Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Of course it doesn't work if you buy Dr. Strange, and you can't get him from it.

And if you were to get Dr. Strange from the random, you are bound by honor to immediately delete the token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

AFFIXES
Some people swear by only adding affixes to level 1 costumes, for math reasons which aren't entirely clear to me and would require more effort than I am willing to put in to explain. MHC has the rundown. In general, if you're not shooting for an optimal, perfectly-min-maxed costume, you'll never have to worry about it.

Love this post, wish it was around when I started playing! However, I just want to mention their is no benefit to rolling affixes on a level 1 costume (despite being a really wide spread concept), the roll is not truncated to the range of the affix at it's current level. The game keeps more precision hidden away. Check this out if you missed it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583020&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=363#post427502935 . Here's the picture that tells the story

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

A.C. posted:

Damage charts in x-def is the best thing ever.

I don't even have a legendary, a single artifact, a runeword, relic, or medallion equipped. Way to go, guys! Especially you, Loki!

Dr. Strange owns, btw.

Did they add this? That's wonderful, I've always hated that there was no way to evaluate yourself in xdef.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

HUMAN FISH posted:

I think it's best to say that it's best to roll costume affixes either at 1 or 60, since then you can check the roll range from the compendium. In the middle you can't realty tell is the roll good or not because there's nothing to compare to.

Oh yeah, for sure, this is very true. It's just that the "smaller range" argument is bunk. The game keeps more precision then it displays allowing for smooth scaling along different level ranges.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Eh, it's fine.
But it's demonstrably false! I showed my work and everything. The level 1 costume "smaller range" thing is just superstition.

Edit: in fact, it also tells you that rolling at 1 is explicitly worse than rolling at 60 since you see less precision and therefore may end up re-rolling a roll that was only infinitesimally less than a roll you would have kept and would have resulted in the same (or atleast an acceptable) value at 60.

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 29, 2014

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

If you can explain to me in small words what you proved and why it matters, okay.

Bear in mind, you have two obstacles to overcome. First, I don't care, and second, I'm retarded.

Ok, here goes! The important idea from the compendium is as follows:

"1) Rolls have a tight range on a lvl 1 costume
2)Upper end rolls are easier to get on a lvl 1 costume"

As an example, let's imagine a roll that at level 1 can only result in a 1, 2 or 3. The range is tight, there are three possible outcomes from your roll. However, at 60 let's say this attribute scales to between 4 and 12. At 60 there are 9 possible outcomes to your roll (4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, or 12). Indeed at level 1, I will get the "max roll" 1 in 3 times where as I will get the max roll 1 in 9 times at level 60 so I will roll the maximum of the smaller range more often. The implication is that if I roll a 3 at level 1, it will scale to the corresponding maximum value at level 60 (a 12) every time. That's how this method would take advantage of this smaller range. This would be a pretty ludicrous way to code the problem and should immediately draw suspicion. Much more likely is that a roll takes place to create a decimal random between 0 and 1 and that number is scaled to fit the range; so if the item is level 1 everything above 0.67 (2/3) is displayed as a roll of 3, everything between 0.33 and 0.67 becomes a 2 and everything lower than 0.33 is a 1. Now when I scale up to 60, I have enough information to do so in a smooth fashion, rolls larger than 8/9 become 12, between 7/9 and 8/9 is 11, between 7/9 and 8/9 is 10, 6/9 through 7/9 is 9, etc. However, all of the results listed would have given a 3 on a level 1 costume.

So the way to distinguish between these two methods is to take something that has the same number at low levels, scale it up, and test to see if the outcome can be different at 60.

In the screenshot above I show three cases where the value at level 1 for the grade 1 affix is identical but when upgraded to level 60 the value is different. What this means is that all of my "max rolls" weren't identical. There wasn't a smaller range, I just couldn't tell the difference between the three rolls because the roll is rounded when the range is smaller. In other words, at level 1 even though all three rolls displayed "+70 crit damage rating", they weren't all the same roll, one would end up giving me 380 crit rating damage, one gave me 381 and the other, the actual highest roll, gave me 382. The range of the roll is not smaller at level, essentially since the range is smaller the rounding is more aggressive.

I'm afraid I typed too much.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Lux Aeterna posted:

Is panther that good? Are pubbies that bad? How excited are you to find out?

I've been thinking about putting together an effort post about this, but I really think you gain almost no information from a damage meter screenshot. Maybe you can gain information comparing individuals in the same exact run I guess, but then you need to know something about how competent the others in that same x-def are.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

LordHippoman posted:

So, I started off with Luke Cage and got Storm free from the gift code, and this game is really good. I've only beaten The Raft, but it has a lot of the stuff I loved in Diablo (and Iron Fist is my favorite Marvel guy), and the story seems fun.

My only complaint would be difficulty. Green Goblin almost never got a chance to attack. Does it ramp up and get harder later, or should I up the difficulty level, and if so, how?

In story mode, not really. You can challenge yourself in other modes though.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
They don't really "go anywhere", parties will typically just jump out of a new xdef and requeue if there's someone else to pick up. Did you say anything? Often times you have to switch zones after changing difficulties in order for the invite to work.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, easy story LQs are great for XP. I tend to reroll any that require zone events or treasure rooms though.

On a similar note, if you get a story LQ that requires item donations and they are the last part of the quest, be sure you donate to a vendor in a story zone (chap 5 weapon vendor, chap 7 crafter, etc). Much more xp than getting the orbs in a hub.

I'd never thought of this, that's a good idea. Also if I need items to donate I just take a crafting mat and break it down a couple times donate them. I'm not sure if still exists, but there used to be an LQ to craft X things... breaking down and building materials worked for that one too.

Edit: for those of you serious levelers who have moleman medallions. Do you just get the lowest level one you can find or what's the best way to do that? A couple at various levels?

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Holy poo poo that Fear Itself Widow is amazing.

Tron widow

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
I take it there's no regret window for sales like the BOGO. I want to buy a character now but I can't bring myself to do it knowing I just missed BOGO.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Suprfli6 posted:

I asked last page but it wasn't answered- How does RIF/SIF work with chests? Should I swap into a RIF gear set before opening cosmic chests or will that not do anything? I know those stats have pretty minor impacts but it can't hurt (unless you believe the marvel forums which have numerous theories about stacking rif/sif actually hurting your drops...)

I guess this was mostly answered before. But I'm sure swapping gear would work (is it worth it? god no.), many people switch characters before the chest and in principal that changes what they receive from the chest so that implies the loot isn't set when the chest spawns. Maybe you could have a SIF/RIF character you just load up if you and switch to if you are looking for all/all stuff and that would be a manageable task.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
Got an email with a new code:

"REDEEM:
Log in and redeem the code: RECRUIT on the Marvel Heroes webpage for your in-game S.H.I.E.L.D Agent Preparedness Kit. (Good for Saturday ONLY.) "

Not sure if that means I need to wait for tomorrow to redeem it or what.

Edit: code works now. Got a retcon and some irridium triple boost stuff

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 4, 2014

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

I know it's easy to rag on pubbies and all, but this game is like the worst for trying to find good info about each characters build.

Yeah but this is pretty much also the pubbies fault. I went to the Jean Grey forum to find a discussion of how to play her after the charge nerfs and basically every discussion is about thigh thickness, or might as well be.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

HUMAN FISH posted:

I did my own tests and posted in http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/82189/cosmic-prestige-is-actually-50-times-longer-not-25-times-as-stated-on-the-tooltip/p4

Turned hero synergies off, same level characters, red Kingpins Warehouse. I killed the three guaranteed mobs at the end of the alleyway.

Results:

40% xp bonus, non-cosmic character: Mobs 10065 xp, orb 5032 xp, boss orb 36921 xp.
50% xp bonus, cosmic character: Mobs 213 xp, orb 107 xp, boss orb 791 xp.

That gives us factors of 47,2x, 47,0x and 46,6x.

Rise to the barricades fellow yellowmans

Yeah this is a nice controlled way to do the test. I don't think there's any way to argue against it, although I'm constantly amazed at the irrational arguments coming out of math/statistics threads.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Bieeardo posted:

The majority of people don't understand math beyond basic operations and their order, and a lot don't even understand that. The majority of people really don't like admitting that they're wrong, especially in 'public', either. From here we get perennial, stupid claims like '1% drop rate means you're guaranteed one within 100 drops', and worse.

A really common one is that "Soandso drops really infrequently therefore doubling the chance for it to drop doesn't change how often it drops, it's still really infrequent".

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Free damage is free damage, and you're not even missing out on other cool stuff because there is no 'other cool stuff' to replace team-ups with.

His point is that he doesn't think it's free, it's coming at the cost of other benefits (either by cost in an item budget or just "padding" an item). For example, the level 5 damage procs on many of these legendaries are totally useless and occupy what is a useful slot on some legendaries.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

WarLocke posted:

He was talking about team-ups, or at least that's the part of the post I was addressing. Your choice there is to use a team-up or not use a team-up, there's nothing 'better' to use instead of their passive procs in the same slot, so you're not 'missing out' on anything - they are literally free damage.

I see, he also mentioned uniques/runewords/legendaries which is the only part I have experience with since I've been ignoring team-ups for now. However, from reading the thread I thought all team-up skills were chosen from a talent grid and so choosing one skill came at the cost of another. I briefly googled trying to find the skills in question but had no luck so I really am not sure about this example, maybe all options are procs with long cooldowns for a given tier.

Edit: oh I see, it's part of the passive. If they are all the same low damage, long cooldown procs no matter choice of team-up then yeah it's a wash.

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 10, 2014

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

jubelio posted:

What doesnt seem underwhelming about this?

Personally I am looking forward to team ups, but I can absolutely sympathize with alan's sentiment. It would be awesome if they replaced the procs with something that had more impact.

I think maybe you didn't mean to quote me, I was just commenting on if you are sacrificing anything to get the underwhelming proc. I agree with the sentiment that procs are pretty boring in this game. In particular I never even notice when they occur and adding buff/debuff notifications would go along way to helping make the game a little more interactive.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
I wish I hadn't preordered all 4 if I only needed 1! I didn't realize they got all generic.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
The fact that this doesn't use phoenix charge for damage (probably the best damage skill in the game at the time) and was posted well before the nerf makes me think he doesn't know what he's doing.

Since the nerf, I don't know what is best, maybe that build maybe not... i haven't watched the whole video and I haven't messed with Jean much since charge got changed.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

alansmithee posted:

That's exactly the kind of situation that causes a number to be missed, or .025 = 1/25th, or all the other random bugs. And getting new stuff out seems to take priority over fixing what's already there

It would have been really interesting if this was the answer to the "cosmic prestige takes longer than 25x thing" but it's actually not, exp is cut by 50x not 40x so I really have no idea how they managed to make it 50x. I'm sure we'll never get to know that but I'd love to know how it happened. My best guess at this point is that originally (internally) it was supposed to be 50x and the hype team and the programming team just never got on the same page.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I can't help you, then. I used the numbers you provided, which you said you produced using your gear using your formula. If you can't make your own numbers agree with each other, I've got nothin'.

I haven't been paying close attention but I think he's just pointing out that you are double counting the +1 skills on the sword. When calculating the benefit of the plus skills for the gloves you get ~1625 from a net plus 5 to skills (6 on the gloves - 1 on the sword). From there you determine the gloves value as 1000:

Toshimo posted:

You listed +4 skills at 1313 DR. That makes each +1 skills ~325 DR.

So, the difference between perfect +6 Gloves and the +1 from Soulsword is ~1625 DR.

1625-210-100-300 = ~1000.

My morning napkin math was a bit off, but it's still in the ballpark.

then when you add up all the benefits of the sword, you include that +1 to skills as ~325 DR equivalent value:

Toshimo posted:

100 Base DR
300 DR Affix
210 DR equiv from +1 Energy
325 DR equiv from +1 Powers (your math)
---
935 DR

but it's already been included when you subtracted it off the top of the gloves. You need to either count the gloves as having their full +6 skills or not count the sword as having it's +1 skills, not both.

Once again, I really just skimmed the conversation so maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 11, 2014

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Toshimo posted:

As to what you are seeing, I think that's because the numbers are for 2 different trees.

You have to add the 325 for the other trees because the sword gives a bonus where the gloves do not.

Basically:
Decimation tree: -5 Powers
Other trees: +1 Powers

Make sense?

But then you are saying (I think) that +1 to all powers has a value of 325 has identical value to adding +1 to the other (more minor, if I understand correctly) trees. A really low effort, coarse approximation would be to estimate what % of your overall damage comes from those two trees and assign a fraction of the overall 325 to that bonus. I think CTH is working under the assumption that the fraction is negligible.

Once again, I'm just trying to clarify a discussion here that I think (or thought) I understood the misunderstanding and haven't thought deeply about the problem, so I could always be mistaken.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Eiffel On You posted:

Double post, but it's so worth it. In other news, TheDink got tore to shreds once again for posting sneak peeks of the new Nightcrawler X-Force costume. Start at Page 8 and watch her break down once again. Big shoutout to my boy Lanying for representing that pubbie love.

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/comment/1056708/#Comment_1056708

I also decided to pile on this and prepare her for that Psylocke praise she will be receiving when the community darling Butt Floss gets that release:

Holy poo poo, I think of myself as a patient person, but I would just lose my mind.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Platypus Farm posted:

I know the big thing is to make fun of forums posters for getting excited about the scantily clad female models, but this poo poo makes me more angry than anything. What the gently caress kind of entitlement issue gives these people the right to personally attack a person for working? If Gazillion is making her post these threads, I hope they stop, and if they make her keep doing it, I hope she quits. No one deserves to put up with that bullshit.

I think they should be forced to start every reply by typing out:

"I know Marvel, the company that creates and curates all material concerning this character, has looked at and approved every detail of what I'm about to scrutinize but..."

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

quote:

Cosmic Prestige is indeed 1/25th of regular experience, but Prestige 6 (Cosmic) was not specifically benefitting from one of the live tuning boosts that we left on many months ago. I believe that level of Prestige was added to the live tuning boost on Friday morning along with the patch to prevent confusion / frustration. (I saw some arguement about this, which are not necessary, both sides are technically "right").

What a stupid loving thing to say. Just every aspect of it. No, there was no partof saying that it wasn't 1/50th that was correct... well you see it's 1/25th of the exp you'd get if you didn't get an invisible, mechanic free normalization. But don't worry, that "arguement" (pointing out that Gaz f'd it out) was not necessary because both sides were right! All that conclusive evidence that showed that what they tried to implement had not happened (and resulted in them fixing it) was for nothing, everyone was right.

They are basically saying "Oh, the people who claimed it IS 25x were right because that's what we intended it to be."

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 14, 2014

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Gaz phrased it how they did to be clear they're not bad at math, just the regular kind of dumb.

I'm happy to know the cause, I was really curious about it and I don't think the whole bad at math thing ended up playing out (it clearly wasn't the 0.025 thing that someone suggested, although that was an interesting thought). It just annoys me that people actually noticed it, designed really nice well controlled experiments, posted those experiments, had pubbies come up with the most illogical arguments why 25x was "right", have people do more controls to show these arguments false and then have gaz say "No, you were both right, there was no reason to have that thread at all!" It's just a lovely way to support the people who really did way more work than they had to do to hunt down a pretty insidious bug.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

jubelio posted:

you need to add another affix: unaffected by hidden live tuning boosts.

RIF works fine, of course it is affected by a hidden live tuning boost that multiplies the effects by 0. So everyones right and there's no reason to talk about it.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
visual effect: Induces vomiting

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Eiffel On You posted:

Max Savage Beatdown? Basics are for basic builds. You can't bring that to square and expect domination. Might as well max Business Is Good for "damage purposes" with that logic.

Oddly enough, this worked in Xdef as far as damage meters were concerned!

Also, post you build please.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Bloodly posted:

With what? There's nothing anyone wants that is actually tradable.

A blessing.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Doomsaw is offering to log people in on Saturday if they really can't make it on Saturday. First he buys raccoon clothes for an autistic idiot, now this. What a dev team.

Why don't they just give it to you regardless if you log in. Or if you log in anytime that week or...

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
Can they just handle difficulty differences gracefully instead of trying to resolve a bug in a dumb system. There's really only one solution so why give the player the option, just switch it for the player. Better yet, forget the idea that the whole party needs to be in the same difficulty, if the party goes to story mode just stick them in whatever difficulty they are set to. Give a "you can not go there" error if they try to teleport to a difficulty mode they don't have unlocked.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
First off, don't spend splinters on molecules. You should be able to get them from MM.

Second, the mechanic is that each stat is scaled up to its level 60 equivalent, not rerolled. As far as I can tell all rolls have a hidden roll with more precision used to scale up and down smoothly. That being said, if you like the character and play it you will get many many copies of any given unique so unless you have a strong inkling that this particular one is really well rolled already, just hang onto your money/molecules and use the low level ones to grind to a new random unique for free.

Edit: I don't mean to come off authoritarian here, just my thoughts and experiences.

VV Oh yes, agreed there. I just upgraded a pair of doc arms actually... the only thing I've ever upgraded.

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 17, 2014

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

I submitted a bad idea here: https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/comment/1071471#Comment_1071471

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Hahahahaha why? Why would you need Enemies on Minimap?

I was trying to think of a nice way to put this. I remember when I first played through and got my first SMT I thought it was an affix I couldn't live without, but once you've played through once it's pretty unnecessary.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
Are these uniques very good for anyone? I'm guessing they aren't BIS for anyone, but in the off chance they are I'd like to spend my eggs on that now and not spend my time wishing I had one later. I guess I'll buy a suit for my credit find character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
When I started my policy was to just let any character keep the Lemuria they found. Perhaps a better way to do it, though, would have been to just have one stack that I transfered from character to character. Unbinding relics is super cheap. At this point everyone I play has ~10 and I have a "leveling stack" of 50ish that I switch around. I believe the retuns scaling on these is logarithmic so really it's not very important to try and collect a whole bunch of them.

• Locked thread