Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I thought it was explained fine. That's when we got Methuselah with the flaming sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

So were the townspeople eating women or trading them for meat? Or both?

Pretty sure it was both. I think the rating kept it a little vague but I think it was as clear as it possibly could have been without explicitly showing them butchering people. They trade in fresh meat and get a payment of part of past trades in return. I'm sure there's some metaphor in there.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Zachack posted:

Having not seen the movie but having quickly read the tie-in comic, the ruins (which totally look like a Heavy Metal lost-future-civilization thing) are a result of the crashed angels giving humans science and magic, and humans blowing it (iirc by turning on the angels when they wouldn't pony over more secrets or something). So it sorta is post-apocalyptic but not the future.

Sorry but this isn't part of my canon.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just saw it. I got a lot of Prometheus vibes from it along with Immortals(2011).

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Shaocaholica posted:

Just saw it. I got a lot of Prometheus vibes from it along with Immortals(2011).

Definitely got Prometheus vibes from it as well. I hadn't seen it, but this post has convinced me to watch Immortals.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Definitely got Prometheus vibes from it as well. I hadn't seen it, but this post has convinced me to watch Immortals.

Truly don't bother, unless you're well lit up. Immortals is a stunning series
Of tableaus (Tarsem inspired by Caravaggio), but it's a terrible movie.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Modern Leper posted:

Its worth watching for the visuals. Otherwise it didn't bother me that much.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I'm not the greatest CD writer but seriously it reminded me of Prometheus almost too much.

-theme of sacrifice to start new life
-theme of life and creation
-adam and eve were loving engineers
-weird organic poo poo
-the shooting location seems to be the same
-man is both wicked and good
-a barren woman who conceives (OK the bible did this first, wait wut???)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The Modern Leper posted:

Immortals owns actually :colbert: It's not a smart movie but god drat if it isn't a fun one.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

The gods vs titans fight in Immortals is absolutely stunning cinema

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Immortals rules.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Immortals owns actually :colbert: It's not a smart movie but god drat if it isn't a fun one.

Dat rebar:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The argument about that was so goddamn hilarious.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Were there any practical effects used for the Watchers? Some of it at least looked like puppets or stopmotion. I Googled but all that comes up is people complaining they're not Biblical/saying it doesn't matter they're not Biblical.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

The Time Dissolver posted:

Were there any practical effects used for the Watchers? Some of it at least looked like puppets or stopmotion. I Googled but all that comes up is people complaining they're not Biblical/saying it doesn't matter they're not Biblical.

I was wondering the same thing. Either way it was a great effect.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What the hell did goons find to argue about in a piece of mythological rebar?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Time Dissolver posted:

I can't say for sure but the puppet/stopmotion effect can be done in CG. Anything can be done in CG really.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Shaocaholica posted:

Anything can be done in CG really.

Could God make a CGI burrito so realistic that even he'd want to eat it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I know I'm going to regret this but...what was the argument regarding the titan dudes being held together with rebar?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

I know I'm going to regret this but...what was the argument regarding the titan dudes being held together with rebar?

Pierson posted:

What the hell did goons find to argue about in a piece of mythological rebar?

If I recall right, it was that Singh was a careless director because rebar/reinforced concrete wouldn't have been invented for centuries, as if a son of an engineer and installation art enthusiast director wouldn't know anything about building materials.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

If I recall right, it was that Singh was a careless director because rebar/reinforced concrete wouldn't have been invented for centuries, as if a son of an engineer and installation art enthusiast director wouldn't know anything about building materials.

That's such a stupid thing to get mad about, though. It's obvious from the rest of the movie that Tarsem values aesthetics over realism, holding him to realism on that makes no sense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Realism in a movie featuring pool boy Zeus.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
A creationist preacher named Ken Ham rebuked this movie for depicting Noah as a psychopath.

http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2014/03/28/the-noah-movie-is-disgusting-and-evil-paganism/

quote:

I am disgusted. I am going to come right out and say it: this movie is disgusting and evil—paganism! Do you really want your family to see a pagan movie that portrays Noah as a psychopath who says that if his daughter-in-law’s baby is a girl then he will kill her as soon as she’s born? And when two girls are born, bloodstained Noah (the man the Bible calls “righteous” in Genesis 7:1) brings a knife down to the head of one of the babies to kill her—and at the last minute doesn’t do it. And then a bit later, Noah says he failed because he didn’t kill the babies. How can we recommend this movie and then speak against abortion? Psychopathic Noah sees humans as a blight on the planet and wants to rid the world of people.

Although the events on the movie did not match the Bible version, I did not think it was inconsistent with the spirit of the Old Testament. God kills plenty of people, both directly and through his mortal servants. With the Flood, he kills 99% of humanity. So naturally Noah wonders if He wants his family to die off as well. On top of that, the girl they adopted was a descendant of Cain.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Neo Rasa posted:

SALT CURES HAM posted:

That's such a stupid thing to get mad about, though. It's obvious from the rest of the movie that Tarsem values aesthetics over realism, holding him to realism on that makes no sense.
Wasn't the mythological super bow just a modern compound bow too?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Baron Bifford posted:

A creationist preacher named Ken Ham rebuked this movie for depicting Noah as a psychopath.

http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2014/03/28/the-noah-movie-is-disgusting-and-evil-paganism/

Although the events on the movie did not match the Bible version, I did not think it was inconsistent with the spirit of the Old Testament. God kills plenty of people, both directly and through his mortal servants. With the Flood, he kills 99% of humanity. So naturally Noah wonders if He wants his family to die off as well. On top of that, the girl they adopted was a descendant of Cain.

Isn't he the guy that debated Bill Nye?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Kraps posted:

This is another thing from the Midrash, where Noah's lack of action is contrasted with Abraham's repeated pleas for Sodom and Gomorrah.

That's one interesting feature of some Jewish traditions, that some of the early people in the Bible would accurately be judged as wicked by later times, but for their time they were the best people so they were who God helped.

An alternate version where Noah convinces some people and there's a fleet of smaller arks would be interesting.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I thought this was great. For the longest time I've wanted to see interpretations of biblical stories that weren't flat-out sugar coated or pandering to religious people. The Fountain is one of my favorite movies ever and I definitely got quite a few Fountain-y vibes while watching this. Mansell's score was terrific too and Winstone is so captivating when he's given a good scenery-chewing role. Also the seed Methuselah gives to Noah looked a lot like the seed of the Tree of Life from The Fountain.

One thing that I kept thinking about while watching this was how much this felt like a super post-apocalyptic movie instead of something explicitly set in the past, it was kind of timeless in that sense that it could be set 6000 years from now instead 6000 years in the "past". Aside from the super continent, I guess. The whole evolution montage was gorgeous and the silhouettes of cavemen to roman soldiers to riot cops was really cool too.

Shaocaholica posted:

Isn't he the guy that debated Bill Nye?
Yes. Ken Ham is a dummy.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

This article belongs in the PYF Schadenfreude thread. It really, really does.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Just seen this on blu ray, and what a beautiful, beautiful film it was.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The scene when Noah is sitting alone in the darkness of the ark listening to the wailing, and then the camera switches to a mountaintop assaulted by massive howling waves and rain with the last of the caininites clinging to it as the ark floats in the background was an incredible image.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
It was nice that the imagery around wiping everyone off the planet was appropriately hosed-up. Old testament God is not to be hosed with. Curious how Moses movie will stack up visually, considering that story is nothing if not full of death/apocalyptic scenes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Just seen this on blu ray, and what a beautiful, beautiful film it was.

I loved the sky in the beginning - my eyes were wide open.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Stare-Out posted:

Yes. Ken Ham is a dummy.

Wait just a drat minute, the guy's name is Ham? HAHAHA, well guess that explains what the character in the movie left the group at the end to do.

"It has now been foretold, that I must train my descendants, and they must train theirs, for our inevitable battle with Bill "Serpent" Nye."

Like the Belmonts are to Dracula, the Hams are to Little Billy Nye.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

BMS posted:

Wait just a drat minute, the guy's name is Ham? HAHAHA, well guess that explains what the character in the movie left the group at the end to do.

"It has now been foretold, that I must train my descendants, and they must train theirs, for our inevitable battle with Bill "Serpent" Nye."

Like the Belmonts are to Dracula, the Hams are to Little Billy Nye.

All the names were biblically correct, as was much of the story, including Noah being the first to ferment grapes into wine and becoming a drunk through survivors guilt. Also the curse of Ham seeing his fathers nakedness.
I also loved the dove with an olive branch, as well as signifying peace it also signifies a new beginning.
The rainbow at the end was a great touch to the ending of the tale of Noah.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Pretty sure it was both. I think the rating kept it a little vague but I think it was as clear as it possibly could have been without explicitly showing them butchering people. They trade in fresh meat and get a payment of part of past trades in return. I'm sure there's some metaphor in there.

I thought it was him seeing the idea of "finding wives" taken to its logical conclusion: with the women as literal currency.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

All the names were biblically correct.

Oh I know! I was talking about the Preacher fellow that debated Bill Nye. Hadn't known his name until I read it here.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
And my love for everything Aronofsky does continues. What a beautiful, beautiful movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Cross-posting from GC:

I literally just got done watching Noah and, yeah, the movie's pretty sick. I could have done away with Ila's little sit-down with Noah at the end, but after doing a bunch of complaining about The Prince of Egypt in the animation thread, it was nice to watch a film inspired by Biblical literature that doesn't sugarcoat God being a ruthless prick. I really wasn't expecting Noah's arc to become as dark as it did, and it's a credit to Aronofsky and Handel that they pulled it off as well as they did.

I was particularly intrigued by the Tubal-cain character (Ray Winstone). There's an interesting dynamic that results between himself and Noah after the flood has already happened and he's sneaks aboard the ship. On the one hand, he's clearly a demagogue and corrupting influence, but as Noah is driven more and more mad by his drive to see man blighted from the Earth, it's actually Tubal-cain who comes to reveal himself as knowing something about the nature of God which Noah doesn't possess, which is that "Of course God won't kill all men, he's too proud to destroy something he made in his image.

The movie managed to do something really complicated in that it took a really modern conception of God as this kind of inscrutable, distant figure (whereas in Genesis he talks to Noah directly), but not compromise its depiction of history essentially flowing from his command. The most challenging thing the film suggests to modern viewers is that God is fundamentally responsible for both good and evil, but this should not terrify us because we are mere reflections of that unifying essence of divinity. God becomes a metaphor for what we don't understand about human nature.

I think it's telling that Aronofsky chose to not use much apocrypha or pseudapocrypha from what I can tell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One thing that kept bugging me was Noah's, well, logical inconsistency, I guess?

I mean, he sees God do all this fuckin' poo poo. Magical poo poo. Like a seed growing a whole forest, and billions of tons of water erupting from the Earth itself. And oh yeah, angels. Right. So, Noah then doesn't even once stop to consider that God wouldn't have let Tubal-Cain live and sneak onto the ship at all if it weren't part of the plan - or that God wouldn't have let someone get pregnant unless that was part of the plan too. Or that maybe the plan was supposed to include Ham's girlfriend and Noah hosed it up by not rescuing her. It just made him seem kind of like a dumb rear end in a top hat in the last act, which was maybe the point, but drat.

Other than that, probably the best movie DA has done since Requiem, for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

One thing that kept bugging me was Noah's, well, logical inconsistency, I guess?

I mean, he sees God do all this fuckin' poo poo. Magical poo poo. Like a seed growing a whole forest, and billions of tons of water erupting from the Earth itself. And oh yeah, angels. Right. So, Noah then doesn't even once stop to consider that God wouldn't have let Tubal-Cain live and sneak onto the ship at all if it weren't part of the plan - or that God wouldn't have let someone get pregnant unless that was part of the plan too. Or that maybe the plan was supposed to include Ham's girlfriend and Noah hosed it up by not rescuing her. It just made him seem kind of like a dumb rear end in a top hat in the last act, which was maybe the point, but drat.

This is kind of part-and-parcel with Aronofsky being one of the first adapters of Biblical literature in a long time to respect the basic fallibility of Biblical figures. Basically, Ila's advice to him at the end is no less a misdirection than Tubal-cain's manic ravings or Noah's assurance that he knows God's will: Even if God selects you because you're the 'most moral,' that doesn't mean that you are devoid of immorality or ignorance. In this context, even our ignorant and immoral actions are essentially a part of God's plan. In the example of Noah abandoning the girl - we know that this isn't purely a coincidence of Noah's ignoring God because in the very beginning of the movie we see him being the one who picks up Ila. Later, he tells her he thought she was going to be a burden, indicating that he only did it because he thought that's what God wanted. The point is that Noah never knows God, not completely. But God knows Noah.

• Locked thread