Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!
I actually currently live in Peoria area (Washington). I'll be moving soon to Alabama. I've lived here since summer of 2000.

Burger Barge is delicious. Eat there. Frequently.

Honestly, for bad as a rap Peoria gets, the local communities are fairly nice and pleasant places to live. Although, if you're looking for lots of excitement it's definitely not an ideal location. There's usually not a lot happening.

Housing in the communities is fairly nice. Dunlap, Peoria Heights, Morton, Metamora, Pekin and Washington are all nice communities. Washington's housing is currently terrible, but that's due to a tornado wiping out most of the apartments/renting complexes along with a fair number of houses.

You're 3 hours from any of the major cities (St. Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis), and it's fairly easy to take a day or weekend trip to any of them.

There's some nice spots of Peoria: Shops at Grand Prairie, a mall, plenty of shopping outlets scattered throughout. There's also bad too. Stay away from the projects and the southside of Peoria in general. It's usually okay during the day, but at night it's fairly dangerous. Gangs, shootings, violence and what not.

Any other specific questions? I'm more than happy to answer any you may have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

Pocket DeSade posted:

Food/Groceries are pretty important to me, so I've been loving the Indian markets in the area, but do you happen to know what happened to Lin Hing International Market? I was looking forward to having a good asian grocer in the area, but I went to scope it out today and it looked abandoned, but there were also a lot of other people walking up, seeing it closed, and looking confused.

It's closed? I usually buy my Korean foods from there. I know there was construction going on in the area, but last I knew it was opened. If it's closed that's a drat shame. I'm not certain if there's anything else like Lin Hing, but I have a friend who enjoys his Asian food so I will ask if he gets his from someplace besides Lin Hing.

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

EG posted:

It actually just closed this week, was a good store.

drat. That's disappointing.

Pocket DeSade posted:

Damnit, literally the week I move here. Any substitutions at the moment?

I checked and there's no true substitute for that store in Peoria. Closet one you could go to is Shanghai Market in Bloomington about an hour away.

• Locked thread