Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Crackerman posted:

River of Deceit is the softest song on there. The rest of it is Layne Staley’s ghost haunting your broken head.

I can't even get through the first song, this is horrible. I guess I'd have to either be 10 years younger or just ... gently caress, I don't know. This sounds really bad. Why is this album considered so amazing?

e: Something with this just doesn't click at all. 4 songs in (well, I skipped the one I know) and ... yeah, it's still not making sense, and I liked all the component bands that made this. I don't have an explanation, it just doesn't work at all for me.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

Fenrir posted:

I agree with pretty much this whole post.

In the case of Soundgarden, I tried but I couldn't get into King Animal. I really wanted to, because they were my favorite band of the late 80s/early 90s. It wasn't just the lack of a big song like you mentioned (and I even agree with the two you named - 4th of July, Slaves and Bulldozers are among my favorite songs of theirs, along with Birth Ritual, Nazi Driver and Gun) I'll try it again sometime, and maybe it'll sound better to me, but the first few times I played it, it just sounded... tired. Not the music and not the style, but the band itself. Not because they're old, but it sounds like they tried too hard. I'm hoping they stay together and do another album, and maybe it clicks better. I'm really hoping that the things I didn't like about King Animal turn out to be the band trying to get used to working together again, and they fix it.

As for AIC, I actually liked Black Gives Way To Blue. Most of the songs are quite solid. It'll never be the same without Layne, but they made an album that really did capture the AIC sound as well as they could without him, and damned if I didn't like a lot of them. I also liked Duvall's singing. Devil, on the other hand, reminded me too much of the flop that was Cantrell's solo album. He cut Duvall (and the rest of the band, it would seem like) out too much and basically made another bad Boggy Depot.

e: Also, I see that the Mad Season album is getting a whole lot of love in here. I never actually listened to it, I just remember that lovely song they used to play on MTV all the time (E: Apparently it was called River of Deceit) and thought I'd never like the album. Does it get better than that?

I get what you're saying about it sounding a little tired, but I kinda like that aspect of it. It sounds very much like what it is: guys who made dark, psychedelic metal in their 20's get back together in their 40's and see what happens. If you give King Animal another listen skip the first song, I think it really plays a lot differently (and better) if you do.

And definitely seconding the love for Mad Season. Check out the songs Long Gone Day and Wake Up. The whole thing has this great, almost jazz vibe to it.

Edit: haha nevermind, looks like it's not for you.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Fenrir posted:

I can't even get through the first song, this is horrible. I guess I'd have to either be 10 years younger or just ... gently caress, I don't know. This sounds really bad. Why is this album considered so amazing?

e: Something with this just doesn't click at all. 4 songs in (well, I skipped the one I know) and ... yeah, it's still not making sense, and I liked all the component bands that made this. I don't have an explanation, it just doesn't work at all for me.

If it doesn’t then it doesn’t. When I call it the peak of the genre that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s for everyone, just that it captures the feel and the atmosphere that people considered ‘grunge’ or ‘90s alternative’ or whatever. In a way that could tip it into parody if you’re not in the right mindset/of the right age that it speaks to you.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Curl_like_smoke posted:

I get what you're saying about it sounding a little tired, but I kinda like that aspect of it. It sounds very much like what it is: guys who made dark, psychedelic metal in their 20's get back together in their 40's and see what happens. If you give King Animal another listen skip the first song, I think it really plays a lot differently (and better) if you do.
I'll have to try that.

quote:

And definitely seconding the love for Mad Season. Check out the songs Long Gone Day and Wake Up. The whole thing has this great, almost jazz vibe to it.

Edit: haha nevermind, looks like it's not for you.
Yeah, the jazz vibe is definitely what turned me off, and the fact that like a third of the album is instrumentals. I kept waiting through November Hotel just now to hear Layne do something, because that was the song that really had the most promise, and nope, just a long boring guitar solo :(

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

crikster posted:

It's the stuff on your shower curtain: nasty, heavy, and dirty. The Seattle snobs probably say Gluey Porch Treatments is the defining album. And if it's clean and sparkly, then it ain't grungy.

And yet Nevermind is a grunge record.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Crackerman posted:

Why the hell doesn’t Jerry Cantrell just make mournful acoustic music? That’s what he’s best at, especially now. I want another Jar of Flies.

It was Soundgarden but with the pop sensibilities that Cornell retained from Audioslave and doing a Bond theme. It wasn’t bad but it was lacking that genuinely dark, depressive edge.

Speaking of that dark, depressive edge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyYx4fvQ784

Applebite was a great song. I think it's about how much Chris Cornell loved Andy Wood (MotherLoveBone's full length was titled Apple) and how heroin destroyed all of Chris' friends, and at the time of Down on the Upside was destroying him too (Andy being the first one of those guys that fell, I guess...

Soundgarden should do one more really fast punk album, like the Screaming Life days..

Man I watched that full performance on youtube of Chester with STP and he killed it. Scott was a better fit for G n R and Chester is a better fit for STP.

I could never get into Nirvana...any time I try to listen to their albums I just get bored and throw on Tim or Let It Be by The Replacements.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

AYC posted:

And yet Nevermind is a grunge record.

It's a good record because the songs are so well-written and catchy. But it still sounds generic. Anybody could be playing that guitar. People have talked about this for 20+ years. But what grunge started as is really unique.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

MentholsNBeer posted:

Speaking of that dark, depressive edge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyYx4fvQ784

Applebite was a great song. I think it's about how much Chris Cornell loved Andy Wood (MotherLoveBone's full length was titled Apple) and how heroin destroyed all of Chris' friends, and at the time of Down on the Upside was destroying him too (Andy being the first one of those guys that fell, I guess...

Soundgarden should do one more really fast punk album, like the Screaming Life days..

Man I watched that full performance on youtube of Chester with STP and he killed it. Scott was a better fit for G n R and Chester is a better fit for STP.

I could never get into Nirvana...any time I try to listen to their albums I just get bored and throw on Tim or Let It Be by The Replacements.

Along with Tighter and Tighter and Overfloater Applebite is my favourite song from Down on the Upside. It’s the weakest of their three 90s albums but it still has a lot going for it, and it’s got a really deep, bleak, atmospheric sound the further in it gets. It was actually a good ending for their career in an “always go out on your back” kind of way, but I’m still glad they’re still recording.

I’ve never gotten into Nirvana either. I discovered the scene when I was 17 after years of being a metalhead before stumbling on Pearl Jam. I went from them, to Alice in Chains to Soundgarden, then STP and Smashing Pumpkins, Faith No More and spanning out into all kinds of 90s alt rock like stoner stuff and whatever else, but Nirvana just never struck a chord with me. I have no idea why not to this day.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
One of the best parts of Nirvana was the t-shirts Kurt Cobain wore. I got into so many bands I would never have heard of if I didn't see it on his t-shirt first.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This is going to sound stupid or wrong no matter how I put it, but here goes anyway. I liked Nirvana, but I didn't like Nevermind or In Utero very much. It's NOT because they were popular, though. They were overproduced and way, WAY more poppy than Bleach and Incesticide, which I really enjoyed, and still listen to occasionally. Nirvana was a band that sounded better when they sounded dirty and noisy. There wasn't much of that on the big two albums, aside from like, Territorial Pissings and Radio Friendly Unit Shifter.

That said, their version of In The Pines (titled Where Did You Sleep Last Night) on the unplugged show... holy loving poo poo that was amazing :stare:

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
Yea I agree with Fenrir. KC flipped out trying to write the follow up to the biggest rock album in the world, and put out a dud. In Utero has some good songs but half of it's crap. The live album Muddy Banks of the Wishkaw is Nirvana at their best. But you say you don't like their poppy sound? I just love their twee influences, like the Olympia scene. Kurt Cobain lead me to K records and I wish they did more pop melodies like Molly's Lips.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was a huge Nirvana fan in the 90s but now that I'm not 14 anymore I think many of the other 90s bands were better. Smells Like Teen Spirit isn't even the song I associate with the 90s anymore, it's Black Hole Sun.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Fenrir posted:

Nirvana was a band that sounded better when they sounded dirty and noisy.

Kurt himself was said to have been embarrassed and upset when he heard the final polished/glossy mix of Nevermind.

Obviously 99% of people are totally happy with it, but yeah... he himself thought it was over-produced.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Kurt said a lot of things with conviction that he later changed his mind on with the same degree of conviction.

Based on numerous sources, he loved the mix initially. Later, as his "friends" started to diss it (in part due to its insane popularity), so did he.

Likewise, he praised Albini's original mix of In Utero and then soured on that the Geffen machine started pressuring him about it.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
The reunion shows weren't what I expected. The Hall of Fame committee let some teeny bopper named Lorde step in on the mic to do All Apologies, which was already a boring song. Sliver would have been a more fun choice for her. Kim Gordon was squeeling all over the place. It was like Hairspray Queen vocals. Smells Like Teen Spirit with Joan Jett are both so played out that it's very hokey. The only person who could save that song is Iggy Pop. All in all, the committee seems like the kind of people that would let Hannah Montana step in for an Alice in Chains reunion.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

crikster posted:

The Hall of Fame committee let some teeny bopper named Lorde step in on the mic to do All Apologies, which was already a boring song.

Krist is a fan and has been covering her recently. :ssh:

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

crikster posted:

The reunion shows weren't what I expected. The Hall of Fame committee let some teeny bopper named Lorde step in on the mic to do All Apologies, which was already a boring song. Sliver would have been a more fun choice for her. Kim Gordon was squeeling all over the place. It was like Hairspray Queen vocals. Smells Like Teen Spirit with Joan Jett are both so played out that it's very hokey. The only person who could save that song is Iggy Pop. All in all, the committee seems like the kind of people that would let Hannah Montana step in for an Alice in Chains reunion.

What exactly did you expect?

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

Stravinsky posted:

What exactly did you expect?

After the reunion show with Paul McCartney, maybe some bigger names.. at least get Thurston Moore instead of Kim Gordon. Neither can sing but Thurston is the guitar god.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

crikster posted:

After the reunion show with Paul McCartney, maybe some bigger names.. at least get Thurston Moore instead of Kim Gordon. Neither can sing but Thurston is the guitar god.

What? Every time Nirvana had an interview they were always pushing smaller bands that never really made it. And Lorde is not exactly a small name.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

crikster posted:

All in all, the committee seems like the kind of people that would let Hannah Montana step in for an Alice in Chains reunion.

Am I wrong for wanting to actually see that?

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
This isn't technically grunge, though it's a pretty awesome cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxXHbvbqno

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah. Thou lovest* thee* some Nirvana.

mod edit: fixed

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 15, 2014

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

Stravinsky posted:

What? Every time Nirvana had an interview they were always pushing smaller bands that never really made it. And Lorde is not exactly a small name.

Oh, people know who Lorde is? Noveselic is so goofy, I figured he was trying to entice some MySpace popular young New Zealand minor celebrity by putting her in Nirvana to catapult her to stardom so he could hook up with her. But I'd hope for big names in the punk world...like the fat guy from the Pixies.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

comes along bort posted:

Am I wrong for wanting to actually see that?

I have to admit it would be loving hilarious.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
So Iggy didn't cover any Nirvana songs for the reunion? Is he not a fan?

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

MentholsNBeer posted:

So Iggy didn't cover any Nirvana songs for the reunion? Is he not a fan?

Okay, you're right. Iggy would be stooping down to do that. And King Buzzo would eat poo poo before doing a Nirvana song unless it's with Leif Garrett. Oh well, at least Pat Smear got a payday and can stop eating out a trash can.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

crikster posted:

Oh, people know who Lorde is? Noveselic is so goofy, I figured he was trying to entice some MySpace popular young New Zealand minor celebrity by putting her in Nirvana to catapult her to stardom so he could hook up with her. But I'd hope for big names in the punk world...like the fat guy from the Pixies.

J Mascis isn't good enough for you? He was Kurt Cobain before Kurt was.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

crikster posted:

Oh, people know who Lorde is? Noveselic is so goofy, I figured he was trying to entice some MySpace popular young New Zealand minor celebrity by putting her in Nirvana to catapult her to stardom so he could hook up with her.
I take it the pop culture zeitgeist isn't your area of expertise.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

crikster posted:

She got nominated for a shitload of grammies and has seemed to be a pretty big deal from what I've heard. I live in New Zealand at the moment though so I don't know how much is just kiwis being stoked about her success but I get the impression she's pretty well known back in America from everyone I've spoken to from back home.

I still rolled my eyes a bit when I heard she was asked to sing on All Apologies though, I mean they don't all need to be contemporaries but she was born 2 years after Kurt died. I'm sure it was cool for her but it seemed a bit flavor of the month

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bulging Nipples posted:

She got nominated for a shitload of grammies and has seemed to be a pretty big deal from what I've heard. I live in New Zealand at the moment though so I don't know how much is just kiwis being stoked about her success but I get the impression she's pretty well known back in America from everyone I've spoken to from back home.

Even rap stations were playing her song for a while there. She was huge last year.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Lorde is/was pretty inescapable, yah. (Also not very good and a manufactured 'anti-pop' star.)

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Is there footage of the entire Nirvana Hall of Fame show? I really want to hear St. Vincent on Heart-Shaped Box and About a Girl but can only find Lithium on Youtube.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Do you mean the St. Vitus post HOF show? It was filmed but Krist is unsure what Dave's plans are for it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cheesus posted:

Do you mean the St. Vitus post HOF show? It was filmed but Krist is unsure what Dave's plans are for it.

He means the tracks with Annie Clark (who releases music as St. Vincent) on them from the HoF show

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Only four songs were performed at the HOF show. Of those, Annie only played Lithium.

However, Annie did perform HSB, About A Girl, and Lithium at the post HOF show in Brooklyn.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Oh okay nevermind, heh

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Yad Rock posted:

J Mascis isn't good enough for you? He was Kurt Cobain before Kurt was.

I dunno, I think J Mascis had always been too big of a dork to really be considered the proto-cobain. Paul Westerberg is probably a better candidate, at least vocally.

It doesn't seem like Dinosaur jr. gets brought up enough when people talk about Cobain's influences. At least on paper, You're Living All Over Me was one of the earliest templates for Nirvana/grunge in general where all the influences came together, mainly the blend of 70s rock and punk. Overall Dino jr is brighter sounding than most of the popular grunge acts were, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I'll throw my 2 cents in here, being a mid-30s old man. This stuff hit me at exactly the right time as I was just coming into my high school angst years, so I remember how it rose up pretty vividly. I had some cool friends through my older sister who were on Sub Pop's mailing list, so we got stuff like Ultramega OK and Rehab Doll super early (and even then, still well after Seattle did). We were total pretentious hipsters about it. It's weird how long it took to catch on; they were only showing it on Headbanger's Ball which nobody else in my high school watched. It's pretty much why I always loved Badmotorfinger more than the later stuff: Ground floor. Chris Cornell was the Jesus-looking dude with long curly black hair, and Superunknown was a change to a less-heavy style. They totally sold out when he cut his hair, you poseurs. :v: I may or may not have actually said this to someone at the time.

Hair metal actually had a major resurgence after the first wave of '89-'91 albums like Facelift, Ten, Bleach/Nevermind, and Louder Than Love/Badmotorfinger. But the death knell of hair bands was boosted along by better known not-quite-mainstream rock bands like Jane's Addiction and Sonic Youth generally sharing an audience with the new alt scene. Though to be fair thrash had been competing with glam for years, even if it wasn't as radio friendly. I remember watching Headbanger's Ball awkwardly go from Warrant to Slayer to Pearl Jam before they realized all these bands needed their own show like 120 Minutes (and later Alternative Nation).

But the reason most of the bands were lumped in together was entirely because of the region. Sub Pop was finding and signing a bunch of really cool bands that had a lot of diverse sounds and influences. This was pre-internet (widespread anyway) so radio was doing all the talking. The few indie radio stations ahead of the curve got a hold of some of it and started calling it "The Seattle Scene" long before Alternative and Grunge were ever labels. Bands that had a similar style or shared an audience/demographic but weren't from Seattle like STP started getting attention and there needed to be an umbrella term for all of them. But then after the second major wave of albums from '92 onward (when hair metal REALLY started to die), all the Seattle bands started gaining fame and people started separating out the originals - Alternative was a general term, Grunge came much later as a specific term. I know Mark Arm and some other people used it sporadically, but I don't remember hearing it as a widespread term until at least after '93.

'Hype!' is a really good documentary that goes into some of this, and is really worth seeing if you can track it down. Also, go back and watch Singles. It's amazing how intertwined that movie was with the emerging scene well before grunge really broke through.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
120 Minutes actually predates Headbanger's Ball by about a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Bonk posted:

Also, go back and watch Singles. It's amazing how intertwined that movie was with the emerging scene well before grunge really broke through.

There was also some really good poo poo on that soundtrack.

• Locked thread