Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My aunt from England gave me some Ninja Hero shirts back in the day - wish I still had em, it was surreal. No nunchuks either since those were banned in the UK I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

New teaser posters are out.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Dr_Amazing posted:

I had a kid friendly version of the one where Donatello goes in the magic drawing crystal world.

I had all these books but this is the only one I remember.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The crystal from that issue eventually becomes a very dumb plot point in Mirage volume 4 that is pretty much the most disliked thing in the comic. The issue it came from was rad though.

Clearly they should get Megan Fox to act in an adaptation of the very dumb issue!

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

The crystal from that issue eventually becomes a very dumb plot point in Mirage volume 4 that is pretty much the most disliked thing in the comic. The issue it came from was rad though.

Clearly they should get Megan Fox to act in an adaptation of the very dumb issue!

Is this the "April is a drawing come to life" thing? I never got this far with volume 4, but I read about it, and yeah, that poo poo is full retard.

Peter Laird had some good stories to tell, but without Kevin Eastman to temper his weirder ideas, volume 4 became a clusterfuck really fast.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I liked the crossover with the ninja rabbit dude, the 2005 show even had a few arc's on the fantasy world which was fun.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

hypersleep posted:

Shadow's story is depressing anyway. She's another example in the Mirage TMNT universe that "sometimes poo poo just doesn't end well."

In the future, after the flood, Shadow ends up betraying the turtles, and Raph and her become bitter enemies because of something she's done to Donatello (he's blind in the future, it's implied she caused this). She hunts down Raph because he scarred her face in one of their previous encounters. She ends up taking his left eye out with her sword, and this is why Raph is depicted with a patch over his eye in future-based TMNT stories.

That definitely sounds like some stupid poo poo.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Which TMNT comic series had the arc where Krang grafted his body onto Shredder's head? I remember reading the start of that one as a kid but never finding the follow up issues.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

hypersleep posted:

Is this the "April is a drawing come to life" thing? I never got this far with volume 4, but I read about it, and yeah, that poo poo is full retard.

Peter Laird had some good stories to tell, but without Kevin Eastman to temper his weirder ideas, volume 4 became a clusterfuck really fast.

Yeah, and do not forget that revealing this for some reason required going back in time and living as roaches for weeks, including lots of gross roach sex. Easily the worst plot in Mirage.

Vakal posted:

Which TMNT comic series had the arc where Krang grafted his body onto Shredder's head? I remember reading the start of that one as a kid but never finding the follow up issues.

That was in the Archie comics.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The Archie Turtles comic got into some weird areas. Like, brutally amss murdering characters, gray aliens, a space traveling cow head, global warming, Hitler's brain, in one issue the Turtles spooked Hitler into killing himself.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Robotnik Nudes posted:

The Archie Turtles comic got into some weird areas. Like, brutally amss murdering characters, gray aliens, a space traveling cow head, global warming, Hitler's brain, in one issue the Turtles spooked Hitler into killing himself.

As utterly loving batshit they were, I have a soft spot for them. If I spot a trade collecting them, I may just snatch it up.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Can anyone explain why one of the turtles was all black in those comics? I only had a few issues of some arc where the cowhead swallowed them and took them to some other dimension, but I remember one of the turtles (Raph?) having black skin and no bandanna with no explanation.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Esroc posted:

Can anyone explain why one of the turtles was all black in those comics? I only had a few issues of some arc where the cowhead swallowed them and took them to some other dimension, but I remember one of the turtles (Raph?) having black skin and no bandanna with no explanation.

I think it was supposed to be some kind of stealth suit or actual ninja gear or something, but my memory is just as fuzzy on it as yours.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Esroc posted:

They went to a wrestling planet to do a wrestling thing and got new costumes and Raph liked his and kept it for a while. As I recall.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Robotnik Nudes posted:

They went to a wrestling planet to do a wrestling thing and got new costumes and Raph liked his and kept it for a while. As I recall.

Sounds like a parody of the Venom costume.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I had all these books but this is the only one I remember.

I had one about a spy that shredder captures and turns into a mutant chameleon, one with a mutant stingray, that wrestling one someone mentioned( it had the cow head completely out of context) and a bunch based on the 80s show.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Dr_Amazing posted:

I had one about a spy that shredder captures and turns into a mutant chameleon

I had that one, I'm pretty sure he was a PI though. Either way, all I could think was "How could the cartoon NOT do that one?!?"

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Vintersorg posted:

My aunt from England gave me some Ninja Hero shirts back in the day - wish I still had em, it was surreal. No nunchuks either since those were banned in the UK I remember.

Teenage Mutuant Hero Turtles! I remember my brother talking about these when he visited Europe. They also had problems with Selphie in final Fantasy 8, wonder what they did with that game release.

I also liked Venus but I am a bad person. I just want Mondo Gecko in something before I die - it's the only figure I still have!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I had that one, I'm pretty sure he was a PI though. Either way, all I could think was "How could the cartoon NOT do that one?!?"

I think he was a spy with the code name "chameleon" and Shredder was being an ironic dick about it. I mostly just remember he was a "double agent" and my dad had to explain if to me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Same here, plus I had the follow-up where he was looking for a cure and had somehow also gained the ability to shape his body into anything.

I was like 10 or 11 when I got these, so I don't recall if they were any particular series, but I remember especially from TMNT comics that the art was incredibly all over the place. You'd have one chapter drawn very well, as a comic book basically should be, and then you'd have a chapter - or just one page - that looked amazingly bad. Like, Krang as a featureless pink blob with googly black and white eyes or Shredder with one eye desperately trying to escape his face.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

:siren: TV SPOT WITH NEW FOOTAGE :siren:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/04/14/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-brothers-tv-spot

On a related note, I keep seeing people take what Fichtner Shredder says in the trailer at face value. The whole "I worked with your dad to create the turtles" stuff is getting quite a bit of anger directed at it, but no one seems to consider that maybe including that scene in the trailer was to throw people off.

What if that scene is Shredder trying to get April to tell him the location of the turtles' sewer lair? Instead of being an obvious rear end in a top hat and torturing the info out of her, he pretends to be the good guy? "I want to help them, I just need to know where they are!"

I'm going to go ahead and guess that this ploy works, since set photos from a few months back showed Fichtner Shredder in full armor inside of the sewer lair, and a plethora of set photos showed that the Foot definitely capture Leo, Don and Mike.

NineBreaker
Oct 22, 2005

I'm pretty confident in asserting that I am one of the largest (fattest) TMNT fans the world has seen, and I've been involved with the franchise since my first memories began nearly 27 years ago. I don't get the excitement for this movie that I have felt before with the 87 and 03 shows, or the live action films, but I'm positive that I'm going to see this the moment it arrives on my island. It looks like it'll be a lot of fun, and even if it's not the TMNT as I remember them, to be fair most of the TMNT canon is batshit crazy.

Honestly, outside of the original satirical comics, the three live action films (especially the 3rd one, gently caress the haters) the first season of the 87 show, the best TMNT is the first 3 seasons of the 03 tv show, right up until they deal with the Shredder once and for all.

I mean, it's TMNT. If you do it right, it'll tickle my loving heart. If you gently caress it up, I'm still going to enjoy it for what it is.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Dr_Amazing posted:

( it had the cow head completely out of context)

Let's face it: the giant floating space-traveling cow head barely makes sense in context.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
In a comic about turtles who were mutated by the stuff that blinded Daredevil and trained by a rat who happened to know Kung Fu, an interdimensional space cow head isn't pushing it any.

I have a fondness for the Archie series(I've the whole collection, which ended about 72 issues in, and there was ads for a reboot into some kinda robot samurai armor version that thankfully never happened), and it introduced a lot of cool characters that were a bit stereotypical of nationalities, but generally strong and interesting enough to carry them. They're good, and seem like they inspired some of the newer stuff by not being as goofy as the TV show but not as dark as the Mirage comics.

I'm down to see this movie. Not setting my expectations too high and letting my inner child enjoy some fukken turtles.

NineBreaker posted:

(especially the 3rd one, gently caress the haters)

For all the hate the third one gets, it aged a lot better than the second one. The second one had Vanilla Ice in it, and the moment you let irony or nostalgia slip, you remember how awful that really is. It's like if Macklemore showed up in the new one.

Stormageddon fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 16, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

NineBreaker posted:

I'm pretty confident in asserting that I am one of the largest (fattest) TMNT fans the world has seen, and I've been involved with the franchise since my first memories began nearly 27 years ago. I don't get the excitement for this movie that I have felt before with the 87 and 03 shows, or the live action films, but I'm positive that I'm going to see this the moment it arrives on my island. It looks like it'll be a lot of fun, and even if it's not the TMNT as I remember them, to be fair most of the TMNT canon is batshit crazy.

Honestly, outside of the original satirical comics, the three live action films (especially the 3rd one, gently caress the haters) the first season of the 87 show, the best TMNT is the first 3 seasons of the 03 tv show, right up until they deal with the Shredder once and for all.

I mean, it's TMNT. If you do it right, it'll tickle my loving heart. If you gently caress it up, I'm still going to enjoy it for what it is.

The 03 series really is great.
I also like TMNT 3 better than 2, but I can't get over how dumb the whole "we will have a blacksmith make a lovely approximation of the artifact that sent us back in time. If it looks close enough, it should work, right?" And then they build the dumb thing, but then Mikey drops it down a well as soon as it's finished. That entire subplot was so pointless and bad.

I really liked what I saw of the new (2013) turtles series, but I haven't seen most of season 2.

I am not excited about this movie at all. It just looks meh. One thing I don't get is that the turtles are giant. I don't have a problem with them being giant in principle, but they are too big to have ninja fights with regular people. They are like 9 feet tall. How, exactly, will they be "like ninjas" at all when they are basically giant monsters?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

hypersleep posted:

On a related note, I keep seeing people take what Fichtner Shredder says in the trailer at face value. The whole "I worked with your dad to create the turtles" stuff is getting quite a bit of anger directed at it, but no one seems to consider that maybe including that scene in the trailer was to throw people off.

To be honest, I genuinely hope that this is the case. I hope it is just Shredder bullshitting her. I'm more worried that it isn't.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I hope David Warner pops back up and dances to Skrillex performing a dubstep song about the Turtles.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Snak posted:

I am not excited about this movie at all. It just looks meh. One thing I don't get is that the turtles are giant. I don't have a problem with them being giant in principle, but they are too big to have ninja fights with regular people. They are like 9 feet tall. How, exactly, will they be "like ninjas" at all when they are basically giant monsters?

What more useful a skill to have at 10 feet tall than stealth? Seems a given if they weren't sneaky everybody would see them!

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Snak posted:

I agree. It reminds me of the difference between the original Predator and the new ones. Look more like bulky wrestlers than anything else.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Officer Farva posted:

I agree. It reminds me of the difference between the original Predator and the new ones. Look more like bulky wrestlers than anything else.

Yeah because it's totally unbelievable than an alien race would have more than one body type. I mean, all humans look exactly the same, right? I really hate when people bitch about the muscular Yautja, like that was the biggest problem with those films.

I'm fine with the turtles being large. Their size has fluctuated wildly throughout the franchise. Hell, the 2k3 series they were taller than most of the humans they associated with, and in the current series they're the size of an average twelve year old. I think size is the last thing to be concerned about.

Also, does anyone else get a Michael Zulli vibe from their new design? I think that may be why I like it so much. The Zulli run of the comics was one of my favorites as a kid so their large pseudo-realistic appearance hits all my nostalgia buttons.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thats a fantastic panel - I need to hunt more from him it seems.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

To be honest, I genuinely hope that this is the case. I hope it is just Shredder bullshitting her. I'm more worried that it isn't.

It's very plausible in my opinion, when you consider that April is the first human the turtles make contact with, and Shredder wants to capture them, so it stands to reason that she knows where their sewer lair is located, and he wants her to spill it.

We definitely know that the Foot and Shredder indeed invade their sewer lair. There's quick shots of it in both the trailer and the tv spot I linked earlier. Also, a LEGO set of the sewer lair named "Sewer Lair Invasion" is set for release that includes LEGO versions of the Foot and Shredder. I'm pretty much 100% positive Shredder lies to April about his involvement in creating the turtles to get April to trust him.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else put off by Splinter rocking a Fu Manchu mustache?

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I'm thinking he's not even talking about the turtles, but talking about the Foot Clan. Or maybe he's tied to TGRI and the ooze, not in reference to the turtles themselves? There's nothing to suggest he's specifically talking about the turtles, only that he and her father were trying to create heroes. Nothing about that suggests "yeah, let's give this stuff to some turtles and a rat to train them". It'd be a little cliche to make them an accident that occurs from some kinda super soldier serum, but it makes a lot more sense.

Considering the original origin of the turtles was that they were mutated by literally the same cannister of toxic waste that blinded Daredevil, where the ooze comes from seems like such a minor detail and better left open than ever explained.

Stormageddon fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 17, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Esroc posted:

Also, does anyone else get a Michael Zulli vibe from their new design? I think that may be why I like it so much. The Zulli run of the comics was one of my favorites as a kid so their large pseudo-realistic appearance hits all my nostalgia buttons.

This artwork reminds me of the one Ninja Turtles comic I had when I was a kid. It was a one-shot in black and white where the turtles were... summoned, I guess from little turtle statues by Splinter. It was bloody and violent and blew my young mind. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
The only violent one I know of is Casey Jones & Raphael:Bodycount(awful awful awful comic), but the Tales of the TMNT had a lot of one shots, and a few of those from the original run are notorious(Issue 11 being the one I know of)

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Stormageddon posted:

The only violent one I know of is Casey Jones & Raphael:Bodycount(awful awful awful comic), but the Tales of the TMNT had a lot of one shots, and a few of those from the original run are notorious(Issue 11 being the one I know of)

Aw come on, Bodycount was awesome. It wasn't meant to be a typical TMNT comic, but a "what if you took TMNT's two most temperamental characters and put them in a movie cco-directed by John Woo and Paul Verhoeven?" kind of thing.

It helps that I love Simon Bisley's ridiculous artwork.

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 18, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

hypersleep posted:

On an unrelated note, is anyone else put off by Splinter rocking a Fu Manchu mustache?

Did you see what he has going in the latest cartoon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1DUfMgfSYQ&t=30s

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

hypersleep posted:

It helps that I love Simon Bisley's ridiculous artwork.

I woulda thought this was Frank Miller if you hadn't said otherwise.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

hypersleep posted:

I wonder if Splinter's yellow clothing is a hint at his relationship to April. This movie looks so crazy that I'm really curious to see it. There's even a rocket-powered skateboard, because of course there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
New trailer that shows off all four Turtles (fast forward to slightly before the 1:00 mark if you're impatient and/or want to skip a lot of stuff that was in the previous trailer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD-F4lhMh2E

Count me in as one of the people who aren't really digging the Turtles' look. But, the rest of the movie is looking alright for a summer action flick, so I'll hold out and see what everyone says once it's released.

• Locked thread