Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Hopefully this concept works, any critique anything like that would be appreciated!

You know, a wise man once told me it's knowledge that makes the world go 'round. The more people know, the more they can do, or the more they can affect through their inaction. Kinda ties into that comic-book "great power, great responsibility" poo poo. If you know you can do something, you should do it, to better the world.

So why am I not out there bettering the world, you ask? That's the secret: I am. I clean the streets of filth like you every drat night. Sure, I may just look like another badge to a sociopath like you, but I'm the best drat homicide detective this city has ever seen.

And, see, here's the thing, Jack: you hosed up, when you hosed with me. You know, keeping on the way you were, killing people every so often and leaving their bodies laying around, that's fine and dandy, and I'd have caught you eventually. But going after my wife, and our UNBORN CHILD, when I got a little close? That's just dirty pool. And, well, I paid the price for it.

But here's the kicker. To paraphrase a country song that some of you boondock types seem to love, it turns out I have friends in low places. Really good ones, in fact. Even got someone to make a deal, hand you to me on a silver platter. And sure, I may not be able to get you on the Alvarez murder. Or even the Schattsheim one. But I can sure as hell get you on murdering my daughter. Then again, I don't need to.

Y'see, I'm on paid administrative suspension until further notice. My wife's filing divorce papers now that she's out of the coma you put her in. I've got nothing left to lose, buddy. So to put it quite bluntly, after this little conversation of ours, I'm gonna put a bullet in your head, walk away, and not think twice about anything related to this.

And that is why I'm even telling you this in the first place. Gotta get it off my chest to someone, I guess, and when a serial killer's the only person you can talk to, well...beggars can't be choosers. And besides - you get to die knowing exactly how I caught you, and exactly how far I was willing to go to do it.

See, you may be thinking that you didn't have any accomplices. No accessories, even after the fact. There's no human being in existence who could possibly have sold you out. And to an extent, you're right. I don't know who, or what, the hell the guy was. But he came to me on the waterfront, the place I met Laura, right after I left the hospital. You know, it's funny - when I met her, I was just a rookie beat cop, and she was a nurse who stitched me up the first time I got shot. Kind of ironic that that's the place she'd end up when all our lives went to hell.

But this man, ghost, god, guru, whatever the hell he was, said to me that it was my darkest hour or some poo poo, and that if I cut a deal with him, signed his papers, I could have anything I ever wanted. Power, money, admiration, and he'd even make my problem - that's you, by the by - go away, no questions asked. I signed the papers. I didn't want the admiration. I didn't want the money. I wanted the power to take scum like you off the streets and make the world a safer place for everyone. And unsurprisingly, he reached into that briefcase of his, pulled out a sheet of paper, and here it was - penned in red ink. A name, an address, even an attached picture. How about that poo poo, eh?

He said I wouldn't lose anything tangible or material. I guess he was right, in that respect. Wasn't until after the papers were signed that I even got a reaction out of him. He just raised an eyebrow and made some little noise, said something about my eternal happiness and love. Wasn't until I got the divorce papers that I realized just what I'd traded away, just what I had given up to bring your sorry rear end down.

And do I have any regrets? Well, that's a hell of a question - do you? I kid, I kid, I know you don't. Everyone in the precinct's read your profile, you're not mentally capable of remorse. No skin off my rear end. Now I'd say I don't, but I didn't trade away my empathy. Just my chance at ever being happy.

I regret that no matter what I do now, people will be in danger. I guess there was some kind of sub-consequence, a clause in my deal with the devil that I naturally wouldn't know about. Anyone who tries to get close, who tries to help me feel good things again...bad things happen to them. Not by my hand, of course. It's like some...cosmic backlash. Like by trying to pick me up, they bring themselves down.

Like my niece. Sweet girl. She's been staying with me, going to school around here ever since my brother and his wife died in the car accident. It can be tough, taking care of a girl who's just learning to walk again, but in a way it's worth it all. But now, she's a target. Of karma, and of killers like you. Every two-bit crook with an axe to grind wants to bring me down, and most of them know that's the way to go about it. You want to go after a cop, you hurt his family, as you demonstrated to great effect. So it's all I can do to keep her healthy and safe.

But I guess enough talk is enough talk. I'm done spilling my guts to you. I'm glad I could spill them to someone, but...we're done here. And you're done living, done being a blight on the streets and a monster playing at being a man.

One last thing - when you get to Hell, tell 'em Kenichi Sakamoto sent you.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Posting here to say I updated my app with the stuff you requested that I edit. Just wanted to let you know. :buddy:

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

The Leper Colon V posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and ask some questions, directed at individual characters. Feel free to answer or ignore these however you like, though answering them should hopefully give me a better idea of what your character is about.

Kenichi Sakamoto: What is the difference between justice and vengeance?

There's a thin line between justice and vengeance, and it's sometimes hard to see where you stand.

To me, justice is the right thing. It doesn't necessarily have to do with the law - there's a difference, y'see. "Justice", by its very nature, is just. And while laws are allegedly in place to protect the peace, it's not always "just" to follow the law. Sometimes, the law has to be broken for justice to be served. And inherently, some would say that's unjust. But the difference between being unjust, and being unlawful, is also a very thin line.

Vengeance, on the other hand...vengeance is sometimes just. Kind of an "all squares are rectangles, not all rectangles are squares" thing. It all really depends on the nature of the offense, and making the punishment fit the crime. Somebody insults your mother, and you kill him, right? I worked that case, and a thousand more like it. Was it vengeful? Yes, very. Was it just? No, it wasn't. Vengeance is petty and small-minded, and often an overreaction to what occurred. Justice, on the other hand...

Justice is when you see a serial killer get laid out on the table to get his lethal injection. Justice is when a corrupt CEO gets put in chains and rags after stealing billions from his investors and employees. Justice is when a criminal gets a punishment befitting of the crimes they've committed against other human beings.

And I know what you're thinking - am I, then, by my nature, a non-vengeful person? Far fuckin' from it. The entire job of a detective is justified vengeance. After all, I have no job to do if a crime hasn't been committed. And then, by that logic, the act of seeking out the criminal that their punishment may be delivered, is vengeance. Justified, yes, and in the pursuit of justice as a whole. But vengeance nonetheless - after all, I'm not really preventing the crime from ever happening in the first place, am I?

It's like I said earlier - not all vengeance is justified, but all justice is vengeful. Almost like the way Hammurabi put it - an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, so on and so forth. You do what you need to do to punish the guilty - no more. And no less, either.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 30, 2014

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Just letting everyone know that with the setting being confirmed as Japan, Johnny Riker is now known as Kenichi Sakamoto.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Name: Kenichi Sakamoto
XP: 0

Aspects
[High Concept] - Hard-Boiled Homicide Detective
Kenichi is the best homicide detective Tokyo PD has ever seen. With an extremely impressive arrest rate, even for Japan's remarkable crime statistics, and an interrogation technique that's unmatched, he always gets his man. But he's got his other, non-deductive qualities as well. He excelled in hand-to-hand combat and riot defense tactics, and has had more reported incidents of weapon discharge than the rest of his precinct's homicide division combined.

[Trouble] - An Improvised Family
Kenichi and his niece Setsuka have a difficult life. Kenichi struggles with the divorce from his wife and the trade he made for his happiness, and Setsuka is struggling to learn to walk again after a spinal cord injury from the car accident that killed her parents. On top of that, the criminal underground knows a thing or two about how to intimidate or otherwise cow police officers - the chief tactic being to go after their families. Which paints a massive target on Setsuka's back, and drives Kenichi to even further lengths to protect her.

[Background] - A Name To Run From
"Kenichi the Killer" has become something of an unofficial nickname among the police department and the criminal underground, simply due to how many times Kenichi has had to use lethal force against a suspect. The running joke is that his body count may actually be higher than the number of arrests he's made, and his time in the Tokyo PD Special Assault Team (a duty he was hand-picked for) certainly hasn't dissuaded matters.

[Connection] - Partners With Benefits
Kenichi's former partner before he was granted the leeway to work alone, Chigusa Watanabe, has always had a layer of unresolved tension with the gruff detective. And in the wake of his divorce (and sacrifice,) she's had the opportunity to resolve that tension. And she has - "vigorously and repeatedly," as she'd put it. She's in it for more than just the physical, though - she's starting to develop feelings for the aloof, bitter investigator, despite his efforts to drive those thoughts away. Chigusa would go to any lengths to Kenichi, and has even looked into cases and evidence for him during his paid administrative suspension.

[Sacrifice] - Anhedonic Haze
When Kenichi made his deal, he traded away something significant - he will never be happy again. The divorce from his wife was the first blow that reinforced this to him. His brother and sister-in-law's death was the next. Now, he just floats through life, alternating between despair, emotionlessness, and the occasional sense of satisfaction.

Qualities
Homicide Detective +4
Combat Training +2
Grim Determination +2

Uncompromising -2
Family Obligations -2

Evoker +0

Stunts
The Devil's In The Details: Kenichi can spend a FATE Point when investigating something, if he's already succeeded at his roll, to find an additional detail or item at the location being investigated. If there is nothing left to find, the FATE point is refunded.

Breach and Clear: When surprising or blindsiding an enemy/group of enemies, Kenichi gains an extra Advantage to his first combat roll against them. (example: kicking in a door to take down the people behind it)

Stress: [ ]1 [ ]2 [ ]3
Consequence: [ ]6

Notes

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 7, 2014

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Anything happening in this thread?

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jeez, I probably should have done that first. Hope things get better, The Leper Colon V!

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
I'll second that. I was pretty hype for this, but it going nowhere slow is not very hype-maintaining.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Trying to get a post up either today or tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
I'm here, just trying to figure out how to word my post.

• Locked thread