to play her, even as an old woman, was so lovely.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

Perhaps I'm just totally unknowledgable, but what other storylines could they go with to make movies out of? Are there any stand-alone Cap stories big enough to make movies out of beyond what we've seen?

The logical move is to do The Death of Captain America. Cap destroying SHIELD and/or the events of Age of Ultron would be enough to justify arresting him, and they've already set up Crossbones as the potential assassin and Bucky to come in as the replacement Cap.

Or they could do Nomad. :devil:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

The logical move is to do The Death of Captain America. Cap destroying SHIELD and/or the events of Age of Ultron would be enough to justify arresting him, and they've already set up Crossbones as the potential assassin and Bucky to come in as the replacement Cap.

Or they could do Nomad. :devil:

Actually, hasen't Chris Evans also stated he's getting tired of being Cap? That would be a good way to kill his Cap off and then introduce Bucky-Cap.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

OldTennisCourt posted:

90% of the film isn't even a Cap story anyway it's a Fury story Secret Warriors is the book where they get all the HYDRA/SHIELD nonsense from.

But I guess the next logical one would be the various evil Captain America stories where the government replaces Steve as Cap and the replacement unsurprisingly turns out to be crazy.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Tony was accounted for (also doesn't have armor right now). Thor probably doesn't have a cell phone. You'd probably only call Banner if you had no other option.

Hawkeye works at SHIELD doing the exact same job as Cap and BW. He is also desperately in need of character development since the crazy doctor in Thor has been more developed than him.

All that said, they probably replaced him with Falcon which I'm cool with, and they've said his absence will be explained in Avengers 2.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

Actually, hasen't Chris Evans also stated he's getting tired of being Cap? That would be a good way to kill his Cap off and then introduce Bucky-Cap.

Chris Evans said he will finish his 6-movie contract. That would cover 3 Captain America movies and 3 Avengers.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Chris Evans said he will finish his 6-movie contract. That would cover 3 Captain America movies and 3 Avengers.
Yes but Sebastian Stan has now a 9-Picture Marvel deal.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Yes but Sebastian Stan has now a 9-Picture Marvel deal.

That just means that Sebastian Stan will likely be in movies after Avengers 3 unlike Chris Evans.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The MSJ posted:

That just means that Sebastian Stan will likely be in movies after Avengers 3 unlike Chris Evans.
Steve Rogers will be there until Avengers 3 sure, but it doesn't mean Evans will still be CAPTAIN AMERICA or that we won't have two captains or a "ghost of Steve Rogers" cameo.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The MSJ posted:

He sacrificed himself in an effort to kill Steve and Natasha, the biggest threat to their operations now that they thought Fury is dead. Zola had done his job at that point, so he probably thinks that it was his final contribution to Hydra. He also looks like this in the comics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnim_Zola

:stare: Well I guess I'm glad he didn't look like that.
If you have a comics background it may make more sense, but I saw the first movie immediately before the second and he never struck me as the kind of guy who would be a Hydra supporter after Red Skull died. I got the impression that all he wanted to do was science.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Let's not forget that Marvel movies already have a precedent for replacing actors for certain characters. I think it's more appropriate to assume a James Bond kind of deal than oops the guy who was playing Iron Man quit welp kill Iron Man off.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

According to Kevin Feige, the events in this film are happening right around the same time Stark is getting his house blown up in IM3, so I imagine he was a little busy. (I also think it happens while Jane is in Asgard during Thor 2, but I could be wrong)

Wow, that makes sense. Makes you wonder if Darcy's remark in Thor 2 about not being able to get through to SHIELD wasn't just a throwaway line.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Toplowtech posted:

Steve Rogers will be there until Avengers 3 sure, but it doesn't mean Evans will still be CAPTAIN AMERICA or that we won't have two captains or a "ghost of Steve Rogers" cameo.

If Chris Evans is done after Avengers 3, my guess is that he will die heroically in the final battle against Thanos and then the shield will get passed on to Bucky.

I really enjoyed this movie, and later when I have more time, I will write a more thorough post about my thoughts, but for now I will say this: Cap 2 is probably the best Marvel movie since IM 1.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So, with Falcon,

Is there a legitimate reason for him to be in this movie or were they just shoehorning him in there to fill a quota?

The only reason I ask is because I thought this movie was supposed to have a much earlier release where there was no hint at him in the early previews, and then suddenly his is a 2nd main character (which is fine if it fits)

The last film where they did this was GI-Joe to give Channing Tatum a bigger part for no reason and his scenes didn't necessarily enrich the movie to the point where it made up for the massive delay.

So, was he always intended to be there? Is he awesome? Or is this a shoehorn job?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Probably my favorite of the Cinematic Universe films.

Spoilers just in case:

This probably has my favorite "civilian (I guess they technically aren't civilians) standing with the hero scene" with "Captain's orders." Also the Mexican Standoff that came after it. It wasn't cheesy at all and there was just the right amount of tension for it to work.

Targeting spoilers:

The Baxter Building!

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Probably my favorite of the Cinematic Universe films.

Spoilers just in case:

This probably has my favorite "civilian (I guess they technically aren't civilians) standing with the hero scene" with "Captain's orders." Also the Mexican Standoff that came after it.

That was one of the scenes that took me out of the movie for a second because the henchman makes such a big deal out of making this tech guy put in the override. Then after everyone is shooting at each other, the henchman just overrides it anyways.

I mean this is a minor nitpick and there were a ton of scenes that were not meant for the moviegoer to dwell too much on. I can still appreciate that it was a good comic book movie that isn't meant to be overly analyzed.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 4, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

Targeting spoilers:

The Baxter Building!

Was it really there?

I saw the film last night. In non-plot details, don't waste money on the 3d. I will never make this mistake with a Marvel movie again. Don't know if IMAX is any better.

I enjoyed Falcon quite a bit. Action scenes were really good (and also, separately, show why the action in the Agents of SHIELD TV show suck so much).

Some have complained about the lack of screen time Winter Soldier gets but his story clearly isn't over, and I think in his brainwashed state, minimal use goes a long way.

I don't know yet how I feel about the whole HYDRA IS BEHIND EVERYTHING, from Stark's parent's deaths to something with the Hulk (creation of? Ross pursuing it? something else?). There might have been some other retcons in there too but the fast video historical clips footage makes it hard to identify it. It could end up being good, but I don't know if I have enough faith in MCU to pull off a complex plot like Secret Warriors

I think someone said this earlier that it is more of a SHIELD movie than a Cap movie.

I also no longer hate Black Widow, but she still needs a bit more character development.

Agent 13 felt like she had some important scenes that were cut out of the theatrical version. Hopefully a DVD and deleted scenes will help fill in the gap of her character.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

I saw the film last night. In non-plot details, don't waste money on the 3d. I will never make this mistake with a Marvel movie again. Don't know if IMAX is any better.

In terms of visuals, I don't consider IMAX 3D to be any better than the normal (and I personally hate 3D in any form), but the reason I go to IMAX is because the sound is so much better. Every punch, every crash, all of it actually shakes the theater, and it's such a satisfying experience. A perfect example was the roar in the Godzilla trailer before the movie, which was perfect with the powerful sound system. And the larger screen is a plus too.

Also, you get a free poster if you go for the first showing. Those are always cool.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

notthegoatseguy posted:

Was it really there?

It wasn't straight-up labeled, but I'm sure I saw a giant "4" shaped building in there

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Got time to post now. I really, really enjoyed this movie. Cap is my favorite super hero, so I am certainly biased, but I think this film had an excellent blend of action, humor, politics, suspense and pathos. It never felt as long as it actually was, nor did it feel rushed, and it took great strides in developing its characters and universe.

The fights were great, generally well framed and intensely physical. Captain America really came across as a super soldier, and I liked how much he used the shield. I also liked how all the leads had clear and distinct styles of fighting.

The chemistry and banter between Steve and Sam and Steve and Natasha brought a nice levity and helped develop all three of them as characters. Steve the man out of time needs friends, and in this film he gets two great ones. Related to that is the theme of Steve needing a girlfriend, and I loved Natasha in the role of close friend/match-maker, especially because it so smoothly set up the coming relationship between Steve and Sharon.

The film is clearly political, though simply and, on its face, inoffensively so. Some have complained that Hydra being behind SHIELD's excesses is a cop-out, but I found it to be a perfect avenue to present the argument against the surveillance state and preemptive action in a super hero movie. As an allegory, it says that we have become the very thing we fought to stop in the 40s. Taken more literally, while it absolves its heroes of responsibility for outright fascism, it argues that neoconservatism is essentially fascism in a nascent state. Either way, it presents a strong critique of current American foreign policy.

I was happy with how well it captured the feel of the Brubaker run without simply adapting that story to film. You can dissect the plot and find nearly every element in a previous Marvel comic, but that's hardly criticism, and the film combines its borrowed elements together into its own distinct story. The twists aren't wild, nor are they overly predictable, and there is a great sense of tension throughout the film. The climax had me on the edge of my seat, a feat that no other Marvel film has accomplished. And the character moments, especially the revelations about Steve's connection to the titular villain, were solid and grounded.

Of the three Phase Two sequels, this one did the most work in developing and moving forward the MCU, but unlike IM2, it never felt burdened or distracted by that work. This film is a sequel to both First Avenger and The Avengers and a prequel to Age of Ultron and Cap 3. Some have said the film is a SHIELD film more than a Cap film, but I disagree. It's certainly a film about SHIELD, but it's always Cap's film about SHIELD, and Fury's hand off, "guess you're giving the orders now, Captain," makes it clear who is in charge in the end. The return and resolution of Dr. Zola was a great connection to First Avenger, and the setups for Sharon Carter and Crossbones have me brimming with excitement for the eventual third Cap film. Similarly, the mid-credits scene connecting Hydra to Loki's staff via Baron Strucker while also showing us the new avengers has me chomping at the bit for Age of Ultron.

Marvel has really stepped up their game since Avengers, and I think this is their best film yet. It stands on its own, providing enough exposition for new audience members and containing a clear conflict and satisfying resolution. But it also stands as a great entry in the ongoing extended series, resolving and developing conflicts from and for other films.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Wasn't the Oscorp Tower supposed to be in the Avengers, somewhere in the background? I don't think the Baxter Building would be more than a cameo.

Concerning the timeline with the other movies, even if Iron Man 3 and Cap 2 happened roughly at the same time, Thor 2 happened a lot sooner. The tie-in episode from AoS happened quite a while back and it is supposed to be the connecting point between everything, even if it is doing a poor job at it. This weeks episode happened right before the events of the movie, Sidwell is in it and gets a call half way through that he has to report to the ship. Next week apparently deals with the aftermath of the movie.

And honestly, I would be fine if they simply wouldn't reference the others heroes in their movies, I don't really need a story justification for the simple fact that they have crossover movies and separated movies. I mean, the continuity references are pretty cool, because they give you the feeling of a greater universe, but the movies wouldn't exactly be worse if they were missing. If Tony's house got attacked during the same time TWS happens, wouldn't that be something SHIELD would be all over? The last time Iron Man got attacked in public, it ended in a Senate hearing, same with the entire Manderine threat. Mysterious super terrorist attacking America with untraceable bombs? The most well known super hero getting attacked in his own home and goes missing afterwards? That's exactly the kind of poo poo Shield deals with. Even if you assume that it is exactly the kind of things Hydra wants to happen, Furry or the Council members should have been concerned.

Also, I am really impressed that they made this guy actually cool. I kinda hoped Cap would recruit him for the attack on the carriers

e X fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 4, 2014

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

e X posted:

Concerning the timeline with the other movies, even if Iron Man 3 and Cap 2 happened roughly at the same time, Thor 2 happened a lot sooner. The tie-in episode from AoS happened quite a while back and it is supposed to be the connecting point between everything, even if it is doing a poor job at it. This weeks episode happened right before the events of the movie, Sidwell is in it and gets a call half way through that he has to report to the ship. Next week apparently deals with the aftermath of the movie.

Iron Man 3 was set at Christmas though, so I don't think they're set at the same time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sefiros posted:

Iron Man 3 was set at Christmas though, so I don't think they're set at the same time.

Iron Man 3 was set at Pepper's birthday, I thought.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Which was also near Christmas.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
The fact that only two or three people in the theater I was in laughed at the Ezekiel 25:17 inscription on Fury's tombstone thoroughly depressed me.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Screen Door Slams posted:

The fact that only two or three people in the theater I was in laughed at the Ezekiel 25:17 inscription on Fury's tombstone thoroughly depressed me.

I don't know if I was more depressed by that or by the kids who didn't know who Robert Redford was.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

hiddenriverninja posted:

It wasn't straight-up labeled, but I'm sure I saw a giant "4" shaped building in there

I'm pretty sure that was the big Avengers "A" on the side of Stark Tower.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Screen Door Slams posted:

I can't believe I missed that brilliant gag.

We got the Australian version which had a bunch of Australian references in the list. The only problem is that we are in New Zealand which doesn't give a gently caress about Australian references so gently caress you Cap.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Philosopher King posted:

So, with Falcon,

Is there a legitimate reason for him to be in this movie or were they just shoehorning him in there to fill a quota?

The only reason I ask is because I thought this movie was supposed to have a much earlier release where there was no hint at him in the early previews, and then suddenly his is a 2nd main character (which is fine if it fits)

The last film where they did this was GI-Joe to give Channing Tatum a bigger part for no reason and his scenes didn't necessarily enrich the movie to the point where it made up for the massive delay.

So, was he always intended to be there? Is he awesome? Or is this a shoehorn job?

I doubt it. Adding him in after the fact would have required a massive amount of reshoots and a major script rewrite given his amount of screen time. He certainly feels very organic to the film and not shoehorned in at all.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Tripwyre posted:

Definitely one of the more put together of the bunch. Really underscores how banal Avenger s was. The climax kicking off with Cap revealing that Bush did 9/11 and etc. then finishing with another federal building collapsing was at least a more interesting direction from Avengers than the other follow ups too.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ExplodingSquid posted:

So there's a part of the movie where they mention a couple of names...

They mention a watch list with Bruce Banner Stephen Strange, but was there a 3rd name mentioned or just the 2.

They mention a valedictorian somewhere. I didn't catch the exact location.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Thomamelas posted:

They mention a valedictorian somewhere. I didn't catch the exact location.

If I recall correctly, the location was Iowa (I probably didn't recall that correctly)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

OldTennisCourt posted:

I seem to recall one of the writers suggesting the psychotic '50s Cap as a possibility for the third movie, that might be good.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Tripwyre posted:

That would make a lot more sense. :doh:

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

So that movie was pretty bad. I haven't walked out of a movie in a few years but at the last 15 minutes i just didn't give a poo poo. I mean yeah i had other stuff to do but i just didn't care about anyone in the film, like at all. I loved the Avengers btw.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just got back today from this and have to say , even though they had to shoehorn in some of Caps backstory it was a wonderful story and Captain America film , I especially like the fight scenes and they kept it at Captain America levels in that He straight up owns normal guys in the film, like completely they don't stand a chance. Balroc gave him some of a fight but seriously it really amped up that he was pretty much king poo poo of shitkicker mountain. That scene of him jumping out of the elevator was loving crazy and the motorcycle jump onto the heli thing. They really nailed his power level perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As someone who doesn't watch Agents of SHIELD, is there any material I'll be missing out on?

• Locked thread