Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
Back and Forth was a great documentary. The part about William Goldsmith having to do 80-90 takes for songs, and then the band just taking off and doing it without him made me feel pretty bad for the guy. I can understand that Dave was releasing a major record, had a firm idea of the drums he wanted in his head, and knew he was the best guy to do them though. I think Goldsmith had some time issues too. As a drummer I can relate and can only imagine the blow to the ego.

I still love that the first Foo Fighters record is literally all Dave on every single side of the performance aside from one guitar overdub, recorded in a week in a studio down the street from his house. I still listen to the first two albums quite a bit, and they were a huge part of my teenage years. Dave Grohl was kind of my Ringo Starr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
I always loved My Hero, especially now that I know the story behind it. In Back and Forth, Dave said he didn't have any songs that you could do the wave to in stadiums. So he wrote a song that people could do that to in the chorus, rehearsed the hell out of it for 4 days, and then played in live for the first time in front of a stadium front of people. I love the drums and guitar and that catchy chorus.

_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
The part at the end of Hey, Johnny Park! where there's a big drum fill, and Dave starts shouting, "Now that I found my reward, I'll throw it away long before" was always one of my favorite moments of Colour And The Shape.

• Locked thread