Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

Fenrir posted:

There was also some really good poo poo on that soundtrack.

You mean like Pearl Jam's best song, State of Love and Trust? Man, I loved that soundtrack. That's how I first heard Mother Love Bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Gary the Llama posted:

You mean like Pearl Jam's best song, State of Love and Trust? Man, I loved that soundtrack. That's how I first heard Mother Love Bone.

Alice in Chains was the bar band in the scene where they were in a bar.

I feel like that was a bad movie though, but I don't really remember it honestly. Alice in Chains cameo is literally the only thing I remember from it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Tim Burton at the video dating service. He's like the next Martin Scorseez.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I dunno, I think J Mascis had always been too big of a dork to really be considered the proto-cobain. Paul Westerberg is probably a better candidate, at least vocally.

It doesn't seem like Dinosaur jr. gets brought up enough when people talk about Cobain's influences. At least on paper, You're Living All Over Me was one of the earliest templates for Nirvana/grunge in general where all the influences came together, mainly the blend of 70s rock and punk. Overall Dino jr is brighter sounding than most of the popular grunge acts were, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I never listened to Dinosaur Jr but yea like I said I think Kurt listened to a lot more replacements than he let on.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Dirt posted:

Alice in Chains was the bar band in the scene where they were in a bar.

I feel like that was a bad movie though, but I don't really remember it honestly. Alice in Chains cameo is literally the only thing I remember from it.

There was also the Pearl Jam cameo, the Chris Cornell cameo (plus Soundgarden are doing "Birth Ritual" in an entirely different bar scene), the obligatory Cameron Crowe cameo, and a Tim Burton cameo because why not?

That movie also had one of the best Pumpkins tracks ever. It's not really a bad movie for something that was probably trying to cash in on musical trend of the time. Like watching Friend's reruns, it is very much dated but it's not a terrible film.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just got two tickets to the Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/Death Grips tour :woop:

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just got two tickets to the Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/Death Grips tour :woop:

Ewww. That's like a Peanut Butter, ashtray, and Nutella sandwich.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

God Of Paradise posted:

Ewww. That's like a Peanut Butter, ashtray, and Nutella sandwich.

Yeah, Chris Cornell's voice just isn't what it used to be, and their post-reunion material is pretty uninspired.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Yeah, Chris Cornell's voice just isn't what it used to be, and their post-reunion material is pretty uninspired.

It's not like they're gonna be playing Animal King in full, it'll probably still own.

In other news, here's a stream of King Buzzo's new solo acoustic album

http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/king_buzzo-this_machine_kills_artists_album_stream

And something amusing and related https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Zuc83-IWI

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's not like they're gonna be playing Animal King in full, it'll probably still own.

Soundgarden has done many things, but owning I don't believe was ever one of them.

This thread should be called, "Grunge: Yeah, mostly Nirvana."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

King Animal was pretty good and they're touring for the 20th anniversary of Superunknown. I'm sure they know how to tailor a setlist. Plus if you've watched any of their live footage recently, his voice has recovered okay. I'm not expecting them to bust out Slaves and Bulldozers, but they're one of my favorite bands of all time so I'm not going to pass them up while they're still competent. Plus I enjoy both NIN and Death Grips (who don't really fit but whatever).

God Of Paradise posted:

Soundgarden has done many things, but owning I don't believe was ever one of them.

This thread should be called, "Grunge: Yeah, mostly Nirvana."
Why are you even posting in this thread?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Why are you even posting in this thread?

To post the Toadies album Rubberneck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85RU58K7Oj8

Grunge was a weird genre. On one side you had SST-hardcore and Pixies influenced bands like Nirvana, The Toadies, Sonic Youth from that time period. I love that poo poo. Proto-grunge bands like Mission Of Burma too.

Then you have the dark stripped down metal offshoots like Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.

And then you had the garble-mouthed stoned songwriters in flannel like Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees.

So really, none of the pieces really connect themselves. It's not bad really because it encompasses an ethos, hotbed cities, and a time period. Some music genre names are worse. Like I looked up "post-punk," the other day when the old lady was playing Joy Division. That genre title encompasses both 10,000 Maniacs and Throbbing Gristle. So it's not really anything, is it?

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 29, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's really more of a scene then a genre (which I guess you cover by calling it an ethos). I like to think that post-punk has some sort of genre parameters but then Swans get that tag and I'm just confused. I'm used to metal where you can be a total fascist about genres and make everything as specific as possible.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's really more of a scene then a genre (which I guess you cover by calling it an ethos). I like to think that post-punk has some sort of genre parameters but then Swans get that tag and I'm just confused.

They came out of the New York no-wave scene. No-wave being the artsy nihilist underground counterpart to new-wave which was the popular arm of post-punk.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

God Of Paradise posted:

To post the Toadies album Rubberneck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85RU58K7Oj8

Grunge was a weird genre. On one side you had SST-hardcore and Pixies influenced bands like Nirvana, The Toadies, Sonic Youth from that time period. I love that poo poo. Proto-grunge bands like Mission Of Burma too.

Then you have the dark stripped down metal offshoots like Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.

And then you had the garble-mouthed stoned songwriters in flannel like Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees.

That could be a useful way of categorizing things, but that first category doesn't make a lot of sense. Nirvana was more-or-less the only major grunge band to display a noticeable Pixies influence, Sonic Youth predate grunge, and Toadies would be in the same category as Stone Temple Pilots, whatever you'd call that.

quote:

So really, none of the pieces really connect themselves. It's not bad really because it encompasses an ethos, hotbed cities, and a time period. Some music genre names are worse. Like I looked up "post-punk," the other day when the old lady was playing Joy Division. That genre title encompasses both 10,000 Maniacs and Throbbing Gristle. So it's not really anything, is it?

You make it sound like you've never heard of post-punk outside of wikipedia.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

You make it sound like you've never heard of post-punk outside of wikipedia.

Bad assumption.

My argument was that Post Punk really is a meaningless title. An umbrella term. Like, what do Scratch Acid and REM have in common? Cabaret Voltaire and hosed Up? Nothing. So when you say "post-punk" as a descriptor, it doesn't mean poo poo. So if you said, I like post-punk, people wouldn't really know what you're talking about.

A friend and I interviewed the Toadies in 1997. Baboon opened. Their lead singer said their favorite band was Mission of Burma. Their sound is much more like a Touch and Go or Subpop noise rock band than Stone Temple Pilots.

But it's whatever. I like some bands people call grunge, like Nirvana. Others I don't. And I don't see the similarities.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 30, 2014

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Post-punk bands sounding so disparate just reflects that it was a really diverse and creative movement, not that it's a meaningless term. They sound different but they're still all essentially arty, intellectual punk bands.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 30, 2014

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
The arguing over "what is grunge," which basically has gone on ever since "grunge" became a term, reminds me why I simply took to calling the era between 1990-1991 (Nevermind, Badmotorfinger, etc) and 1996 or so the "Grunge Era" because a lot of non-Seattle and non-hardcore stuff was popular then too. For instance I lived in Phoenix during the rise of Gin Blossoms and The Refreshments. Can't call them grunge right? But for me, they were played on the radio just as much as Pearl Jam, Nirvana, AIC, STP, 311, Rage, etc were during that era so I lump them all together and call the era itself "grunge" just so people get a sense of the approximate year range I'm referring to. Invented sub-genres are hard to keep track of.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

God Of Paradise posted:

Bad assumption.
You should be aware that that's exactly what you sound like

quote:

My argument was that Post Punk really is a meaningless title. An umbrella term. Like, what do Scratch Acid and REM have in common? Cabaret Voltaire and hosed Up? Nothing. So when you say "post-punk" as a descriptor, it doesn't mean poo poo. So if you said, I like post-punk, people wouldn't really know what you're talking about.
If you think genres are or should be strictly defined by just ticking some musical checkboxes, you're really ignorant of how people talk about music and how musical scenes exist and grow.

That said, "grunge" was always a little iffy, imho, but post-punk had a fairly clear conceptual definition with common influences even if it resulted in a broad set of disparate sounding bands.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Just a heads-up: the new remaster of Superunknown sounds like listening to the original CD on a 1996 portable CD player with the bass boost on through £7.99 headphones.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Also, two tracks on the Deluxe edition that are not on the Super Deluxe edition.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Why couldn’t they do what they did with Ten a few years ago? That was a great set.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I don't get it either. Nevermind 20th was a brickwalled piece of poo poo while In Utero 20th was awesome. Is it really that hard to make a separate, over compressed masters for iTunes/Amazon MP3 and give those of us who prefer CD/Vinyl/high-def digital (HD Tracks) something decent?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Crackerman posted:

Just a heads-up: the new remaster of Superunknown sounds like listening to the original CD on a 1996 portable CD player with the bass boost on through £7.99 headphones.
Aw :(

I was kinda curious what they could do to make it better; wasn't the mid 90s basically the high-point of average CD sound quality? Ever since then we've been stuck in the Loudness War death spiral.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

If there was any album I own that I thought didn’t need a remaster it was Superunknown but I was really curious. Nope, ruined.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Have you listened to the "DTS Headphone:X" version of Spoonman? They have an iOS app with that song free (apparently the only way to get the rest of the album in that format is to pony up for the $99 edition). It's... weird. The 11.1 thing actually works; there's a demo with the app that plays 11 distinct channels (although how this differs from binaural audio is beyond me). The song mix, though, is pretty strange. I guess it sounds closer to being "in the studio" or whatever but I thought it was fairly unsatisfying to listen to.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I only have the single CD version. I was also hoping it’d come in a nice digi-pack or something but no. Looks like I’m sticking to my original CD.

As an aside though, it’s reminded me how much I love Superunknown, it’s a phenomenal album.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

I don't know that I (or have ever heard anyone) classify Toadies as Grunge BUT Toadies are absolutely amazing and are so underrated.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So, about Toadies - Rubberneck... I see it was remastered this year; should I go with that or the original? I'm fairly wary of remasters since more often than not it seems to be a quality decrease.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
The great thing about the year 2014 is you can listen to both and then make a decision for yourself! It was also the great thing about the last 20 years give or take.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don't pirate music and YouTube would negate any quality differences.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Bulging Nipples posted:

I don't know that I (or have ever heard anyone) classify Toadies as Grunge BUT Toadies are absolutely amazing and are so underrated.

They didn't during the time period.

It seems the same lazy music journalists and critics who overuse Post Punk to incorporate bands after-the-fact like Throbbing Gristle, are now overusing the word Grunge, and are labeling the Toadies as a grunge band, along with Sebadoh, Everclear and any band of the era they need to conveniently pigeonhole.

I've gotten flack in this thread for taking issue with overused genre-labeling, but I've written a lot of A&E articles professionally. This gives me a different perspective on the matter. Dumb motherfuckers left and right think they're Lester Bangs when they ain't even Lester the Unlikely. Tons of writers get delegated to music coverage when they know diddily poo poo about music, and I believe that's why you have things like The "90's Grunge Rockers" the Toadies, and the "Post-punk pioneers" Throbbing Gristle. But if you look at the artists influences, they'd tell a different story.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad

david_a posted:

I don't pirate music and YouTube would negate any quality differences.

Well if you're such an audiophile it seems your decision was made for you.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

cf posted:

Well if you're such an audiophile it seems your decision was made for you.
:rolleyes: Only if the remaster is an actual improvement, which is, you know, what I asked before you helped.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Oh, in that case it definitely is an improvement! It's the better choice and you'll be very happy listening to Toadies as an adult!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

God Of Paradise posted:

They didn't during the time period.

It seems the same lazy music journalists and critics who overuse Post Punk to incorporate bands after-the-fact like Throbbing Gristle, are now overusing the word Grunge, and are labeling the Toadies as a grunge band, along with Sebadoh, Everclear and any band of the era they need to conveniently pigeonhole.

I've gotten flack in this thread for taking issue with overused genre-labeling, but I've written a lot of A&E articles professionally. This gives me a different perspective on the matter. Dumb motherfuckers left and right think they're Lester Bangs when they ain't even Lester the Unlikely. Tons of writers get delegated to music coverage when they know diddily poo poo about music, and I believe that's why you have things like The "90's Grunge Rockers" the Toadies, and the "Post-punk pioneers" Throbbing Gristle. But if you look at the artists influences, they'd tell a different story.

Influences like John Cage, The Velvet Underground, Neu! and The Stooges, for example, are all common to both Throbbing Gristle and post-punk.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Everyone and everything shall be referred to as Marklar. It is the only way.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

david_a posted:

So, about Toadies - Rubberneck... I see it was remastered this year; should I go with that or the original? I'm fairly wary of remasters since more often than not it seems to be a quality decrease.

Just get Hell Below Stars Above instead. It's such a better album it's almost like it's a different band. One of my favorite rock records.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I, as the resident grunge fuckhead, refuse to let this die.

Here's one of the godfathers of grunge doing one of the best songs ever recorded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DweQEA1Z9Q0

ok yeah it's totally 80s butt rock but this is where it came from, god dammit.

Don't make me post 200 soundgarden songs in here.

e: and yeah it's not real grunge, I'm still not sure what real "grunge" is, but this poo poo owns. MLB owns, Soundgarden owns, and they were a whole lot better than "grunge" bands at the time.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I don't know what people consider "grunge" to be these days. I was in college in Tacoma WA when a bunch of great Seattle bands started getting attention. 1988-1989 was when it started getting big. I'd started getting into Touch and Go bands like Killdozer and Big Black and Scratch Acid after listening to almost nothing but 4AD stuff for a few years then all of a sudden this great local stuff started appearing.

Superfuzz Bigmuff by Mudhoney and God's Balls by TAD were both so different than anything else at the time (1988). Ultramega OK by Soundgarden came out that year too.

I have almost all Sub Pop LPs and 7" singles up til 1993 or so.

• Locked thread