Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

This is the thread for that loud, abrasive, stripped-down sound of yesteryear-the Seattle Sound. Long ago, it dominated the music charts for a brief time, and still has a loyal following today. I am referring to Grunge.

Talk about any Grunge bands from the time period, as well as current bands influenced by the genre.

AYC fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

Fors Yard posted:

So, this is a bit before grunge, but I thought this is as good a place as any to share my collection of flyers for Seattle shows. They were my late aunt's, and I have inherited them. Dates range from around 83-85. Lots of Green River and Mr. Epp (Pre-Mudhoney) including a zine interview with Epp. Many of bands that influenced grunge appear in them quite often (The U-Men, Melvins, Malfunkshun, Butthole Surfers, etc..)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86967282@N05/sets/72157637417270586/

This Youtube channel has a lot of great recordings of some of those exact shows, and my aunt is visibly in the crowd in a couple of them. http://www.youtube.com/user/nearSeattle84

Holy poo poo, these are cool. Thanks for sharing!

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Popcorn posted:

It doesn't matter if grunge "killed" hair metal directly; it's more interesting to view it as a response, just like how British punk was a response to prog before it.

And how pop responded to grunge with acts like Blink 182 and then Avril Lavigne, defanging it completely.
I hate to sound like a hipster, but the state of the music industry these days kind of depresses me.

We need a super popular band that achieves its popularity outside the music industry. Something that goes viral under a Creative Commons license or something. At this point, the music industry just seems like a sick dog that needs to be put down by Dr. Bandcamp.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

crikster posted:

It's the stuff on your shower curtain: nasty, heavy, and dirty. The Seattle snobs probably say Gluey Porch Treatments is the defining album. And if it's clean and sparkly, then it ain't grungy.

And yet Nevermind is a grunge record.

• Locked thread