Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Carmageddon 2 was the game that introduced me to three things:

1. Senseless violent videogames.
2. Iron Maiden
3. Actually funny comedy.

All three have stuck with me as personal favourites throughout my life and I have Stainless to thank for this.

I paid a ludicrous amount towards this kickstarter because with the amount of entertainment Carmageddon 2 gave me over the years (was one of the very first games I ever remember modding - which blew my loving mind) I honestly feel I came way, way ahead in the deal considering the stupidly low price I paid for the game when I got it.

Stainless make great games and they deserve another shot at the best. Especially since Criterion got hosed over with Burnout Paradise, I guess, and vehicle carnage is not very popular anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
No more than the usual EA fuckery, I guess. They made a pretty awesome racing game, then got forced into propping up the Need For Speed franchise while the much more awesome Burnout series fell by the wayside.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is beautiful.

Carmageddon 2 is one of the first games I remember modding, and it was crazy. Glad to see the community can still step up to the plate.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Carmageddon 2 introduced me to Iron Maiden. So in addition to being a great game it was also responsible for spreading some great music.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I guess I can sort of see the logic. They knew they pretty much had to do it from scratch, so built something rather barebones to start with that they could then flesh out and expand upon where needed when they figured out exactly what they wanted to do or what they needed.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The alpha is very, very bare bones and poorly optimized. I guess internally they've got way more progress done, but this release is the first major update for a while.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Oh man, this game is really feeling like a proper Carmageddon game now.

Jesus it's so much fun. Definitely more Carmageddon 1/2 than TDR (thank gently caress)

Was doing a checkpoint scramble race thing in that level where you can literally drive up buildings. One checkpoint was on the side of a building. I used a turbo, barreled up the side of the building then flew off, did a flip in mid air then drove down the building next to it and right at the bottom smashed into another car and wrecked them.

Tried to use the action replay function to catch that moment and the game crashed :(

Game is still very much a beta but it's come on leaps and bounds from what it was. Definitely needs a ton more optimization, but I have no doubt that's coming.

e: Glad to see all the cool combos are still in. Got into a tunnel with everyone else, got pinball mode and opponent repulsificator...

Everyone blew the gently caress up.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 15, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I found one. They're basically little collectibles like the upgrade tokens hidden in certain levels. Keep searching around and you're bound to find them, they're brightly coloured.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I hope they include cheats again. Tried some of the old ones from memory to see what would happen and nothing did.

LAPMYLOVEPUMP and IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT did nothing sadly :(

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Disgusting Coward posted:

Do you think any meaningful improvements to the game will be made between now and release?

No, reputable company Stainless has done all the work they're going to do and are now running cackling into the night with a bag full of money, so much money that some is escaping due to the momentum of their gleeful running. But they don't care, because it's so much.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hexenritter posted:

Cross-platform play would be cool. I wonder what features they're going to add to make it stand out from Reincarnation, if any.

The big rig is a pretty nice feature.

Plus more ped varieties, and the graphics do look nicer.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Carmageddon 2 got me into Maiden, which was great.

Reincarnation has some pretty cool music. I admit it's not quite up to par with Carmageddon 2's stuff, mainly because I imagine it would be hellish to licence big named bands for the game on the budget they had to work with, but the music fits and isn't offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It also made me appreciate one of the lesser known songs "Man on the Edge" which is about that Michael Douglas film Falling Down, which makes it rather appropriate for Carmageddon, probably.

• Locked thread