Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Shrek turtles not withstanding I think this may be a fun dumb movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Nickelodeon being involved makes me worried which may just be because of The Last Airbender but the blame there might be more on Shamalayan.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Looks loving awful.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Uncle Wemus posted:

Nickelodeon being involved makes me worried which may just be because of The Last Airbender but the blame there might be more on Shamalayan.

The blame is always on Shamalayan.

Nickelodeon just owns the rights (the current TV incarnation is theirs, and is currently running).

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Diabetic posted:

I will say I'm excited, but God...drat could anyone else be April O'Neal?

They should have cast Judith Hoag again.

And I see on IMDB that (Are we spoilering things? Do people care that much?) Baxter is in the movie. I'm interested to see how that plays out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dinosaurs! posted:

They should have cast Judith Hoag again.

I would have loved that. I mean, I get why (practically) they'd want someone younger, but c'mon.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

I can't wait!

(for the Rifftrax version)

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Jane Levy should've played April. I don't hate Megan Fox like most people, but Jane Levy is a wholesome looking redhead who manages to be pretty without having that unnatural "I just spent an hour having makeup applied" look Megan Fox tends to have in every movie she's in.

Oh well.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
The Turtles look like a giant Wonka "nerd" candy.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Every time somebody links the trailer on my Facebook, I ask the same question.

WHY THE FLYING BLOODY BLUE MONKEY gently caress DOES THE GODDAMN SHREDDER WANT TO CREATE HEROES???????????

And yes, William Fichtner is the loving Shredder. Now, I have absolutely nothing against Fichtner, he's an awesome actor and one of those guys who's awesome in everything he's in. That being said, he is probably the last person on Earth I'd choose to play the Shredder.

If I had to guess, they'll play it out that Shredder and April's father created the "ooze" that mutated the turtles, but it wasn't intended to be used on the turtles themselves. As in, keeping sort-of in line with the story of the turtles being created by accident, when someone transporting the ooze loses a container and it drops into the sewer or whatever. They'll probably go into the ooze being some sort of super-serum type thing that's supposed to make someone invincible/stronger/faster/etc. for some other purpose.

The movie looks pretty fun though, that initial shot of Leonardo looked pretty badass and I kinda like the CGI aside from the scrunched noses deal. The Shredder outfit looked awesome too, I kinda agree that Fichtner wouldn't have been my first choice for that part outside having a voice that might fit how people expect Shredder to sound. And yes, I want to see all the characters eventually if the first TMNT movie does well, including Krang, Bebob, and Rocksteady.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Maybe I'm giving the writers too much credit here, but I think Fichtner's Shredder might simply be the leader of the New York branch of the Foot Clan, while Karai is the leader of the Japanese branch. Oroku Saki was their mentor, and he's dead by the time of the film.

Until the end of the film, when Fichtner Shredder is defeated, and it's revealed that Oroku Saki isn't dead at all.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I just saw this trailer and I came here to post exactly that they looked like the Goombas from SMB.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Wow, the Shrek reboot sure has a big CGI budget.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

The post is an absolute good.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Everything CG is Shrek. The buildings are Shrek. The water is Shrek. CG Keanu Reeves is Shrek. Shreky Shrek shrekly shrekkin shreks. What's left over is fantasy booking.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Gatts posted:

Everything CG is Shrek. The buildings are Shrek. The water is Shrek. CG Keanu Reeves is Shrek. Shreky Shrek shrekly shrekkin shreks. What's left over is fantasy booking.

But is Mikey going over Scooby at Wrestlemania?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The Bee posted:

But is Mikey going over Scooby at Wrestlemania?

Ooooooo. Good question. Depends IF Hunter allows Mikey to make a Scooba snack pizza. Then he'll he just pedigree both anyway and eat the pizza.

gregday
May 23, 2003

This is as good a time as any to remind everyone about the horrible shot in the 1990 TMNT right after Donatello says "It's a Kodak moment," he laughs and you can see the actor's mouth inside the mask mouth and it's the stuff of nightmares.

Right at 56:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HxooNxRnS0

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Intentional or not, it's great that a franchise that started as a comic book that was an amalgamation of 80s comics tropes (teenage drama, mutants, ninjas, funny animals) is now a blockbuster that's full of '10s blockbuster tropes (CGI creatures, origin stories, Michael Baysplosions)

Pixeltendo posted:

I have a hard time picturing Fitchner saying the line: tonight, we dine on turtle soup!

They're saving that line for the tie-in rap by Macklemore, obviously.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Geeks Of Doom is saying that TMNT might be pushed back as far as Nov/Dec to reshoot up to 1/3 of the film

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

Geeks Of Doom is saying that TMNT might be pushed back as far as Nov/Dec to reshoot up to 1/3 of the film

Ha!

Looks like the toy line is about to ship to stores so it's too late to ditch the stupid noses.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Every iteration of Ninja Turtles looks doofy as gently caress.

Exactly.

Monstrous pro wrestler kung fu mutant turtle monsters emerge from Manhattan sewers at night to chew the scenery. Imagine how they smell. They have noses now, you don't have to imagine. :haw: If there's any justice, Fichtner will whip it out Bison Dollars style 24/7 and survive for a sequel.

Going to keep a running count of how often Megan Fox bravely defies direction to deliver an ironic line straight. I'd like to thank the Academy.

gregday
May 23, 2003

This was the best incarnation of TMNT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE8Vyq2nx1A

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

gregday posted:

This is as good a time as any to remind everyone about the horrible shot in the 1990 TMNT right after Donatello says "It's a Kodak moment," he laughs and you can see the actor's mouth inside the mask mouth and it's the stuff of nightmares.

Right at 56:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HxooNxRnS0

That's pretty unsettling.

gregday posted:

I rented this once, even as a little kid I thought it was loving horrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ. It's like an Xenomorph/TMNT hybrid.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's those bad guys from Blade 2. In Turtle form.

gregday posted:

Not bad for only 3 fingers.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

gregday posted:

I saw this live as a kid. The only thing I really remember about it is how weird the turtles looked, and that when were walking in we saw the stealth bombers taking off from Whiteman AFB to go bomb Iraq.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I saw this live as a kid. The only thing I really remember about it is how weird the turtles looked, and that when were walking in we saw the stealth bombers taking off from Whiteman AFB to go bomb Iraq.
I guess that's a constant. If America is bombing the middle east, there must be TMNT on TV and in theaters

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Despair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCs9PFYHTe8

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

That's pretty unsettling.

Oh my god. I have seen this movie so many times and I have never noticed that before. I will never forgive you for this.

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

The gift that gives back.
Jesus Christ, that just took my childhood round behind the barn and touched it inappropriately.

Where are we, the rear end?

PSN: DROB1214
Xbox GT: DROB1214

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Holy poo poo, between teenage mutant ninja koopa and that creepy-as-gently caress still frame this thread has really exceeded expectations.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
Man you guys are right the new turtles look like poo poo, nothing like the good old turtles we had back in the day.

whorfin
Dec 6, 2007
Hands up everybody who grew up on the original Eastman and Laird Mirage books in the early 80's, and feels like TMNT was ruined the second Archie Comics turned them into the mainstream crap that apparently everyone else in the world loves and now feels like is being ruined by Bay's reinvisioning.

Or is it just me?

gently caress, I'm old...

Anyway, the original TMNT, give em a shot and see just how far they've fallen. No skateboard. No jokes. No Rocksteady or Bepop. Sometimes April was black, sometimes she was white. No stupid crap. Well... Ok... There were the Triceratons...

http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Classics-ebook/dp/B00IU2F2XU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Not a ninja turtles movie without Krang and SHredder.

Oh god this looks terrible. I will never watch this. I grew up on the ninja turtles and owned virtually all the toys. All I did with my friend was play ninja turtles and gi joe and transformer. This isn't the same. Buried like many turtles before it in my youth will be my memories of this franchise. I can't get over the new look. They look just so loving stupid.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'm going to beat you and your friend up.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
One of my favorite parts of the first movie is when one of the turtles pokes himself in the face a couple of time with a lollipop when trying to get it into his mouth.

EDIT: OK, it wasn't a lollipop but still hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HxooNxRnS0&t=568s

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 1, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
What's cool is that they now look more turtle-y rather than green football head.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

api call girl posted:

What's cool is that they now look more turtle-y rather than green football head.

Eh, TMNT2K14 don't look turtley at all in my opinion, with the exception of the shells.

The reason TMNT2K14 look the way they do is the same reason Bay's Prime was given lips: the people making this film feel like audiences will be able to identify better with more human like turtles -- they'll be able to convey emotion better.

General moviegoing audiences would recoil at actually realistic anthropomorphic turtles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hypersleep posted:

Eh, TMNT2K14 don't look turtley at all in my opinion, with the exception of the shells.

The reason TMNT2K14 look the way they do is the same reason Bay's Prime was given lips: the people making this film feel like audiences will be able to identify better with more human like turtles -- they'll be able to convey emotion better.

General moviegoing audiences would recoil at actually realistic anthropomorphic turtles:

Really? That model doesn't look horrific. It's perfectly suited for a movie about the Geriatric Mutant Ninja Turtles.

• Locked thread