Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Crackerman posted:

Soundgarden’s Superunknown is getting a re-release this year. I love pretty much everything associated with grunge (even Silverchair), but Superunknown is the peak of this vague and patchwork genre to me. It’s an absolutely colossal album, it is just absolutely huge to the point of being apocalyptic.

It bridged a gap perfectly for me between this loosely-held together grunge genre and stuff like Kyuss, as well as harkening back to my first musical love in Black Sabbath.

I love Superunknown.

I found my old copy of SuperUnknown last month and have been listening to it a lot lately. I've been thinking the lyrics to Superunkown (the song) have to be about some addiction Chris Cornell was going through. Fresh Tendrils and Limo Wreck are such epic songs. I love his lyrics and how his voice is idiosyncratic but powerful.

Anyone who likes Alice in Chains or Pearl Jam should check out Mother Love Bone. Anyone who likes Nirvana should check out The Replacements, who I think were a bigger influence on Kurt Cobain than a lot of people think (...and who I like a lot more than Nirvana) even though they predated all the bands in this thread pretty much.

My total 12 year old guilty pleasure "grunge" album is 16 stone by Bush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

I'm just glad they played the album live all the way through. When I was 15 I never thought they would get back together. Chris' voice sounds pretty good, too!

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Say what you want about Scott Weiland but I LOVE Contraband by Velvet Revolver. I think the ex members of GnR were more kindred spirits for Weiland, musically. I have listened to both albums so many times it's ridiculous n I like Contraband just as much as Appetite for Destruction.

I really like Heart's cover of Ring Them Bells by Bob Dylan that is a duet between Anne Wilson and Layne Staley. Really Pretty Song.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Crackerman posted:

Why the hell doesn’t Jerry Cantrell just make mournful acoustic music? That’s what he’s best at, especially now. I want another Jar of Flies.

It was Soundgarden but with the pop sensibilities that Cornell retained from Audioslave and doing a Bond theme. It wasn’t bad but it was lacking that genuinely dark, depressive edge.

Speaking of that dark, depressive edge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyYx4fvQ784

Applebite was a great song. I think it's about how much Chris Cornell loved Andy Wood (MotherLoveBone's full length was titled Apple) and how heroin destroyed all of Chris' friends, and at the time of Down on the Upside was destroying him too (Andy being the first one of those guys that fell, I guess...

Soundgarden should do one more really fast punk album, like the Screaming Life days..

Man I watched that full performance on youtube of Chester with STP and he killed it. Scott was a better fit for G n R and Chester is a better fit for STP.

I could never get into Nirvana...any time I try to listen to their albums I just get bored and throw on Tim or Let It Be by The Replacements.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

So Iggy didn't cover any Nirvana songs for the reunion? Is he not a fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I dunno, I think J Mascis had always been too big of a dork to really be considered the proto-cobain. Paul Westerberg is probably a better candidate, at least vocally.

It doesn't seem like Dinosaur jr. gets brought up enough when people talk about Cobain's influences. At least on paper, You're Living All Over Me was one of the earliest templates for Nirvana/grunge in general where all the influences came together, mainly the blend of 70s rock and punk. Overall Dino jr is brighter sounding than most of the popular grunge acts were, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I never listened to Dinosaur Jr but yea like I said I think Kurt listened to a lot more replacements than he let on.

• Locked thread