Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

WHAT IS PLEX
It's a media player system and software suite consisting of a player application and an associated media server that organizes personal media stored on local devices. Plex organizes all your personal media (movies, music, photos) no matter where it's kept, so it can be accessed on any screen, from anywhere — your phone, tablet, TV, PC or Mac. You even have the option to access your media remotely, outside of your home/local network. With Plex, all your media content is always at your fingertips.

HOW IT WORKS
Plex has two components:
  • The server — A PC or Mac that will store your media library in a central location
  • The apps — Players on client devices that play back media from the Server
Supported Devices
Plex is supported across a variety devices and platforms: PC/Mac, iOS/Android/Windows Phone, Chromecast, Android TV, tvOS, Roku, Xbox, Playstation, and various Smart TVs all support Plex.

A fully-functioning Plex system needs both a server and at least one app. The server includes the Plex web app (accessed via your browser) which is used to manage the Server and your media library. The Plex web app also includes a player app so a minimal Plex installation could be just be the server, but most of you are going to want to install apps on client devices around your home, like on a Roku, Apple TV, Xbox, etc. We'll go over the recommend Plex client devices later.

GETTING STARTED
Step 1 Create a free plex.tv account You can do that here: https://plex.tv/users/sign_up then go to the Downloads section and install the Plex Media Server software on a PC running Windows, Linux, or FreeBSD, a Mac, or a NAS (several specific models supported).

Step 2 Add your media. However! Before you add any of your media folders or network drives to your Plex Media Server, you'll want to make sure your media is organized properly. This is important, as the Plex Server software identifies your media according to folder structure, filename, and the type of Library to which it is assigned. Once identified, Plex fetches information like posters, descriptions, and ratings that make media selection a rich experience. For best matching results, follow the Media Preparation guides and spend time ensuring your media collection is sorted and named correctly. Although the process is quite flexible, you can avoid mismatched or unrecognized media by adhering to the recommended naming convention right from the start.

Step 3 Get apps and stream to any device. The Plex app is completely free to use on all NON-MOBILE platforms including smart TVs, Playstation, Xbox, Apple TV, Fire TV, Android TV and Roku streaming devices. If you are not a Plex Pass subscriber you will need to pay a small activation fee before you can start using the app on Android and iOS mobile devices.

RECOMMENDED SERVER HARDWARE
Any PC or Mac made in the last 5 years will be fine to run as your Plex Media Server. It's best to install Plex Media Server on a PC or Mac that is on 24/7 so that your media will always be readily available. The ideal Plex hardware ecosystem consists of a dedicated PC or Mac as the server, and client devices like a Roku or Apple TV to access your content. For cheap server solutions if you don't already have a PC available to run the Plex Media Server software, check Amazon or Ebay for refurb PCs. You can usually find a decent refurbished PC that's perfectly capable of being a dedicated Plex server for $200-$300, maybe even cheaper!

IF you plan on enabling remote access to your server, I personally recommend your Plex Media Server PC have at least a Zen-based AMD CPU or a Haswell-based Intel CPU from the last couple of years and at least 4GB of RAM. These baseline specs ensure that when accessing your Plex Server remotely, likely from your phone or tablet or a device that doesn't support your media files natively, the server will be more than capable to transcode your media on-the-fly into an appropriate format that the remote device can play without any issues. The most basic thing to remember is that the more Plex apps/devices/clients you have playing content at the same time that require transcoding, the more CPU power you'll need. Generally speaking, if you have two Plex apps requiring transcoded content at the same time, that will require about twice the CPU processing power compared to if there was only one app playing content. If you want very basic, bare minimum server CPU suggestions:
  • No transcoding: Core 2 Duo 1.6GHz (NAS devices based on ARM or PowerPC processors should also be capable of at least one stream with no transcoding)
  • Single 720p transcode: Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
  • Single 1080p transcode: Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
If you'll need to support more than one simultaneous transcode, you'll need a more powerful processor. Very roughly speaking, for a single full-transcode of a video, the following PassMark scores are a good guideline for a requirement:
  • Single 1080p/10Mbps bitrate transcode: 2000 PassMark
  • Single 720p/4Mbps bitrate transcode: 1500 PassMark
To see a specific CPU model's PassMark score, try doing a search such as "Ryzen 5 1600 passmark" on Google or similar to help you find that information.

:siren: It's important to note that in a local setup and/or a setup where all your client devices natively support the file formats/codecs of your media (even remote client devices), it's possible that your Plex Media Server will never have to transcode at all. The only limiting factor would be the internet upload speed on the network that your Plex server is on for any remote streams, as the bitrate of your media dictates just how many remote clients your Plex server can stream to simultaneously without issue. :siren:

RECOMMENDED CLIENT DEVICES
Now that you have your Plex Media Server sorted out and all your libraries set up with media, you'll want some client devices to access your content. I'll sort my general recommendations based on usage scenarios and price.

Home theater setup with audio/video receiver and 5.1+ surround sound system
The Roku Premiere is the budget pick in this list, but at $40, it's a capable little device that can do 1080p HD, 4K Ultra HD, and HDR playback provided you have a strong dual-band WiFi connection. Unlike the $100 Roku Ultra, the Roku Premiere lacks wireless AC or ethernet, but otherwise offers similar performance and experience as the Roku Ultra. Both the Roku Premiere and Ultra support Dolby Digital and DTS audio passthrough (no DTS-HD, Atmos/TrueHD), have IR receivers for universal remote compatibility, and have a very simple UI that non-techie folk will have no problem using.

The NVIDIA Shield is unique in that while as a streaming box similar to the Roku it operates perfectly as a Plex client device, it can also work as your Plex Media Server, making it an "All-In-One" solution. It's a forked implementation of the Plex Media Server software though, and you might run into some niche issues with little support as not many Plex users have an Nvidia Shield as their dedicated Plex server. So, while the Shield is capable of being a Plex Media Server (if you do go this route, get the 500GB model for more storage), I'd still recommend getting a dedicated PC for your server. Just be aware of the limitations when utilizing your Shield TV as your Plex Media Server. See here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/221099648-Limitations-When-Running-Plex-Media-Server-on-NVIDIA-SHIELD.

That said, the Nvidia Shield can pass through DTS, Dolby Digital, DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio streams no problem. So next to an HTPC, the Shield TV is the best frontend/client device for Plex as it guarantees flawless native playback of nearly anything you can throw at it.

For a custom or pre-built HTPC you'll want to install the Plex Media Player app from the downloads page. It'll look and function exactly like the Plex Web App, but it runs as a native application instead of inside a browser on your PC. The HTPC is the best option if you want 100% native media playback with zero server transcoding.

Simple setup with just an HDTV and/or external speakers, sound bar, etc.
The Chromecast, Fire TV Stick 4K, and Roku Streaming Stick+ require solid WiFi to ensure solid media playback from your Plex Media Server — all three of these devices support wireless AC. The Chromecast is a super budget option, as it lacks 4K playback (there is a 4K Chromecast, but I don't think it's worth it, look to the other recommended options instead), and does not have a traditional physical remote or user interface on the TV. You browse your Plex Media Server libraries on your phone, tablet, or PC/Mac and "cast" media from your Plex Server to the Chromecast. It's a great, simple client device that might take a little bit of getting used to for some users.

I consider the Roku Streaming Stick+ and the Fire TV Stick 4K to be the "best bang for your buck" in this particular use scenario, with the Apple TV being the higher-end recommendation. The Fire TV is littered with Amazon Prime content on the home screen though, so if you or whoever don't fancy that, get the Roku Streaming Stick+ instead. I don't recommend the Apple TV 4K, because for the price you're better off getting an Nvidia Shield or putting that money towards an HTPC. I'd really only suggest the Apple TV 4K as a Plex client device if you are heavily invested in Apple's hardware/software ecosystem. Also something to note is that the Apple TV's stock remote can be a hurdle for some people to learn and handle. I suggest using a Harmony remote with the Apple TV instead of the one it comes with.

Remote playback for anyone accessing your Plex server outside of your local home network
My recommended devices for this scenario are the same as what I suggested for a simple setup essentially. I suggest a Chromecast for any friends or family who are tech savvy, and either the Roku Streaming Stick+ or Fire TV Stick 4K for something more traditional and easier to use; good for parents and non-techie folk.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Plex isn't correctly matching the right metadata to my media libraries at all, what the hell?
In order to prevent any metadata scraping issues, be sure to follow Plex's naming schema and directory structure from their media preparation guide here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200028098-Media-Preparation

What is the difference between Direct Play, Direct Stream, and Transcoding?
The Plex server will re-encapsulate (remux) compatible video/audio if the codec is supported. Basically Plex has 3 methods of streaming:

#1 Direct Play: This is when file format is natively supported via http and Plex will just serve up the file as is. Low CPU usage.

#2 Direct Stream: AKA remux. If the video/audio codecs are supported, but the container is not (such as MKV), Plex will remux to HLS or MKV over http. This uses more CPU resources than #1, but a lot less than:

#3 Transcoding: If the video/audio codecs are not supported or of the file specifics exceed known Roku limits, Plex will transcode the video/audio and send that to the client device via HLS or MKV over http. High CPU usage.

Note that methods 2 and 3 are not mutually exclusive. If the video codec is supported, but the audio codec is not (such as an MKV with H264 video and DTS audio trying to be played back on an Apple TV, which doesn't support DTS audio), Plex will direct stream one, and transcode the other. So the exact CPU usage may vary.

When trying to watch content from my Plex server REMOTELY, playback sucks and constantly pauses... why?
If you or anyone trying to stream content remotely from your Plex server are experiencing buffering issues, this is could be due to:

#1 Your internet upload speed is too slow. This is the most important element when considering remote streaming, as your ISP's rated upload speed should leave enough bandwidth headroom to support streaming to one or more client devices, e.g., buffering issues will happen if you have 10Mbps upload speed and a remote client device is attempting to Direct Play a 12Mbps bitrate video file from your server. Your options to remedy this are to either limit the remote stream bitrate to compensate for your ISP's rate upload speed (a Plex Pass feature), or manually set the remote client device to stream the video at a bitrate below 10Mbps.

#2 The client device you're watching from is requesting a full audio/video media transcode as it can't natively playback the source file and it's taxing your server's resources. This is a rare situation, as most devices today support a wide variety of codecs, but depending on the specs of your PC/NAS running Plex Media Server, this could be affecting streaming performance. In order to prevent this from happening, you could have your Plex Server create OPTIMIZED VERSIONS of your media for TV, mobile, etc., ahead of time.

If neither of the above sound like the cause of your remote streaming issues, feel free to ask in this thread for help.

When trying to watch content from my Plex server LOCALLY, playback sucks and constantly pauses... why?
Is your Plex Media Server connected to your home network via WiFi? If so, try hardwiring it to your router/switch and see if that fixes any playback issues. If your server is located somewhere in your home that isn't near your router/switch, I suggest getting this Powerline Adapter kit to rule out a poor WiFi connection. Otherwise, if your server is hardwired, there could be some other niche factor at play causing local playback issues, so go ahead and post specifics about any problems you're experiencing in this thread.

Remote access says it's unavailable outside my network, what did I do wrong?
Did you forward port 32400 in your router settings to the local IP of your Plex server, or enable UPnP? If not, do that and that should take care of most issues. If the message is still persisting you must ensure that the firewall on your OS is allowing the ports. 32400 is the default Port Plex listens to, so this must be opened or else you will not get a connection. You can see a list of ports that Plex uses here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201543147-What-network-ports-do-I-need-to-allow-through-my-firewall-

How does Plex handle moving files between drives? Will it know a file has moved locations and keep the watched status?
It will so long as you make a copy first. Follow the steps below to ensure Plex maintains all metadata and watch status when moving a file from one location to another.

1) Copy original file to new location.
2) Scan library files.
3) When Plex sees you have 2 of that same file (you will see an icon on the top right of the media entry's poster saying there are two copies), split the duplicate files apart. You should now have two separate library entries for the file you are moving.
4) Delete file from original location.
5) Scan library again.
6) Empty library trash to get rid of the duplicate entry that should have a trash icon over its poster. Then you're done!

If you have any other questions about Plex, feel free to discuss in this thread!

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I've recently gotten in to Plex as a result of trying to share my library with family members and friends. I originally tried it out on my Symology and it worked fairly well, but only for those people who had enough horsepower in bandwidth and CPU to stream the content without needed any transcoding. I also was a bit mad that I still couldn't do any mkv's to my iphone/ipad.

I ended up building a new htpc that runs Plex Media Server has plenty of CPU headroom and basically unlimited bandwidth. I've had 5 transcoding streams going at one time and it handled it all really, really well. The iOS apps are also pretty amazing for what they are and it's well worth $5.

The new sharing feature is something I'm excited to see catch on. That really could be useful down the line. I thought about starting a sharing thread but I think that IYG is public.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 29, 2014

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The second plex became available for chromecast for the way he time app buyers I grabbed it, and could not be happier.

I'm actively using it coupled with some extensive RSS torrent rules, to replace cable in a month or so.

I would love to see some edits and access to the under the hood transcoding settings (ffmpeg?) Since on the fly transcoding of 1080p 5.1 content is taxing my core2duo server, and I think a good portion of it is unneeded.

Luckily using max settings is something my network can handle. I use ffmpeg locally for TiVo transcoding, and that handles at faster then realtime, so improvement room is there

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

teagone posted:

If you intend on streaming Full HD 1080p media, the PC/Mac/NAS you plan on using will need to have moderate specs as Plex transcodes your media on the fly, which requires a decent processor to take on that kind of load. If your machine was built or bought in the last 5 years or so, it should be fine. Generally, I'd recommend nothing less than a Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM for your Plex Media Server. If you install the Server on a low-powered Mac/PC/NAS device, you might notice stuttering (stop-start) playback on some or all the Apps. This is most commonly due to the CPU not being powerful enough to handle the transcoding requirements or to the number of Apps connecting to the Server at once. Some NAS devices might be so low-powered that Server transcoding is specifically disabled.

It's worth mentioning that if you're throwing media to other PCs in your house, you'll be able to direct play instead of transcode.

My Plex server is netbook level gear but can still direct play two giant 1080p MKVs to two separate computers in my house with no problem.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Stoked for this thread. I have been using Plex for years on a Macbook Pro with a busted screen.

Plex keeps getting better and better. Now instead of using a logitech remote to control it, I cast from my phone.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I finally ditched my full-computer-HTPC for Plex on an HP n54l streaming to a Roku and iOS devices.

It's a whole new world. Everything works, the interface is great, partial-watches are tracked between devices.

I just streamed a 30gb raw BluRay iso to my phone via 3G and it looked great. I only have 1.5mbps upload on my home connection.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's worth mentioning that if you're throwing media to other PCs in your house, you'll be able to direct play instead of transcode.

My Plex server is netbook level gear but can still direct play two giant 1080p MKVs to two separate computers in my house with no problem.

True. I have my playback option set to automatic, so Direct Play/Stream/Transcode just happens when it needs to. Do you have yours set to force Direct Play?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Plex is good. That's my contribution.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Anyone have a good solution for dealing with F1 races and the practices/qualifying/etc. that go with them?

As of right now I've just got a F1 - 2014 as a show title, and then am using seasons as different races, with episodes being the different events (practice, qualifying, race, etc.) but it isn't a perfect solution. Anyone have any ideas how to do it better?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
How are they listed on the tvdb or similar ? That will ultimately determine how they are displayed.

If they don't already have entries. Add them? Its an open db for this very reason.

Otherwise you are left with simple file names in a directory which only seems possible with folder view?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

Anyone have a good solution for dealing with F1 races and the practices/qualifying/etc. that go with them?

As of right now I've just got a F1 - 2014 as a show title, and then am using seasons as different races, with episodes being the different events (practice, qualifying, race, etc.) but it isn't a perfect solution. Anyone have any ideas how to do it better?

Hmm, so your current file naming scheme is:

F1 - 2014 - S01E01 - Practice.avi
F1 - 2014 - S01E02 - Qualifying.avi
F1 - 2014 - S01E03 - Race.avi

Right?

That's honestly the best way to do it I think. I don't think Plex will be able to find metadata for specific races and whatnot, so setting the scanning agent for your F1 library should be set to "Personal Media" so you can manually enter and organize it yourself. Just making sure you have the S00E00 file name structure is the most important thing. As for folder hierarchy, I'd do something like:
code:
/TV Shows
   /Formula 1 (2014)
      /Season 01 - Australian Grand Prix
         Formula 1 - S01E01 - Practice.mp4
         Formula 1 - S01E02 - Qualifying.mp4
         Formula 1 - S01E03 - Race.mp4
      /Season 02 - Malaysia Grand Prix
         Formula 1 - S02E01 - Practice.mp4
         Formula 1 - S02E02 - Qualifying.mp4
         Formula 1 - S02E03 - Race.mp4
Which is what I'm assuming you're doing anyways, but just so people know what the hell I'm talking about :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 30, 2014

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Plex is lame cause they say "here, have a free app on us!" when you buy PlexPass but as soon as you don't pay for PlexPass anymore it tells you to go buy the other app cause the one they gave you isn't gonna work anymore.

But for everything else Plex rocks.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Doesn't seem that unfair to me? They give you the [Android] app free as part of the subscription, but when you stop subscribing, you no longer have the app?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Rasplex

I wanted to add some details about the unexpected most used device in my house, my Raspberry Pi + Rasplex. This is comparable to Rasbmc (for XBMC) but using Plex Home Theatre instead. You will get a full Plex Home Theatre installation, all your album/series artwork and metadata available (as you do in Plex) and you can cast to it from the Plex apps and Plex.tv. Airplay is here too, but I've not used it personally. One large feature I find I use the most is that HDMI CEC works well in Rasplex, in other words, if your TV supports it, commands from it's remote will go to Rasplex. It's working flawlessly on my Sony BRAVIA from 2010, and I've never had to connect a keyboard (even for setup). This is the unique selling point that caused my girlfriend to start using it more than anything else.

Important Links:

My setup (which I would recommend):
  • Raspberry Pi Model B with 512mb RAM
  • HDMI CEC Capable TV (as described above)
  • A speedy Class 10 SD Card (however, any SD card will do if you do the optional step below)
  • Optional but recommended: A speedy USB Flash Drive to run RasPlex from - here are the instructions I wrote for doing so
  • The latest Rasplex install, at the time of writing this is 0.4.0-RC1. Currently it's better to use the RC versions than the last stable version (which was 0.3.1 - there is an explanation on the FAQ)

Also, after installing it, be sure to do the precaching process (changes quite a bit, currently a menu option if you press left on the main menu as of 0.4.0-RC1). This speeds things up a lot.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 31, 2014

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
How well does the Cloud sync work? With the price drop on Google Drive hosting I'm really tempted to start using it as a Plex server.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have a rp just sitting around. So this is taking the place of the chomecast and android plex control?

I was considering the new roku stick for the same, but this seems like a no brainer to set up.

The only issue is that my hdtvs seemingly won't work remote wise, but I'm assuming universal remotes would work too

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Roundboy posted:

If they don't already have entries. Add them? Its an open db for this very reason.

TVDB doesn't allow sports content. I've tried and it's been deleted repeatedly.

teagone posted:

code:
/TV Shows
   /Formula 1 (2014)
      /Season 01 - Australian Grand Prix
         Formula 1 - S01E01 - Practice.mp4
         Formula 1 - S01E02 - Qualifying.mp4
         Formula 1 - S01E03 - Race.mp4
      /Season 02 - Malaysia Grand Prix
         Formula 1 - S02E01 - Practice.mp4
         Formula 1 - S02E02 - Qualifying.mp4
         Formula 1 - S02E03 - Race.mp4
Which is what I'm assuming you're doing anyways, but just so people know what the hell I'm talking about :)

This is exactly how I'm doing it. I guess my only real question now is: Is there a way so that instead of the episode number in plex showing up it can instead say the title of the episode? "Practice, Qualifying, etc..."

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomicated posted:

How well does the Cloud sync work? With the price drop on Google Drive hosting I'm really tempted to start using it as a Plex server.

In my experience, it's far from perfect. I've found it has trouble uploading some items and there are lots of reports of items getting stuck in the "uploading to the cloud" status. However, it has worked. I like the concept of it a lot, since when I'm out on the road I can have my server transcode and upload content for me remotely... when it works.

Roundboy posted:

I have a rp just sitting around. So this is taking the place of the chomecast and android plex control?

I was considering the new roku stick for the same, but this seems like a no brainer to set up.

The only issue is that my hdtvs seemingly won't work remote wise, but I'm assuming universal remotes would work too

Yes it could take the place of a Chromecast. I have both and use them interchangeably at the moment. Since you've got a spare Pi I would go for it. Even if you didn't, I would have said throw it on a spare SD card and try it (since changing OSes on the Pi is basically changing the SD card)

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 31, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

teagone posted:

For best matching results, I highly recommend checking the Media Preparation guides and spend time ensuring your media collection is sorted and named correctly.

It's odd. No matter what I've tried I can't get SRT subtitles to work on my Roku.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

I guess my only real question now is: Is there a way so that instead of the episode number in plex showing up it can instead say the title of the episode? "Practice, Qualifying, etc..."

You can edit the episode title manually in Plex. Just hover over the episode, click the edit/pencil icon, and change the title. I had to do that for Magpul training videos my brother wanted so he knew what episode was what.

Zogo posted:

It's odd. No matter what I've tried I can't get SRT subtitles to work on my Roku.

That is pretty strange. 100%, every SRT external subtitle file I add to a movie works just fine. Are you sure you're selecting the proper file before playing the video?

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 31, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

teagone posted:

That is pretty strange. 100%, every SRT external subtitle file I add to a movie works just fine. Are you sure you're selecting the proper file before playing the video?

It does work from within Plex web player but not on the Roku. It also works even without following those naming conventions. On the Roku itself I have it set to default to the English subtitles so it does seem to see them. I've also tried Spanish, French and other available ones they don't show either.

I may try reinstalling the program and reinstalling the app on the Roku as I've upgraded Plex probably 4-5 times since I began using it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Plex has been working out well for the short time I've been using it. I have it running on a VM which accesses media rrom a NAS. I've been streaming to an ipad with the web browser, PS3 via DLNA and streamed to an openelec box. The openelec box I'll planning on converting to a linux based plex client to see how that works out.

It also seems to run multiple streams well even though I'm running an old athlon 3.0 GHz quad core.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone gotten the apple tv trailer hack to work so my plex videos show up there? I don't know if I am just to dumb to run python or it just doesn't work. It seem the python script just doesn't run when it says it is.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I really wish there was a plugin that created 5-7 "channels" of randomly playing content. Sometimes I want to watch a random episode and I don't want to choose.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I really wish there was a plugin that created 5-7 "channels" of randomly playing content. Sometimes I want to watch a random episode and I don't want to choose.

Maybe someone will port the PseudoTV plugin from XBMC. Doesn't Plex have playlists you could randomize or something?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Maybe someone will port the PseudoTV plugin from XBMC. Doesn't Plex have playlists you could randomize or something?

No playlist support yet....

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I see a shuffle icon via plex.tv/web .. nothing for the android though.

Real question:

Are the library update intervals inclusive or exclusive? I have it set to update my library when it changes (i add a show) but if I -also- check update every hour... will it do both or just one? I'm not seeing the info update right away, so if i can get both going it would be helpful.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

teagone posted:

I figured it out. There was a setting that I don't remember seeing before in the Roku app to toggle between soft or burned in subtitles. The default was soft but changing it to burned in makes them show up now. Also, the srt files and video files can be named any odd way and they play fine.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

That would be amazing. I use the Plex on my Roku all the time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

rock2much posted:

That would be amazing. I use the Plex on my Roku all the time.

RARFlix on Roku (a modified Plex install) has the ability to continuously play random episodes from a specific series.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

FCKGW posted:

RARFlix on Roku (a modified Plex install) has the ability to continuously play random episodes from a specific series.

Sidenote: RARFlix is loving awesome. I had some serious issues (freezing, dropped packets) with the Plex app, and even tried out a beta Plex app at Plex's suggestion, and none of it worked. RARFlix worked great and fixed everything.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Viper_3000 posted:

TVDB doesn't allow sports content. I've tried and it's been deleted repeatedly.

This is exactly how I'm doing it. I guess my only real question now is: Is there a way so that instead of the episode number in plex showing up it can instead say the title of the episode? "Practice, Qualifying, etc..."

for sports I just set up another "home videos" section called sports and I can figure out what everything is based on the filename. It's not beautiful, but it works. For F1 specifically I'm having sabnzbd rename the files to 01-01. drivers press conference, 01-02 practice one, 01-03 practice two, etc... to keep them in the right order. 01 for the race then -02 for the event, like practice 1 or 2.

I don't keep them after I watch them so my method isn't really geared towards archiving.

Elephanthead posted:

Has anyone gotten the apple tv trailer hack to work so my plex videos show up there? I don't know if I am just to dumb to run python or it just doesn't work. It seem the python script just doesn't run when it says it is.

I have it set up and it works great. What specifically are you having trouble with?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 3, 2014

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Is anyone having issues with channels still? I can play some, like the Daily Show and Colbert Report, but Giant Bomb doesn't work.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
As far as Giant Bomb goes you're not the only one: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/giant-bomb-plex-channel-1429053/

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Plex is on sale on amazon appstore for $1 today. You probably have a couple hundred amazon coins, so go get free plex today.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stick100 posted:

Plex is on sale on amazon appstore for $1 today. You probably have a couple hundred amazon coins, so go get free plex today.

Just a heads up that this app is slightly out of date so it does not yet have the Chromecast support.

EDIT: I also just got a $1 app credit for buying this so it was free for me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

As of now, I think its best to recommend Amazon's Fire TV (should have called it the Kindle Bonfire) over Roku's line of devices if you want a solid streamer box for $99 that can run Plex and comes with a remote. Plex announced support for Fire TV yesterday (https://blog.plex.tv/2014/04/02/plex-available-amazons-fire-tv/), and the UI for the app is significantly better than the one currently on the Roku platform.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just bought 3 Rokus last month too :/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I just bought 3 Rokus last month too :/

Not saying Rokus are bad or anything, still a solid platform for streaming media :) I still have my Roku 3 in my living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Short Plex on Amazon Fire TV video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCZNsACFJuU