Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
Hello,

I see you are still reading the first page after the OP content.

Good for you!

This game is fantastic, please be sure to hit up one of us in game for a super group invite. There you may ask dumb noobie questions to your hearts content. You might even get teased a little, but thats ok cause everyone in our super group are noobs. Each and every one!

If you were overwhelmed by the sheer girth and magnitude of the OP, dont worry too much. The Sion mega post about different hero builds is definitely worth going back and referencing though.

We usually have a pretty steady influx of events occurring. You can find out more at this website: https://www.hub4heroes.com

They also have a list of active redemption codes you can enter on the marvel heroes main web site. Free stuff is pretty great!

Alright, I'll let you lurk more now, carry on.

jubelio fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Lux Aeterna posted:

Guess the infinity gauntlet's been thrown down

blizzard white knights arriving in 3...2...1..

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Phyresis posted:

This is the basic Strange build unless you're doing that astral projection gimmick, and I am not impressed at all after spending quite some time with him on TC. It's a lot of work just so you can reset Vapors of Valtorr - not worth it imo. The cast animation on Flames of the Faltine is horrible and the damage on it is mediocre yet it has a pretty small aoe and a cooldown? His most impressive dps ability isn't even an Incantation, it's his Signature. I get what they were trying to do with him and I think he is very fixable but he's just kind of a mess right now and a lot of micro for very little gain. I pretty much only play decent aoe nuke heroes, I really like Dr. Strange as a character, and I really like his spells' graphical effects but I don't think I'm going to pick him up in this state, even for Splinters.

Agreed, you might not have seen in the previous thread, but you and I basically reached the same conclusion. If they fix his cast animation times I think he'll be in a good place. I think vapors got a buff so getting resets for it is at least worthwhile.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Kainser posted:

The title is pretty dishonest, acts are significantly longer in Diablo.

This game is pretty amazing and all though so whatever.

Each chapter in MH has a similar number of waypoints as an act in d3, maybe you're being pretty dishonest!

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm lugging around all of Storm's gear after making her green.

Truly the toughest part of prestiging.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Ahundredbux posted:

Sell the medallions, they are easy to farm for since they're 100% drops from bosses (in terminals).

I'd suggest you find which character you like best and get the to 60, don't stress, just enjoy the ride.
Don't worry about legendaries, they are a big power spike when you are trying to fully kit out your character but they also cost 300 odins which is quite a few LQ.

While you can more or less freely unbind and trade them to another of your character (and even break them back down into Odincoins) they lose all XP progress in the process, which is why dedicating them to one character you like and want to keep playing or prestige is the best idea.

To further expound and expand, spending on Odin mark items in general (legendary items and blessings) is not something you need to do to complete any of the content in the game, their main purpose is to push your character further into "owns bones" territory. When you are trying to shave a few seconds off of your boss kill times, you might want to consider spending, but not really before that.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

seravid posted:

Is today's Boonening only for level 60 superstars? I wouldn't want my lvl 35 Pot Metal Man to feel embarrassed.

I added you in-game yesterday and you were offline. You weren't there. You promised. Why

Everybody is invited.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Suprfli6 posted:

That means if you use Gs to buy a hero it lets you get a second one too? Nice.

Once I have a huge stack of boons tonight, can I freely swap between heroes and keep all the boons or will it mess them up and/or only apply to the hero I'm on when I get said boons?

I think the way they do it is if you spend g's to buy a hero, you get a random box as well, so it could be a duplicate.

As far as boons are concerned, be prepared to stay on a specific hero and wait for someone to character swap and let us know. The stacks are a bug so who knows if they still act the way they did before or if its even possible to get stacks still.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Zoobtro posted:

Sorry if I missed it but can anyone explain boons and boon parties please?

I only have like 10 boons of different types which I've been holding off using but sometimes get boon bonuses out of nowhere. I haven't picked up a boon in weeks. This is all I know about them.

As part of an event, players were given(and could purchase) consumable items that granted an hour's worth of 25% XP, special item, and rarity boost. The items give the boost to anyone in your proximity in game. We decided we should do mass gatherings to maximize their effectiveness. They were intended to increase in duration upon multiple uses. They were bugged(possibly due to the stress we placed on the servers with as many people gathered that we had, maybe due to poor programming) and the amount would stack rather than the duration, or both would increase. It was a glorious unintended mess with some people running around with 800% increased XP/SIF/RIF or higher. Now, they seem to be only increasing in duration(I dont think anyone is still running around with huge 800%+ boosts), but many of us have over a week's worth of in game time with the 25% amount. In celebration of Dr. Strange's release, we are gathering to do it one more time.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

Hulk is the best 100% Hulk all the time. I'm going to Double-Diamond Gigaprestige him. My chatname color will be a shade of Red never conceived of or seen by the human race.

You're no DaveBo Vijj

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

davebo posted:

Here Jubelio, I made you a WordFind

<3

You still wearing your wolvie costume? Gonna take someone else to red this weekend?

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

davebo posted:

The last time I wore it was with the friend who gave it to me, who pointed out I never took the tag off. As though he expects me to dress like that in public.

Break that poo poo out, man. Its an event weekend after all!

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

NC, Scarlet Witch, Deadpool, and Cable all get skill-based teleports and move around a lot. All characters can also equip a Ziggarat of Kargul artifact that gives a teleport.

Almost every character gets a 'dash' power as well. Some do decent damage with it, and some get some awesome benefits with them (Ms Marvel + Flight Suit)

Scarlet witch and cable do have a lot of movement ability with their teleports, but I wouldnt describe their gameplay as "bouncing around like an idiot" Outside of their teleport skills, they basically sit and nuke. Same with loki.

I would say the dudes that you are looking for are probably one of the following:

NC, as said before, Daredevil, Spiderman, BlackPanther, Luke Cage, Colossus, Ms. Marvel, Captain America, and Hulk. Some are tankier than others, but they all have core skills that involve repositioning and melee.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

seravid posted:

Buy one get one is still up, right? I don't really need more characters at the moment, but a sale is a terrible thing to waste and I have Gs to spare. What would be a good addition to my current roster of IM, Torch, Hulk, Spidey and DD? Catching up on this thread Black Panther seems to be badass, though I'm still wary of melee characters in this game...

Also, how do parties work? Yesterday some folks decided to do 50s xdef and I said I was in, changed to SH for some reason (as instructed) aaaaaaand... nothing. Fuckers left without me :argh: Was I supposed to be somewhere/do something specific or did those assholes just forget to invite me?

I always suggest loki because loki is best. You could also go with gambit, nightcrawler, cable, or scarlet witch. All of those except gambit have teleport skills. Teleport is fun.

Re: parties

Sometimes goons are jerks, its true. In my experience as long as you announce when you switch difficulty and ask to invite again, they'll usually try again or explain that the group is full. /shrug

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Rip

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Can the uniques recipes lower level, or only raise it?

Only raise

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

I AM THE MOON posted:

i just got banned for hitting numpad 4 near doomsaw as doc strange

You're welcome.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Suprfli6 posted:

I've played for just over a week and also have a tab full of uru forgeds, half are 25 and half are 50. Granted I put a lot of hours in to take advantage of the reaper bonus but they're still very common.

I asked last page but it wasn't answered- How does RIF/SIF work with chests? Should I swap into a RIF gear set before opening cosmic chests or will that not do anything? I know those stats have pretty minor impacts but it can't hurt (unless you believe the marvel forums which have numerous theories about stacking rif/sif actually hurting your drops...)

You arent going to get an answer to this question for a few reasons.

1. chests in general do not drop decent loot. This includes cosmic chests. Outside of the ability to drop cosmic rings, they really dont drop anything good very often at all.

2. People dont want to lug around a separate set of equipment that will slow them down by having to switch every time a chest shows up. Most people either find/look for better gear that has the combat affixes as well as magic find affixes or you make do with what you have. Wearing RIF/SIF gear that isnt complete trash isnt going to slow your kill times by enough to warrant other gear unless its a good unique, in which case, just wear the unique.

and MOST IMPORTANTLY

3. Gazillion has not, and probably will not ever reveal how and to what extent RIF/SIF numbers affect loot drops. They will hint at things like "unique drop rates outside of xdef have been increased to match unique drop rates inside xdef" but they will never say exactly how things like difficulty levels/green-red-cosmic terminal levels, or boss/doop/chest pops affect drop rates. Almost all conversation involving loot drops is pure speculation based on anecdotal evidence, and a good deal of that is just voodoo backwater tinfoil stuff like people that claim rif does nothing at all. It's important to realize that people that claim to definitively know how RIF/SIF works are generally full of poo poo.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Suprfli6 posted:

Supposedly item drops are a multi roll process, where each item tries to roll from white to green, then to blue, then epic, etc. and it seems like increasing your RIF and then comparing the number of green/blue/epic/cosmic/unique items should show something. It's just that most people concentrate solely on uniques and they are such a tiny drop percentage that trying to eyeball it doesn't accomplish anything.

Well, in very broad, general terms, this is correct. Like every other ARPG, the type of item is determined, and then quality of that item is determined. The idea that green quality shows up more than blue quality shows up more than epic shows up more than cosmic shows up more than unique and increases are seen more visibly at lower loot qualities isnt new or groundbreaking.

Most people concentrate on uniques because A. lower quality loot isnt very important and B. for lower quality loot the trend is more obvious and less open to speculation.

I just dont think you are going to get results that contradict that. In the unlikely event you DO get results that contradict, most people will dismiss it as a small sample size anomaly. Long story short, I dont really see you getting much value out of all that work.

jubelio fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 2, 2014

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I'm at work so I can't try for myself right now. How do builds actually work in this game? Is it like D3 where you can change everything anytime you're not in combat, or do you need to purchase respecs for in game cash/RL cash, or are there none at all?

Respec pots drop rarely, are a quest reward that can be repeated once on each difficulty on each hero, and are also available in the cash shop. They are the only way to change build once you invest points.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

GeckoMissingo posted:

Is a core with life leech extremely rare or something? I don't think I've ever seen one with that affix yet.

They dont drop anymore. Life leech % is a relatively game-breaking affix which they have been nerfing and removing where ever they can. When asked, devs said the reason that LL cores dont drop anymore was that "the loot guy is on vacation." That was back in december or january.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

WarLocke posted:

VVV: I am not totally awake but who is SG? Do you mean Scarlet Witch?

Squirrel Girl

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Artificial additional 'content'

Not a fan.

quote:

Mortal Strike is a boss-only affix and on hit, prevents a hero from healing for two seconds. It’s duration will appear in your Debuff panel on the lower right.

This one is really heavy handed. They couldnt have tested it with like 30% reduced healing?

jubelio fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 3, 2014

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
Just in case people arent upset enough yet:

quote:

Savage Strike - To prevent enemies receiving too many CC immunity stacking effects and therefore making the “good” CC abilities not trigger, Savage Strike no longer has the knock up effect, and it’s based damage has been increased in accordance with removing a short CC.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

nickhimself posted:

..... but it isn't spike damage? It's a debuff that prohibits healing for two seconds. That's all.

The inability to respond to spike damage immediately(via healing) makes spike damage worse. Who wants to take bets on mortal strike not having a cooldown?

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

hahahaha his signature makes the game screen look like a recording, this is so wonderful

This sounds cool. It seems like people are more hyped for TM than most recent heroes. Is this because of the suprise nature of the release, the fact that he is a villain cross over, or that he is beloved in comics, or all 3? I'm not much of a comics guy so I wouldnt know. I guess a 4th option is goons always obsessive compulsive about whatever is new.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
Comixfan successfully trolled

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Pimpmust posted:

rerolling to stick to Midtown

PSA: Dont reroll terminal LQ's

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

Something tells me that Ryolnir's been wanting to do that for a looooooooong time.

Yeah it didnt take much to get that done, just some bad formatting that I have since fixed and just a little bit of time. drat it was a good day.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Dravs posted:

who cares? The only point of Cosmic prestige is for people to wave their dicks in peoples faces about how "hardcore" they are. If they are now having second thoughts after realising it won't be fairies and rainbows then gently caress em, it's not like they didn't have multiple warnings over what they were getting into. Seriously, gently caress em right in the eyeball.

and, to be honest, there are other ways to wave your dick in somebody's face.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

bonds0097 posted:

I think other posters made a good point in that there is no good reason for the game to be punitive, this isn't real life. It doesn't (shouldn't?) affect Player A's enjoyment of the game if Player B is allowed to revert back to Red Prestige at Level 1 if they decided Cosmic Prestige is too grindy for them.

I generally feel like making a dumb decision in a video game should be punished and should have consequences. In practice you see this when someone making dumb gear/skill decisions is negatively affected by having very slow clear/kill times. Now there are a lot of situations where this might not apply, but when you are talking about something meant for "super hardcore epeen to the max gamers" I feel like if you want to get on that level, you need to be able to deal with it. I will happily sit here on red prestige feeling smug in my ability to have self control until I am ready to sacrifice a hero to the yellow firepits.

Does it affect my enjoyment whether or not that individual gets to go back to red? Hell no. Knowing the developers' policy on risk vs reward and their policy on rewarding smart play vs punishing stupid play? absolutely does.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

alansmithee posted:

You revert not to red, but to a special "I wanted to be hardcore epeen pro gamer-man but chickened out" poop brown name. Also you have a .01% chance of being feared on damage to acknowledge your "achievement".

LOL I'm not gonna be too upset no matter how they rule on the situation, but this solution would be the best.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Toshimo posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo and you assholes need to stop giving newbies the worst loving advice.

Dear newbies:
Cube shards have 2 primary uses:
Fortune Card Mk 1: Common drops are boosts (which never hurt) and rare drops (but not unreasonably rare) are costumes. Even if you don't like the costumes, save them up and stick them in the blender for a random costume.
Ghost Box: These contain dogshit, but have a rare chance to drop the Bannertech Accelerator Reciped which is A Real Good Artifact. If you want the recipe, buy a few hundred of these and pray. Otherwise get Fortune Cards.

There are a few other things they get used for (like prestiging), but that'll be a very small portion of the cube shards you get.

Donating them to a vendor for a paltry amount of XP is the dumbest publord suggestion since the dude who was donating his Rainbows because ~I'm a strong, independent Black Widow, who don't need no legendaries.~

Translation for non spergs:

Hey, I think you could use cube shards more effectively by buying fortune cards or even getting ghost boxes for the low chance at a bannertech recipe.

Toshimo, go take yer meds.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Baby Proof posted:

To be more specific, Fortune cards (Mk 1) get you costumes ~1% of the time. I've used about 200 cards, and got 2 costumes, 2 pets, and one cow level recipe.

the best thing about fortune cards is boosts imo. They are the gateway to fast levelling and more loot. Having a large stack of boosts for free is amazing and costumes are just a nice little sideshow to boosts.

Harlock posted:

What is the best thing to donate to vendors? I've just been donating waves of Xdef trash after making my inventory full.

whatever loot you dont want to keep. you can also buy iron buddy pets after you prestige and then donate them to convert credits to donations.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Philosopher King posted:

I'm beign dragged into the game by a friend. Who is more fun, Captain America or Human Torch? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to running doubles? He's cap but I wouldn't mind playing him or torch. Is torch fun to play?

Is there a reason you are limiting yourself to less than 10% of the cast of heroes? Of the two I recommend cap I think but there are other options.

PoultryHammock posted:

No real disadvantage, as much as Gaz keeps trying to push the game in the direction of traditional "MMO", its still plays pretty firmly like a normal ARPG. So run whatever you want, don't worry too much about group interactions (there are hardly any). Cap and Torch play pretty differently too, if I were to give a quick and dirty recommendation without being aware of any of your play preferences I'd say Cap. He's a really good hybrid with lots of flexibility, with Torch you are kinda shoe horned into playing a quick, burst style DPS game, even with his uniques/def skills.

No, I would disagree, there are definitely wrong choices for first hero.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

How the hell do you level up the crafter anyways? He's level 10 and this thing is moving at a snail's pace.

I had all my vendors maxxed at about 1000 hours of in game time. ymmv.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Jedit posted:

Did you leave it a long time before starting? I have everyone maxed except the Weapon Vendor (who is at 19) after less than half that, and half my time recorded is actually idling at the login screen when I leave it open to stop my PC going into hibernation.

Most of my donations came from picking up trash, and I dont even pick up half the trash that drops, so that could be why.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Zelder posted:

I have a couple of questions:

Is there anyway to change your email that is associated with your account?

So I beat the game way back, in it's lovely state, and I've started playing again. Do I get the eternity splinter bonus if I beat Doom again? I'm guessing I won't get it with Spider-Man, because it seems to remember that I did that (based on the fact that I have hard mode unlocked).

I should just message one of the people listed in the OP to get into the guild, right? I demand group identification because I'm too weak to forge my own persona.

Why is Taskmaster so awesome?

One of those may be rhetorical.

You should probably email their support to see if you can change email addresses, I dont think there is an automated way of doing it.

No you dont get a splinter bonus if you already got any type of bonus previously.

Yes email a person in the OP for invites. Alternatively show up in the mumble channel when someone on that list is also in that channel.

Watch this. If you still dont know why taskmaster is cool, you are bad.

All of these answers were rhetorical.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Zelder posted:

So the only way I'll be able to get a new hero (outside of cash shop) is slowly collecting the splinters that drop periodically? Shoot. Seems like an odd punishment for supporting the game right out of the gate, haha.

Tell us more about how you deserve all the free content immediately. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

docbeard posted:

My recollection is that, before there were splinters, they gave out free starter heroes at the points where you now get the 100-splinter bonuses. I know I certainly got one for finishing the prologue back in the day. (I didn't finish the story campaign until they implemented splinters, and got the 100-splinter bonus for that.)

Correct, you would get a random starter token for completing the tutorial level and then another for defeating doom. So you ended up with more heroes that you can get for the current splinter bonus, but the downside was that it was restricted to starters. Free stuff for playing their free game either way.

• Locked thread