Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks for laying that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Warbird posted:

People keep saying this but I’ve never really gotten my head wrapped around the whole scope of the matter. I assume people are either adding emulators with flags to launch a given rom as “games” for these programs to stream or they’re just up and streaming the emulator raw and using controllers or whatever to navigate the interface to them launch the roms?

Honestly, the best is to just setup Retroarch, and add that to Steam. You can also add Retroarch directly to Nvidia's list of gamestream titles, so you can stream it using Moonlight/Nvidia Gamestream.

As univbee said above, you can also launch games individually via shortcuts or links, but that rapidly gets hard to maintain if you have a large or "historic" game collection, like having multiple versions of arcade titles, or a single full romset really

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah that’s probably going to be the call. Never messed with RA outside of tinkering with Retropi from time to time so that should be fun; need to try that with Dolphin as well. Any particular benefit of going with Nvidia’s thing vs steamlink?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Glad they fixed sync and the other paid features before moving on to this at least! ;)

I do love plex a ton, but man there's so many nitpicky things I have that are never dealt with, never realised to their full potential (collections for example, although it at least seem custom ordering is in the code base now but it's going very slowly for something that doesn't sound too complicated), or just never added. Like, to adjust the added date to a collection I shouldn't need to open a database editor, give some more power to the web interface administration.

I've worked in tech a long time, and been thought a number of acquisitions and mergers. Moves like this scream "we are looking for a buyer!" as new (half broken) features are released and attempts to get revenue up in order make the books look good to investors.

brains
May 12, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I've worked in tech a long time, and been thought a number of acquisitions and mergers. Moves like this scream "we are looking for a buyer!" as new (half broken) features are released and attempts to get revenue up in order make the books look good to investors.

yep, they are on the train to revenue town and by god they'll get there by any means necessary, no matter how many half-baked subscriptions and broken features they toss out. consider any development or refinement of core features to be essentially over at this point. i half expect an update that knowingly breaks core functionality in order to add some new shiny thing to attract new subscribers any day now, because lifetime passholders are just cost centers at this point :capitalism:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

skywalker6705 posted:

As univbee said above, you can also launch games individually via shortcuts or links, but that rapidly gets hard to maintain if you have a large or "historic" game collection, like having multiple versions of arcade titles, or a single full romset really
You can just add the emulator .exe to steam and hit remote play.
No matter what .exe you point it at, it will run in a window/fullscreen as though you were at your PC.
You can swap from on-screen controller input to KB/M if you need to click a button, do file -> open or whatever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brains posted:

yep, they are on the train to revenue town and by god they'll get there by any means necessary, no matter how many half-baked subscriptions and broken features they toss out. consider any development or refinement of core features to be essentially over at this point. i half expect an update that knowingly breaks core functionality in order to add some new shiny thing to attract new subscribers any day now, because lifetime passholders are just cost centers at this point :capitalism:

I don't think they can be quite that blatant when Emby exists. Not until after their acquisition - gotta keep those user numbers up.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Motronic posted:

I don't think they can be quite that blatant when Emby exists. Not until after their acquisition - gotta keep those user numbers up.

The next phase will likely be the app with coming preinstalled on AndroidTV or Roku so they can say, "We are in over $number households!"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bonzo posted:

The next phase will likely be the app with coming preinstalled on AndroidTV or Roku so they can say, "We are in over $number households!"

That's one button on a Roku remote I actually wouldn't mid having. The other ones have only ever been pressed by accident.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Motronic posted:

That's one button on a Roku remote I actually wouldn't mid having. The other ones have only ever been pressed by accident.

The ShieldTV remote has a Netflix button and you better believe that thing launches Plex on my setup

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

99% I've done it this way before without issue but just to be sure...

In macOS I can use Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate a library from one drive to a new one (taking this particular one from an 8TB to a 16TB), shut down plex, rename the old drive volume to something new, rename the new drive volume to the same as the source, restart Plex Media Server and everyhing is tickety boo?

Lots of collection info etc and custom stuff on this particular one that I don't want to lose.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

99% I've done it this way before without issue but just to be sure...

In macOS I can use Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate a library from one drive to a new one (taking this particular one from an 8TB to a 16TB), shut down plex, rename the old drive volume to something new, rename the new drive volume to the same as the source, restart Plex Media Server and everyhing is tickety boo?

Lots of collection info etc and custom stuff on this particular one that I don't want to lose.

I did this on Windows to move from one build to another and I think there was a step-by-step I used from Plex's site or forums. It was a bit more involved. Probably worth a double check.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's probably this one - https://support.plex.tv/articles/201154537-move-media-content-to-a-new-location/

I've used that before and it works well, but in that circumstance it was basically moving a subfolder from /Volume/Old Drive/ to /Volume/New Drive/ mixed in with a bunch of stuff, and a new drive name etc so it needed the more involved element of having it see each duplicate first. I don't *think* Plex uses anything other than the volume name to associate where the files are, so if I'm cloning the drive it should theoretically work, I just can't remember if I've done it before!

I do have to follow that method later on though, there's a whole chunk of data being moved around this week. The main problem with these new big rear end drives is just how long that all takes.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So crossing my fingers I can get a HDHomerun Prime to work with my cable company, lol the effort in getting a cable card and a tuner adapter thank god there was a 60 year old lady that had worked there for 35 years and knew which cabinet they kept that crap in.

Anyway I will have a 4 tuner connect and a 3 tuner prime that I want to both work with my plex live DVR TV server. I plan on using the cable guide and then manually maping the OTA tuner to the channels available in the cable guide? (that it tunes) This should maximize my available channels I think.

Other people have suggested running 2 plex servers one for each guide and sharing the library location for the recordings?

Has anyone done either of these things?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

TheScott2K posted:

The ShieldTV remote has a Netflix button and you better believe that thing launches Plex on my setup

Same, I even bought the 5$ sticker some guy was making and now it says PLEX, too.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

TheScott2K posted:

How do you do this? Or alternatively, disable the button altogether, or make it play fart sounds over other apps?

Still getting that bizarre demuxing issue where the center channel is missing, on my other devices when I try to watch surround media over a stereo output. On a larf, I used a different browser and it worked fine. gently caress you some more, Chrome.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I don't know if it's a windows update, a chrome update or the latest plex update, but over the past two days, Plex has completely gone to poo poo on me.
Even on localhost on the device that's actually the server (so no bandwith issues), half the time I get audio but no video.

Toggling direct play and direct stream on and off sometimes helps, sometimes it doesn't.
Restarting the server seems to work a third of the time.
I never had any issues like this before. Just some audio popping a few weeks ago, but that was related to a volume control chrome extension.
Streaming to my tablet, phone and TV just works, without any issues.

I can't find anyone else that's run into this issue recently on the entire internet.

Anyone here have any idea about what could cause this?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
A few months ago someone here recommended turning an option on in the Nvidia Shield settings. The poster tried to help me but I couldn't find the option anywhere; it turned out I had the 2017 Shield or something so the option wasn't available to me. I'm planning on getting whatever the newest non-tube Shield is so I'd like to turn whatever this was ON but hilariously enough I don't remember what the option was and I can't find the post in this thread, even looking through my own posts. It had something to do with visual quality and was only an option in the 2019 or newer Shield. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Sorry this is so frustratingly vague.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Was it DLSS scaling?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

AI Upscaling? It’s front and center in the root menu (like right below the shutdown menu options). That and Dolby Vision are the only things that set it apart from the old Shield IIRC.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ah I take it that option is only for 4k TVs? Or does it like upscale 480p stuff to 1080p also?

Also it feels weird buying something called a 2019 Shield in 2021. Are they about to release a new version soon or something? They aren't available for normal price on Amazon any longer which is usually an indicator.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Ah I take it that option is only for 4k TVs? Or does it like upscale 480p stuff to 1080p also?

Also it feels weird buying something called a 2019 Shield in 2021. Are they about to release a new version soon or something? They aren't available for normal price on Amazon any longer which is usually an indicator.

It’s designed with 4K TVs in mind but it might still work for sub-1080p stuff on a 1080p TV. I think the only requirement is whatever you’re playing has to be at least 480p, sorry for your DBZ .rm fansubs from 1997.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Having gone from a 1080p to a 4K tv with the shield, I can tell you the AI upscaler ONLY works with 4k.

it will not upscale anything to 1080p

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

forest spirit posted:

Having gone from a 1080p to a 4K tv with the shield, I can tell you the AI upscaler ONLY works with 4k.

it will not upscale anything to 1080p

As someone with a 1080p TV, it will upscale 480p to 1080p. It's really impressive.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

This is the first I’m hearing of any of this. Is this a shield only feature?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

It's pretty clutch for standard def digital subchannels. Makes a pretty solid difference on PBS World and Create

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Warbird posted:

This is the first I’m hearing of any of this. Is this a shield only feature?

Sort of.

There are different upscalers that exist but Nvidia has a really sophisticated version that is pretty much straight magic. The Shield Pro just has that functionality built-in and it's also setup so you can enable or disable it or even do a split screen if you want a visual idea of what sort of a difference it's making.

It has low-medium-high settings. Generally speaking, the higher the setting, the sharper the final image will appear, but the more there's a chance of artifacting or similar imperfections being introduced into the picture.

It is definitely the best way to experience the majority of material that's 480p or higher while less than 4K without having to do something like manually re-rendering an upscaled version of your entire library.

This could be a game changer for the "my dad's lovely internet" use case, too, since I can feed it a low resolution file and get something pretty drat good back.

I might see if I can get a proper screen capture setup going. In the meantime here are some lazy pictures and videos I took of my screen, all files are 3 megabit 720p x265 videos, TV is 4K. White line divides the left side (no upscaling) with the right side (Nvidia's upscaling set to Low).

Even with a phone pic you can see the sharpness in the hair and wrinkles here.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

univbee posted:

Sort of.

There are different upscalers that exist but Nvidia has a really sophisticated version that is pretty much straight magic. The Shield Pro just has that functionality built-in and it's also setup so you can enable or disable it or even do a split screen if you want a visual idea of what sort of a difference it's making.

That's slick. Do you have any standard def live action content you could do the comparison on? I feel like even low bitrate 720p stuff looks good enough on 4k tv's regardless of who is doing the rendering. I'm curious to really see the magic.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I found some old 4x3 encodes of The Wire from back when the DVD was the best source material. There's an improvement but it's a little less impressive and also I think has a harder time with artifacting but I think a lot of that has to do with DVD being kind of a rough source to work from. I might do some testing later, I suspect you'd get better results if you had a Blu-ray and did a 480p encode from that than you would encoding from a DVD source.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Wacky Delly posted:

As someone with a 1080p TV, it will upscale 480p to 1080p. It's really impressive.

drat, I stand corrected, in all the time with the 1080p tv I couldn't even select the AI upscaler, it was greyed out. I have no idea why that is and now I want to grab the tv again just to test to see if it's a quirk of that panel or something. And I remember trying more than a couple of times to get it to work, because I have a little chunk of 480/720p content that I wanted to test out

Seems like after checking again that the Nvidia Shield Pro can upscale gamestream content, which is interesting

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

forest spirit posted:

drat, I stand corrected, in all the time with the 1080p tv I couldn't even select the AI upscaler, it was greyed out. I have no idea why that is and now I want to grab the tv again just to test to see if it's a quirk of that panel or something. And I remember trying more than a couple of times to get it to work, because I have a little chunk of 480/720p content that I wanted to test out

Seems like after checking again that the Nvidia Shield Pro can upscale gamestream content, which is interesting

I know they've added to the supported resolutions in their updates. Some of my DVD rips weren't straight 480p, and they didn't work, but one update in the last year or so fixed it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

univbee posted:

Sort of.

It has low-medium-high settings. Generally speaking, the higher the setting, the sharper the final image will appear, but the more there's a chance of artifacting or similar imperfections being introduced into the picture.

It is definitely the best way to experience the majority of material that's 480p or higher while less than 4K without having to do something like manually re-rendering an upscaled version of your entire library.

This could be a game changer for the "my dad's lovely internet" use case, too, since I can feed it a low resolution file and get something pretty drat good back.

Goddamn. I hope someone rolls our something similar for nonshield stuff. I’d assume you’d need a dedicated gpu or the like.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's not a bad tech to have in a set-top box, but if you're using a HTPC or even just a compute stick or something, you can get very similar results with a lot of PC-based players.
It's nothing more than a very light noise filter, and then a sharpening filter. The "AI" part mostly seems to be how it detects how much sharpening to use in a scene.

Not something you can particularly use with PLEX though, which is where the shield earns its value.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can I just copy the folder structure and all from my old plex server to my new on and have all the dvr recordings? I don't want to copy the setting I just want the old recording to be on the new server after I shut down the current one.

I copied just the library structure and all to the new PC and they work fine on the new server.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 7, 2021

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I have a 5.1 setup with a Sonos Playbase, sub and 2 play 1s. The sound coming through Plex is kind of lacklustre though. If I compare a film from Prime Video with the same film on Plex, the Prime version sounds noticeably fuller and more 'surround'.

All speakers are working with Plex, I'm just not sure they're working with true 5.1

My setup is an Nvidia Shield > Sony Bravia (via hdmi) > Sonos Playbase (via optical). I have audio passthrough disabled on Plex, enabling it seems to make no difference at best, or cuts sound out completely at worst. I can't find any other audio settings in Plex.

Is there anything else I can tweak to get Plex sounding right?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Anyway you could test eARC? I use optical with my bookshelf speakers and they sound pretty full, it doesn't feel like any frequencies are being cut out

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

forest spirit posted:

Anyway you could test eARC? I use optical with my bookshelf speakers and they sound pretty full, it doesn't feel like any frequencies are being cut out

Unfortunately not, the Sonos Playbase only has optical. To be clear, the setup side great with Netflix and prime video. It's just ones where it sounds flat

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

I have a 5.1 setup with a Sonos Playbase, sub and 2 play 1s. The sound coming through Plex is kind of lacklustre though. If I compare a film from Prime Video with the same film on Plex, the Prime version sounds noticeably fuller and more 'surround'.

All speakers are working with Plex, I'm just not sure they're working with true 5.1

My setup is an Nvidia Shield > Sony Bravia (via hdmi) > Sonos Playbase (via optical). I have audio passthrough disabled on Plex, enabling it seems to make no difference at best, or cuts sound out completely at worst. I can't find any other audio settings in Plex.

Is there anything else I can tweak to get Plex sounding right?

Settings on your TV are the most likely culprit. Could also be settings on the computer though. The computer needs to be shoving 5.1 to the tv (via the audio settings for the shield) over the HDMI, then the TV needs to shove 5.1 out to the Sonos.

I don’t have one so I’m not sure how possible this is, but the best result you’re going to get is connecting the sound directly to the shield.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tea Bone posted:

Unfortunately not, the Sonos Playbase only has optical. To be clear, the setup side great with Netflix and prime video. It's just ones where it sounds flat

Double check that plex isn't transcoding the audio on you, or that you're selecting the correct audio track. During playback open the status screen in a browser and see what it's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

To fully eliminate one having a different master/setup than the other, test it's properly passing through the right channels by downloading (some of) these files:
https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/

I have a handful and just leave them in their own personal media shows, then I can play them on any device I need to test.