Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wasting Light was real admirable in that it was recorded in Grohl's garage using analog tape machines and produced by Butch Vig to try to recapture the band's original sound, and I think they succeeded because it feels more raw and more like their early stuff. White Limo is definitely one of my favorite songs they've put out in years:
The last album of theirs I really loved before that was One By One. One of my favorite songs from that album has a crazy rear end music video with Jack Black too:
I feel the same way.

In Your Honor and Echos, Silence, Patience and Grace felt like a Foo Fighters cover band trying to re-create The Colour And The Shape and There Is Nothing Left To Lose. I would have appreciated In Your Honor if they just stuck to an acoustic album.

I'd pretty much written the band off until they released the video for White Limo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Having been with the FF since receiving an n-th generation cassette copy of the first album via Usenet in early 1995, after In Your Honor and Silence Echos Patience and Grace, I'd written off the band as only being interested in ripping themselves off.

The song and video for White Limo pulled me back and goddamn, was Wasting Light the kind of Foo Fighters album I'd been waiting to hear!

Here's to Sonic Highways!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
From Back & Forth, based on Dave's grousing about how Taylor didn't support in him in QOTSA, and how hard Taylor is on him self over his own drumming, I get the impression that Taylor is an insecure crybaby and likely still jealous over Dave's relationship with Josh.

Naming his band as a riff on TVC/EODM sounds spot on.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Online sales with no geographical restrictions are one of the best ways to cause fans to stop being fans.

That said, was that the band's decision or the venue's?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
My problem with the episode was Dave's insistence on their song not sounding "too country". As someone who doesn't care for country music, I'd still rather see that risk (in the same vein as Metallica's "Mama Said") instead of the bland catalog rehash that "Congregation" is. Especially if he's going in there with an appreciation of the genre/Zac Brown.

At the moment, none of the songs have made me want to listen to them again.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
The best song from this album isn't on the album and they didn't even have to write it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QRBUAUYBr8

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/10-things-we-learned-hanging-with-dave-grohl-20141124?page=3

quote:

Grohl worked hard to raise money to make the Sonic Highways series.
"I was on the phone conferencing with agencies and corporations, trying to round up money to do this. Part of me felt sick inside. But I justified it: 'I'm doing something good. I'm doing something people will appreciate.'

"There was one guy. We were having trouble getting footage of Hurricane Katrina for the New Orleans episode. Finally, one of my producers said, 'Look, the only way we're going to get this footage is if you help this guy propose to his girlfriend.' I said, 'Okay, you got it. What do I have to do?' I sat in front of the camera and said, 'Hi, blah-blah-blah, so-and-so really wants to marry you,' and sent it to her. Hopefully she said yes. I got my loving footage."
Ok, reading that I can give him a pass on pre-writing re-hashed Foo Fighters songs in each city. I can see it as a hedge against the risk of doing both an album and show.

It doesn't mean I love the album, but at least in my mind, I can understand the reason behind the way it sounds.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Edit: Nevermind.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Dave seems to be into playing to a certain comfort level for the past decade and it was exemplified by a scene from Sonic Highways. The band was in Nashville, Chris is working on a country-riff and Dave jokingly but seriously says that they can't do country music on a Foo Fighters album.

I dislike modern country with a passion, but I'd rather see the Foo's take on it rather than the luke-warm dad-rock that made it to the album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Man, some of us just like dad rock, okay?

Seriously, my music collection is basically a who's who (The Who) of classic rock.
Is "dad rock" the same as "classic rock"? I always thought it was a slur for self-catalog-derivative music. Like an X band who might one have been good to great but is currently making music that sounds like an X cover band who has only ever listened to X.

I wouldn't diss classic rock from my glass house of Bowie. :D

• Locked thread