Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I've been a TMNT fan since I was old enough to pick out my own toys and I am looking forward to this take on the Turtles. It's a mild departure from the source material, sure. But it's close enough and I for one don't want a rehash of the old stuff, I want new stuff.

My only gripe is that its CG turtles. The costumes of the first and second movies still hold up great even by today's standards, I wish they had just dug those out of storage and kept CG for the scenes too difficult to film with a suit.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Can anyone explain why one of the turtles was all black in those comics? I only had a few issues of some arc where the cowhead swallowed them and took them to some other dimension, but I remember one of the turtles (Raph?) having black skin and no bandanna with no explanation.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Officer Farva posted:

I agree. It reminds me of the difference between the original Predator and the new ones. Look more like bulky wrestlers than anything else.

Yeah because it's totally unbelievable than an alien race would have more than one body type. I mean, all humans look exactly the same, right? I really hate when people bitch about the muscular Yautja, like that was the biggest problem with those films.

I'm fine with the turtles being large. Their size has fluctuated wildly throughout the franchise. Hell, the 2k3 series they were taller than most of the humans they associated with, and in the current series they're the size of an average twelve year old. I think size is the last thing to be concerned about.

Also, does anyone else get a Michael Zulli vibe from their new design? I think that may be why I like it so much. The Zulli run of the comics was one of my favorites as a kid so their large pseudo-realistic appearance hits all my nostalgia buttons.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Obeast posted:

Count me in as one of the people who aren't really digging the Turtles' look. But, the rest of the movie is looking alright for a summer action flick, so I'll hold out and see what everyone says once it's released.

I have no issues at all with their physical bodies. Even those noses and lips don't look that bad to me. My issue is that all the turtles except Leo look like they rolled around in a trash heap and kept whatever stuck to them as fashion accessories. I mean, what the hell is that thing on Donnie's back?

At least Leo is just wearing generic "asian" armor. I can dig that. But the rest of them look like hobo's.

That said, I'm still pretty excited about the movie. I love me some Ninja Turtles, no matter how ridiculous.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

hypersleep posted:

The biggest problem I have with their appearance is the way the lips/mouths are done. From certain angles it makes them look like frogs to me.

It's actually a running joke throughout the franchise that people often mistake them for frogs. So I'm okay with this.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Yeah. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle itself was invented based on a silly drawing and a ridiculous string of words that sounded funny together. There's very little dignity to the series. It's always been zany bullshit. It's strength is it's a mish-mash of so many drat things that it has a lot of angles to explore. The old cartoon emphasized TURTLES (mostly by way of bad turtle and shell puns), the new Nick cartoon emphasizes TEENAGE, the more mirage-ey stuff emphasizes NINJA. This film looks to be coming from the angle of MUTANT.

The whole turtles franchise's strength is just being a huge grab-bag of colorful ideas that lets different creators basically tell almost nay kind of far out genre story they want, or let them stretch their muscles writing some family dynamics, and it's kind of a safe space creatively. It can be as creative or crassly commercial as you want to make it. Even the "archie" comics form the 90s , which I loved as a kid, were introducing increasingly bizarre dark and twisted poo poo into a kid's title. poo poo like Hitler's brain and body horror and the time the time traveling Turtles taunted Hitler to suicide) got into some sensitive areas, and form what I understand were basically just a Mirage title done by Mirage staff with Archie as the publisher and with slight. There's everything form the weird mystical craziness of Zuli's Mirage stories to the lame 80s slapstick of the old cartoon. It's like the Silly Putty of IPs.

Turtles is as Turtles does.

They even have a japanese sentai incarnation that was actually kind of fun.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

With every new footage we get I become more and more convinced that this is gonna be pretty great.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Everyone knows Donnie is the best turtle. Without him they wouldn't have all the badass gadgets. :colbert:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Just got back from seeing it and as a huge fan of the original 90's films I can give it a solid 6/10.

Absolutely everyone needed more fleshing out, but by the end you've got a solid idea of who everyone is and what drives them. So, I'm willing to chalk that up to origin story woes and the entire film feeling a bit rushed. The humour was about on par quality-wise with the originals, and there's more of it, with serious moments taking a backseat to quick laughs. I appreciated that myself, but ymmv. This is far from a "gritty reboot" like I've heard people say it was going to be.

The "new" origin is hardly new and could be better described as "tweaked". All the elements are there, just with a modern coat of paint. I totally bought the concept of the Turtles and Splinter all learning Ninjitsu together. If anything that makes more sense to me than any of the past explanations.

I also surprisingly enjoyed Fox's performance. She was believeable, funny, and had good chemistry with the Turtles. I liked what she brought to the role.

The Shredder was my only real gripe. He is almost entirely unexplained and it's painfully obvious that the other guy was Shredder at some point during filming before they split them up into two characters. He also looked ridiculous.

All in all I'm quite pleased and will be in line for the sequel.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Michael Bay has two bad movies (The Island & Revenge of the Fallen). Everything else is great.

Wait, we're not supposed to like The Island? I must've missed that memo.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

bobby2times posted:

I like how the movie just glossed over Splinter learning the ancient secrets of karate by just reading a book. Making splinter just a rat was bullshit as well.

I disagree. I felt that the five of them all more or less learning Ninjitsu together as a team, with Splinter just acting as a guide to keep them focused, was one of the more inspired changes to the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

hypersleep posted:

I'm not sure why so many people are upset that the Foot are paramilitary in this movie. They were a bunch of paramilitary androids that mostly used guns in the 1987 cartoon, which the script writers were obviously inspired by. I mean, it's the 21st century, if you were a rich man with a corporate empire with ambitions of taking over a major American city, wouldn't you want your own platoon of Blackwater mercs instead of a bunch of Bujinkan dropouts in ninja costumes?

Besides, with the turtles being mini Hulks, the Foot would have been laughably outmatched in every confrontation without their military toys. Even with them, they were little more than a nuisance for the turtles in this movie.

I didn't mind that The Foot were more like a PMC, but it bugged me that the turtles were bullet proof. Turtle shells aren't really all that strong, all things considered. They very obviously added that in so the Turtles could have more open brawls rather than stealthy ninja antics. But it took away any sense of danger and completely erased the entire purpose of them being ninjas in the first place. Now they can waltz through a gunfight like Superman.

• Locked thread