Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sneeze Party posted:

A while back I set up my Synology NAS as a Plex server, but gave up getting it to work with remote clients because my NAS is connected to the internet via a VPN and Plex doesn't seem to like that.

Is there a way to get Plex working on my NAS, through a VPN, to remote clients? Am I missing something simple? This was a couple of years ago since I last tried it.

Edit: Or possibly force Plex to ignore the VPN and use the naked internet connection?

Edit2: I use NordVPN, which apparently doesn't support port forwarding?

Yep I have Nord and have come to the conclusion that you’re basically hosed. Which is cool cause I got that 3-year deal and never use it now because of the plex issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Sneeze Party posted:

A while back I set up my Synology NAS as a Plex server, but gave up getting it to work with remote clients because my NAS is connected to the internet via a VPN and Plex doesn't seem to like that.

Is there a way to get Plex working on my NAS, through a VPN, to remote clients? Am I missing something simple? This was a couple of years ago since I last tried it.

Edit: Or possibly force Plex to ignore the VPN and use the naked internet connection?

Edit2: I use NordVPN, which apparently doesn't support port forwarding?

I was having the same issue on my own server until I put my VPN in a docker container and ran the things that needed access to it in Docker that doesn’t effect the plex connection at all now

https://youtu.be/BZ1LOMJqEkM

This is the guy I watched to set up some of my things. He specifically uses Nord in this video as well

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Nord puts in more specific routes by default to try to get all of the traffic. You will need to adjust the routing table somehow so plex can talk to the internet directly. Either slap Nord or plex into a macvlan container and work from there.

If you look in the ovpn files you will see (for example) 10.0.0.0/9 and 10.128.0.0/9. That's going to be "more specific" than most people's networks of either "default" (0.0.0.0) or a 10 net gateway of 10.0.0.0/8. More specific routes win by default. It is purely luck that it works for most people. If you had some super complicated network setup at home with a bunch of /24's carved out for routing between vlans it wouldn't without adjustment.

None of this is magic and Nord not supporting inbound port forwarding doesn't surprise me in the least. I wouldn't either if I ran a consumer VPN company.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sellouts posted:

What features does the current AppleTV lack for you?

I gotta say it’s perfect for Plex (and everything else) for me.

The thing is hardcore due for a refresh. Last was 2017.

The processor bump it’ll likely get is worth the wait as I don’t have a desperate need for it as I have other options.

I’d rather wait an extra three months to get three more years out of it than pull the trigger now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

The current AppleTV needs two things to be perfect:

1) A fix for the inability to playback 24fps issue.

2) Audio bitstream out capability.

Give me those two things and it is a perfect streaming box.

Is this a hardware or software problem? They added Atmos via software I’d think bitstream out would be possible. 24p idk.

Kingnothing posted:

The thing is hardcore due for a refresh. Last was 2017.

The processor bump it’ll likely get is worth the wait as I don’t have a desperate need for it as I have other options.

I’d rather wait an extra three months to get three more years out of it than pull the trigger now.

How does the processor upgrade affect Plex in any way? Isn’t that for their foray into gaming, which this is the Plex thread and also lol.

OSG’s points are fair but the box now is beyond fine for Plex in my experience. I see absolutely no problems or delays or hiccups.

I’m sure the new 4kTV will have Wifi6 which might help those of y’all that aren’t hardwired.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 13, 2020

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
My mind has been blown by the fact I can manually add torrents to my download client and as long as I correctly label them as 'sonarr' or 'radarr' they will be properly sorted into my Plex library. I use Jackett and while 90% of the time it does a good job at finding things, occasionally it will try to download a 25GB Bluray rip with 2 seeders instead of a 2GB file with 20 because afaik it prioritizes video quality over download speed/availability.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's worth fiddling with the Sonarr/radarr profiles so you can set sane limits based on whatever it is you're trying to download. You can also just delete a download in progress from the activity tab, and hit blacklist. It'll then find the next appropriate thing.
If it's only finding massive files (remuxes) you probably have the minimum size set too high.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Khablam posted:

If it's only finding massive files (remuxes) you probably have the minimum size set too high.

Probably the case, I remember increasing it because the only available files it could find for a particular series were higher quality than I'd set in my profile, so they were ignored.

Khablam posted:

It's worth fiddling with the Sonarr/radarr profiles so you can set sane limits based on whatever it is you're trying to download. You can also just delete a download in progress from the activity tab, and hit blacklist. It'll then find the next appropriate thing.

Definitely trying this - thanks!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

nexus6 posted:

My mind has been blown by the fact I can manually add torrents to my download client and as long as I correctly label them as 'sonarr' or 'radarr' they will be properly sorted into my Plex library. I use Jackett and while 90% of the time it does a good job at finding things, occasionally it will try to download a 25GB Bluray rip with 2 seeders instead of a 2GB file with 20 because afaik it prioritizes video quality over download speed/availability.

And here I was annoyed at the removal of the "drone factory" folder.... That kinda would work to replace it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

nexus6 posted:

Whaaaaat ok I definitely need to get that going.. is that by configuring sonarr/radarr somehow? I run those in unraid dockers.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

But Sonarr and Radarr can both already detect a torrent and send the info to Plex on completion already. Not sure what those specific torrent labels would be for?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

IDK what he means either, but you can just set Sonarr's folder to be your TV folder in PLEX, and PLEX will find everything Sonarr dumps there just fine.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
He means adding a torrent straight to the client without getting using Sonarr or Radarr to search and add it

stevewm
May 10, 2005
They are talking about stuff downloaded manually outside of Sonarr..

When Sonarr adds a torrent to a torrent client, it throws a label on it. When it sees any completed torrent with a label of sonarr on it, this kicks off the rename/move/import process. Torrents without this label are ignored by Sonarr.

By manually adding a TV torrent to your torrent client and setting the correct label you will cause Sonarr to kick off the rename/move/import process once it finishes downloading.

Sonarr used to have a feature called "drone factory" that basically did this. It was a folder it checked periodically; anything you threw in that folder would be ingested into Sonarr.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

The Gillman posted:

He means adding a torrent straight to the client without getting using Sonarr or Radarr to search and add it

Yeah, this. Sorry if I was unclear.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

sellouts posted:

Is this a hardware or software problem? They added Atmos via software I’d think bitstream out would be possible. 24p idk.

Not sure. You'd think if it was a software problem it would have been fixed by now, which points to it being a hardware issue? But it's Apple so they could just be being very stubborn about fixing it.

For someone that was asking above - most film and television content is mastered at 23.98fps. And a properly set-up AppleTV with "match frame rate" turned on will match to that frame rate and play just fine. But for some reason a lot of outlets (Netflix, Hulu, etc) have been mastering some of their more recent content at true 24fps instead of 23.98. But the AppleTV is unable to play back at 24fps, so it just plays the content back at 23.98 fps which results in a slight visual stutter every 42 seconds or so. It's subtle but once you notice it, it will drive you mad.

Regarding bit streaming audio, I read on AVSForum that Apple intentionally doesn't want to add this because the way they handle it now (decoding the audio on-device and sending it to your TV/receiver) allows them to insert their own GUI audio (I would assume for Siri but since Siri on ATV is mute, I guess it's just for the blips and boops when you move from button to button?). I don't know if this has any truth to it or if it's just someone's pet theory that they are presenting as fact.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The lack of bitstream is 100% because Apple doesn't need to bitstream any of its own audio, and it can reasonably assume streaming services don't need to either so there's not much of a backlash. It's a shame, as it's the one feature that I'd have liked to have implemented since the 4K box came out but just don't think it'll ever come. Stranger things have happened though.

Yeah the 24/23.967fps glitch has been a pain for a while. I remember a few years ago myself and some others on an ATV board were trying to work out why the gently caress it kept doing it before it became apparent they were using a pure 24fps feed. It's kinda weird they would buck tradition and come up with their own framerate mind, but I'm guessing it must help their workflow somehow. Or maybe not, who knows how these things happen.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I assume they’re just being stubborn, which sucks. The hardware is plenty good as is. I read VP9 is coming for 4k Youtube and it’s a software/codec issue.

WiFi 6 for it will be great until people wonder why they don’t see any benefit from their 6 year old AirPort Extreme

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'd bet the only way we get Bitstream is if Apple decides to market a more expensive "AppleTV Pro" and is in need of features to add to it to justify the "Pro" designation.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sellouts posted:

How does the processor upgrade affect Plex in any way? Isn’t that for their foray into gaming, which this is the Plex thread and also lol.

OSG’s points are fair but the box now is beyond fine for Plex in my experience. I see absolutely no problems or delays or hiccups.

I’m sure the new 4kTV will have Wifi6 which might help those of y’all that aren’t hardwired.

Eh, It'll get used for other poo poo. It's less about Plex performance and more about bang for buck overall. I've been waiting since November for RTX 3080s, I guess I'm happy to just wait

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I'm looking to replace an ancient nvidia ion box running the now defunct Plex media player distro.

If I want a similar appliance experience, is a shield the best option for the widest format compatibility with little hassle? Can it be configured to just boot into the Plex interface?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

I'm looking to replace an ancient nvidia ion box running the now defunct Plex media player distro.

If I want a similar appliance experience, is a shield the best option for the widest format compatibility with little hassle? Can it be configured to just boot into the Plex interface?

Yes except the boot to Plex bit. You could have Plex as your first app on the home screen requiring a single press of the centre button on the remote to open it (we do).

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I forgot one other thing that desperately needs to be fixed on AppleTV, specifically on Plex for AppleTV.

If I go to a show and just hit shuffle, it plays a random episode. Great. But if I don't want to watch this episode, WHERE IS MY SKIP EPISODE BUTTON. Right now I basically just have to swipe to the end of the episode. Admittedly, this could be because the AppleTV remote doesn't have a "next track" or "skip track" button, but there should still be some kind of workaround.

Also I'd like the option to turn off the Netflix-style "Up Next" thingy at the end of the episode, but that's not as big a deal.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Yes except the boot to Plex bit. You could have Plex as your first app on the home screen requiring a single press of the centre button on the remote to open it (we do).

Same

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I forgot one other thing that desperately needs to be fixed on AppleTV, specifically on Plex for AppleTV.

If I go to a show and just hit shuffle, it plays a random episode. Great. But if I don't want to watch this episode, WHERE IS MY SKIP EPISODE BUTTON. Right now I basically just have to swipe to the end of the episode. Admittedly, this could be because the AppleTV remote doesn't have a "next track" or "skip track" button, but there should still be some kind of workaround.

That’s a software thing though.

Cant you back out and Mark as played? Or a button similar to skip intro, but how long should that be up?

Also if you use a harmony remote you can hit the next episode button and it’ll skip to the next shuffles episode.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Looking for some advice - if this isn't the right place I can post this somewhere else.

My current setup is I have a mini PC running Windows 10 that has my Sonarr/Radarr/Jackett/Deluge processes and Plex running on a Nvidia Shield TV. There's an external hard drive connected to the Shield that has my library and is mounted as a network drive so the mini PC can write to it.

This works well in the sense that Sonarr/Radarr have web interfaces that I can manage from anywhere in my network. I'm familiar enough with Windows that it's easy enough to manage the mini PC directly if I need to.

The only annoying thing is that Windows will occasionally download updates and reboot itself without notifying me meaning I've got to plug in a monitor/keyboard and mouse and get everything going again.

I've tried using Ubuntu but tbh I'm not a regular Linux user so I'm not comfortable sorting out issues if/when they come up. Also I've never been able to get remote desktop to work Linux -> Windows (my main PC).

Anyone got any suggestions on improvements here (or where I should post this)?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

What's preventing you from using RDP after a reboot? You should just be able to sign in.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
#1 you should make sure everything runs on boot.

I run everything on a Windows 10 PC as well, including Plex. If the machine reboots is no big deal at all. Sonarr, Utorrent, Plex, etc... all start back up soon as the PC boots up and everything in back in business.

For the things that don't run as services, this can be solved by making Windows auto login. This little tool works great for that: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sy...0automatically. But I think you must be using a local account, not a Microsoft account.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

nexus6 posted:

Looking for some advice - if this isn't the right place I can post this somewhere else.

My current setup is I have a mini PC running Windows 10 that has my Sonarr/Radarr/Jackett/Deluge processes and Plex running on a Nvidia Shield TV. There's an external hard drive connected to the Shield that has my library and is mounted as a network drive so the mini PC can write to it.

This works well in the sense that Sonarr/Radarr have web interfaces that I can manage from anywhere in my network. I'm familiar enough with Windows that it's easy enough to manage the mini PC directly if I need to.

The only annoying thing is that Windows will occasionally download updates and reboot itself without notifying me meaning I've got to plug in a monitor/keyboard and mouse and get everything going again.

I've tried using Ubuntu but tbh I'm not a regular Linux user so I'm not comfortable sorting out issues if/when they come up. Also I've never been able to get remote desktop to work Linux -> Windows (my main PC).

I'm not a Windows 10 user but can you not turn off auto updates? I know Windows server you can but you should be able to do this.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Having windows auto-login to your account should solve this. Since it;s just a headless media server there shouldn't really be much in the way of security concerns.

You could also set your password to something simple enough to get through with just a keyboard connected, but that feels dumber.

Bonzo posted:

I'm not a Windows 10 user but can you not turn off auto updates? I know Windows server you can but you should be able to do this.

Windows has made it increasingly difficult to turn auto-update off. It can be done but it's annoying, and realistically it's probably best to get updates for security patches anyway.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Bonzo posted:

I think at this point you need to point a Win10 desktop at a WSUS server to have any control over updates.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Khablam posted:

What's preventing you from using RDP after a reboot? You should just be able to sign in.
RDP just doesn't work. At all. It's been such a pain to try and set up that I just use Teamviewer instead.

All those things are done and it still doesn't work. I can see the PC in the network browser and can even mount network drives, but RDP just does not work.

Edit

Microsoft posted:

You can use Remote Desktop to connect to Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise, Windows 8.1 and 8 Enterprise and Pro, Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate, and Windows Server versions newer than Windows Server 2008. You can't connect to computers running a Home edition (like Windows 10 Home).
What an excellent design choice.

stevewm posted:

#1 you should make sure everything runs on boot.

I run everything on a Windows 10 PC as well, including Plex. If the machine reboots is no big deal at all. Sonarr, Utorrent, Plex, etc... all start back up soon as the PC boots up and everything in back in business.

For the things that don't run as services, this can be solved by making Windows auto login. This little tool works great for that: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sy...0automatically. But I think you must be using a local account, not a Microsoft account.
Thanks! I'll look into this

Bonzo posted:

You'd think so but that's even harder than trying to get Windows' own Remote Desktop tool to work between two Windows 10 machines both connected via ethernet into the same drat router.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 17, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nexus6 posted:

RDP just doesn't work. At all. It's been such a pain to try and set up that I just use Teamviewer instead.

All those things are done and it still doesn't work. I can see the PC in the network browser and can even mount network drives, but RDP just does not work.

Edit

What an excellent design choice.

Thanks! I'll look into this

You'd think so but that's even harder than trying to get Windows' own Remote Desktop tool to work between two Windows 10 machines both connected via ethernet into the same drat router.

From what I remember RDP failure is typically firewall and/or router port related, especially when over the local network.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You could enable the OpenSSH feature and get real stupid.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Silly me, thinking you could just put shortcuts in the Startup folder to have them launch on boot :sigh:

Edit: Or maybe you can but they just take a long time to start? Anyway they all appear to be running but Deluge has a blank torrent list. If I click 'Stop Daemon' and manually restart it it comes back with my torrent list. Obviously this defeats the purpose of having it start automatically.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 17, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Kingnothing posted:

From what I remember RDP failure is typically firewall and/or router port related, especially when over the local network.

This. Now remember I'm not a Win10 user but I do know that you sometimes need to add a user to RDP setup if you are not logging in as Admin. Given the current state of some MS products, I would not doubt that they are locking down RDP more and more due to security.

However there are many more free options over RDP like VNC, TeamViewer and Guacamole https://guacamole.apache.org/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd generally avoid TeamViewer as they love to shut down accounts over 'corporate use' when there isn't any. I personally use Jump on all my machines, paid for it on MacOS and iOS but all the Windows versions are free AFAIK. If the machine reboots it'll still load the driver on my Macs at least, and I can log in remotely.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

My eyes glaze over on this windows stuff, should just set up an Unraid server instead and use dockers

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And my perspective is I can setup all these things easily enough on my regular OS and have no idea why people use Docker and similar convoluted (to me) setups. I guess go with whatever you're used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

My eyes glaze over on this Unraid and docker stuff, should just set up windows