Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I have a laptop that's four or five years old. Last time I played this it was a drat good PowerPoint presentation of how I remember the cars from Carmageddon 2 looking when I was a kid.

I know there was talk of a console release at some point - I assume that's dead in the water now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

They still want to make console versions, but the main priority right now is to unfuck the PC release. I wouldn't expect to see the PS4 and Bone ports anytime soon.

This is the amount of gore Carmageddon deserves. :unsmigghh:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

This is the game we should have gotten at launch. I mean, I still have some gripes regarding gameplay stuff (why are these cars still so fragile and unable to reach 300 mph like in Carmageddon 2 dammit :sassargh:),

Just played a bit and this is still my problem. It just doesn't feel like that fast mayhem I really enjoyed in Carma 2. I feel like I get wrecked so easily and my credits will be in the negatives for like 70% of the match, conversely, smashing up my opponents doesn't feel very satisfying, either they're super resilient, and i need powerups to take them down, or they wreck easily and in an unsatisfying way. I don't know if it's the AI, or the maps, or what, but it just feels so hard to get good crashes. Well, the cars all fish tailing like mad and handling like they're on ice doesn't exactly help either because it makes it really hard to line up.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Can you turn cars into compacts, split them and/or bend them into bananas? That was my favorite things in Carma 2.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Poil posted:

Can you turn cars into compacts, split them and/or bend them into bananas? That was my favorite things in Carma 2.
Yes, not yet (supposed to be coming in an update later), yes. You also have a "stretch goal" pickup which turns cars into dongmobiles, double-deckers or super-wide slabs of metal depending on which axis is affected.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Started playing this again tonight, the level load times are still a bit on the high side but once you're in game the performance is great. Also holy poo poo the Su(b)pressor is still overpowered as hell.

That's a level 15 career game cleared in under 2m. At least one of my kills was from someone running into me.

Poil posted:

Cars deform like the old Carmageddon games but it seems like the wheels pop off at the earliest opportunity. By the time you've bent up an AI car, you've probably also knocked the wheels off, so that car is effectively dead.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 30, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
yeah the game definitely feels playable on my GTX 760, I'm really thinking about doing more benchmarks than "feel" but overall the framerate stays around 50 fps most of the time, more than that if you're not looking at a lot of stuff.

Problem is, I have a second GTX 760 and SLI so far just won't work, at all. I tried:
- changing the SLI compatibility bit (to 0x0C1902F5) and also
- "forcing alternating rendering 2" on the control panel
as per internet instructions and both things did nada. I know this because I watch how much load there is in each card and one of them stayed squarely on zero the whole time.

Another thing that won't work is 3D, shadows are all wrong and my framerate goes down to single digits if I try to use it.

program666 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 30, 2015

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'll give this another shot. I really enjoyed my time in the beta but I was bummed out by the lack of optimisation for the final launch, very eager to try it above 15fps!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I just wish there was a way to wipe your progress and start over. I finished the career while it was still in EA, and I'd like to go back and replay the finished product.

Edit: Holy crap I booted it up anyway just to see and now there are save slots so I can start a new game! Gonna get my Carma on.

2nd edit: Holy poo poo this game looks way better now. The new car models are awesome. Still kinda slippery handling though. Still, this happened -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAzYVOMD8ck

Last kill of the game. :v:

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 30, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A bunch of problems people are not talking about too much in this thread:
- the world flickers around you sometimes, and when playing around with the playback feature you see a lot of stuff being rendered wrong depending of the angle of the camera, for example, sometimes stuff won't render from a few feet away onwards but you change the angle of the camera slightly and it fixes itself, not a big deal since none of this will affect gameplay
- the playback feature won't record videos, you'll have to use shadowplay or something else for that, all you have is a button to make the UI disappear so you can play the scene from the camera angle of your choice, but for a sequence with multiple camera angles you'll have to basically play and record the scene multiple times and edit them later
- the way the car handles is like something I've never seen before: when you're slow it seems like the it won't turn enough and you'll constantly find yourself forcing the analog stick to go beyond it's limits, but when you're fast the smallest provocation makes your car slide insanely. It's awful, really really bad. But that's Max's car, I got another one that feels a bit better (Ed's car) so maybe it's more a matter of upgrading and changing cars? It's a really really badly design feature if that's the case.
- it feels really really slow, mario 64 give you a better sense of speed than this game, and since carma is more like a platformer than a racing game it's not only an apt comparison but also not really a big deal

You would think that these last complaints would drive me (lol) away from the game but I guess what happens here is that the game is way too nostalgic for me I guess, not only because of carmageddon but also all the nineties style that permeates this game. Playing around with the physics, like when you ramp on just the right angle so you will hit the wall in such a way that your car will fall back on the course already facing a certain direction, etc. All of it despite of my complains above about the way the car turns, so maybe they actually did something right? It's way too engrossing for me and it's the kind of thing that I never feel in modern games.

TL;DR - I would recommend this game if you can put up with a bunch a bullshit to feel a bit of 90's goodness

program666 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 30, 2015

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Performance is hugely improved, ramped all the graphics up and it runs smoothly enough on my aging 760GTX. It's well on its way to being the Carmageddon game my 14 year old self always dreamed of playing, I still can't get over how much I love the new car designs.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I really don't have a problem with the handling for the most part, I'm powersliding around corners and into random passersby like a champ and it all feels pretty nice. Of course, I'm :finland: so I'm basically a professional rally driver. The only car I really find to be a handful is the Hawk-R, which requires an insanely light touch if you don't want it to fishtail all over the place.

program666 posted:

- it feels really really slow, mario 64 give you a better sense of speed than this game, and since carma is more like a platformer than a racing game it's not only an apt comparison but also not really a big deal
Yeah, the cars are just way too drat slow in this one. A fully upgraded Hawk-R does 260 km/h or so, which is about the same as the unupgraded default cars in Carma 1 and 2. I don't understand why this is the case. Also, I wouldn't really call Carmageddon a platformer by any means (Carmageddon 2 tried that in some of the mission events, and it worked just as well as you'd expect :shepicide:); sure it has some ramps and stuff you can mess around with, but that's optional and at its core it's still a demolition derby game. Definitely not a racing game either.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

What are you using to drive? Normal 360 controller?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Right now I'm using the DualShock 4, although I've also used the normal 360 controller and the Xbone controller (basically, whichever happens to be plugged into the computer at the moment) and never had any huge issues controlling the cars. Carmageddon obviously isn't a hardcore driving sim or anything like that, but the handling is a lot more involved than other car combat games like Twisted Metal. General driving game skills should carry over to this game quite nicely.

Reincarnation's handling is actually more responsive than the previous Carma games. In those, sliding basically meant you were spinning off and there was nothing you could do about it, but here you actually have control over the slides and can avoid spinning out if you correct your steering and slow down a little. Even when you do spin, you can usually do a 360 and get right back to where you were going. Really, you can do a lot of cool stuff if you're good at driving these cars.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I play Sonic and Mario karts regularly, this handling is profoundly bad, but you do get used to it

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I was talking about the semi-realistic driving games like Forza and GT (or even sims like Grand Prix Legends, which taught me all kinds of things about controlled drifting in a car that has way too much power and no grip), but whatever. :v: I love Mario Kart too.

Honestly though, I still won't agree that the handling in Reincarnation is bad, at least not for a demo derby/banger racing type game this is. Of course I'm also one of those weirdos who loved the driving in GTA IV, so I might just be a horrible broken person. :downs:

edit: if you haven't tried the Caddy Fat Cat or the not-DeLorean (DeGoryun) in C:R, give them a shot. They're a bit slower than the Eagle, but also a lot heavier and able to take more punishment. The Crazor is good as well.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 30, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I love handing in gta 4 too

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Got this today been having a blast. Feels somewhere between carma 1 and carma 2 to me gameplay-wise.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jose Mengelez posted:

Got this today been having a blast. Feels somewhere between carma 1 and carma 2 to me gameplay-wise.

As of Update 2 (maybe Update 1, I didn't play), this is a solid buy now. The thread has turned from 'this loving game runs at 10fps on my Haswell-E tri-Titan system' to 'I feel like the handling could be a bit better.'

program666
Aug 22, 2013

OK, you definitely get used to the handling, but now that I'm used to the game I wonder if my initial problems were caused by my two front wheels falling. When even a single of the front wheels fall or get damaged, handling gets worse, which is cool in theory but I'm now way too used to just keep double-pressing the fix button all the time.

Having unlocked all of the stages, even if I didn't play all the levels, I have to say that I really like this game. It does have some flaws but running it on a single 760 GTX have been ok for the most part, even if the framerate varies between 90 and 45 fpses on a regular basis. The new game modes are awesome and I just think they should have a racing mode where you can't get laps by hitting the NPCs, so you actually have to make all the laps, even if it's not this game's forte. The game only crashed once I think, while I was tinkering with it, but after I was done testing it never crashed again. Really good game, worthy successor.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I really like how the tire and wheel damage affects handling, but I wouldn't mind if the wheels were a bit more durable. Trying to wreck Val is annoying as poo poo, because your wheels fall off the instant you get anywhere near her car. :argh:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I want to like this game more but the camera is pissing me off. Any way to make it flip between forward/reverse instantly without the camera moving? Also is there any way to look downward? Blood on the Rooftops specifically has a bunch of long downhill roads that I can't really do anything on because my car blocks my forward view.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Fun little thing I noticed about the "kill 100 peds in Ped Chase" achievement: stealing kills from opponents doesn't count, you actually have to hunt down 100 peds in that mode. I'm at 21 right now. :eng99:

Stealing points seems to work for other achievements, so I don't know what the deal with this one is.

edit: actually I might be mistaken, because according to Steam this is the achievement I'm closest to getting. The in-game stats page definitely doesn't count stolen kills in your total, though.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 23, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Bought this today and I'm having fun. It looks nice and seems to run with no issues for so far.

I just wish I could control the cars enough to turn corners or swing round to hit enemies. :(

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 26, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Geokinesis posted:

I just wish I could control the cars enough to turn corners or swing round to hit enemies. :(
I'd love to give you advice, but driving these cars just comes so naturally to me (about 500 hours of Carmageddon 2 over the last sixteen years probably helped) that I just don't know what to say. Err, just remember that this isn't Twisted Metal and you actually have to feather the throttle and brakes to get through tighter turns.:shobon:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

I'd love to give you advice, but driving these cars just comes so naturally to me (about 500 hours of Carmageddon 2 over the last sixteen years probably helped) that I just don't know what to say. Err, just remember that this isn't Twisted Metal and you actually have to feather the throttle and brakes to get through tighter turns.:shobon:

Excuse me I definitely remember playing the first two games as a young teen and never letting go of the accelerator! :v:

Val Hella's car really just ruins the other cars wheels and makes it easy to cripple them and just go off exploring, having said that I wish there was some way to see where the remaining peds were on a level.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Geokinesis posted:

Excuse me I definitely remember playing the first two games as a young teen and never letting go of the accelerator! :v:
I take it you didn't finish the timed missions in Carma 2 then :v:

There is a "show peds on map" powerup, but it's really rare for some reason and doesn't even get saved in the powerup instant selector when you find it, so you can't buy it. At least that's how it was a few builds ago, they may have changed that since then.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

There is a "show peds on map" powerup, but it's really rare for some reason and doesn't even get saved in the powerup instant selector when you find it, so you can't buy it. At least that's how it was a few builds ago, they may have changed that since then.

Did those missions involve smashing the cars and laughing at crude sexual innuendo, if so I say I did with flying colours!

Argh, I was 2 peds short on the Island with the fracking company in the middle but I just couldn't find them. Can they be out of bounds as I saw some powerups that were out of bounds on a thin rail in the ocean.
I don't really get the instant selector thing. I mean by the time I've got money the other cars are screwed anyway, although having constant access to pinball mode would be fun.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Geokinesis posted:

Did those missions involve smashing the cars and laughing at crude sexual innuendo, if so I say I did with flying colours!
No. Well, you did get to smash cars and peds in some of them, but for the most part they involved really strict time limits, precision driving and precision platforming. I can understand if you've blocked the missions out of your memory, people hated them so much that the game's lead designer later apologized for them.

I'm pretty sure all the peds on the island map are in the main part of the level, although I remember having some trouble finding the last two or three guys as well. I think I lucked out by finding pinball mode or something.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

No. Well, you did get to smash cars and peds in some of them, but for the most part they involved really strict time limits, precision driving and precision platforming. I can understand if you've blocked the missions out of your memory, people hated them so much that the game's lead designer later apologized for them.

I'm pretty sure all the peds on the island map are in the main part of the level, although I remember having some trouble finding the last two or three guys as well. I think I lucked out by finding pinball mode or something.

Oh god, no I don't remember that and it sounds terrible.

Hmm I'll probably give it another go at some point with suicidal peds & pinball mode on the selector to make it easier.

Is there a list of what each pickup does as stuff like the 'ave a banana ray doesn't really explain itself?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Lots of items are just to cause some damage to the other cars with some funny effect, ave banana is one of them

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

program666 posted:

Lots of items are just to cause some damage to the other cars with some funny effect, ave banana is one of them

Yeah I actually got it used on myself and my car deformed into a banana shape, I'd just never seen an opponent survive it!

Also I like the ped power ups:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZnZF2pUb8c

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyM5uV-6PXo

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm liking both these cars a lot. The King Merc (it'll always be King Merc to me, even if they're calling it Blitzkrieger) wrecks the absolute poo poo out of the opponents and sounds fantastic (it sounds like a tank, with the treads making the clanking noises and everything), although it also handles like a tank so it's not the most maneuverable thing around. The Shredlight, on the other hand, pretty much handles nothing like a Carmageddon car -- it's snappy, responsive and almost never fishtails. It's almost too responsive, but it's got so much grip that you can do a bunch of small corrections without spinning out. Of course, since it's a sports car and very light, using it in any of the later races is suicide. Still, it's probably the best-looking car they've made so far, and sounds great as well.

I really wish they'd go back to the old games' system (well, mainly Carma 2's) where you didn't need to switch to the killdozer vehicles to get through the game. Let me upgrade my 50s Ferrari with so much armor and offense that it can take out a dump truck, please.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 23, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doc Morbid posted:

I can't speak for that other guy but no, no I didn't. LAPMYLOVEPUMP and then mash the checkpoint/objective completion button until the challenge is over and then onto the next tier, thank you very much. That didn't work on every challenge though, sometimes you had to just disable the timer and hope that you completed the challenge sometime before you lost your will to live. That loving airport challenge where you have to ramp your car into the control tower windows...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

King Vidiot posted:

I can't speak for that other guy but no, no I didn't. LAPMYLOVEPUMP and then mash the checkpoint/objective completion button until the challenge is over and then onto the next tier, thank you very much. That didn't work on every challenge though, sometimes you had to just disable the timer and hope that you completed the challenge sometime before you lost your will to live. That loving airport challenge where you have to ramp your car into the control tower windows...
Provided that you've played the level a million times and memorized where the nearest electro-bastard ray is (and knew that it didn't change into a credits pickup like most powerups do during the missions), the airport mission is one of the easier ones.

I had far more problems with the mission on the aircraft carrier, where you need to jump to the bridge and kill the admiral. That, and the final mission which is just evil.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Just got this game in the steam sale and it runs pretty good on my old phenom x4 / ati 5770. Pleasantly suprised about that, and drat this game has the best car handling of all the Carmageddon's :O

Very nice

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Fired up this game two days ago for no good reason only to discover my save file had been nuked by some patch at some point. Welp so much for Carmageddon.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Fired up this game two days ago for no good reason only to discover my save file had been nuked by some patch at some point. Welp so much for Carmageddon.

Maybe because the game changed so much that my previous impressions are completely different now. If it's been a while since you played you should just enjoy it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The last time I played it was after it was officially "released" so if they made saves incompatible since then holy lol that's loving terrible.

• Locked thread