Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

I think it's telling that Aronofsky chose to not use much apocrypha or pseudapocrypha from what I can tell.

There's some articles from earlier in the thread that may dispute this. The snake skin and angels as presented are specifically from Jewish apocrypha/gnosticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Thwomp posted:

There's some articles from earlier in the thread that may dispute this. The snake skin and angels as presented are specifically from Jewish apocrypha/gnosticism.

Apocrypha isn't necessarily specifically gnostic, and the article that was posted before was followed up immediately by one that pointed out that it was predicated on some fairly faulty scholarship. It's not like there's no elements of gnosticism in the film - Tubal-Cain is a gnostic; he sees creation as being the evil creation of a perpetually false god. But like Noah in his fetishism of nature over mankind - failing to internalize that there is no delineation between to the two - Tubal-Cain's gnosticism is a mortal self-bastardization that absolves him from truly looking and knowing the perfection of life.

When I talk about apocrypha, I don't mean Jewish mysticism or commentary, which are canonical. I specifically mean those myths which are not considered canonical. Again, Tubal-Cain is the most prominent apocryphal figure in the story, as he appears in alternate myths of the flood as a similarly despotic wretch. But, again, his appearance in the film specifically uses mythology to affirm the Torah rather than 'expose' it.

On the subject of the luminescence of Adam & Eve and the use of the serpent's skin in ritual, this is not contradictory of midrash, which seems to be the primary inspiration of a lot of Aronofsky's ideas. The demonology of Judaism really isn't comparable to Christianity, where it's primarily accepted that any association with demons is wholly negative. In Jewish folklore, demons are much more ambiguous figures, as they are not only controlled by God, but are born from man, and can be used by him just as they both spiritually and physically corrupt him:

quote:

The spirits of demons were created on the eve of the sixth day, but before their bodies were formed the Sabbath set in, when rest was proclaimed, and their formation was not consummated.

After Cain had killed Abel, Adam separated from his wife for the space of 130 years, during which time Adam emitted male demons and Eve female ones.

Eve, 'as the mother of all living,' was also the mother of demons.

Four things were altered from their condition in the time of Enos, son of Seth: the mountains became as hard as flint, dead bodies of man commenced to putrefy, which was not the case before; man began to resemble the ape, and demons commenced having power or dominion over man, of which they were deprived before the image of God in man was impaired.

From Adam to Enos man had God's image, then man formed the image of demons.
- Tale and Maxims from the Midrash, Rev. Samuel Rapaport (1907)

A basic concept of Genesis midrash is that the way humans appear now how they always were, and, quite the contrary, humans now more closely resembles demons than they do God. This is not gnosticism. It reaffirms the perfection of God and man's special agency over himself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I'm very Gnostic and believe me I was looking for Gnostic stuff in the film but there really isn't any. Not even all Gnostics believe the God of the OT was evil so that's not really a definite "Gnostic" point either.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I just wanted Moses to talk to a crow that accuses him of trying to bone his bird wife. All my intellectual defenses are facetious.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I just realized after thinking about the lack of nephilim in the film, that the pollution and desolation of the earth is the metaphorical stand-in, being wrought of the mental joining of the grigori and mankind.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I still think this movie is one of the best films of the year and while I'm glad that other great films (Gone Girl, Boyhood) are probably going to be recognised I'm a little sad that this is going to be looked over at Awards season.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I still think this movie is one of the best films of the year and while I'm glad that other great films (Gone Girl, Boyhood) are probably going to be recognised I'm a little sad that this is going to be looked over at Awards season.

It's definitely still in my top ten. Awards season is always a disappointment, so there's really no point in engaging it except to mock it ruthlessly.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
There have been so many good movies in TYOOL 2014 it's legit easy to forget about this one, since it already feels like a year since I saw it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I have an alternate explanation for why it was easy to forget about this movie. Stay tuned!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I just remembered Robocop 2014 and now I feel bad for it. It tried. :saddowns:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Just got back seeing this:

1. An older couple after like the first 20 min and said "this is blasphemous" out loud and left.

2. This could be one of the greatest freak out reviews and this is coming from a dude who is literally building a $73 Million loving ark

Well, they did a lot of poo poo wrong when it comes to the fundamentalists. Not paying lip service to them, specifically, will earn you a huge negative response from them, especially when you try to fit evolution in.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Harime Nui posted:

I just remembered Robocop 2014 and now I feel bad for it. It tried. :saddowns:

It succeeded.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Just saw this last night, and was expecting to be either bored or dislike it, and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was awesome, something about the delivery just hit all the right notes with me, and it's the first time I've liked Russell Crowe in anything since LA Confidential. And the visuals were just incredible.

And I will never get over the contrast between Clint Mansell doing scores like this and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36nWNAvtwrw&t=41s

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I have an alternate explanation for why it was easy to forget about this movie. Stay tuned!

Well?!!? This movie is awesome. I'm not done yet but it's so beautiful and interpreted so interestingly.

Didn't Ridley Scott want to make a movie about Genesis or another part that I can't remember?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Gatts posted:

Well?!!? This movie is awesome. I'm not done yet but it's so beautiful and interpreted so interestingly.

Didn't Ridley Scott want to make a movie about Genesis or another part that I can't remember?

He made an Exodus movie with Christian Bale as Moses and Joel Edgerton as the Pharaoh.

It loving sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Blast Fantasto posted:

He made an Exodus movie with Christian Bale as Moses and Joel Edgerton as the Pharaoh.

It loving sucked.

"But, the economic impact alone!"
A serious line from the Pharaoh of Egypt, folks
Exodus is everything wrong with Ridley Scott's filmmaking distilled into one abysmally long movie
You can see the teethmarks on the script while you're watching it

• Locked thread