Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Early STP is great even if their sound wasn't wholly original. I like Core and Purple better than most of Pearl Jam's discography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Purple is a great album but my favourite is Tiny Music...Tales from the Vatican Gift Shop. That was when they really started to move away from the grunge association,

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Say what you want about Scott Weiland but I LOVE Contraband by Velvet Revolver. I think the ex members of GnR were more kindred spirits for Weiland, musically. I have listened to both albums so many times it's ridiculous n I like Contraband just as much as Appetite for Destruction.

I really like Heart's cover of Ring Them Bells by Bob Dylan that is a duet between Anne Wilson and Layne Staley. Really Pretty Song.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I'm going to vote Mad Season's River of Deceit as the best song from that genre.

Personally I always liked the period of alternative music before grunge broke. Which have more in common with Nirvana's sound than any of the other grunge bands. SST was full of proto-grunge bands. Daydream Nation was a great album. The Pixies were wonderful. But these bands had things in common with Nirvana and very few other grunge bands.

The labeling of what is grunge bothers me. Jane's Addiction is one of my favorite bands. They meet the criteria, but don't typify the sound. Drug addicts making music influenced by punk, Zeppelin, and esoteric weirdness. But they aren't grunge.

Nirvana sound nothing like most of the other bands lumped in with them and had the same complaint and question that I have.

What is grunge?

Yeah, I know it's 20 years too late to ask that question, but I still don't know the answer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's a made up label applied to bands from the Northwest that were all coming out on Sub Pop around the same time, with some additional usage on bands like Stone Temple Pilots that made very similar music to a few of them (mostly Pearl Jam).

Also I highly recommend Grunge is Dead: The Oral History of Seattle Rock Music to anybody who's interested in exploring the scene beyond the big 4.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I still agree with Cobain's assertion that Nirvana had virtually nothing in common with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP, or Alice in Chains.

I'm not a big fan of grunge. However I do like Nirvana.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

God Of Paradise posted:

I still agree with Cobain's assertion that Nirvana had virtually nothing in common with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP, or Alice in Chains.

Well, duh? Nirvana were an indie punk/noise rock band where a bunch of the other "grunge" bands were post-Zeppelin heavy metal/hard rock bands.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think 'grunge' and 'alternative' are the same thing even though they were used like synonyms at the time. To me grunge was a very specific subset of the broader alternative movement.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It was a catchy name used to market mainstream rock to teenagers. And scare parents, thus increasing record sales.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
I feel this belongs here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9wF2DDyz2g

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Crackerman posted:

i just wish they were doing it for Badmotorfinger too, no one ever talks about how excellent that album is.

I wish they'd do the whole goddamn discography. Granted there were a few (and I do mean FEW) duds on Ultramega OK and Louder than Love, those albums were still loving great. Sadly, those were pretty well ignored because they never had a real blow-up hit. You wouldn't believe how many people were shocked when Superunknown was new and I mentioned that it was actually their fourth album. (Well, fifth if you want to count that pile of re-released EP's as an "album", but most people don't.)

As for Stone Temple Pilots, I got into Core and Purple a lot at the time, but I ended up enjoying their later stuff more, particularly #4 and Shangri-La-Dee-Da.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 8, 2014

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is early Smashing Pumpkins considered grunge? I'm not sure what the accepted limits of the genre are.

Now that I think about it, didn't the heyday of shoegaze overlap with grunge?

I got into a nostalgia trip for music from this era that I didn't necessarily like at the time and picked up some Screaming Trees a while back. I really like Sweet Oblivion, but what happened on Dust? All the religious stuff seemingly came out of nowhere.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

david_a posted:

Is early Smashing Pumpkins considered grunge? I'm not sure what the accepted limits of the genre are.

I was about to ask the same thing. I’d certainly say the first three albums fall into the really broad category that grunge seems to be, at least stylistically.

Siamese Dream is also loving great.

As for Stone Temple Pilots they’ve become more and more straight-up pop rock in recent years and I have no problem with it. I really liked the EP with Chester Bennington and I bloody hate Linkin Park.

david_a posted:

I got into a nostalgia trip for music from this era that I didn't necessarily like at the time and picked up some Screaming Trees a while back. I really like Sweet Oblivion, but what happened on Dust? All the religious stuff seemingly came out of nowhere.

I think Lanegan found God somewhere. The last Mark Lanegan Band album is loaded with it too.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Whether or not you like Linkin Park, Bennington can definitely sing, and his voice does suit the band a LOT better than I thought it would. I was pretty much sold the first time I heard him sing Dead & Bloated.

e: Holy poo poo how did I not notice before... There was Soundgarden chat and THIS wasn't posted? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRQCtFotgSU
It's pretty unfortunate and even a little weird that the best song the band ever did was never actually on any of their albums.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 9, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I was real loving skeptical to say the least when I heard he was the new singer but then I saw a video of him doing a couple STP classics live and it was way better than I expected.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

david_a posted:

Now that I think about it, didn't the heyday of shoegaze overlap with grunge?

There was a bit of cross-pollination, yes, but generally there was a big rift between the grungers, who had more punk and metal roots, vs the 4AD pop/wall of sound/washy guitar bands, who were way into 80's pop and 60's sounds. But they did mingle a bit - Soundgarden was a big fan of alt tunings and jangly resonances and stuff like that, Dinosaur Jr who moved pretty seamlessly from noise to riffs and back, so on.

e: Sub Pop 200 was the first CD I ever bought. Try to find it. It's a great primer for the early 90s grunge/seattle sound and if you don't find yourself rifling through your closet for your Docs after listening, something ain't right.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Fenrir posted:

Whether or not you like Linkin Park, Bennington can definitely sing, and his voice does suit the band a LOT better than I thought it would. I was pretty much sold the first time I heard him sing Dead & Bloated.

I won’t pretend my prejudice wasn’t entirely based on my dislike of Linkin Park, but I was converted as soon as I heard Out of Time and immediately went looking for them doing the old stuff on YouTube.

Fenrir posted:

e: Holy poo poo how did I not notice before... There was Soundgarden chat and THIS wasn't posted? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRQCtFotgSU
It's pretty unfortunate and even a little weird that the best song the band ever did was never actually on any of their albums.

Even now sometimes I hear Chris Cornell’s voice and think ‘holy poo poo.’

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I gotta think that "Above" by Mad Season is the best "grunge" album out there. It's been mentioned, but it's my personal favorite, and it has everything:

Layne Staley singing with his unique and amazing tortured sound and super depressing lyrics.

Mark Lanegan doing what he does best. Before he got all weird I think.

Mike McCready from Pearl Jam melting faces with noodley guitar solos.

Barrett Martin from the Screaming Trees on drums.

And some dude named "Baker" (John Baker Saunders) on bass.

It's got a catchy radio single(River of Deceit), some heavy songs(X-Ray mind, Lifeless Dead, I don't know anything), a grimey blues song(Artificial Red, featuring some of Layne's best work IMO), and a sad but kind of hopeful ballad kind of song(Wake up). It even has a bitchin' 7 minute instrumental jam on it(November Hotel) featuring some badass noodley guitar solos and cool drums and bass. It hits every early 90s Seattle check point.

Just about all the songs are depressing, and about drugs. Half the band died from drug overdose(Layne and John Baker Saunders). It's bleak as gently caress, really. It really sums up the whole Seattle drug fueled depressing but rocking vibe.

Also the album art is rad, and was drawn by Layne Staley:

Also Lifeless Dead is an awesome song, and I will always love it because it's the first song I ever learned to play on a guitar :D

It sucks they never toured. I think they played a few shows in Seattle (one of which a live DVD was made, it's awesome). It sucks Layne turned into a heroin hermit without ever making a 2nd Mad Season record(or a 4th AiC album). But for it what it is, one album put out by a Seattle super group, it's pretty loving cool.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 10, 2014

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Dirt posted:

Mark Lanegan doing what he does best. Before he got all weird I think.
Weird? His last album of covers, well that as a little different but just about everything he's done in the past decade has been gold. Working with Queens Of The Stone Age, The Gutter Twins and guesting with a bunch (the Breeders come to mind) are enough but his solo albums Bubblegum and Blues Funeral are phenomenal and I highly recommend them.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Cheesus posted:

Weird? His last album of covers, well that as a little different but just about everything he's done in the past decade has been gold. Working with Queens Of The Stone Age, The Gutter Twins and guesting with a bunch (the Breeders come to mind) are enough but his solo albums Bubblegum and Blues Funeral are phenomenal and I highly recommend them.

Indeed. He never really went away. I saw him perform with the Twilight Singers in Austin, and seeing him slither up to the mike and growl out next to Dulli was one of the best live experiences ever.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Dirt posted:

Also the album art is rad, and was drawn by Layne Staley:

I love this album. The first time I heard it I was 18 and a really rough personal place and it’s stuck with me forever. I don’t listen to it often because it’s actually kind of hard to, but the fact that it has that kind of influence on me even all these years later really says something about it.

Mark Lanegan’s album with Duke Garwood that came out sometime last year is great too.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Not just Nirvana, but surely some Nirvana. Like last night, a gig after the Rock n' Roll Hall Of Fame Awards. Multiple vocalists including:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGCEr87IOAU
Hope this show is released!

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Who played guitar? Pat Smear?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Who's John?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

John McCauley from Deer Tick.

The show last night (this morning?) was reportedly professionally filmed.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r52rw78gaU Sedan. loving. Delivery. All the cred you'd ever need.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, seeing J Mascis playing Drain You and School must have been absolutely loving mindblowing.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Since Out of Time has been discussed and STP aren’t really part of the scene, what are people’s thoughts on the latest efforts from the remaining three of the biggest four bands of the genre?

Pearl Jam seem to have really rejuvenated their love of music in the last few years. They really sounded like they were winding down with Binaural and Riot Act, then the self-titled album suddenly had all this energy that they appear to be maintaining. They’ve really embraced their status as a big stadium act and I liked Lightning Bolt a lot, probably more than Backspacer, despite the lame album title.

Soundgarden surprised me with the quality of King Animal. Despite what I’d say are dud tracks (Attrition, Worse Dreams, Eyelid’s Mouth) it’s tighter and ballsier than Down on the Upside was, but doesn’t have the vast expanse that Badmotorfinger and Superunknown had. They make decent use of Chris Cornell’s rougher, older voice - I really like the awful crack he does on the chorus of By Crooked Steps (which should have been the title of the album).

Alice in Chains last couple of albums I...don’t really know. I thought Black Gives Way to Blue was patchy with a few really good songs (especially the title song). Devil Put Dinosaurs here is more consistent but way too long and I really wish Cantrell would let Duvall actually be the singer for more than like two songs.

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

Crackerman posted:

Since Out of Time has been discussed and STP aren’t really part of the scene, what are people’s thoughts on the latest efforts from the remaining three of the biggest four bands of the genre?

Pearl Jam seem to have really rejuvenated their love of music in the last few years. They really sounded like they were winding down with Binaural and Riot Act, then the self-titled album suddenly had all this energy that they appear to be maintaining. They’ve really embraced their status as a big stadium act and I liked Lightning Bolt a lot, probably more than Backspacer, despite the lame album title.

Soundgarden surprised me with the quality of King Animal. Despite what I’d say are dud tracks (Attrition, Worse Dreams, Eyelid’s Mouth) it’s tighter and ballsier than Down on the Upside was, but doesn’t have the vast expanse that Badmotorfinger and Superunknown had. They make decent use of Chris Cornell’s rougher, older voice - I really like the awful crack he does on the chorus of By Crooked Steps (which should have been the title of the album).

Alice in Chains last couple of albums I...don’t really know. I thought Black Gives Way to Blue was patchy with a few really good songs (especially the title song). Devil Put Dinosaurs here is more consistent but way too long and I really wish Cantrell would let Duvall actually be the singer for more than like two songs.

King Animal was pretty good but for me it was missing that big, aggressive, stomp your feet track like 4th of July or Slaves and Bulldozers. I think they were kind of going for that with Blood on the Valley Floor, and while it's a good song, it just isn't as heavy as it needs to be to get there. And I kinda like Attrition and Eyelid's Mouth, for me it's Been Away Too Long and Halfway There that are the real duds. I was actually pretty pessimistic when Been Away came out as the single, but luckily the rest of the album sat a lot better with me.

I like AiC but Dinosaurs was definitely pretty uninspired. I like Duvall a lot and thought Black Gives Way was the band easing him in by letting him sing lead on about half the songs, but instead they went the other way with it, which is a little disappointing. Someone can correct me if I'm off on this, but I always thought Cantrell was the main songwriter for the band, even when Layne was around. It seems like his material is a lot better when there's another strong presence or influence on the music; when he's the only voice in the room it gets a little bland.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
The new Alice in Chains albums somehow manage to be more boring than Jerry Cantrell's solo albums. They're probably just too old now. It takes a pretty hosed up person to write Alice in Chains style music after 30 or so.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Why the hell doesn’t Jerry Cantrell just make mournful acoustic music? That’s what he’s best at, especially now. I want another Jar of Flies.

Curl_like_smoke posted:

King Animal was pretty good but for me it was missing that big, aggressive, stomp your feet track like 4th of July or Slaves and Bulldozers. I

It was Soundgarden but with the pop sensibilities that Cornell retained from Audioslave and doing a Bond theme. It wasn’t bad but it was lacking that genuinely dark, depressive edge.

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 12, 2014

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

Crackerman posted:

Why the hell doesn’t Jerry Cantrell just make mournful acoustic music? That’s what he’s best at, especially now. I want another Jar of Flies.

Or just resurrect Cardboard Vampyres. As long as he's not writing anything new, I think he'd be fine.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Curl_like_smoke posted:

King Animal was pretty good but for me it was missing that big, aggressive, stomp your feet track like 4th of July or Slaves and Bulldozers. I think they were kind of going for that with Blood on the Valley Floor, and while it's a good song, it just isn't as heavy as it needs to be to get there. And I kinda like Attrition and Eyelid's Mouth, for me it's Been Away Too Long and Halfway There that are the real duds. I was actually pretty pessimistic when Been Away came out as the single, but luckily the rest of the album sat a lot better with me.

I like AiC but Dinosaurs was definitely pretty uninspired. I like Duvall a lot and thought Black Gives Way was the band easing him in by letting him sing lead on about half the songs, but instead they went the other way with it, which is a little disappointing. Someone can correct me if I'm off on this, but I always thought Cantrell was the main songwriter for the band, even when Layne was around. It seems like his material is a lot better when there's another strong presence or influence on the music; when he's the only voice in the room it gets a little bland.

I agree with pretty much this whole post.

In the case of Soundgarden, I tried but I couldn't get into King Animal. I really wanted to, because they were my favorite band of the late 80s/early 90s. It wasn't just the lack of a big song like you mentioned (and I even agree with the two you named - 4th of July, Slaves and Bulldozers are among my favorite songs of theirs, along with Birth Ritual, Nazi Driver and Gun) I'll try it again sometime, and maybe it'll sound better to me, but the first few times I played it, it just sounded... tired. Not the music and not the style, but the band itself. Not because they're old, but it sounds like they tried too hard. I'm hoping they stay together and do another album, and maybe it clicks better. I'm really hoping that the things I didn't like about King Animal turn out to be the band trying to get used to working together again, and they fix it.

As for AIC, I actually liked Black Gives Way To Blue. Most of the songs are quite solid. It'll never be the same without Layne, but they made an album that really did capture the AIC sound as well as they could without him, and damned if I didn't like a lot of them. I also liked Duvall's singing. Devil, on the other hand, reminded me too much of the flop that was Cantrell's solo album. He cut Duvall (and the rest of the band, it would seem like) out too much and basically made another bad Boggy Depot.

e: Also, I see that the Mad Season album is getting a whole lot of love in here. I never actually listened to it, I just remember that lovely song they used to play on MTV all the time (E: Apparently it was called River of Deceit) and thought I'd never like the album. Does it get better than that?

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 12, 2014

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Man, seeing J Mascis playing Drain You and School must have been absolutely loving mindblowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=092bFcVqT5s
If J played the whole set list, it would really have been like seeing Nirvana... but they got a bunch of women on stage instead, so whatever.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Crackerman posted:

He and James Hetfield should quit their day jobs and tour as a country duo.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed something. Why do so many sites/pages/tributes, even magazines, always say that no Nirvana song ever ended with a fadeout? Did not a single one of these idiots listen to Negative Creep?

e: I guess Bleach doesn't count since they weren't famous yet? I don't know. I just remember seeing that quote in at least a few magazines (Spin, Rolling Stone) and several other places. What's weird about it is that it was said as if it was some sort of musical world record, a bizarre feat that no band before had ever accomplished... and they'd actually done it on their very first album.

I think I first heard that almost 20 years ago and never really thought about it until now, because at the time I wasn't big into Nirvana and hadn't heard Bleach yet. You'd think the guys who write articles about bands would have done the homework, though.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 12, 2014

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Fenrir posted:

e: Also, I see that the Mad Season album is getting a whole lot of love in here. I never actually listened to it, I just remember that lovely song they used to play on MTV all the time (E: Apparently it was called River of Deceit) and thought I'd never like the album. Does it get better than that?

It’s arguably the peak of the genre along with Superunknown. Give it a chance.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Crackerman posted:

It’s arguably the peak of the genre along with Superunknown. Give it a chance.

Hmm, that's a drat bold statement. I guess I'll have to listen to it now.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

River of Deceit is the softest song on there. The rest of it is Layne Staley’s ghost haunting your broken head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

God Of Paradise posted:

What is grunge?

Yeah, I know it's 20 years too late to ask that question, but I still don't know the answer.

It's the stuff on your shower curtain: nasty, heavy, and dirty. The Seattle snobs probably say Gluey Porch Treatments is the defining album. And if it's clean and sparkly, then it ain't grungy.

• Locked thread