Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Ah yes, I'm mixing up the venerable nobby with some freakish elf creature or cast member of Biker Grove, depending on your niche British TV preference.

My favourite part of all this so far (other than you know, Carmageddon skidding back in to our hearts) was seeing Nobby and his wife having a congratulatory glass of champagne when they hit the Kickstarter goal. Such a normal looking 40something couple, one of whom is responsible for the glorious tabloid baiting massacre that is Carmageddon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GikzF1KpgY

Nobby and Sim showing off some stuff from the next patch. I can't wait to see the new Bleak City.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

gently caress yes, the Electric Blue :science:

Love how the electro-bastard ray now blows up the pedestrians, it always felt a bit wimpy in the older games even though the BZZZZT sound effect was quite satisfying.

edit: I actually kinda like the untextured black Annihilator, it has that Batmobile look to it. Looks to be completely impossible to control, though, thanks to the built-in Hot Rod powerup.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 1, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

twitter posted:

There will be an update to #Carmageddon: Reincarnation this week! Join us on Twitch Wednesday, 5pm BST for more! http://twitch.tv/carmageddon

:woop:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I missed the stream because I'm dumb, but the update is live and it's a right fat bastard weighing in at 13.3 GB. Let's see what we have here...

"nobby posted:

Hey Hey HEY there Carmafans, nobby here!

As promised, this week is SignificUnt Update Week! And what a PILE of stuff we’ve got for y’all! Below is a list of all the notable THINGS that will be in the Update, plus some handy hints and explanations about what the new things actually DO! And remember to tune in to our Wednesday TWITCH Broadcast from Brand’s Hutch at Stainless, as Sim and I will be demoing lots of stuff over the course of our two hour show, which starts at 5pm BST.

PERFORMANCE RELATED CHANGES IN THE NEW BUILD

The game has a better frame rate in full screen. Reduce your screen resolution to improve performance.
We default to the LOW Graphics quality setting in the new Visual Options screen. Lowering this setting is the first thing you should try if your performance is not suitable.
Once you have set the Graphics quality setting to something that is approximately correct for your PC we suggest you use some of the Advanced options to further tune the look and performance of the game depending on your PC setup.
Post Processing, Shadows, Dynamic Cube Mapping, Virtual Textures and Ambient Occlusion are big performance hitters.
The new sliders for World Distance, Accessory Distance, Ped Distance and Vehicle Distance can all have dramatic effects on game performance. We suggest you try each one, see what affect it has in the game and experiment with getting a balance between visual niceties and a playable frame rate.
You will find that these sliders can be adjusted on per-level basis depending on how the level has been built, how large it is and the sort of viewing distance required.
On the Low setting and turning off VT’s, Shadows, Ambient Occlusion, Post Processing and Cube mapping we have been able to achieve a 30fps+ gameplay experience on nearly all levels using the following PC setup:
i3 @ 2.9Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1Gb AMD HD 5700 series video card. Chopping Maul is our largest level yet and this level will have worse performance than the others.

Please be aware that this is just the beginning of our performance optimisations. We expect to see a lot more happen over time as more content is implemented and we find out the best ways to render the game to screen for different PC setups.

Post Processing is in early stages and as such the visuals in game when they are switched on have not been set to final.

Virtual Textures have been implemented and are included in the build. They are switched off by default as (currently) they can have a detrimental effect on performance, especially on lower spec PCs. If you have a good rig we suggest you try them and see how they work. We would love to receive feedback about how they are working on your PC. Please include output from DXDiag with any reports. (See HERE for how to generate the DXDiag file.)

Multi-threaded Damage is switched off by default. This was a late addition to the game and hasn’t received much testing. It should provide a performance boost but as it is untested we expect there to be some dodgy results. You can help us by reporting bugs you see with this switched on. If you can try to replicate any bugs with it switched off and on before reporting the issue that would be fabulous.

Here is a more detailed breakdown for what each of the graphical settings do:

Full Screen
This options allows you to choose whether to have the game take up the whole screen to itself or to be in a window where you can also see other applications.

Aspect Ratio
This determines the choice of resolution. Normally you should stick to the native aspect ratio of your monitor or else the game will look squashed.

Resolution
Lower resolutions will give you higher performance but lower visual detail.

Graphics Quality
Use this option to set appropriate values for all the visual options based on the level you choose – Ultra Low, Very Low, Low, Medium, High, Ultra High and Custom. This is the quick way to set a “sensible” set of values for the spec of PC you own. Once set, you can then further tweak the resultant values up or down, see how it effects performance versus visual quality.

Refresh Rate
The rate at which you monitor redraws the screen. Normally you should stick to the native refresh rate of your monitor (LCD/LED are generally 60hz).

V-sync
If this is turned off, the game will run as fast as possible but there is chance you will see screen tearing. If this is turned on, the frame rate of the game will be limited to your refresh rate.

Post Processing
This impacts all of the subtle effects that change the look of the game before it is finally presented to you. Turn it off to see the game in its jaggy raw state with no bloom, motion blur, tone mapping or anti-aliasing. The effects haven’t been tuned yet and so currently won’t provide the correct look for the game yet.

Anti Aliasing
Turning this on makes everything look smoother and less jaggy.

Particle Effect Quality
This affects the density and complexity of the special effects such as smoke, fire and gushing blood.

Car Reflection Quality
This affects the level of detail and update rate of the dynamic cube maps that are used to draw a reflection on shiny cars.

Shadow Quality
Turning this up will improve the detail and accuracy of the shadows in the game at the expense of performance.

Image Quality
This affects the level of detail you'll see on all the cars, peds and accessories. High settings look best but hit performance and require more video memory.

View Distance
This determines how far away from the camera things are still drawn. Setting it higher costs in performance but lets you see detail further into the distance.

Ambient Occlusion
Emulates shadowing of ambient light. It can be turned off to improve performance.

Headlight Shadows
Options for which cars produce shadows from their headlights. Turning this on will give a better visual experience, but a cost in performance.

World Distance Culling
The distance at which objects become visible in the game. Setting it higher costs in performance but lets you see more of the world further into the distance.

Accessory Distance Culling
The distance at which accessories become visible in the game. Setting it higher costs in performance but lets you see accessories further into the distance.

Ped Distance Culling
The distance at which pedestrians become visible in the game. Setting it higher costs in performance but lets you see peds further into the distance.

Vehicle Distance Culling
The distance at which vehicles become visible in the game. Setting it higher costs in performance but lets you see vehicles further into the distance.

Shadows
This allows shadows to be on or off. Turning them on will give a better visual experience, but will cost in performance.

Shadow Culling Factor
Removes objects from the shadows based on their size. Higher numbers reduces shadow quality, but improves performance. (i.e. opposite behaviour to the culling distances).

Skid Marks
This setting will determine which cars produce skid marks, turning this on for more cars will cost performance.

Multi Threaded Crushing
This setting will speed up the crushing calculations, but at present is a bit buggy. Turning this on should improve performance (or crash).

Virtual Textures
This setting will allow texture streaming, which will improve the visual experience. Turning this on will cost in performance.

NEW FEATURES

New Environments:

Bleak City
Environment Updates:

Dusty Trails
Now populated with more PUps and accessories
Level geometry and texture tweaks and updates
MagNuChem
Now populated with more PUps and accessories
Rig Wreck
New Cars:

Electric Blue – complete with “Electro Bastard Ray” (ped reaction and visual effects not done yet – in the meantime, the ray insta-gibs ‘em!)
The Plow – not textured yet
Annihilator – complete with permanent “Hot Rod”, but also not textured yet
Car Updates:

CU:NT Cop car textured and specs tweaked for game play
General game play tweaks, adjustments and fixes to all cars
Front End updates:

Improvements to the Wrecks Gallery and Garage
New Visual Options to tweak to increase performance
General bug fixes and improvements
In-Game updates:

Performance and Stability Improvements
More Ped animations
More new Peds
New Pups
Electro Bastard Ray
Peds on Map
Mine making GBS threads Ability
Afterburner
Fast Bleedout
Opponent Stinger
Ped Detonator
Water splashes
Minimap and Map tweaks
PIS tweaks
Additional audio and audio tweaks and improvements
Action Replay tweaks and improvements
Things We Broke:
The Eagle R’s damage texture is currently “horrible”.

Well, that’s all folks! We’ll let you know the exact time that the Update will be going live on the Twitch broadcast tomorrow - so, Turn On, Tune In and…

Nob Out!

EDITED! Wednesday 7th May 2014. Adding extra notes following a "Release Candidate Review".

Some stuff that became clear in the review, that it's important to pass on to Players.

To ensure that any change to the graphics is properly applied, we highly recommend you do it from the main menu, rather than in the game. Especially if you change the "Master" settings (High, Medium, Low etc.). But just as a general rule, to avoid unexpected behaviour, Abort your current game, go to the Options menu in the FE, and make any changes to the Visual Settings from there.
Clipping is still occurring in the Countryslide levle, when the visual settings are put to Very High. This is likely to be because the "far clip" has been set wrongly. By an artist. Naughty Artist.
The Visual Settings are ALL pre-alpha, and so there are likely (almost certain) to be bugs. Please let us know in the usual way.
The "Shadow Culling Factor" slider works counter-intuitively - because lower is better, it means that currently (unlike all the other sliders) you move it to the LEFT for better quality shadows. Bloody programmers.
:getin:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Bleak Fuckin City. Hope the stadium is in.

edit: 13 fuckin gigs!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 7, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I didn't find the football stadium in Bleak City, but aside from that the level is packed with stuff and places to explore. It's also horrendously unoptimized, and I had to drop my resolution to 720p and most visual options down in order to get anything resembling a playable frame rate.

That said, the Countryslide level runs extremely well at 720p and medium to high graphics, and it finally has powerups. :getin: Including a ped repulsificator in the cow pit:

The combination of a big ramp, lunar gravity and spinnertron yielded some interesting results:

Pinball mode also works as intended now:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
A tribute to Russ, who is dead :rip:

Getting on rooftops is a little tricky but doable

And then things stopped being physics'd and I crashed super hard.

Bleak City is buggy as gently caress but fun to explore, I started accelerating out of control a few times and I ultimately crashed before I was finished snooping about. No Stadium in this map, Nobby said this is City A and City B is coming. This map takes like 6 years to load btw.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

It loads much, much faster with the virtual textures enabled. Of course, those will also slow the game down because they haven't been optimized, but the only time I tried running Bleak City without the VTs turned on it loaded for ten minutes and then crashed. :v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Best part of the stream today

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I love Carmageddon so much I backed this and thus I have a copy to give away!

It includes the following: DRM-free final builds, beta, Steam key, VIP DLC Steam key (when available), Red Eagle Car Model Steam key (when available)

It's on humble bundle so you need an account. First one to quote this will get it via PM or email, you pick.

Skulleye
Jul 31, 2004

Overbite posted:

It includes the following: DRM-free final builds, beta, Steam key, VIP DLC Steam key (when available), Red Eagle Car Model Steam key (when available)

It's on humble bundle so you need an account. First one to quote this will get it via PM or email, you pick.

Wow, you are awesome!

Thank you so much :-)

Skulleye fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 7, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Here's today's stream for those of us who missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1BolrmaF50

Looks like the city level runs like poo poo for them as well, even with the graphics turned way down.

edit: I just tried it on medium-ish settings at 1080p with the virtual textures off, and it's quite playable now. Just takes forever to load.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 8, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I just noticed the last patch changed the "I WAS IN THE WAR" voice clip for the old ladies! It now sounds slightly less like (although probably still is) nobby mumbling in falsetto. Game ruined, preorder cancelled, etc. (edit: actually it might still be the same clip, I'm not 100% sure)

At least the amazing cow sounds are still intact. I always loved the ridiculously :effort: animal noises in the old games, especially the boars in Splat Pack.

edit: what do you mean my car doesn't pass inspection, it's perfectly driveable

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 20, 2014

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I hope bringing back Der Porker is in their plans. :godwinning:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Just a reminder for anyone who cares (and for myself so I don't forget it again), this week's stream featuring nobby and Sim is starting in 25 minutes or so (5 PM BST) at http://www.twitch.tv/carmageddon. I wonder if they have anything new to show us this week.

Hatman101
Sep 28, 2006
My Cubans!

Overbite posted:

I'm offering the same thing but it'll have to be email as I don't have PMs. First to quote gets it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Stream is live! Douglas is there!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Some insane people have modded the Carma 2 airport and all Carma 1 levels into Reincarnation :staredog:

Don't know how well the Carma 1 levels work, but there they were in the menu.

edit: The old Maim Street is completely playable, the textures are pretty wonky at the moment because they were directly imported from Carma 1 iOS and haven't been fiddled with yet.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 14, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hatman101 posted:

I'm offering the same thing but it'll have to be email as I don't have PMs. First to quote gets it.

No one else? I'll take it, but I already have the game. I'm going to re-gift it, if that's alright. Or you can wait for someone to quote you who doesn't have the game yet.

IUG fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 15, 2014

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Hatman101 posted:

I'd like to get this, if I can. qres80 at yahoo dot com

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Q_res posted:

I'd like to get this, if I can.

I just forwarded it to you as I didn't have anyone in mind right away. So you have fun with Hatman101's gift!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

That was pretty cool of you, so thank you to both of you guys.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Latest stream has been recorded and uploaded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zixws-o3jj4

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm really impressed by the modding work already. Yeah, those imported Carma 1 levels look lovely right now because the textures need to be fixed up, but the game is in pre-alpha and we already have playable versions of all those original levels. That is loving amazing.

I'm certain it's only a matter of time until the community mods every single old Carmageddon level and vehicle into Reincarnation, and if CarMODgeddon turns out half as good as nobby is saying, this game won't be running out of new content for years. Works for me. :getin:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, I felt like I shouldn't let this rot in my backlog considering how I got it. So I played it a little bit yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it for what it is. I don't have the nostalgia for the old titles like some of you (I've never played them) but I still found what's there to be pretty entertaining.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

New gameplay trailer, showing off Bleak City:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFoc9qNp78Q

I assume this is what HDTanel was working on in the background during last week's stream. Personally I'd have waited until the level was a bit more optimized before making the trailer, but it's still pretty well made and does a good job showing all the carnage and damage and general mayhem.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
About ten minutes into this weeks stream. Multiplayer and Tashita in the next build!

Fox and Hound, Deathrace and another mode in next build, no idea what that means!

http://www.twitch.tv/carmageddon

Edit: nobby answered me :3:
Checkpoint scramble spawns a random checkpoint on the level you all have to hoof it to for points, if you wastes someoen you get some of theirs.
Fox and Hound is one car is the fox and everyone hunts them.
Deathrace, you race!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 21, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

That golden Eagle mod is awesome. :whatup: Here's a link, also has a bunch of other colors: http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/27002 I know what color I'll be using.

edit: Of course someone made a nude pedestrian mod. Never change, internet.

e2: in less horrible mod news, the textures in the Carma 1 levels have been mostly sorted out and they no longer look like a horrible blurry mess (still some jankiness here and there, but they're much better than what we saw on the stream last week):

Also, picking up pinball mode in a places like this cave can have some interesting effects:

(had to recover to get out of the ground there)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 22, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

This week's stream just started, they seem to be playing the new build that has all kinds of cool new stuff including new race routes and cars (Tashita and Volkswrecker have been added and neither one has textures at the moment).

http://www.twitch.tv/carmageddon

edit: THE BEAR! :ussr::tbear: Also without textures right now.

Sumo map :getin:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 28, 2014

AlMightyBawb
Jun 1, 2009
This thing is looking great! Multiplayer next week will be sweet.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

According to nobby, the new update is hitting next Thursday (June 5th). No word on whether the currently untextured cars like Tashita will have textures by then, but the most important things are that 1) next week we'll be playing the poo poo out of multiplayer mode (multiplayer Death Race sounds like the best thing, looking forward to letting you guys get a look at the tail lights of my Eagle :getin:) and 2) the performance is supposed to be much, much better than it is in the current build.

Unrelated screenshot:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Multiplayer is broke beyond 4 players so it'll be limited to that for a while. Also... uh I thought the update was out tomorrow?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

It was supposed to be, yeah. They've been having some technical problems with the multiplayer so the update is being delayed until next week.

nobby posted:

Okay guys - a pre-Twitch announcement, as per last week, and unfortunately sounding somewhat like a broken record... But I want to let y'all know before you commit to two hours of Twitch fun when you could be de-fleaing the cat or mowing the lawn, or taking in a West End show... NO MP RELEASE THIS WEEK. :(

Currently the Multiplayer is still getting extensive bug fixing and testing. And right now it will only support 4 players and no peds. In fact, the way things are looking the Update (when it does go live - currently this is pushed to next week, and that depends on testing it thoroughly and not finding significant additional bugs) will have to be limited to 4 (possibly 6) player MP with no peds.

I'll repeat this on the Chat later on, before we start - just so we aren't wasting anyone's time..!

Oh well, I'll live. I GUESS, THANKS FOR NOTHING NOBBY :reject:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 5, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

:frogsiren: Update delayed again, it's now supposedly coming next week (getting a bit of deja vu here) and won't include multiplayer. :saddowns:

Sim posted:

Hey Everyone!

Grab the tissues! …I’m really sorry to announce that there isn’t going to be a new update or Twitch episode today.

The ‘no Twitch episode’ is simply because not only is Nobs not here, but I have nothing new to show you!

The MP aspect of the update is obviously taking longer than anticipated – but this is the games industry and sometimes the unexpected happens. We currently have some De-sync issues which really do dampen the MP experience, so we're working hard to fix these. We really can’t do much other than apologise and reassure you it will be coming.

Your first MP experience is REALLY important to us as it’s a large part of the game and where we spend most of our time after the single player game is complete. Obviously ensuring it’s working well enough to be as stable as possible for early access is our key focus.

Our plan now is to release a content update next week, which will be without MP for the reasons explained above.

Thanks for being patient! In the meantime if you have any questions feel free to stick them in here and we will do our best to answer them.

Sim xxx
To be fair, I was (and still am) mainly looking forward to the performance optimization. I just got a new computer with all the bells and whistles today after my previous one died in an unfortunate overclocking accident, and hopefully the next patch allows me to crank everything up and still get good frame rates.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Nobby went to Scotland and everybody hosed off for the week I'll bet!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

NOBBYYY :arghfist::reject: (that emoticon actually kinda looks like a sad nobby now that I think of it)

Anyway, in my latest race I got t-boned by Vlad pretty hard. As much as Vlad sucks his car can actually do a good bit of damage in a major impact (it's not so obvious from the pics, but the Fat Cat's chassis is bent to poo poo and the driver's side door is just caved in):

max your arm isn't looking so good :ohdear:

no really max you should get that checked, it keeps flopping around and that was your good arm too

I CAUGHT A SCIENTIST WHEEEEE :buddy:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Stainless streaming again: http://www.twitch.tv/carmageddon

If my vision and hearing aren't failing me, these two aren't Sim and nobby. In any case, they're showing the new stuff that is in the next update, and it seems like that new stuff unfortunately doesn't include textures for The Bear, Volkswerker and Tashita. :saddowns:

edit: well that was really short because the guys want to go watch football, but at least the update is going live RIGHT NOW. :neckbeard:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 18, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a way to see what's been updated besides these streams? I don't really want to watch a (normally) 2 hour stream for an update. And in this case I was at work when this stream went online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

IUG posted:

Is there a way to see what's been updated besides these streams? I don't really want to watch a (normally) 2 hour stream for an update. And in this case I was at work when this stream went online.

It's on forums, and steam news
Most important in this one

quote:

Cars
COMPLETE Annihilator
COMPLETE The Plow INCLUDING driver Don Dumpster!
Revealing The Bear (geometry complete, gameplay ready)
Revealing Tashita (geometry complete except for weapon, gameplay ready)
Revealing Volkswerker (geometry complete, gameplay ready)

City Arena (Sumo)
Complete and cosy NEW level, designed for future Multiplayer fun

NEW Wheelspin control; demanded by Carmafans, implemented by us …because we love ya!!
More PowerUps – Discover the hilarious NEW ‘Opponent Ejaculator’ and ‘Opponent Bodywork Vac’ powerups, and revel in the return of some old favourites.

No multiplayer yet :(

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 18, 2014

• Locked thread