Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fwoderwick posted:

I dunno man, I mean something as abstract as a menu sound sure (I can still hear it in my head now). But the handful of, by todays standards, poorly recorded crashcam speech clips, crash sounds, the powerup pickup noise etc, they'd be pretty jarring set against the modern graphics.
In the Early Access version, the only sound that seems to be directly ripped from the old games (and even then, it's been remastered a bit) is the old menu confirm sound. Everything else is redone from scratch, but keeping to the feel of the old audio.

Shoehead posted:

Pratcams are coming back. They got a mate of Nobbie's in for Max and Sim is playing Die Anna. It not a priority according to them and won't be in till later.

Also yeah Nobby is Pitbull! Someone posted a blog about heading to Stainless to get his own car and portrait done. I think he was a kickstarter backer pr something
Yeah, they're bringing back the original Pratcam Max, who was also helped provide reference footage for the past games by volunteering to be hit by a car. Multiple times. Yeah, Stainless are a wee bit unhinged.

A few of the drivers and peds will be based on Kickstarter backers, because who wouldn't pay vast amounts of money to get dismembered in a videogame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

One thing i never understood is why indie/small scale developers don't just link to a spotify playlist or whatever for a 'suggested' soundtrack. Is it tacky or illegal?
Well, for one, Spotify is still rolling out across the world (They only just launched in Canada two weeks ago!)

I believe Euro Truck Simulator 2 just uses Shoutcast internet radio stations for your in-truck music, but that's by a Czech studio so they may be trickier to legally yell at than the Stainless chaps in the UK.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Overbite posted:

That seems like a weird place to leave to. I can name at least 2 games Stainless has worked on in the past few years which is more than I can name for RWS. What do they even do?
RWS more or less died after their Russian outsourcing experiment (it's a long story...) with Postal 3 failed miserably, but then Postal 2 sold so inexplicably well on Steam that they managed to more or less reform the company purely off of that. They're currently working on a new Postal 2 expansion pack and a HD update/Android port of the original top-down game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Update! Stainless is giving Resurrection owners ANOTHER free game! Problem is, this one is a bit poo poo. It's Carmageddon: TDR 2000!

quote:

Now, being completely honest here, it’s well known that 1) Stainless didn’t develop TDR 2000 and 2) just about everyone we know thinks that it’s a bit POO. BUT, there’s no accounting for taste, and some people have actually asked us to release it. And so, just for those poor souls (plus anyone else who enjoys getting a “full package”) we’re more than happy to plop it into your Carma collection. And for the rest of us, well…. Maybe give it a spin every now and then to remind everyone what a GREAT JOB we did on Carmageddon 1 and 2!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 4, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I think they're just atoning for how unbelievably lovely Postal 3 was. :v:
Yeah, they CAN'T do anything to Postal 3, so they work with what they have.

quote:

Postal III didn't turn out how RWS had hoped.
The original plan was for RWS to do game design and style art, with Akella responsible for production (coding, game art, audio, playtesting, etc.). The project started out great with both groups working close together, then the first blow came with the Russian economy taking a hit and Akella lost their A development team and the project got moved to Team B. Looking back now we should have canceled the project then as there was no way the new less qualified team was going to be able to deliver a "A" quality game. The next big blow was when Akella started chopping away at our design (to accommodate the limited skills of the 2nd string team), this only got worse over time. From eliminating gameplay to single player only to PC only and scratching consoles. The hole kept getting deeper and the poo poo shovel was in full force. We didn't even get to see or play the game in the last 12 months of development, then the worst thing happened. Akella was desperate for money trying to prevent going out of business. They made the fatal decision to 'wrap it up' at alpha and call it done, releasing it to the Russian market, then on Steam for the international market.

Akella retains control of all the source code and assets for Postal III which they will not share with us or the modding community, so we are unable to fix Postal III ourselves, leaving a flawed and unfinished game. RWS also do not profit from Postal III sales and we stopped selling it ourselves the moment it was clear we would be unable to support the product.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Stentorian Hoot posted:

Edit: It's now crashing consistently. Guess I'll have to sit this one out until there's a fix.
Are you on an nVidia card? I had this and got it fixed by updating my drivers.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nev posted:

Does anyone know what happened to having peds in multiplayer? The game feels really empty and bland without them, and Stainless originally said they would be in.
This was from a few days back, but I asked Nobby during the Twitch livestream. He said that it's still part of the plan.

Speaking of multi, a patch should be out to fix some multi-specific stuff within the next 24 hours, Steam willing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The full release has been delayed by a month at the last minute, to do some extra polishing and bug stomping.

• Locked thread